Author Topic: Competitors ads displayed within active listings on eBay  (Read 8552 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Competitors ads displayed within active listings on eBay
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
from bnwt's thread
eBay Places Competing Ads in Paid Active Listings

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y12/m02/i14/s01

eBay have had paid ads on the site for a number of years and recently added extra advertising to the free casual seller listings.

Now check out what eBay is testing on the US site!

Adverts for similar items from other sellers within the listing - placed between the gallery pic and the item description!

http://blog.ecommercebytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2012/2/1329275396.html

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Competitors ads displayed within active listings on eBay
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »
eBay spokesperson Johnna Hoff confirmed the company was running the ads as part of a test. "To help improve the browsing experience for eBay customers, we are testing the exposure of certain merchandising modules on the View Item page to display related items from other sellers," she said.

:rofl: :rofl:

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »
marketing skills ..............they dont have them

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »
this is what happens when accountants run things

kind of explains a lot that is going on in the world

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 06:07:32 PM »
could be worse .... could be scholl teachers running things

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
eBay spokesperson Johnna Hoff confirmed the company was running the ads as part of a test. "To help improve the browsing experience for eBay customers, we are testing the exposure of certain merchandising modules on the View Item page to display related items from other sellers," she said.

:rofl: :rofl:

"To help improve the browsing experience for eBay customers

Don't you just love spin that has no basis in truth lol
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »
If I read it correctly, then I think they are trying to capture the exit traffic.

Definitely something worth testing if they don't afraid of losing some sellers there.

To help improve the browsing experience for eBay customers

I don't know about other.

Just saying as a coin collector buying coins from ebay, I completely agree with this statement. You just can't imagine what weird keywords some seller use for coins that you can never find their listings, if not for ebay recommendations.

If one thing, I am able to expand my coins vocabulary.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
Low, I don't have a problem with eBay placing ads on the listing page. But not right in the middle of the listing! The ads should be to the side or at the bottom. Not impressed as a seller that my potential buyers may be led away before they even get to read the description.

And as for the eBay spokesperson's quote "To help improve the browsing experience for eBay customers" .. eBay customers? Who exactly are eBay customers? Buyers on eBay are the seller's customers, not eBay's. When I am browsing a seller's listing I want to look at their pic and their description. I do not want to see an ad for another seller's items. It doesn't look like the ads are popups so I won't even be able to block them. Not impressed as a buyer if the ads are unavoidable.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »
Wheels,

I don't border so much about whether it is ebay's or seller's customer. As a buyer I see no difference here, hence my comment in the earlier post.

Some sellers always insisted deal within ebay, and no outside ebay transaction. So in this case am I the seller's customer? Or am I ebay's customer.

I am not a seller, so I can't speak from a seller's point of view.

As a buyer, I have no problem where the ads location or how distractive it is. I want to know where the good coin hides, and if ebay can point me to the right location (or perhaps wrong location to the seller) I am happy.

At the end of the day that is what matters to me.

Definitely not fair to the seller. But since when ebay has been fair to seller? Probably long, long time ago.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 10:46:17 PM »
I try to narrow my searches using particular keywords and filtering out other keywords. I don't want my careful search interrupted by eBay's ideas of what I might want to see. The've never yet been right in that.

Not a good idea, from my point of view as a buyer. It is annoying and it will probably drive away even more sellers, which isn't helping my buying experience at all.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"