Author Topic: Buying Asian Antiques on eBay  (Read 10355 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Buying Asian Antiques on eBay
« on: June 28, 2009, 02:07:46 AM »
Excellent eBay guide here.

New law - as of June 2009 in the Peoples Republic of China, exporting anything earlier than 1911 (the end of the Qing dynasty) is strictly forbidden. Also, President Bush signed an executive order just before he left office preventing the importation of Chinese antiques older than 250 years.  In Taiwan, anything 100 years or older cannot be exported. In the Peoples Republic of China, the penalties for smuggling "Cultural Relics" are severe. Lengthy imprisonment, and sometimes even execution. The Chinese Government  doesn't fool around. This is well documented on the internet.

FACT #5 - MOST SCAMMERS HAVE GREAT FEEDBACK!

Good feedback ratings on these western con artists do not mean that they are selling real antiques The types of customers who buy junk from these scam artists are mostly low feedback novices. They are all too happy to leave excellent feedback for their "genuine Ming Dynasty jade dragon pendant", or whatever piece of junk they just blew $100 on. They wouldn't know a real antique piece from a fake - so how reliable is their feedback? There are dealers out there who have thousands of sales and 99% positive feedback who have never sold a genuine piece their entire life.

Read the whole article for some extremely interesting information if you've been looking on eBay for this sort of thing.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
Re: Buying Asian Antiques on eBay
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Thankyou Countesa. That is interesting.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 07:25:45 PM »
It is interesting indeed, however I have always considered  the words "Asian" "Antiques" and "Ebay" combined to be somewhat of an oxymoron....
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 11:27:42 PM »
Yes liisa. I don't bother browse those listings anymore--- makes me feel annoyed.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:35:11 AM »
Another pet hate of mine is the terms "Antique like" and "Antique style" it's either a Bloody Antique or it is not IMHO.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!