Author Topic: re News Article "eBay buyers fleeced by teenage internet girl"  (Read 87593 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
eBay buyers fleeced by teenage internet girl
Online auction and selling site eBay is unable to explain how the girl managed to defraud users of up to $44,000.
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,27574,25694782-3102,00.html

from that article:

eBay spokesman Daniel Feiler said the fact that sellers had to register with Paypal and provide bank account details ensured sellers provided proof of identification to the site.

It was up to parents to ensure children were properly monitored when using online sites and users needed to protect themselves by using suggested safe payment methods such as Paypal, he said.

Mr Feiler said a system of providing 100 points of identification for registration as demanded by some sites would not stop online fraud.

"The best way to eliminate problems is to monitor activity," he said.

"Normally we can spot when there is trouble and we can shut it down and often we alert the police because we know what is normal activity."

He said buyers should always use Paypal because they were protected from fraud for up to $20,000.

Is this correct?

Do eBay monitor activity, or only rely on members reports of fraud?
Do eBay 'often' alert the Police? I was told it was up to me to contact the Police, due to privacy concerns.
Are buyers always protected from fraud for up to $20,000? I thought item listings from new sellers with less than 50 feedback only offered up to $400 protection.

cueperkins

Re: re News Article "eBay buyers fleeced by teenage internet girl"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:51:46 AM »
Hi wheels, you read my mind...Ive tracked down the precedental fraud study done in 2006 that literally predicted this issue to get out of control.  It also made some fairly prophetic recommendations which of course, Ebay summarily ignored.  I am emailing the link to Choice and the site that published this article....this type of Ebay related fraud is not exactly new?

Oh and by the way 4000 were defrauded in the EBS debacle...2400 hundred used paypal, DDD netted over a 1000 and LI, Well, Wheels, you'd know the numbers better on that particular debacle I'm sure.  And even now...Danny still 'likes to watch'

100 PT SELLER ID VERIFICATION IS THE ONLY WAY TO PREVENT or at the very least, POLICE FRAUD IN THE FIRST PLACE, AND DEFINITELY THE ONLY ANSWER TO RECIDIVIST FRAUD !!

Ebay need to finally get that....anyone interested in the executive summary on that precedent study I mentioned above, and which ABC were provided with, and quoted in their feature story, just click on the link.....I have the full study, if anyone wants to read the entire thing......very  long winded though this factual stuff is....lol.

http://www.comslaw.org.au/Portals/0/GoingGoingGoneEXECUTIVESUMMARY26.7.06.pdf

RiffRaff

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »
Hi Wheels. That's an interesting article. A real test case for promoting the use of PayPal.

This is an interesting quote too:

"I did everything eBay suggested I do to protect myself but eBay have completely abrogated themselves of any responsibility on this," Ms Eason said.

No, she didn't.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 11:00:29 AM »
That's right Riff. I learned my lesson and would never buy expensive items without using PayPal linked to my creditcard, so if I ever have to make a claim for refund I should be adequately covered.

But am I reading the PayPal Buyers Protection amount correctly? The way I read it, buyers are protected for a max of $400 on items from sellers with feedback of less than 50.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:10:10 AM »
I don't want to get into an anti or pro PayPal debate here, like I said, I prefer PayPal, but I understand and accept that others prefer not to use it. ;D  I have one more question.  

eBay spokesman Daniel Feiler said the fact that sellers had to register with Paypal and provide bank account details ensured sellers provided proof of identification to the site.

Is this correct? Do sellers HAVE to register with PayPal prior to listing an item?

I have read posts on the eBay boards of buyers saying that sellers do not have a PayPal account. Are the sellers just telling them that to avoid PayPal fees? If it is true, how do sellers open a PayPal account linked to a bank account linked to a fraudulent name used on a selling ID?

RiffRaff

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 11:10:30 AM »
Wheels, where did you see that?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 11:11:29 AM »
the Buyers Protection?

RiffRaff

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 11:12:24 AM »
Yes, Wheels you have to have a PayPal account to sell on eBay unless you are selling in the exempt categories.

RiffRaff

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 11:14:03 AM »
If you are are looking at Exhibit A in the user agreement:

This Policy applies to all payments effected using PayPal prior to 12.01am AEST on 17 June 2008.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 11:19:11 AM »
Thanks Riff, I hadn't read that bit! I was always cautious about buying off ID's with feedback less than 50 (and always wondered how they are supposed to build up their sales, and feedback, with a max limit of $400)  ;D

So this is the current cover:

#  Amounts that you may receive under PayPal’s Buyer Protection Policy.

IMPORTANT: For purchases made on www.ebay.com.au there is a maximum discretionary payment amount of $20,000.00 AUD.

PayPal is not obliged to pay any amount at all, or if it does decide to make a payment, to pay the maximum amount set out – you may, at PayPal's discretion, receive a payment which is less than the maximum of $20,000.00 AUD, but PayPal will not pay more than the maximum discretionary amount.

cueperkins

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 11:22:46 AM »
Paypal is not a preventative measure for fraud, it merely serves to make fraud functional and profitable to ebay....meanwhile it doesn't seem to matter that fellow Aussies get ripped off by sellers who are untraceable and largely unaccountable?

The fraud originates with the seller, (every single time) not the payment method and Ebay are negligent in their duty of care to consumers in NOT doing anything to verify who their sellers are, and making them accountable for their actions....at least then, police have a more direct avenue to pursue fraud charges...and dodgy sellers with 750 negs like EBS could be shut down before they rack up another 3200 victims.  As it is...it's anonymous sellers, anonymous buyers, and an absent landlord. 

Fraud is only addressed via active risk management...and Paypal's buyer protection is Discretionary not assured.... best not to forget that.  See their UA for further clarification of your consumer rights...or the lack thereof...as the case actually is.   And wheels you are right...this fraudster had managed to set the whole thing up under Ebay's nose?...a 14 year old no less?.....lmao.

Then ask yourself, what possible excuse Ebay could have for enabling fraudsters via their indifference, to engage in recidivist fraud in the first place, as easily as shooting fish in a barrel?  Anonymous access to a  nation wide pool of potential victims...and hey don't worry if you get defrauded...it's all part of the fun..!!

If they verified sellers, then they'd have a harder time signing on again and netting more unsuspecting victims while Ebay 'Watch'.  People would also think twice about committing fraud when accountability for same is impossible to avoid...you do the crime, you do the time.

RiffRaff

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 11:23:46 AM »
Yes, Wheels that outlines the current coverage if using PayPal. I have yet to hear of any legitimate claim where PayPal have used that discretion to avoid payment of a claim.

cueperkins

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 11:40:16 AM »
I've heard of, and in fact facilitated plenty of appeals against same actually....in fact I researched viable redress for thousands of fraud victims way back in early 2008, letting consumers know that they could seek redress against Paypal with BFSO.  Not that paypal advised any of their account holders of this mind you.  Ironically, this was so they could have Paypal's negative discretion reviewed and overturned objectively.

If you are going to quote EBS....make sure you're accurate...once again the seller, (a privileged cornerstone of the community powerseller actually) was responsible for voiding buyer protection by misquoting pre-sale terms on that particular fraud......which of course, ebay don't monitor or police before allowing sellers to advertise the Paypal protection logo.  Bit of a consumer suck in right?

So, if buyers don't know Paypal's terms and conditions backwards, they're literally stuffed.  No consumer protection tribunal or court would uphold that in the real world and thankfully, neither did BFSO in most cases.

And for all of you who have been duped by Paypal's endless twists and turns......make sure you remember that BFSO is your only redress...whether a buyer or seller it doesn't matter...you are a consumer in the eyes of the BFSO, and Paypal is the service provider so the case is against Paypal if they refuse to provide objective dispute resolution.

cueperkins

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 11:42:22 AM »
Oh, and isn't there another waiver in Paypal's buyer protection that says something along the lines of there having to be funds in the sellers account that Paypal can access for refund?

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 11:52:54 AM »
It is all very confusing - eBay needs to update their links and pages

This page says buyers have PayPal Buyer Protection of up to $1500 with sellers with 50 feedback and 98% positive.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/paypal/buyerprotectionprogram.html

cueperkins

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »
It is all very confusing - you got that straight...lol

RiffRaff

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 11:59:05 AM »
Yes, they do Wheels. That's certainly not in their best interests is it. The tiered coverage went out with the new buyer protection policy.

I agree Cupie. EBS as the seller were responsible for the fraud committed.

cueperkins

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 12:06:59 PM »
...and ebay do nothing to police monitor or verify dodgy sellers.  But they are nonetheless as responsible for allowing it to happen as it did. 

RiffRaff

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 12:15:01 PM »
........and eBay offer protection through a safe payment method........but ya can't get through to everybody........so, ya get what we had here...............

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 12:21:36 PM »
"Normally we can spot when there is trouble and we can shut it down and often we alert the police because we know what is normal activity."

You mention EBS Cupie. :) Ebay certainly did act quickly to shut that down, didn't they? If it hadn't been for the more aware members who used this site at the time..... goodness knows how many more victims there would have been. But then - wasn't a remarkable thing how the members who offered support and assistance came under fire! This thing was allowed to continue for a month after they were aware of the problem. Remember the terms...... 30 days delivery...... 20 days protection by PP? Wasn't that outside the Eb terms and conditions to start with?

I'm sure that they (Eb) do identify problems and shut them down..... but how many times has their 'noticing' been directly attributed to one or more of their members.

He said buyers should always use Paypal because they were protected from fraud for up to $20,000.

Well, I believed that too. Thank goodness for being able to link a credit card that offers a genuine guarantee as opposed to a discretionary one!

RiffRaff

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 12:27:13 PM »
My apologies, I thought this thread was about buyers who paid via Bank Deposit and got ripped-off.

I'll leave ya to it.................................

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 12:29:21 PM »
Riff,

Did you hear what actually happened to the people who paid by DD? I have heard nothing at all.

RiffRaff

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 12:34:25 PM »
No, r330 I've heard nothing about those buyers that used DD. Not such a good outcome I imagine.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »
It's I who owe you an apology here Riff - you're quite right.... the thread is about DD. I reacted to the aspect of buyer protection.

I still regularly use Paypal - except where the seller is known to me, and I'm able to save them some costs in fees.... DD suits best in this case. It would be nice if the invoicing had the ability to have a miscellaneous field - where the buyer had the option of adding a few dollars to offset the cost of the seller. I don't mind paying my way..... nor for the convenience offered.

llama

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2009, 12:45:20 PM »
It is all very confusing - eBay needs to update their links and pages

This page says buyers have PayPal Buyer Protection of up to $1500 with sellers with 50 feedback and 98% positive.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/paypal/buyerprotectionprogram.html

That page is outrageously out of date. I checked in Google and there are no pages that link to it.

How exactly did you find it?

llama

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2009, 12:48:15 PM »
Oh, and isn't there another waiver in Paypal's buyer protection that says something along the lines of there having to be funds in the sellers account that Paypal can access for refund?

Yes - but only if it's an OFF-eBay transaction, or one where the buyer pays but doesn't specifically link the payment to a eBay item.

PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy:
This policy applies to purchases that are made on non-eBay websites, or eBay websites that do not offer policies similar to this PayPal Buyer Protection Policy. This policy only applies to claims of “item not received”.

In order to be considered for the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy, your purchase must have all of the characteristics set out in paragraph 3 below, and you must comply with all of the buyer responsibilities in paragraph 5 below.
IMPORTANT: If you are eligible under PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy, PayPal may try to recover your payment from the seller, but recovery of your payment whether in whole or in part is not guaranteed. Your potential recovery is limited only to the amounts that PayPal is able to recover from the seller.

https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_buyer_complaint-outside#complaint-policy

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2009, 12:48:30 PM »
Llama,

it's the linkthrough from the Community Page

http://hub.ebay.com.au/community

on the right, in the 'What's New'  ;D section,

click on

Everyone's doing it! Simple and safe shopping on eBay. Click here for more information

cueperkins

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2009, 12:49:47 PM »
Hi r3830...funny thing, I was thinking of you when I posted that...lol....to be precise, ebay shut down ebs on 30/7/08, but by that stage, the horse had bolted to Melbourne and was lining up for the Melbourne cup with winning odds....lmao.

They also owed ebay some outrageous amount of money for fees i.e. approx $150,000 or thereabouts....and STILL, they allowed them to trade either insolvent or fraudulently.  I contacted ASIC at the time and asked them about their views on companies trading insolvent on Ebay's marketplace?...not covered under their legislation, which is not to say that it won't be in the future.  After all, ebay was facilitating a company that was either defrauding consumers or trading insolvent....either way, it's not very responsible of them is it?

The only reason Paypal bit the bullet on that one was to avoid any further negative press...AND...many consumers who had lodged complaints prior to Paypal coming to the party, had already had Paypal's decision overturned by BFSO......  

BTW...the dd customers had no real means of redress, because fraud is functional on ebay and sellers unaccountable (as is ebay)....some may have lodged fair trading complaints and been refunded by Ebay, but I'd have to go and check the data bases of fair trading/consumer affairs in each state to say confidently that any were refunded.   There were also claims on the administrator appointed to clean it all up but I have no idea how it eventuated.  Ebay was the second on the list of applicants for reimbursement though...to hell with the DD victims right?  How silly of them to engage in 'extreme consumerism' and use b/deposit...lol

Oh, and reading over this article again, it mentions a lot more than DD...seems to mention numerous aspects of buying on Ebay....anyway..JMO

RiffRaff

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2009, 12:53:29 PM »
Not at all r3830, buyer protection is an important issue. You're very generous in that you would offer to pay the extra.....but most buyers would see that as a surcharge they don't need to pay.

G'day Llama.

llama

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2009, 01:00:46 PM »
Llama,

it's the linkthrough from the Community Page

http://hub.ebay.com.au/community

on the right, in the 'What's New'  ;D section,

click on

Everyone's doing it! Simple and safe shopping on eBay. Click here for more information

I've just reported that page to eBay - that info is literally 2 years old, if not more.

llama

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2009, 01:09:45 PM »
It would be nice if the invoicing had the ability to have a miscellaneous field - where the buyer had the option of adding a few dollars to offset the cost of the seller. I don't mind paying my way..... nor for the convenience offered.

I doubt that they would add a misc field. But I pay extra quite often... just ask the seller to re-invoice adding a bit on the postage to cover themselves.

Most sellers say no, because it's such an insignificant amount... 30c plus 2.4% on a $20 sale is only 78 cents, and on $50 it's only $1.50 - which is hardly worth the time to re-invoice.

The only times I have ever been ripped off on eBay is when I've paid by Bank Deposit. My 85 year old mother got done last year for over $300 on an eBay purchase of Microsoft Office which she paid by DD. I can assure you she is extremely savvy and persistant, and has lodged police reports, contacted and made official complaint to fraud squad etc... and there is no refund and no way of getting one.

Paypal may not be perfect, and their contracts are a minefield of loopholes and legal jargon - but they do protect the consumer infinitely more than the Banks do for direct deposit payments.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2009, 01:14:34 PM »
Do eBay monitor activity, or only rely on members reports of fraud? - Wheels, from what Mr Feiler and others have stated publicly, eBay rely largely upon members reporting fraud. (Then he turns around and contradicts himself, or mitigates what he's said.) That's why extreme_redeye, for instance, maintains a running list of suspicious items from accounts that seem to be hijacked, reporting them to Trust & Safety on an alarmingly regular basis. If he and the various members who help him weren't doing that, there would be a great many more instances of undetected fraud.

Frankly, I don't think eBay monitor activity which might be fraudulent. I think there are a couple of automatic protocols in place - some sellers will have experienced them. These protocols automatically limit a seller's ability to list if they add a "designer" item to their listings, or start selling things they've not sold before, or start selling high-value items in some quantity. That doesn't help with a great many fraudsters - who know exactly how to manage this. Apparently these well-aware fraudsters build up feedback rapidly, may start listing from China (with "wow that's a lot cheaper!" prices + postage that might not be quite as cheap) or use a hijacked account to list from Australia, and bypass those rudimentary automatic protocols.

Nothing that eBay had in place "detected" EBS... and that's just one large-scale example. I think it is fair to say that eBay don't physically monitor activity. I don't believe they have staff whose task it is to monitor for suspicious listings. I believe that eBay has simply set up some automatic bots which automatically limit sellers when one of the protocols is triggered (and many of these sellers are legitimate and are deeply annoyed at having their accounts sanctioned, without even knowing WHY).

Do eBay 'often' alert the Police? I was told it was up to me to contact the Police, due to privacy concerns. - Wheels, I don't believe that eBay often alert the police. I cannot prove this. I can only say that every individual I know who's been a victim of fraud on eBay has actually had the greatest difficulty in getting eBay to do ANYTHING, and none of these individuals were told "We've contacted the police about this fraud". It would be remarkable if all the defrauded people I know and know of (and there are more than 100) are exceptions to the rule of eBay "often" alerting the police. I know even of two instances where eBay were reluctant to release any data to the police, not in refusing to do so but in spinning out the process so that the police sent three "reminders" for the information over a 4-6 month period.

Are buyers always protected from fraud for up to $20,000? I thought item listings from new sellers with less than 50 feedback only offered up to $400 protection.
As long as your purchase is "eligible", it's covered up to $20,000. As Riff mentioned, you might be looking at the clause related to purchases made prior to June 2008. But check the eligibility criteria - it doesn't cover pre-sale items that won't be supplied for more than 20 days; it doesn't cover vehicles and other vehicular items; it doesn't cover non-physical items; and so on. Excepting that, yes - buyers are covered for up to $20,000. Oh, lest I forget... of course this only applies if you open a dispute within 45 days. You may not open a dispute if a) you don't often buy online and are unaware of a 45-day deadline; b) your seller explains by email several times and very convincingly why there is a delay and to please be patient; c) you don't notice the item has a problem until 45 days have passed; and so on. PayPal won't let you open a dispute AT ALL if it's so much as 1 second past the 45-day period. I am perfectly serious - one second will make the difference.

But IF your transaction is eligible and IF you open a dispute within the required timeframe, you can be reimbursed. (PayPal say it's at their discretion, so they do have a get-out clause, but so far they appear to be refunding, and when they don't it's usually down to their saying the claim is rejected under the wrong PayPal policy.) Note, though, that it doesn't cover return postage of an item not as described, and this is a problem when the postage is as costly or more costly than the item itself - as I established with the "Italian seller" problem I have.

You mentioned sellers being unable to sell on eBay unless they have a PayPal account. NOT TRUE. A seller is perfectly able to list an item without actually having a PayPal account. They are able to tell the buyer  they have problems at the moment with their PayPal account so please pay some other way, or some other excuse or encouragement towards another payment method, but of course if the buyer insists on using PayPal, the seller is up the doodad and can be reported. Perhaps what Riff means is that the seller is obliged to OFFER PayPal on the listing, but eBay don't at present cross-reference seller information with PayPal account holders.

I agree with Cupie on the issue of ID verification, and can't for the life of me see why eBay or PayPal considers this a problem. I've talked elsewhere about Paypal piggy-backing onto the verification gained by banks, and the problems this raises. Oils ain't oils - and banks ain't banks. Australian banks are far more secure than US banks, for instance... and let's not talk about other online bank accounts on offer by far less scrupulous banks. A bank's security and protocols are defined under a regulating body and fall under the guidelines established by that regulating body. If the regulating body is dubious, slack, insufficient, not enforced, doesn't exist or is able to be ignored, then banks under that regulating body offer an appalling lack of security.

This is also why some individuals are highly dubious about using PayPal. I know we're all aware by now that PayPal doesn't come under the regulating body that governs Australian banks... Anyway, that's another issue. On the subject of paying someone of whom one has no personal knowledge, no way of gaining redress if the deal goes sour, etc., I agree PayPal is the only method that offers compensation on eBay. eBay have set it up in that way. (If only eBay would allow merchants who have merchant accounts to offer card payments! I'd be happy to pay that way.)

Getting back to the article... "She believes the online auction site is not prepared to protect buyers from bogus sellers hiding behind fake identities." Yes, I agree. eBay is not prepared to do that, and relies on eBay members reporting listings to a large extent.

Daniel Feiler said "It was up to parents to ensure children were properly monitored when using online sites" - oh, this is simply silly. Sorry. I can't put it any way. What nonsense! Mr Feiler, that's silly, silly, silly. Would you use this line if a 14-year-old held you up at gunpoint and shot you, robbed you, kicked you and ran off? If you discovered the 14-year-old had purchased the gun from a gunseller using fake ID that wouldn't have fooled a child? Wouldn't you blame the gunseller for having sold the gun? Or would you magnanimously forgive the gunseller for not checking the ID, not checking the permit, not checking the age of the buyer, and go straight into Blame The Parents mode? Primarily you'd be angry at the 14-year-old, surely... but I cannot imagine you'd consider the gunseller behaved in any properly. It's illegal to provide cigarettes to those under-age. It's illegal to sell drinks to those under-age. In what way do you consider eBay has the right to remove responsibility for checking that its members are under-age? Did you know, Mr Feiler, that "I didn't know he/she was under 18" is not accepted as an excuse against criminal charges when selling alcohol to minors? Did you know about the fines those sellers receive, and the possibility of gaol-time?

As you can see, I very strongly reject Daniel Feiler's statement above as being in any way adequate.

But then we come to this... "But Ms Eason said she was following eBay's suggested payment steps after the girl first refused payment by Paypal and then demanded payment by direct deposit.
"I did everything eBay suggested I do to protect myself but eBay have completely abrogated themselves of any responsibility on this," Ms Eason said."
Ms Eason didn't do "everything eBay suggested" for protection, or she WOULD have used PayPal. Let's be realistic. eBay pound home PayPal PayPal PayPal PayPal over and over again. If Ms Eason had done everything eBay suggested, she'd have paid by PayPal regardless of the girl's refusing PayPal payment.

Now, this doesn't mean I don't believe eBay has a responsibility to assure its members when they purchase through eBay of protection irrespective of payment method. I DO believe this. I don't believe payment method ought to be the criterion on which protection is extended or withheld. However, my belief is just that - my belief. In terms of eBay's policies, eBay doesn't operate according to my beliefs. It does only offer protection for payment via PayPal. I may disagree with this, but all the same, my alarm bells would go off if a seller (for a transaction that involved a significant amount of money) refused a PayPal payment. I can understand it if a seller were in Germany or Italy and not offering Paypal at all. I can understand it if a seller were local and offering the item for pickup. (I regard PayPal as iniquitous in that situation.) But in the circumstances, yes, my alarm bells would go off. At the very least, I'd be calling the seller to have a talk before deciding anything. I might still go ahead and pay by bank deposit. But if I did this without checking the seller, I would feel myself to be incredibly foolish.

I do refuse to be fooled into thinking PayPal is the be-all and end-all of security. It's not. But there are certainly instances when the refusal to accept PayPal indicates a possible problem. The buyer should be wary in those circumstances. There's no need to think all people refusing to accept PayPal are dodgy, but there IS a need, I think, to be cautious and to assure oneself of the genuineness of the transaction. Isn't that what we do with purchasing in other venues as well? I would be a fool to buy a "rare genuine object of antiquity, oh yes fully genuine, direct guaranteed from ancient pyramid, I guarantee it, missy" from an oily-smiled stranger in an Egyptian market, wouldn't it? I would be an IDIOT to hand over thousands of dollars for this "rare genuine object of antiquity". I would feel more secure to be handing over thousands of dollars if the object were offered for auction by a reputable antiques auction house such as Christies. In fact, if the object were fake, and if Christies hadn't established the seller's bonafides, Christies would be responsible. In other words, the venue holds responsibility for the genuineness of the items, and in the event of the seller not being able to be contacted when a problem (such as failure to supply) arises, there is precedent for the venue to be held responsible.

For eBay's OWN safety, why don't they verify their members? I come back to this point again and again...  but so far eBay are escaping the responsibility by claiming it ISN'T their responsibility.

I don't think the buyer has any responsibility to investigate the seller's age on eBay. The buyer should be able to trust that eBay has done that already.

I don't think the buyer has an absolute obligation to investigate the seller's verity on eBay either, because I believe that too is eBay's responsibility - but I do consider that it's WISE for the buyer to do that. I think that not relying on eBay's standards of verification is essential because I don't believe eBay is doing anywhere near ENOUGH to verify sellers.

I feel greatly sorry for Ms Eason and all of those who were caught in this fraud. I don't think they did everything possible to protect themselves. But I think that if they took this to court, it will be shown that they had reason to believe eBay would protect them. I think that the court would direct eBay to recompense them, and would reiterate the points made in the Evagora vs eBay case. ("Evagora claimed for his loss against eBay, arguing that he did not read eBay’s user agreement, and that eBay represented that the auction site was safe, which overrode the terms of the user agreement. eBay was held liable by the Tribunal for the loss suffered by Evagora.")
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

llama

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2009, 01:24:22 PM »

Is this correct? Do sellers HAVE to register with PayPal prior to listing an item?

I have read posts on the eBay boards of buyers saying that sellers do not have a PayPal account. Are the sellers just telling them that to avoid PayPal fees? If it is true, how do sellers open a PayPal account linked to a bank account linked to a fraudulent name used on a selling ID?

No, Sellers do NOT have to register with Paypal to list. Sellers must provide an email address for Paypal payments when they create the listing. That email address is NOT checked to see if it is a genuine Paypal account, and they can actually have different Paypal addresses for each item, because it's linked to the listing not the seller.

However, in order to WITHDRAW the funds paid to that PP email address, the seller must have a linked Bank Account, which means a 100 point ID check. So, if the seller uses a fake PP address, they cannot get the money and Paypal simply returns it to the buyer. It is almost impossible to defraud a buyer who pays by Paypal.

So, the seller can retrospectively open the PP account if they like - no matter what, they cannot collect the $ until they link and verify that PP account to their bank account. The only "loophole" is that buyers can still be coersed into using NON-Paypal payment methods, and as soon as that happens then they are not protected.

This could also occur with other payment systems, for example by the Buyer being convinced to pay by cash, etc. The eBay site is really clear that buyers are NOT covered if they don't use Paypal, so it's up to the Buyer to make that choice when they pay and make sure that they are aware of the risks.

Apart from all the other warnings, if eBay explicitely states (in Checkout) something like "You are definitely not covered if you pay this way, and we REALLY don't recommend this" and the buyer must click a button to "agree" - then surely the Buyer cannot expect to be subsequently covered if something goes wrong?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2009, 01:27:06 PM »

No, Sellers do NOT have to register with Paypal to list. Sellers must provide an email address for Paypal payments when they create the listing. That email address is NOT checked to see if it is a genuine Paypal account, and they can actually have different Paypal addresses for each item, because it's linked to the listing not the seller.

Snap!  :snipe: (That's the snipe emoticon. It looks somewhat aggressive, though... and naturally I would never shoot an admirable-looking llama. Not even for its head on the wall as a trophy. Mind you, I can't guarantee the same from Ubbrd...)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2009, 01:33:59 PM »
Cupie.... I don't know whether you remember..... but it was you who motivated me to continue at the time! I haven't forgotten that - and thankyou! :)

The only reason Paypal bit the bullet on that one was to avoid any further negative press...AND...many consumers who had lodged complaints prior to Paypal coming to the party, had already had Paypal's decision overturned by BFSO......

I had the pleasure of meeting the people who conducted the Australian end of Paypal during that dispute. They were lovely people, trying to resolve a very difficult dilemma. We complain about the terms and conditions..... imagine having to eat and breathe these things on a daily basis. They certainly weren't robots... and I wonder whether they actually do remain. You couldn't help but feel for them. Kind, decent and considerate people.

Sadly, I did not meet Mr Pipolo - who I would have certainly explained in very plain, simple and clear words.... the meaning of integrity!

BTW...the dd customers had no real means of redress

That's right..... they were waiting on liquidators, which could be a long wait - for very little, if any return.

Riff,

You're very generous in that you would offer to pay the extra

And you're very kind :)..... but when I pay a phone bill, (2%) book an airline ticket, (4%) or go to the local computer shop (1%) I am expected to pay a surcharge to offset the seller's costs. Why shouldn't the seller be given the same opportunity regarding paypal payments - as appears to be the acceptable industry standard outside Ebay, in this country? The organisations listed above are much bigger than a seller on Ebay - and yet, they aren't expected to absorb the cost. Seems a little unfair to me.

The compulsory Paypal debate ended in a must offer paypal outcome. Why then can't the sellers have the equal opportunity of also passing on their costs?

Just a thought.

imperfect

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2009, 02:04:23 PM »
I agree, we should be allowed to pass on this cost to the buyer.

But I'm not permitted to do this, if I choose to sell on eBay, so I need to either stop using eBay, or make these rules work for me and my buyers.

There is no argument from me that paypal, with all it's fees is still the easies, cost affective and safest way for me to trade over seas and for higher priced items in Au.

I guess, there will always be scammers working out ways to cash in on on-line trade, the only things to do are, either not trade on-line or use the most safest way on offer and keep yourself updated.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
Imp, would you agree it would be fantastic if sellers who had merchant accounts could sell on eBay without being required to offer PayPal, as long as they offered payment by c/c?

That would be something I'd regard as a real step forward for sellers.

(By the way, if that ever happens, I'd be glad to give you some information on the costs; it certainly works out cheaper than PayPal's fees.)

Buyers would be covered by their credit card provider, under the EFT Code of Conduct.

It would be win-win for the buyers and sellers.

I do have my doubts that eBay would ever permit it.

imperfect

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2009, 02:24:38 PM »
It would be good Countess, although I am not sure how currency exchange would work?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2009, 02:35:19 PM »
It works without any problem at all. I accept payments from people all over the world with my CDs, and sheet music, and so on. Their own c/c provider performs the exchange, just as when I use my card to buy from overseas online shops.

Usually my account's payment gateway clears the funds within 24 hours.

I have access to the payment gateway panel to process phone sales as well, or manual sales. I can check with banks or card providers about the legitimacy of the card holder if I have any doubts - and can veto or approve sales on that basis.

But *sigh* unless eBay allow this to be offered as a payment option for sellers who have such merchant accounts, it's all pointless in terms of eBay. It's good for those who have their own websites and offer online payments - but it must be frustrating for sellers who also sell on eBay and who have a merchant account.

And of course it doesn't help hobby sellers.

I must check this story about the 14-year-old more closely for details. How is it that she was able to sell on eBay? I don't know enough about it yet...

imperfect

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2009, 03:00:35 PM »
Interesting!!

cueperkins

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2009, 03:25:10 PM »
Very true Countess.......ID verification would deter so much fraud, because people would know that their real ID is attached to that conduct and accountability is inescapable....now if Ebay were serious about protecting consumers as CHOICE magazine pointed out (not for the first time either), then they'd at least consider doing something to make sellers accountable under our criminal laws.  At least it's something proactively aimed at accountability and real consumer protection.

Failing that, they should introduce buyer protection insurance for other payment methods as they have had to do in the US.  That way, ALL consumers are protected.

I Stopped selling when Paypal came in, because there are some things in life where you have to stand on principle, and it seems many thousands of other hobby sellers did exactly that and stopped selling.   

I think at the very least, Ebay should do the right thing and tell consumers to stop buying on Ebay if they prefer B/deposit as a payment method because Ebay will do nothing if they are defrauded....Let them know that it's a game of Russian Roulette...you win some, you lose some......I wonder how the buying public would view that revelation?  As I've said before, Ebay have made fraud functional by commodifying it into a product called Paypal...genius really....extreme capitalism at it's very best.

Countess....I agree that merchant facility would be a great idea...at least the protection is real and merchant accounts have full ID verification and legal accountability....  But I also think B/deposit has it's place with small purchases within Australia, and a modest insurance would enable buyers to feel safe using b/deposit...e..g. 50 cents to $1.00 fee for buyer protection up to $100 - $250.00 etc.

imperfect

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2009, 03:32:45 PM »
I guess, both ways are safe, it all depends on the person?

I bought and paid for a service on-line, when I went to use this service it was nothing like was advertised, at all, I contacted the provider and had no responce I waited 8 days.  

I put a complaint into paypal and got a responce the very same day from the seller, it was sorted very quickly there after, my point is that I was able to simply go into my paypal account and activate this stop, if I had used my CC, I would of had to make phone calls etc and maybe waited days.  

I guess for me I found it convenient to use paypal (as a buyer)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2009, 03:41:36 PM »
With reference to purchasing from this "teenage internet girl", if the buyers had waited past 45 days to complain (and sellers can be very, very clever indeed in convincing buyers to wait) the payment method would have been immaterial.

To take advantage of PayPal's protection policy, one HAS to lodge a dispute within the 45 day period.

Of course the buyers appear to have used bank deposit. Getting a full refund is clearly unlikely. I'm left considering the question of to what degree eBay are responsible for allowing this teenager to trade on eBay.

What protocols are in place to STOP a scamming teen from listing on eBay?

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2009, 03:43:24 PM »
Mr Feiler said a system of providing 100 points of identification for registration as demanded by some sites would not stop online fraud.

yes this true   BUT   it would certainly greatly reduce fraud

from my observation eBay have no interest in spending money or resources on stopping fraud when they can sit back with their head in the sand and hope it slips under the radar

and as for Mr. Failer's comment that 'monitoring' these situations is best, how many examples can you think of when people on these boards have discovered fraud happening and trumpeted it's occurrence to eBay and they do nothing

I believe the only time they monitor fraud is well and truly after the horse has bolted and then they try and use it to sing the praises of their shonky payment system paypal

RiffRaff

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 03:49:47 PM »
What protocols are in place to STOP a scamming teen from listing on eBay?

Regardless of the nature of the on-line scam, buyers need to take responsibility for their own actions. This sort of scam exists all over the internet, it's not unique to eBay.

The buyer in the 'teenage' case put themselves in a position to be scammed by ignoring the warnings that eBay/PayPal offer.

RiffRaff

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2009, 03:59:06 PM »
A devout Christian heard an urgent news report on his radio that a flash flood was within minutes of entering the peaceful valley where he lived. Immediately he went to his knees and prayed for safety. The words were still on his lips when he became aware that water was gushing under his door. He retreated to the second floor and finally onto the roof of his house.
While he sat on the roof, a helicopter flew by and the pilot asked over the loudspeaker if they could lift him off. "It's not necessary since I have the Lord's protection," he replied.
Moments later the house began to break up and he found himself clinging to a tree. A police boat, braving the waters, approached him for rescue, but he assured them that the Lord would save him. Finally, the tree gave way and the man went to his death.
Standing before the Lord, he asked, "Lord, I'm glad to be here, but why didn't You answer my prayer for safety?"
The Lord responded, "Son, I told you over the radio to get out of there. Then I sent you a helicopter and a motor boat!"

cueperkins

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2009, 04:05:33 PM »
Actually, consumer protection laws say quite the opposite Riff, and blaming the victim isn't a good look in any injustice........ I can probably come up with a number of fair trading/consumer affairs cases and public/product liability and personal injury cases, where that was demonstrated time and time again....

Basically, the law requires that any risk should be CLEARLY STATED, so as be anything but ambiguous, and so the consumer is fully informed of any risk they may be taking in the use of Ebay's marketplace......if that isn't the case, then the liability falls onto the trader and venue, not the buyer who by definition is the victim of fraud. 

BNWT.....totally agree with what you've said...no deterrent at all is nothing short of negligent.....but then....Paypal is the answer to Fraud...so buyers better stop this extreme consumerism, and conform to the paypal push...or suffer the consequences of a marketplace with no deterrents against fraudsters.

As I said, a great big sign on the home page of ebay telling b/deposit customers about the risk openly and unambiguously, and why that risk exists unmitigated.....would be perfect...that way, more and more victims won't fall into this perpetual fraud trap.   

But I guess in the meantime, blaming the victim works well too.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2009, 04:08:55 PM »
I sure some people here have a laptop strapped to themselves !.... no matter whether it's day or night you guys are here !... come over and give me a hand steam cleaning my carpets!.. I've been at it from 7am.. I'm bluggered !...

Sorry to interrupt the topic...

cueperkins

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2009, 04:10:21 PM »
Easy solution...get rid of your carpets...I have tiles downstairs and floorboards upstairs...easy.

RiffRaff

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2009, 04:14:18 PM »
.............some people ya just can't reach..........

This is all much simpler than it's being portrayed Cupie. Just ask yourself if you would deposit over $2000 into a strangers bank account.

I know what my answer would be....................