Author Topic: Is this to blunt"  (Read 17437 times)

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
Is this to blunt"
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:44:20 PM »
I have been having an issue or two with the same seller.

The first issue relates to a cheap item  Sony CR2032 2032 CR DL2032 Watch Lithium 3v battery x2 BIN AU $1.50 Item number: 250442158057  I purchased Two and paid $3.00 via check out. Only one pair turn up and seller is having trouble understanding that the second pack was not sent.

The second issues relates to 16x AA NiMH 2500 Rechargeable 2A Recharge 1.2v Battery
Item number: 250444150764 I have been emailing back and forth regarding an issusse that these batteries, they are not any where near there rated capacity and I am quite peeved with the lack of response to my complaint.
So after 4 emails explaining my problem I have had it with him and gave him a serve.

Depending on his reply a big red is heading his way for both transactions.
Am I over reacting at being peeved?
Its my first bad experience with HK based sellers.

The CR2032 battery  two were ordered and paid, Only one pair were sent.

As for the BTY AA NiMH I have since tricked charged for 12 hours and cycled them with a computerised charger and they still do not take more than 500ma charge.

They are totally useless and rubbish.

I am an experienced R/C modeller and a licensed Armature Radio operator so I understand rechargeable batteries and have the equipment to test them.

My experience so far has been very negative and I will not be wasting any more time with this if you are not interested in resolving the problems, I am sure you are aware of this issue with these batteries.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Is this to blunt"
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:18:40 PM »
I think you may need to use the active rather than the passive tense to explain the problem, Hawk. Your seller clearly understands English, but it's easy to forget that this doesn't mean an ability to converse and read and write to the same extent as a native speaker.

For example, what about this for the first issue?
I paid you for two (2) of the CR2032 battery pairs (item number 250442158057). You only sent one (1) pair of the batteries. You must send me the second pair of batteries, because I paid for two pairs.

And for the second issue... perhaps something like this?

Also, I paid for 16x AA NiMH 2500 Rechargeable 2A Recharge 1.2v Battery (item number 250444150764). The batteries that you sent me will not take more than 500ma charge, even after I tried charging the batteries for 12 hours, and even after I cycled the batteries with a computerised charger. Obviously these batteries either DAMAGED or FAKE. (I am qualified to say this, as I am an experienced R/C modeller and a licensed Amateur Radio Operator. I have the equipment to test rechargeable batteries.) I am sorry to say this, but in all honesty the batteries you sent me are useless. I would call them rubbish.

My experience so far has been very negative, and I am reluctant to waste my time in further communication with you about this if you are not interested in resolving the problems. I do think you must be aware of the problems with these batteries; they do not hold the charge that you stated in your listing.

Please communicate quickly with me about a satisfactory solution.

All right, I toned it down just a little. Maybe the seller doesn't know that what he's listing doesn't meet the specifications he states.

But if you want to send what you wrote, you have every right to. Bear in mind - I think sellers are more inclined to reimburse dissatisfied customers when the customer is a little bit tactful, but you should feel able to express yourself with the very real dissatisfaction you feel. I hope it works out!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

gr8-expectations

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »
OR - "Where the flock is my other battery!!!@@@###" may work better....

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 01:30:30 PM »
Thanks Countess I have already sent it before I posted here.

There are always better ways to put things than I often do.

To say I was annoyed when I wrote that is an understatement.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 01:35:32 PM »
I know the feeling...! I'm still feeling annoyed with "my" Italian seller.

Good luck, Hawk - I hope you receive a refund or the proper supply of what you purchased.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 01:39:52 PM »
Hi Hawk, I agree the lack of interest on the sellers part to resolve this is a concern, just curious.. wouldn't these battery's be cheaper to buy in Aust ?...by the time postage get's added to the cost I would have thought the Aust product would work out cheaper or the same as the oversea' s product...  

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 04:48:52 PM »
There are batteries and then there are batteries - as you are no doubt aware, Hawk.

The risk is getting them from a seller where recourse is difficult and/or expensive.  A neighbour asked me to get a couple of batteries for his camcorder - which I only did after making him VERY clear of the risk.  As it turned out, one battery was very weak but the other was pretty good. The overall cost for the two imports was just under the local cost for one, so he was a little better off.

I bought two spare batteries for my camera from a place in Vic. Both seemed to take the appropriate charge (assessed through use, not measurement), so that was good - but there's still a risk.

The other issue, too, is the longevity of a battery.  Not a good buy if it only lasts 3 months in a usage pattern that normally yields 5 years - but you'll only find that out long after the deal is done.  Again, a risk.

As for fiery responses to sellers (or anyone else for that matter), I tend to rant, save it somewhere out of the way and then sit back with a clean page and work out the best way to approach them to get what I want.  Sometimes I'm so 'courteous' I almost gag on what I'm saying - but it's what I believe has the best chance of success.

Poddy

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 04:52:36 PM »
Hawk,

The AA Ni-MH battries seem awful cheap, It would be great if they came up to the capacity stated.

What discharge rate did you test them at?

At high discharge current the capacity will be a lot less than at lower current

Try discharging one at say 100 mA and another at  250 ma and another at 500 mA

If they are a true 2500 mAh battry then

100 mA = 25 hours
250 mA = 10 hours
500 mA = 5 hours

Or somewhere close to that

If the dont preform then put in a not as described claim

I have a bee in my bonnet about all the claims that MOST sellers state for antenna gain,
I too am an amateur radio operator :) and whem I see claims that a 1/4 wave magnetic mount mobile antenna has a gain of 6 db I see red hahahah

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »
The 10-hour rate is the standard for capacity of rechargeables ... and from his stated interests, I'm sure Hawk would be more than aware of this.

A 2500mAH cell should deliver 10 hours of 250mA at a usable voltage.

The other discharge rates aren't really relevant for a capacity assessment.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 05:12:15 PM »
I have a long term interest in electronics and have one memorable experience involving a radio amateur.  Whilst aligning the superhet AM radio module of the Playmaster 132 amplifier I picked up a CQ call crashing through. Incredibly distorted audio - but I could make out the call sign.  Looked it up in the 'book' and found he was less than 100m from me! A couple of months later, he was published in Electronics Australia.  His article: "Tri-band beam antenna".

I think I know which direction his beam was facing that day, just wonder how much power he was pushing through it.

Poddy

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Brumby,

I use those 3 rates in my own testing set-up and and if the claimed capacity is in the ball park if they don't then back they go. Usually I only het 4 at a time until I have assessed the brand.
And as far as getting them locally is concerned that dont work either, in all cases that I know of they are imported in any case.

I have found that some of the well known brands are the worst offenders, I steer clear of those they are way over priced.

Poddy

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 05:20:08 PM »
OMG If it was at lower frequency it could have been 1/2 kilowatt, its a wonder you poor playmaster didn't melt.

I heard of one case where a toaster received a CQ call !!!!! weird huh?

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »
Well, if there was enough AM power and some point of rectification, I could believe it.

Would be weird to see it though.

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »
Yes they were cheap, but I still expect them to be as advertised.

I got caught years ago with a peak detection charger and now use a computerized charger that is programmable.

It measures every thing that occurs during a cycle and that also includes a controlled discharge that records total MA, voltages and time.

Then it goes into a charge cycle again recording all information.

The cheap rubbish haven’t managed to take above 500MA of their rated 2500MA

I have had these ones before and they are still going strong 270412614645 yes just bought them, I hope they are as good as the first set.

As for quality I have had mixed results even with the energiser rechargeable batteries, the polarpower are a good second after Sanyo cells which are the best you can get IMO.

Pody I did my N call and Z call back in the 80s which was then combined to a K call, built a lot of home brew gear back then and worked the world on 11 meter band with nothing more than a modified CB rig. Oh those were the days

Have a good night

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »
"10-4, all toasters in the area, do you receive me?"

"Look, mister, it's one thing when you start calling me up on the toaster. But it's completely unacceptable when I find my electric toothbrush is talking to me!"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 05:40:59 PM »
As for locally sourced batteries, I have had a better track record.  I think because sellers in Australia are more likely (no guarantee) to have higher standards - or, if there is a faulty one, are more likely to look after you.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 05:41:58 PM »
If you can find me a toaster that'll transmit as well as receive - let me know!!

Poddy

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 05:42:08 PM »
I guess the tuned circuit would have been the coils of the heating element and the rectifier could have been a bad joint between dissimilar metals of the coil and the power connector, the arial may have been the power lead and the speaker the mica the coils were wound on.

I actually heard a recording of it, it was recorded by the owner of the toaster.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
You should design the kit - and sell it to DSE and Jaycar!

Poddy

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 05:49:09 PM »
Hmmmmm................

Now there is a challenge, a toaster that will transmit an intelligent signal, i have a feeling that Kryton met one of those :)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 05:51:59 PM »
... and make a nice piece of toast!

Poddy

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 05:54:27 PM »
Hmmmm................. a multi tasking toaster huh ?

Poddy

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »
Hawk, i would be interested to know about that battry charger/tester it would simplify my manual method a great deal

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 06:05:26 PM »
Poddy - a toaster should never forget it's core business - the expertise and facilities that made it what it is.

If it forgets that, it's toast.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 06:07:09 PM »
(Hmmm - that works in the spheres of both poetry and parable.)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 06:13:27 PM »
I can't resist. Herewith is an extended scene from one of the Red Dwarf episodes, starring Talkie Toaster.

It begins with a screen filled with white nose... It clears to a computer display with the following:

BOOT UP SEQUENCE INITIATED

VISUAL SYSTEM CCD 517.3
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE SYSTEM K177
MACHINE IDENT: TALKIE TOASTER
MANUFACTURER: TAIWAN © CRAPOLA INC.
RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICE: $19.99 PLUS TAX

And finally it clears to this...

AURAL SYSTEM: ON-LINE

This vanishes, to be replaced with a view of KRYTEN (the android).

KRYTEN: Hello? Can you hear me? Oh, no, of course not: I haven't engaged your verbal systems.

He presses some buttons on an off-screen keyboard.

LISTER (the last human alive - with Liverpudlian accent): (From offscreen): Kryten.

LISTER approaches.

LISTER: Kryten, what you doing, man?

KRYTEN: I've just repaired the toaster, sir. Well, I've nearly repaired the toaster.

LISTER: Oh NO, man! Dismantle him! You don't know what the little bleeder's like!

KRYTEN: Well, I've read all the documentation, sir. He's simply a talking alarm clock who provides his owner with early morning toast and light conversation.

LISTER: Not this one. This one's mental.

KRYTEN: Sir?

LISTER: He's defective. He wants everyone to eat toast ALL OF THE TIME. He's obsessed with it. And if you don't want to eat, like, four hundred rounds of toast EVERY HOUR, he throws a major wobbly. That's what caused the accident in the first place.

KRYTEN: What accident?

LISTER: The accident involving me, the toaster, the waste disposal and the fourteen pound lump-hammer.

KRYTEN: That explains why he was down in the garbage hold in three thousand separate pieces.

LISTER: Another thing. He always says "Howdy doodly do". Drives you spare. I mean, what the smeg does "Howdy doodly do" mean?

KRYTEN: Well, just trust me, sir. My motives will become clear.

He presses some more buttons on the keyboard. The TOASTER lights up and speaks in an impossibly cheerful tone.

TOASTER: Howdy doodly do! How's it going? I'm Talkie - Talkie Toaster, your chirpy breakfast companion. Talkie's the name, toasting's the game. Anyone like any toast?

LISTER: Look, I don't want any toast, and he (indicating KRYTEN) doesn't want any toast. In fact, no one around here wants any toast. Not now, not ever. NO TOAST.

TOASTER: How 'bout a muffin?

LISTER: OR muffins! OR muffins! We don't LIKE muffins ‘round here! We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or bagels, no croissants, no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns! And DEFINITELY - NO - SMEGGING - FLAPJACKS!

TOASTER: Aah, so you're a waffle man!

LISTER: (to KRYTEN) See? You see what he's like? He winds me up, man. There's no reasoning with him.

KRYTEN: If you'll allow me, sir, as one mechanical to another. He'll understand me. (Addressing the TOASTER as one would address an errant child) Now. Now, you listen here. You will not offer ANY grilled bread products to ANY member of the crew. If you do, you will be on the receiving end of a very large polo mallet.

TOASTER: Can I ask just one question?

KRYTEN: Of course.

TOASTER: Would anyone like any toast?

KRYTEN: Didn't you HEAR what I just said?

TOASTER: Yes, but I thought you might have changed your mind in the meantime.

LISTER: You see? You see what he's like?

KRYTEN: (Exasperated) We haven't changed our mind!

LISTER: NO TOAST!

TOASTER: But I am a toaster. It is my raison d'être. I toast, therefore I am. If you don't want any toast, why did you repair me?

LISTER: Yeah, why did you repair him?

KRYTEN: He's a guinea pig for a technique called "Intelligence Compression". His AI chips were very badly damaged in the accident.

TOASTER: But that was no accident! That was first-degree toastercide!

LISTER: Just shut your grill!

Poddy

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
I remember it well :)

I hear they are designibg a talking companion for cars, so far they havent been able to get past the 'when are we gonna get there' and the 'ain't there yet' stage.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 06:27:03 PM »
Sorry Hawk ... Hope you don't mind your thread getting burned, but that's what can happen with errant toasters!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 06:54:30 PM »
all this talk about toasters brings back memories of a funny but potentially dangerous situation I once found myself in so please dont mention Breville snack and sandwich toasters ok

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 07:20:45 PM »
Hawky...I just had a thought! :evil:

Check this link...

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD:909759736:pc=PC_90375

Some batteries are considered Dangerous Goods...check out if the actual batteries you bought are safe for transport.

It may save you the trouble of at least returning the goods if it's illegal to transport them....and in MY opinion...the Seller knew exactly what they were selling and was taking the chance that you were a numpty and wouldn't complain because of the low sale price.

If they were just an innocent little seller that just made a mistake...then I would most likely let them know how they went wrong...but if it's one of those Asian sellers that take advantage of the fact that most buyers just can't be bothered to complain or take it further because of the price they paid....then feedback can be lethal when mixed with a touch of a well worded Paypal dispute... ;)

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 07:55:55 PM »
Another site with some good info..
http://www.globalps.com.au/dangerousgoods.php

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »
OK...... I know nix-nada-diddly squat - about batterys... well, I know they have a + and a - end, and they make things go.

I have almost learnt something here!  :huh: :pmsl:

:wcat:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 11:46:04 PM »

A battery for Bell ;D
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 11:46:55 PM »
Ah Centuries, I love the new look!  ;D

llama

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2009, 02:19:12 AM »
{geek}
I am having a bad run with Energizer AA 2500mAH Made in Japan. Charger is a good Jaycar (computerised 10 x single channel Delta whatever-it-is) one... the Energizers simply don't charge after a fairly short period of use.

I've tried plenty of brands over the years - the best run I've had from cheapies is the Varta Power Accu 2100mAH. From Bunnings they are only $2.50 or $3.00

The best thing is that don't seem to self-discharge so badly... I have a pair in my son's digital camera that have probably been in there 3 months, and the camera still boots up just fine.

{/g33k}

Poddy

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2009, 02:37:59 AM »
Llama, Ni-MH battries should have a lifespan of about 800-1000n charges.

i use the ones from Jaycar the ppowertech ones with the purple ends, they are as good as any I have found i had some from Energiser and thet deteriorated in less than 25 charges, i wont get those again.

i have had Varta in the past and they were excellent The Ni-cads lasted about 10 years and more than 1000 charges.

rechargeable Lithum Ion or Lithum Polymer are good for weight to capacity ratio but their life span is 2 years tops, wether you use them hard or not at all.

around 2 years from the date of manufacture is their lifespan :( they are expensive as well, mauinly used in laptops. 2 years and you are up for another battry and you have to check the date of manufacture.

even most suppliers dont know that and will sel you stock they have had for a yera or longer.

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2009, 10:02:37 AM »
To get back to the original topic... And not being blunt.

Nuke 'em

:wine:
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2009, 10:19:41 AM »
Hawk, i would be interested to know about that battry charger/tester it would simplify my manual method a great deal

Hi Poddy what I have is the propo supernover 520s plus a supernover 3000 I got the 3000 to do Lipoly.

They dont seem to make either new but a few are on ebay and Oz, lots of discusion on the hobby forums.

I am having a bad run with Energizer AA 2500mAH Made in Japan. Charger is a good Jaycar (computerised 10 x single channel Delta whatever-it-is) one... the Energizers simply don't charge after a fairly short period of use.

Llamha I have the same issue with the energiser rechargableles, they went off very quickly, they dischage during the month, they wont take a charge without being cycled 3 or 4 times straight and that will then bring up their capacity until next time.

I wound put them in the junk class and could never recomend them.

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2009, 10:26:37 AM »
Hi Barny I dont have a problem with people having some fun.

I never really expected a real solution as its just one of those things when dealing with Asian sellers and I had to get caught one day.

I will open an item not as described dispute, I don’t think it will be worth spending the money to send back registered so I will loose in the end.

But it will be a black mark against his account and FB will certainly reflect my negative experience.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »
Hawky, I concur with Mr Brick.

Nuke him.  Your seller is a naughty boy and his items should be as described and you should get what you pay for.   He obviously knows that it is too costly and too much trouble for you to return the goods to him and no doubt operates this way every day.

Best comeback?  A neg and a dispute.  Can we say who are the naughty sellers here so others can be warned?  Or is that a breach of some kind?  If not, that is even better than a neg.

On another note, I have loved reading this thread and am amused by the blokey interaction between all you guys about -- I think radios and electronics.  It was hard to tell because most of it was in another language, but it was fun to read!!!
:duckling:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2009, 01:34:31 PM »
Charge your seller with assault and battery, Hawk... If he won't reimburse you or fix up the situation, he certainly doesn't deserve a positive.

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »
assault and b.....

LOLOLOLOLOL

:roflmao: :rofl: :roflmao: :rofl: :roflmao: :rofl: :roflmao: :rofl: :roflmao:

:wcat: