Author Topic: Tax on Internet Purchases >$1000  (Read 7822 times)

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Tax on Internet Purchases >$1000
« on: December 10, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
This matter again came to light on the evening news last night. It appears that many retailers are dead set scared of the impact on their businesses, from people who can locate a better price offshore. So - is it about retail protection - or just another method of filling government coffers at the expense of the public? Many recent articles state that collecting this tax is more expensive that leaving it be. The WONKS running this place could easily fix that - make it 20% across the board! But - given the savings that can be made offshore - even a 20% tax wouldn't match the local retailer. So, perhaps - it doesn't offer any level of protection to retail sellers - although it may just boost government revenue.

Simple question - If our government is soooo concerned about protecting our retailers - then what of our producers and manufactures? Where is their protection?

It's enough to drive one to shart!

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/national/national/general/new-push-for-online-gst/2387794.aspx

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-09/commission-want-change-to-retail-workplace-laws/3722498

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/put-shoppers-first-retailers-told/story-fn6bfkm6-1226218671986

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Tax on Internet Purchases >$1000
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
Gillard

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 02:36:29 PM »
Sorry I meant snipe

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 05:02:07 PM »
r3830, I thoroughly agree. Local producers and local manufacturers have been dead in the water for a long time, due to appalling government decisions that don't seem to have foreseen the rise of easy access to internationally produced goods by the common or garden internet user.

Now that it HAS happened, and that online buying is a real and current issue (and is already destroying many local businesses), something needs to be done. But I'm not sure that a tax on online goods under $1000 is the answer. I do think that somehow locally manufactured goods have got to come into the picture. And I am at a loss to work out how this can be accomplished.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

chookcity

• Knight of the RT
  • "The proof is out there"
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:05:35 PM »
Unfortunately the problem is either we increase the living standards of the third world and thus their wages rise and their goods are no longer cheap as shitee.

Or we lower our living standards, wages and conditions to compete on a level playing field.

The third option favored by the rednecks is barbwire on the beaches, close the airports and only buy and sell off each other. (A form of financial inbreeding).

Where do you stand?????
Tempus Fugit when you're having fun.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
Chook - you forgot the old fashioned method of tariff protection.  Just bury overseas purchases under onerous import duties.

- but that kinda puts us at odds with Free Trade Agreements......

chookcity

• Knight of the RT
  • "The proof is out there"
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:18:21 PM »
Chook - you forgot the old fashioned method of tariff protection.  Just bury overseas purchases under onerous import duties.

- but that kinda puts us at odds with Free Trade Agreements......

Too true - Then the rest of the world return the favor and we don't the barbwire.  ;)
Tempus Fugit when you're having fun.