Author Topic: Another email scam doing the rounds  (Read 12579 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Another email scam doing the rounds
« on: June 21, 2009, 12:50:06 PM »
ATO warns of phony email scam

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/21/2603912.htm

The Australian Tax Office (ATO) is warning people of a fraudulent email and phoney tax website that aims to obtain their personal details.

The email and associated links claim to be from the ATO and incorporates its official logo.

The ATO warns the public to be aware that they never send emails asking people to provide personal information or tax file numbers.

If people have followed the link from such an email and entered their personal details or information to the website, they are advised to contact the tax office.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Another email scam doing the rounds
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 12:51:20 PM »
Thousands visit ATO phishing site

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25774/1231/

Thousands of Australians have visited just one of the phishing sites currently trying to collect people's banking and other personal details on the false promise of a tax refund.

iTWire recently reported on an ATO phishing scam doing the rounds that tries to trick people into disclosing their banking or credit card information in enough detail to allow fraudulent transactions.

It turns out that nearly 8000 people visited the web site associated with just one variant of this scam.

the guv

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:41:09 PM »
Another nasty - it is set out like a normal eBay communication - but has 4 different triggers - including item number .

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2009 9:29 PM
Subject: eBay Bid Change Notice - Item

eBay Bid Change Notice - Item 

Dear eBay Community Member,
A previously entered bid on the item (190313215613) has been retracted or cancelled. You can view the retraction/cancellation and the reason provided by selecting the (bid history) link from the individual item page. As a result of this retraction/cancellation, there is a possibility that the high bid amount and the current high bidder have changed. You can always view the current status of any item by going to the individual item page. (Be sure to refresh or reload the page to view the most up-to-date information.)

Regards,
eBay

This eBay notice was sent to your email based on your eBay account preferences. To unsubscribe from this eBay notice, click here. If you would like to receive this email in text only, click here.

As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright © 2009 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 02:01:53 PM »
Guv, it looks very legit except for the 'Dear eBay Community Member', I wonder how many people get caught out.

I would like to see eBay post alerts at the top of the screen like the bank sites do to show you the latest warnings. eBay put alerts up about messages and discounts so they should be able to do it easily enough.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »
Rules for Online Functioning:

1. Never click on an email link. Never. Not ever. Never. If you have it set in concrete that you should NEVER NEVER NEVER click onto an email link, even if the email looks legitimate, you'll have learned a very important method of protecting yourself.

2. Always open a new browser window and type in the exact URL of the site of your online banking or ATO's site or whatever it is. Always. Always Always Always. Check the phone directly for the URL if you don't know it. Don't fall for the trick of typing in an address that looks legitimate but is not. Go to the source, not an email.

3. Don't ever act quickly when you're being promised something by a bank or the government, etc. Don't. If you're being hurried into a decision, you need to be aware that this is a classic scammer tactic designed to make you react without thinking. Do not feel hassled into a quick decision. You can phone the government department or bank directly during working hours for confirmation of any offer, and if you're being offered something that requires your decision outside of working hours, think of it as a red alert button going off in your mind. It may very well signal a fraud in progress. And when it comes to such offers, you should really...

4. ... see your legal or financial adviser before making a commitment, entering your details, signalling any interest, etc. Print out the email or website information, write down the exact URL and email addresses in the email (hover over the link with your mouse, but DON'T CLICK - this will show the URL or link information in the bottom left of your screen), and take all the information with you.

5. Assume that every email is a scam or spam, so that the email has to prove itself to you in terms of being legitimate.

Write down all the points which the email has to pass, and tick each point as the email passes the test. Then STILL don't click onto any links in the email, because even if the email is legitimate, many emails LOOK legitimate but aren't, and rule one is "Never click on an email link. Never. Not ever. Never."

And by that, I mean NEVER.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »
As for email scams from banks and ATO how would they even have your email address to contact you with.

I have certanly never provided an email address to any of my banks or the ATO.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 07:54:47 PM »
Hawk, the ATO has my email addresses - I submit my tax return online and I also get tax ruling updates by email. Judging by the number of people who have followed the links in the ATO email there are a lot of people who open scam emails and click through to links without thinking!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 05:39:41 PM »
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 11:41:42 PM »
The "not thinking" process is something I would love to eradicate.

How many times do we do something before we can stop ourselves? And usually it's something stupid.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 10:36:46 AM »
Good morning all, it looks like it's started again.
I received this message this morning,

"Dear PayPal user,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.

We requested information from you for the following reason:

We recently received a report of unauthorized credit card use associated with this account. As a precaution, we have limited access to your PayPal account in order to protect against future unauthorized transactions.

Case ID Number: PP-503-472-569

This is a reminder to restore your account as soon as possible.

Please download the form attached to this email and open it in a web browser. Once opened, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to restore your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this. We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department

PayPal Email ID PP6728"

*cupie*

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 10:48:32 AM »
Hi Ubb...I've received hundreds of these fake Paypal emails over the years....bearing in mind I DON'T have a paypal account, it leads me to believe that they just use the Ebay member details somehow....who knows, but Paypal is one of the biggest targets for these types of fraud emails, and yet their security by comparison to banks would pale into insignificance.  No problem though, their UA waives any responsibility from their end. Convenient yeah?  

I worry for those who fall for this without knowing better....You notice that when dodgy emails are doing the rounds with major banks, or even the ATO we all hear about it on the news....with Paypal phishing emails, we don't hear a thing.....Ebay don't seem to think they have a duty of care to warn consumers even on their own website?  Mind you I haven't checked...is there anywhere on EBay or Paypal where they announce phishing email risks so members are forewarned?

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 10:52:54 AM »
G'day Cupie.
"is there anywhere on EBay or Paypal where they announce phishing email risks so members are forewarned?"

Not that I'm aware of.

llama

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 04:21:32 PM »
All those emails usually come to my Optusnet addresses, which are NOT the ones registered with Ebay and Paypal...

It seems that somewhere along the line, Optus have sold my email addresses to outside parties, who have then sold to spammers, who have sold to spammers of spammers, who have sold to...

Once you are on one spam list, that email address is a lost cause. The spammers simply purchase the address lists, and set up relays of computers to email the stuff out. Those computers are generally the result of trojans and other exploits that compromise the security and allow the spammers to use that remote machine (rather than their own) to do the dirty work.

Compared to that extremely common occurance, the possibility of Paypal or Ebay disclosing your email address to scammers is unbelievable low.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 06:07:12 PM »
The latest version:

Warning over 'AFP' email scam

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/02/2615136.htm

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) says a scam email is circulating which falsely claims to have been sent out by the police.

The AFP is warning anyone who receives the email that asks for personal or financial information to delete it immediately.

It says the fake email tells recipients that their credit card has been detected being used in transactions linked to criminal organisations.

The email instructs the receiver not to contact either their bank or the local authorities under threat of legal action.

It says the email attempts to lure customers into divulging personal information or downloading malicious software, which can record and transmit the customer's key strokes.

The AFP warns anyone receiving this email, or one like it, not to respond and to delete it immediately.

And the related story ..

Fake plastic scam foiled, 23 arrests

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/02/2614454.htm

Twenty-three people have been arrested in Melbourne, Sydney and Spain over a huge credit card scam that police say has cost the Australian economy close to $5 million.

The Federal Police say the group was run out of Sydney and spent about $6 million on 1,200 fake credit cards since March.