Author Topic: Latest emails upon winning an item on eBay - how do they strike you?  (Read 14346 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Now, I don't know how you feel about this, but there's something rather off-putting (in my opinion) about receiving an email after I've already paid for something (which I always do), telling me NOT TO WAIT, and to PAY NOW.

Here's the text of the latest eBay emails upon winning an item:

It's all yours, now you just need to pay.

Hi [name],
We hope you enjoy your latest purchase. The next step is pay the seller. Don't wait. Pay now to get your item as soon as possible.

Pay with PayPal, the safe and easy way to pay for your eBay purchases.

It doesn't strike me as a particularly well-worded email...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: Latest emails upon winning an item on eBay - how do they strike you?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:52:45 PM »
Hey, I'm glad to see this topic arise.

My last 5 purchases have NOT been followed up with a "You Won" email.

It seems ebay disabled that function & I can no longer collect them anymore.

LameBay!
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 12:39:51 AM »
I had the Your bid has been confirmed type of emails after the You have won emails and they all came in some time after all the auctions were over.

Most impressive. :rolleyes: :applause:
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 12:45:15 AM »
Oh yeah...THAT!
Isn't technology wonderful?

I can say this: the PayPal reciepts are fast.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »
I can understand there being a delay in emails received... (Of course that should be worked on. Customers should not be receiving "Pay now" emails well after the actual payment.)

But the wording... it seems offensive. "It's all yours, now you just need to pay". Wrong, wrong, wrong. Perhaps Americans don't realise that "It's all yours" is also used in a dismissive & offended way in Australia, as the following example illustrates:

Ferdinand: "Look, will you just get out of my way while I finish working on this cupboard?"
Barbarella: (offended, throwing down her powertool with manicured hands and emitting a carefully coiffed sniff) "Oh. Of course. It's all yours. You can do the lot."

People say "It's all yours" in a variety of circumstances. It can be said when giving a gift to someone, or when selling something to someone, but the "all" is actually not standard in Australian speech. We might say, "It's yours"... but people say "It's all yours" to imply they are backing out of a field or situation in which their expertise or help is not valued.

To follow that up with "Now you just need to pay" compounds the feeling of wrongness. It seems to be trying to be jocular and "matey", but it is very far off the mark!

The following might be better:

It's yours - your eBay bid/purchase was successful.

Hi [name],
We hope you enjoy your latest purchase. Please arrange payment now, and your item can be sent once payment is complete.

(If you've already made your payment, please disregard this email.)

You can pay using the following methods: PayPal, bank deposit, cash upon pickup.
This would of course be different for each seller, depending upon the payment methods accepted.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 10:18:19 AM »
Yeah Countess. Some of the word usage & sentence construction leaves a lot to be desired. A retarded ape has a better grip on the pen than some of the Ebay authors.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 11:23:19 AM »
 ;D

The boffins at eBay don't seem to realise that Communication is one of the key points to both sellers and buyers being happy about a transaction. With limits imposed on contact via personal email, unending problems with the ebay message system, impersonal notifications from ebay and cut and paste bot responses from livehelp, eBay scores a minus 1 DSR star and a negative from me for Communication.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 05:59:28 PM »

This is the wording on my ebay "You Have Won" notifications

Congratulations, the item is yours!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi **********
Congratulations on winning this item! The next step is to pay the seller.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 06:22:49 PM »
I've got it - I've got it - a new email design. eBay, are you reading this? THIS is how it should be done:

Okay, mate, you got yaself a bonza item there, no two ways about it. But don't get all airy-fairy now - ya gotta hand over the moolah (and don't take yonks to do it, either) or ya eBay account will be cactus. (Just joshin', mate. She'll be right.)

So if the seller doesn't see ya brass any tick of the clock, that's gonna be one cheesed-off seller and he might just chuck a spaz, send a bunyip after ya AND dob ya in to eBay who won't give a toss.

So carn, don't be a drongo. If ya bid and wag, you're a b... b... yeah, bloomin' idiot.

cueperkins

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 06:28:51 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What a bonza sheila eh?  you beaut !!   :t2: :t2: :t2:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »
How do you talk like that & yer face doesn't hurt?

It's killing me!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »
What makes you think my face DOESN'T hurt...? *wicked grin*

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 06:47:57 PM »
I've got it - I've got it - a new email design. eBay, are you reading this? THIS is how it should be done:

Okay, mate, you got yaself a bonza item there, no two ways about it. But don't get all airy-fairy now - ya gotta hand over the moolah (and don't take yonks to do it, either) or ya eBay account will be cactus. (Just joshin', mate. She'll be right.)

So if the seller doesn't see ya brass any tick of the clock, that's gonna be one cheesed-off seller and he might just chuck a spaz, send a bunyip after ya AND dob ya in to eBay who won't give a toss.

So carn, don't be a drongo. If ya bid and wag, you're a b... b... yeah, bloomin' idiot.

You forgot the P.S. countess which would read something like ..............

and dont go hunting for the bank details so ya can pay by direct deposit

its not gonna happen weve hidden them to stop knob jockeys like you from helping sellers avoid paypal fees, but go ahead look for 'em you wont find find 'em , youll get peed off and pay by paypal in the end so you might as well just do it now ... the sooner the better coz then we get the money to invest whilst we make it difficult for the poor sod of a seller to withdraw his funds ........
We hope your eBay experience has been a prosperous one  

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 07:12:09 PM »
And if ya doan pay real quick we will set our attack wombats on ya...so dunt be a bl**dy bludger! Get ya finger out!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »
Yes - *adds those additions*.

eBay executives, watch and learn from our tactful colloquialisms...

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 03:05:08 PM »
G'day
Can you slip a "dont come the raw prawn mate" in there somewhere? Strewth always warms me heart to see Strayan used proper.

As for those non paying Drongos that dont give us a cooeee, doncha get tired of wondering where the bloody hell are ya.

Good on ya Shiela.
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 09:50:25 PM »
I would not be surprised to be greeted with "G'day mate, you have won" on an after auction message. I  wish I could send a message to eBay announcing I am not their "mate". Strewth!!!  ;D