Author Topic: Contradictory Paypal echeque Clearance time  (Read 19432 times)

col52

Contradictory Paypal echeque Clearance time
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »
Just got another one of those echeques, read this (all from the same transaction page) and tell me who is confused!

eCheque estimated completion: 02/06/2009-04/06/2009.
We recommend that you don't send items until you receive payment.

Uncleared  (Expected Clearing Date: 28 May 2009)
Note: eCheques are not instant payments. This eCheque will remain un-cleared until the buyer's bank clears it. This can take up to five working days. Please do not send any items until the payment appears in your account.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Contradictory Paypal echeque Clearance time
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »
Col...using paypal is like using a condom purchased at a $2 shop....take your chances...

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:52:34 PM »
Yeah Col. Never take a roll of cotton to a keelhauling.

RiffRaff

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 04:56:44 PM »
Col. The notification messages for eCheques need to be standardised. The clearance times they give are supposed to vary depending on PayPals experience with the buyers bank but they trip over themselves constantly.

Here is the notification email I get for eCheques sent through my website. If I took it literally, well..............

Dear XXXXXXXX XXXXXX,

JXXXX LXXXXXX (xxxxxxxxxxxxx1@gmail.com) has sent you an eCheque payment of $51.75 AUD. This is not an instant payment
You should receive the money in about 5-7 working days (estimated:15/05/2009-19/05/2009), depending on your bank. We recommend that you wait until the money is deposited into your bank account before posting items. We’ll email you when this eCheque payment has been deposited into your account.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »
I use PayPal for most of my purchases but never knew about the delays in processing eCheque payments until I read sellers complaints about it. Do PayPal let buyers know that there may be a delay in the seller dispatching items?

RiffRaff

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 05:07:08 PM »
Wheels I'm not sure what notification the buyer gets but the email I get comes from the buyers email address. I just reply to that email address with a thankyou note and a (see below). Never had a complaint about clearance time.

col52

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 05:43:33 PM »
Col...using paypal is like using a condom purchased at a $2 shop....take your chances...

Yeah Col. Never take a roll of cotton to a keelhauling.

:o

Illegitimate little Papalites abound!!!

col52

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 05:47:27 PM »
Col. The notification messages for eCheques need to be standardised. The clearance times they give are supposed to vary depending on PayPals experience with the buyers bank but they trip over themselves constantly.

Here is the notification email I get for eCheques sent through my website. If I took it literally, well..............

Dear XXXXXXXX XXXXXX,

JXXXX LXXXXXX (xxxxxxxxxxxxx1@gmail.com) has sent you an eCheque payment of $51.75 AUD. This is not an instant payment
You should receive the money in about 5-7 working days (estimated:15/05/2009-19/05/2009), depending on your bank. We recommend that you wait until the money is deposited into your bank account before posting items. We’ll email you when this eCheque payment has been deposited into your account.

Hello Riff, they need to do something! As you say, and what it says in my OP, they trip over themselves constantly.
Considering ebay/Paypal is such a big "concern" (in more ways than one), you would think they could get their act together....................OOOPS, not possible..............if it was....................companies like Amazon would have something to worry about, LOL

col52

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 05:51:41 PM »
I use PayPal for most of my purchases but never knew about the delays in processing eCheque payments until I read sellers complaints about it. Do PayPal let buyers know that there may be a delay in the seller dispatching items?

Paypal only recently started advising buyers about delays using echeques, they only did so after getting so many complaints from sellers - as it was the sellers "getting it in the neck" from buyers about delays. I'm not sure exactly what is in the e-mails but several of my buyers responded to my e-mails advising of the delay, telling me they already knew about it via the Paypal notification. I still "double up" on advising e-mails though.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 06:46:32 PM »
Doubling up and clarifying certainly wouldn't hurt. I hear from a few friends who are buyers about e-cheques - mostly not having been aware they'd even PAID by e-cheque, and under the impression their payment had been instant.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

col52

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 06:47:34 PM »
Doubling up and clarifying certainly wouldn't hurt. I hear from a few friends who are buyers about e-cheques - mostly not having been aware they'd even PAID by e-cheque, and under the impression their payment had been instant.

That is how Paypal misleads!

tokyotoyman

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 06:07:19 AM »
YES ...it would be amazing if they could get it right on clearance times...

I have one pending at the moment, it says clearance on the 24th it is now the 26th and the customer is still waiting..
the item purchased is needed for a birthday present this weekend..!
I have contacted the customer daily to let him know and he has asked me WHY so long ..?? 3 times in two days
he has asked why the hold up??
a new customer who obviously only trusts Paypal..
if he had paid via bank deposit on Sunday it would have cleared tuesday morning and he would have his item today..I feel it is also ebays placement of paypal in the invoice , ebays fault for pushing it so far up everyones butt, they insinuate all sellers are not to be trusted..
now the parcel is ready to go and i will send it out today regardless of what paypal do- clear it today or not, my customer will get his parcel ready for the weekend, lucky it is only going 200kms within same state....!!!

tokyotoyman

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 06:10:03 AM »
sorry for error make that todays date being the 27th of May...!! clearance time stated would clear by the 25th..
sorry my calender is dodgy ...!!! it has been misprinted, I really should throw the darn thing out..!!

llama

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 08:37:58 AM »
The clearance time quoted by Paypal is just a "guess"... it's up to the buyer's bank to clear the payment - Paypal has no control over that.

The buyer IS aware that they have paid by eCheque, as they are told on a few of the payment screens. They used to be sent an email notification but I think that has stopped again (not sure, I haven't paid by eCheque for a while now).

Forwarding the "payment rec'd" email from Paypal to teh buyer with a short explanation is usually enough to satisfy them about the delay. I have a standard email template that I use for this, so it takes no time or effort.

col52

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 10:55:40 PM »
 :welcomedesk: tokyo

Llama is right, banks can hold up the process but Paypal do not help the situation.
I have a comment from a buyer today which is sure proof that Paypal do not make the echeque process clear to buyers:

Hi-i have paid for my bead via Paypal but as this is my first ever transaction i'm unsure what payment details you would like to speed up the process-please let me know and i'll be happy to oblige. Thanks

Internet bank deposits are far superior to echeque when it comes to speed.