Author Topic: Slapped by Shane.....The big man himself  (Read 28268 times)

Tigerlilypussy

Slapped by Shane.....The big man himself
« on: May 25, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »

Slapped by Shane for having the temerity to straight talk him.

That's twice now, I'm feeling punchy. Fair dinkum, you can't say anything on the forums now.

(Shane) As we have a clearer idea of how things will look moving forward,
we'll share that information.

My reply to his lame post

So you don't know anything either??
As these boards are practically automated & threads locked at 20 &
trolls reporting people your job is practiclally redundant.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Slapped by Shane.....The big man himself
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 11:22:37 PM »
 :rofl: Tigerlilycat, It doesn't pay to be honest on the boards!

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:31:42 PM »
Have some of this  :fridge: :chocdip: :coffeecup:

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Poddy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 11:39:41 PM »
You poor puddy tat.

Shame on Shane

Tiger dont worry every Tiger has their day.
Shane has been invited to come here as a member hehehehe.

Do you think he will come??

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 11:48:07 PM »
Tigerlilycat, as you probably know, a lot of people felt that the thread-locking at 20 posts and the extremely malicious reporting had the possibility of turning the eBay AU forums into a totalitarian and lifeless wasteland.

Is that what it has become?

(But to be fair, Shane mightn't have a great deal of information to share. I somehow doubt he's in the flow of decision-making. I may be wrong, but at least here we can  :coffeecup: :party: :wine: :serenade: :choc: :chickennuggetbox: to our hearts' content.)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

qualitycateringco

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »
Well said, Tigerlily. Shane is one of the most incompetent, autocratic moderators I've experienced.  I had a few posts removed for criticising him. This one, funnily enough, still remains
http://forums.ebay.com.au/topic/Recent-Ebay-News/The-Boards-Have/600116536&#msg503725995

Hi Countessa,  :) 

I noticed a few of Shane's posts contained the inference that he was part of the decision-making process. I asked a question of him on the old RT as to why he'd announced one week that Chin Wag was to go, then reversed that to boot out RT.   He replied that "we decided" it was in the best interests....blah blah.

Il Uomo e mobile indeed. Qual piuma al vento.

cueperkins

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 07:52:23 AM »
Nevertheless countess, his moderation style is completely inconsistent.......I've had numerous debates with him and Ebay au mgt over their punitive sanctioning of consumers without redress in that joke of a forum.  Meanwhile, they invest no such scrutiny or heavy handedness to sanction dodgy sellers who defraud and deceive consumers.... ...typical......Try reporting someone who's ripped you off or deceived you...they do nothing....say something like bloody hell, on the forum though, and you're issued with a threat against your account ?  Where's their priorities?

A while back, I posted a comment and within that post I said something like.... Ebay have Raped consumer rights, meaning plundered, removed, robbed.  It got reported for profanity???. huh?  Since when has the word rape been considered profanity, particularly used in the context it was used? 

So, I emailed his majesty, advising that the word rape has four different applications only one of which related to an aggressive and criminal act, but if the shoe fits....Anyway, Shane comes back having to concur that the term itself, used in the context it was written, did not constitute profanity.....BUT......Then he emails back saying it was nonetheless hostile?  Hostile?  So, in short, Ebay moderation is subjective at best.   If it doesn't fit one category, they'll make it fit another, with absolutely no right of formal appeal?  Even crims have right of appeal, but not ebay consumers?

Bearing in mind these punitive slaps accumulate over time, and each slap threatens consumer access.  That's the threat they hold over consumers....obey or get narp'd or naru'd.   No appeals process in place even now, but they continue to put off consumers just for voicing an opinion?  Just imagine how much better Ebay would be if they bothered to issue similar punitive warnings on sellers who act unconscionably rather than ignoring it altogether...clearly policing and dominating consumer opinion is far more important than the security of those same consumers.

I, and others, campaigned for an appeals process during Shane's laughable RT improvement threads, and of course Shane told members he would be looking into an appeals process with mgt...he acknowledged that punitive sanctions against consumers was somewhat anti-productive, particularly if Liveworld don't bother to actually read the post before issuing a threatening email.   But as you can see, that was a big mod furfy, and instead, they made the forums even more consumer unfriendly.....what do they think they're running a Gulag?

imperfect

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 08:21:58 AM »
Awwww, come on guys,

Shane's a lovely bloke, easy going, friendly, joins in with cheerful chat, is fair, understanding and worldly.

Then I woke up!!! 

Tigerlilypussy

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:18:59 AM »
Tigerlilycat, as you probably know, a lot of people felt that the thread-locking at 20 posts and the extremely malicious reporting had the possibility of turning the eBay AU forums into a totalitarian and lifeless wasteland.

Is that what it has become?

(But to be fair, Shane mightn't have a great deal of information to share. I somehow doubt he's in the flow of decision-making. I may be wrong, but at least here we can  :coffeecup: :party: :wine: :serenade: :choc: :chickennuggetbox: to our hearts' content.)

He's a bully & thin skinned - A WOFTAM in my opinion.
The ebay forum is a wastland, a post I did ages ago is still in the top 4 posts so that goes to show you just what has happened over there.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:32:30 AM »
I didn't and still don't like the idea of splitting up the forums that used once to be in one central location. It makes things like a blind man doing a jigsaw puzzle in a dark room, with bandaged hands.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 10:37:57 AM »
The ebay forum is a wastland, a post I did ages ago is still in the top 4 posts so that goes to show you just what has happened over there.

Its so quiet now  I got a slap today from weeks ago.

Thats how desperate the trolls are getting to find something to report :filenails:

loosers, they got the forums they pushed for and now have full control of a waste land,

I just dont know why they are not happy with it and stay away from CS.

Surely as top power sellers they are flat out looking after customers and helping members these days and shouldnt have time to go stiring up problems on boards they were never interested in before.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »
As far as any moderator from EBay joining this site I wouldn't hold my breath!
As part of the employee agreement prior to starting with EBay you must have your spine and all normal reasoning removed! {Painful!}
If a moderator did join this site they would be on a level playing field, something that mystifies them...
Thanks to eBay management they lack the intellectual power for normal reasoning!

The benefit of this forum is WE can say what we like {how it is} and not stress about childish slaps...

We all know the reason why the boards were deleted and changed, to suppress any organised uprisings...
{As in the great battle of 2008}{Thousands if not millions of casualties}
At the end of the day it’s all about the "money"... In EBay’s eyes nothing else matters, not people, not friendship, not common sense, not community spirit, not a dam thing but the "money"...

I tell it how it is Bro....

chrisntan72

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
I don't think Shane is just one person.  That would explain alot.  And yes I agree that the RT was removed to prevent any gathering of minds, especially when it came to organising anything against eBay.  Would Shane or whom ever they may be ever post here?  Don't think so.  Did eBay expect this new incarnation of the RT to appear?  I bet they did. 

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 01:38:53 PM »
You have to laugh at the 'Thank You eBay for Improving the boards' posts from the usual suspects. Especially the posters who go on about how the RT was disbanded because of negative comment about eBay. The US and UK boards are littered with negative posts and personal comments but they are not deleted. I agree, I think AU is seen as a small market and a discussion forum could become a rallying point for protest about Policy such as compulsory PayPal. It is interesting that the off eBay Powerseller forums continue to grow - seems there are also many disgruntled Powersellers not happy with the new boards, new policies, new listing pages, new search ....

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 01:51:31 PM »
seems there are also many disgruntled Powersellers not happy with the new boards, new policies, new listing pages, new search ....

I cant see how anyone with more than half a brain would be happy with what ebay has done to the boards.

To start with while it was still on ebay forums they still had some control over the content.

By forcing posters off site they have now lost that control and when a large issue occurs I can see many of the off ebay support groups working together for a common cause.

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 02:38:19 PM »
Hi Chrisntan,

I think you are correct in believing that "Shane" is a construct of many people...

I put that idea forward quite a while ago, but was scoffed at... Part of my reasoning was the hours that "Shane" posted or e-mailed... He would have had to be working 24 hours, 5 days per week, which I thought was not on...

Anyway, it matters not a jot, But it would help explain the inconsistencies in decisions.

:wine:
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 03:33:57 PM »
Naaahhhh...Shane is just one guy.

He manages to get through all the emails so quickly and easily by using a very clever method of elimination.

Each morning he rocks up at work with a huge bunch of daisies...and then logs into his email account and begins to read.

He then pulls one daisy out of the bunch and begins plucking each petal....whilst chanting the words....They love me, they love me not, they love me, they love me not....

If the last petal was a 'love me' one...he overturns the report and you go free.

But! If it happens to be a 'love me not' one....he just cuts and pastes his usual drivel and presses a button... :green:

And that is the truth....would I lie? :evil:

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »
Hi Roo ! you here on ya own free will or are you on a eBali suspension?...LOL

Tigerlilypussy

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 04:00:28 PM »
Naaahhhh...Shane is just one guy.

He manages to get through all the emails so quickly and easily by using a very clever method of elimination.

Each morning he rocks up at work with a huge bunch of daisies...and then logs into his email account and begins to read.

He then pulls one daisy out of the bunch and begins plucking each petal....whilst chanting the words....They love me, they love me not, they love me, they love me not....

If the last petal was a 'love me' one...he overturns the report and you go free.

OK, what we need is Bogan Clare & a chk chk BOOOM to you Shane. How do you like that bro...

But! If it happens to be a 'love me not' one....he just cuts and pastes his usual drivel and presses a button... :green:

And that is the truth....would I lie? :evil:

Tigerlilypussy

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 04:03:58 PM »
OK, what we need is bogan Claire & a big Chk Chk BOOOM to you Shane  :snipe: :snipe:

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 04:08:26 PM »
 :o Roo wouldn't say anything that would result in a trip in eBali!  ;D

There must be some holidaymakers due to return from warmer climes soon though.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 04:10:06 PM »
Let's keelhaul him.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »
Let's keelhaul him.

I hear's ya ubbrd !!!

:pirateship: 

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »
On second thoughts I think I'll just slip up into the 2nd floor book repository with my trusty Barret 50 cal and wait for the opportune moment. that will solve everything.

Tigerlilypussy

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 04:21:44 PM »
Hanging's too good for him, a good kick up the ass is what he needs.....Ha Ha :chainsaw:

imperfect

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 04:54:31 PM »
 :green:

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 06:16:10 PM »
Tigerlilycat....don't be too hard on the old Shanester....he was really trying.....very trying...lol ;)

I think he really thought he would save the boards...in the beginning.

But his job is probably sitting on the fine wire right now, and he has to be a little more than worried.

I'd actually love to see him post here....but that may have to wait until he gets his marching orders... :-[

He's only doing his job....and my offer to shack him up for when he decides to visit the Land Down Under still stands.

I reckon some of the stories would be a hoot! :D

Gees....wouldn't one lady be a bit worried if that did happen....after all....I'm sure Shane would still keep in touch with some of the people that were left to monitor the threads...lol

Anyways....does Admin have any record of anyone with a Canadian ISP joining lately.. :evillaugh:

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 06:19:45 PM »
BTW...I'm not Narp'd or anything...I just can't be bothered with 'over there' at the moment.

It takes about 10 minutes just to sign in on Dial Up...and there isn't much to read when you get there.

cueperkins

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 06:26:07 PM »
Hi roo...know what you mean, it takes so long, it's not worth even going there...I am on dial up too....and as you say, it's dead boring anyway, so why bother anymore.  Anyway, we have a shiny new RT....hehehe

RiffRaff

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 06:32:09 PM »
I had cause to email Shane recently. My first email was regarding two posts made by a particular ID and failed to get any action. This was my second email:

Hello Shane. I see that you have allowed bxxxxxx* to continue posting.

Can you tell me how long I would be allowed to continue on eBays boards if I refered to you as c**tface on a public forum?

Masked profanity should be treated the same as profanity. Calling someone a c**t should have consequences.

This is disgusting.

Thanks XXXXXX.

Here is his response:

Hi XXXXX,

Thanks for the email.

Although I can’t comment on specific action taken on someone else’s account, I can assure you that posting such comments is not allowed and the appropriate action has been taken.

Regards,

Shane

That poster has not been seen since.

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »
That poster has not been seen since.

Not under that name anyway.... ;)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 06:41:54 PM »
Well, that's certainly one of the problems. There are and continue to be serial harassers who get their jollies out of jellybeaning other people, and who try to figure out a way of beating the odds, escaping detection for just long enough to attack people, and who have turned avoiding sanctions on eBay into an art form. Being nasty under the guise of innocence... trolling... demonstrating obsessive behaviour... we all recognise those traits.

RiffRaff

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »
Too right Roo but I haven't seen it re-appear under any guise other than the ones it occasionally uses. For that matter, neither has it's saintly mate.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »
Yes, "coot" is offensive. I prefer "Geezer".....

"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »
Too right Roo but I haven't seen it re-appear under any guise other than the ones it occasionally uses. For that matter, neither has it's saintly mate.

Which reminds me...I must do my nails tonight..lol :filenails:

col52

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »
Well, that's certainly one of the problems. There are and continue to be serial harassers who get their jollies out of jellybeaning other people, and who try to figure out a way of beating the odds, escaping detection for just long enough to attack people, and who have turned avoiding sanctions on eBay into an art form. Being nasty under the guise of innocence... trolling... demonstrating obsessive behaviour... we all recognise those traits.

Now who do you mean?  ;)

Tigerlilypussy

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 10:49:05 PM »

Now who do you mean?  ;)

I think know at least 2 sanctimonious trolls, had a huge two & fro with one of the saints on RT once & her troll mates took to me like a pack of dogs. I was defended though by some very lovely people so they scuttled away.  :evillaugh:

imperfect

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 07:25:40 PM »
 :o

Where is it?? has it been slapped into oblivion and beyond?

Ahhhh, who we gonna giggle at now :( LOL!!

Oops, sorry Riffy  ;D

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »
 :lepink: (Good for soothing poor afflicted areas)

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 07:37:31 PM »
Slip / slop / SLAP !!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 07:44:52 PM »
It's really too big to function as an emoticon, but... oh well, let's break the emoticon rule just once (again).

col52

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 10:36:44 PM »
Slip / slop / SLAP !!

..................I'll have some of that!

Tigerlilypussy

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 11:06:59 PM »
Maybe we should give Mundane McShane A PINK SLIP   & begone to him :happebali:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 11:16:54 PM »
From what's been said, it seems Shane will not be moderating the AU forums for much longer. American eBayers have experienced what it's like on an unmoderated board (or virtually unmoderated), and if that is what will happen to the AU forums, it won't be any better.

Remember that in real terms, the moderation is done by LiveWorld. They're the ones who remove posts and issue slaps. LiveWorld won't be going anywhere... and if people report each other with all the assiduity of frantically mating rabbits, LiveWorld are unlikely to be able to be relied on for a fair or informed decision. There won't be anyone with whom to communicate, unless there really will be other Pinks around. There won't be anyone to overturn a sanction - again, unless there really will be other Pinks around.

It would be... BlahWorld.

Tigerlilypussy

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2009, 11:34:28 PM »
It's the people who report posts that I can't understand. I have never reported a post or self reported.

some_other_bozo

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2009, 10:45:58 AM »
Gday everyone

The bozo has accidentally found you all....tee hee

And yes I never thought too much of Shane to be honest. I found him to be too dismissive of peoples genuine concerns and an almost complete ebay stooge. I was never slapped as such but i did once recieve a "friendly" warning from him regarding my "locked thread" thread. LOL.

Anyway its nice to see you all together still

BOZO

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2009, 11:00:48 AM »
G'Day Bozo

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2009, 11:19:37 AM »
Hello, Bozo - welcome here.

The task of being an eBay moderator must be fairly thankless - I can't imagine there is a great deal of autonomy, and I would also imagine that one's hampered by executive decisions that are difficult, if not impossible, to explain. Shane was probably also overwhelmed by vituperative and overwhelming emails - James (moderator on the UK forums) made it crystal clear he wouldn't put up with it.

I think everyone agrees Shane made some decisions that weren't fair. However, I have got to say that he was fair to me, and he was very good with pinning some threads about efforts to raise money for the bushfire appeals. Like most of us, I suspect he's just human... getting some things right and some things wrong.

I very strongly believe the problem isn't primarily with the individuals filling the role of moderator; it's with eBay's perception of a moderator's function, with eBay's determination not to spend resources in giving adequate moderating to its forums, its seconding of most of this function to LiveWorld (which requires simply automatically acting on reports - often from malicious members out to carry on a personal vendetta rather than genuine concern for posts that are defamatory, illegal or harmful), its ignoring the concerns of the majority of forum members who justifiably felt vulnerable to malicious reporting by a relative newcomer with poison in the fingertips, its determination not to allow public discussion of legal concerns, its policy of not properly addressing customer redress and discussion of it, and so on.

That's where I feel the real problem lies - in the structure and in the automatic nature of the moderating before it gets to the ad hoc appeal stage. There was really no room for appraising posts on a human level, which means some members played a little game of seeing how nasty they could be without actually contravening a rule - breaking the spirit of the forum rules but apparently complying with the letter of it. That strikes me as extremely nasty behaviour. If an intention can be seen by other members, it ought also to be seen by moderators, however cloaked in syrup the post concerned may be.

So... I don't feel Shane is in any sense the major problem; eBay's corporate decisions viz-à-viz the forums are the underlying cause of it. Several people pointed out how completely unsatisfactory it was that

• a) a person could be slapped for a post not even made by them
  • b) a person could be slapped for "hate speech" for a post like "I'm going to make stroganoff tonight!"
  • c) a person could not even get an answer from "Shaggy" (or the relevant LiveWorld slapper) when one replied to the slap by stating that the slap was wrongly issued
  • d) there was no formal appeals process
  • e) a person could consistently avoid being slapped or temporarily NARPed even when posting hate speech, defamation or revealing information contrary to the Privacy Act
  • f) persons who clearly self-reported after stirring up trouble were able to do so without any sanctions imposed upon them, and
  • g) emailing in complaint to Shane did not always result in a fair or consistent outcome.

I continue to respect the good aspects Shane gave, and to strongly dislike the negative aspects. I believe what's happened to the eBay AU forums is outrageous and totalitarian. I'm just glad there are enough people here who can help if I get into a situation where I need some good advice with eBay purchases.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2009, 11:49:03 AM »
G'day Bozo. Welcome aboard, lot of fun here.

:pirateship:

I'm the one at the stern of the ship.

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2009, 11:52:57 AM »
Careful Bozo....

Ubby's post is a veiled warning that if you require it, she will arranged for you to be keelhauled.

Ubby has the franchise here for keelhauling, and I have the franchise for being thick.

:yesmaster: is the standard address to me.