Author Topic: Funding source  (Read 13428 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Funding source
« on: May 20, 2009, 06:12:20 PM »
I would like to reiterate something that catches some people by surprise.

Today I was helping someone make their first PayPal payment in a year, and the process illustrated how careful buyers need to be when deciding on their method of payment. My friend wanted to fund his payment via credit card, and it's essential for the buyer to go through the steps at checkout of changing the funding source.

After changing the funding source, the following screen appears, quite strongly suggesting that funding the payment by bank account offers some sort of extra benefit.

The wording is:

Before changing your funding source to a credit card, consider the benefits of paying with your bank account:

* No finance charges or bills to pay
    * Your bank account details are kept private

In addition, for all funding sources, PayPal provides 100% protection against unauthorised payments sent through your PayPal account.

Do you still want to change your funding source to a credit card?

The button saying "Don't change" is highlighted in orange, and the button to actually confirm that one's choice is indeed wanted is a washed-out grey - "Change".

You will need to click onto the grey "Change" button to confirm your funding source change.

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

llama

Re: Funding source
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 10:51:06 PM »
The other thing that is important to understand is that Paypal will ALWAYS use your "Paypal Balance" before drawing money from a Bank Acct or Credit Card.

The only way to get it to fund from a Credit Card is to withdraw all your funds first. However, doing that will cost you $1 if you have less that $150 in the account.

The easist solution is to open 2 Paypal accounts - one for Buying (with ONLY an attached Credit Card) and the other as a Selling Account with linked Bank Account. Make the Buying one a "personal" account, so that if you need to accept payments from friends, etc you can bypass the 2.4% fee (providing they are using a non-Credit Card funding source to pay you.

I do this all the time. When I wish to buy for "cash" I simply transfer from my Selling account to the Buying account. There are no fees that way, and the payment transfer is instant.

I hope that makes sense.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 12:14:06 AM »
It makes very good sense. I never have any money in my PayPal account anyway, but for people who are sellers as well as buyers, it's a good solution.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 12:36:14 AM »
FYI - I have made numerous purchases in the last 24 hours and other than the first time - with the orange button saying cancel - I have not seen that again

I change the funding source each and every time - BUT - I have not seen that again

Just thought you might be interested
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma