Author Topic: I can't cancel a PayPal claim - is anyone else experiencing this?  (Read 12753 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Oh dear.

I'd opened a PayPal dispute when a book I'd purchased from Germany didn't arrive. I had let the seller know there was a problem, and the seller said something along the lines of (rough translation) "I packed it in a yellow padded envelope/bag; sometimes they do go missing."

Now, I had no quibbles with the seller, and because I had every hope the parcel would turn up, I didn't want to initiate a chargeback with my card provider. I WISH PayPal hadn't reduced the time for dispute-opening to 45 days... but since they have, I waited until day 44 and then opened a dispute with a polite message to the seller, stating I hoped the book would still arrive.

It still hadn't arrived by day 18 of the dispute, so I escalated and let the seller know again that I'd cancel the claim if the parcel didn't arrive. I knew from experience I'd have at least 30 days before PayPal would possibly reach a conclusion.

And just today, the parcel arrived. Two months to get here! But of course it's not the seller's fault, and I was very, very glad I could close the claim.

Er...

... Well... I did TRY to close the claim, but every attempt (clicking upon "cancel the claim") got me to the correct page (where I select "I have received my item"), but as soon as I hit "Cancel", I receive an error page with this information:

"Sorry - your last action could not be completed"

After 15 attempts, I gave up and thought, "All right - let's call PayPal."

Has anyone tried to call PayPal today?

Every time - EVERY SINGLE TIME on the 20 times I've tried - that the horrible automatic voice thing says "Please hold while I transfer you to an agent", the call is disconnected.

Suggestions?

Is anyone else getting through?

Am I the only one suffering this?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Poddy

Re: I can't cancel a PayPal claim - is anyone else experiencing this?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »
Contessa,

Message me with the number you have, I may have a better one if it isnt the same one ;)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 02:40:07 PM »
Thank you, Poddy - without that number, I'd still have been unable to do anything!

I contacted PayPal on that number you gave me, and got through to a real live person who did say she was having a bit of trouble closing the claim, put me on hold, then returned 3 minutes later saying the claim was now closed. However, I am still puzzled about the claim. My PayPal account shows the claim as still being open, but when I click onto the claim number or the "View" link, I receive the "Sorry - your last action could not be completed" error page.

I haven't received an email to indicate the claim has been closed.

Something is clearly still wrong.

... On another subject, I mentioned the problem with the other telephone number (being disconnected as soon as the voice bot says he is going to transfer me to an agent). Let's hope THAT is being taken care of.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

col52

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 05:37:57 PM »
That is bad customer service to have a service number cut you off and not being able to control your own account!

imperfect

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:52:33 AM »
So glad you could get through.

It's these glitches that make dealing with them irritating.

brumbymg

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 12:54:28 PM »

It's these glitches that make dealing with them irritating.

If it were only the glitches ...

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 08:23:13 PM »
It still seems weird to me.

My PayPal account no longer shows an Open Case. However, this is the information (discreetly edited for privacy) I see in my list of all claims:

26/04/2009  xxtransactionIDxx  Non-receipt   Seller   -€amount EUR    14/05/2009    Case Closed    
                               Claim

There's no link to "View". When I try to see the details of the closed claim by clicking onto the transaction ID, this is the information I receive:

Sorry - your last action could not be completed

If you were making a purchase or sending money, we recommend that you check
    both your PayPal account and your email for a transaction confirmation after 30 minutes.

If you came to this page from another website, please return to that site (don't use your
    browser's Back button) and try again.

If you came from PayPal's website, click the PayPal logo in the upper-left-hand corner to return
    to the home page and try again. You might have to log in again.

And I still haven't received an email from PayPal about the case being closed.

It makes me feel uneasy, and I wonder whether I should get in touch with the seller again to check whether PayPal have released her money.