Author Topic: The importance of owning your own website  (Read 9021 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
The importance of owning your own website
« on: August 17, 2011, 10:16:10 AM »
A great article for anyone building a business and relying solely on eBay/facebook/wordpress etc

http://www.copyblogger.com/digital-sharecropping/

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: The importance of owning your own website
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »
}e-SNIPE{
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:54:43 AM »
interesting article , the bit about the landlord tripling the rent is in my opinion probably stretching the truth or at the very least a very very very very rare occurance , most landlords of commercial properties are more than happy to have a tennnat at all in this financial climate so for a landlord to triple the rent at a drop of the hat would be far from the norm , but lets not let the truth get in the way of an otherwise reasonable argument why having your own website could have its benefits

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
I'm staying out of this one.

I'll see you in the alley, later....
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 01:51:37 PM »
Smee, sorry to post and run before, I had a 2 o'clock deadline to submit a report, all done now.

I know a tripling of the rent may be an exaggeration in the article but increases in shop rentals do happen all the time. A large local shopping centre was recently revamped and increased in size with additional parking etc. Owners of some of the existing stores had no changes made to the size or layout of their stores but their rents went up. Rentals are charged on a fixed amount per month plus a percentage of sales. After the revamp, the monthly rent AND the percentage increased because the owners said that there would be more shoppers at the centre and their business would increase. The opposite actually happened, their turnover either stayed the same or decreased due to the extra competition (similar stores are now located a couple of doors away) and their profit margins were greatly reduced because of the rental increase.

The points in the article are relevant to anyone who relies on online sales for their income. Sellers should not depend on one platform for their sales, especially on eBay with their ever-changing rules.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »
2. An opt-in email list, ideally with a high-quality autoresponder

That probably is the most important but very often overlooked matter. Autoresponder is cheap. As they say, money is in the list. I find it very true. Business website without opt-in email list, is, well, leaving a lot of money on the table.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »
I have no doubt email autoresponders work very, very well for a lot of people.

Personally, I hate them. HATE them.

I particularly hate them when they are the implicit price of using a particular free service. I want to use the service, but I honestly do not want to be bombarded with emails from that website.

Of course one shouldn't complain... or look a gift horse in the mouth... but nevertheless, I still do hate receiving all of those emails like a bombardment of cannonballs.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
Well, as with everything, there is ethical and unethical business. There are business who respect their subscribers and do not spam their email account. Think Amazon, Microsoft, Symantec, abebooks.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 09:41:24 PM »
Even Abebooks send me too many emails. I don't want to know about cheap textbooks or free shipping to Australia. I only use Abebooks for out of print books that are impossible to buy from elsewhere... yet over the last 4 weeks I've received 9 unnecessary emails from them (and there might have been more - I'm only counting the ones that are still in my Deleted folder). It's not a lot in comparison with the bombardment technique of a lot of other sites, but it does give some some insight for me into how other people might feel about receiving emails from sites.

My preference is for me to receive at most 1 such email a month, and in fact from the majority of websites from whom I receive these emails, I'd prefer to receive 1 email every 4 months.

I know many others like getting these sorts of emails more frequently than I do. But it's interesting that there is a variety of preferences among people. Perhaps it should be an option on websites that send out subscription emails - the person could specify how frequently they'd like to receive them. I do honestly think the days of "hook them with exciting catch-phrases and send them an email every week to keep their interest" are long, long gone. Those tactics do nothing to attract me.

SOME OF THE WORST OFFENDERS:

WebProNews
B2B Search Engine
Amazon.cn

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 01:50:50 PM »
While I agree the tripling of a rent is an extreme, I wonder at the actual amount that was being charged beforehand.

Smee's comment about a landlord being glad to have some rent coming in made me think - was this the case when the previous lease was drawn up?  Could the landlord have been really desperate back then and went for bargain basement figures just to get any funds coming in?

Since that time, perhaps the locality has had improvements that have brought the property up in its rental potential?  Maybe there was some high powered organisation that made the landlord an offer 'too good to refuse' and the tripling of rent was the leverage used to kill off the current tenant's interest in exercising their right to renew.  There are dozens of questions.

Nevertheless, the point is still quite valid - if you 'rent' space anywhere, you are at the mercy of the landlord.

... and that's one of the basics I have kept in mind with website development:  Make sure you can pull up stakes and find new lodgings with a minimum of disruption.  It's part of disaster recovery planning - and the disaster need not be a fire in a server room.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 04:18:05 PM »
I positively and absolutely agree about the importance of owning your own site.

1. Control. You can control the layout, the type of content, the functionality... all of it. If you're able to design the site yourself, fine - but for business purposes get a professional site designer. Make sure though that YOU, the owner, have full access to the website's innards. Don't be at the mercy of a company who won't allow you cPanel access, for instance.
   2. Security. You have all heard of the disturbing breaches in security which saw very personal details made public on Facebook accounts. If your "site" or web presence is on those sorts of accounts (Twitter, Facebook, WordPress, MySpace, MyWhatever), you cannot prevent such security breaches because it's beyond your control.
   3. No Sudden Chop. You won't find your "site" or account suddenly suspended. Have your own website, and as long as your server is fine, your site is up and good to go. If something does happen to your server, you'll at least have your website files saved so you can upload again onto another server/host. And if you have regular backups, any new content will also be saved because you can upload the latest backup as well.
   4. A more professional look. There's no doubt that a website URL such as www.mybusinessnamewebsite.com.au or something like that is more professional-looking and inspires more confidence from potential customers than a website URL which is clearly a subdomain of a free provider or an account on social media.
   5. Drive the traffic to YOUR site. Those who depend on Facebook or Twitter or whatever are really using the social media website to bring customers to them. Thus immediately come the following points:
           i. Non-Facebook users are less likely to find you than Facebook users - immediately limiting your potential customers;
           ii. If Facebook goes down, so do you;
           iii. If Facebook dies out, so does your site;
           iv. If ANYTHING happens to Facebook, you'll have lost your customer base by and large, and when you start up again elsewhere (FaceTwitter, MyNewBook, whatever), you'll have to build up followers in THAT NEW MEDIA. BUT... if you use social media to drive traffic to YOUR SITE (not your Facebook "site", or whatever) - as ONE of your methods of attracting business, you'll gain customers who will find you through your WEBSITE - and means Facebook could perish without taking you with it.
   6. Your content is your content. Did you know that when you post something onto a website or a blog, where you are no the owner, that content or intellectual property can no longer be regarded as your own? You cannot demand the site remove your content if you decide to leave. You cannot demand the site restore your content if they remove it. You cannot - in fact - demand anything. This is crucial for people who deal in words or images. Do NOT trust other websites with material over which you want and deserve copyright or ownership or control. Of course, other people may COPY your content once it's online, even if it's on your own website, but there are many incidences of people who have received a C&D letter from solicitors acting for clients whose copyrighted material has been used without permission. The bottom line: you CAN take action against copyright breachers if you have your own content on your own site marked as copyright, but you haven't a hope if you post that content on social media websites.

In short - your own website is a very, very good idea. Of course you'll be responsible for the design and functionality (or you'll hire someone to be), so it's more work initially, and of course you'll be responsible for regular backups - but it is worth it on every level.

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 05:07:54 PM »
I believe the biggest challenge for most website owner is about driving buyer traffic to their website. SEO, video marketing, social media marketing, classified ads, media buy, article marketing, forum marketing, email marketing, lead buying, pay per click, cost per action, back linking, etc, etc. None of them are easy however you look at it.

If you could hijack steal redirect some targeted buyer traffic from youtube, craiglist, twitter, facebook, ebay, amazon, other seller's mailing list, DO IT. Your website is still your website. The only time you are at risk is when you registered a domain name that contain a brand name, eg, try www.buymicrosoftoffice.com and Microsoft will come after you.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »
Very true, Low. Traffic is the challenge.

(And yes - anyone who tweaks the noses of Big Brands had best prepare to be back-handed by a heavy paw!)