Author Topic: Paymate as an accepted payment method  (Read 14600 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Paymate as an accepted payment method
« on: May 15, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »
copied from the AAM board
paymate (0)
15/05/2009 10:38

Just a note to confirm that:

1. Paymate is an accepted payment method on eBay worldwide;

2. Paymate is fully-integrated into Checkout on ebay.com and can be used by both US sellers and AU sellers listing in USD;

3. We have no buyer fees for sales on ebay.com or ebay.com.au.

4. Paymate is not yet integrated into Checkout on ebay.com.au - do write to your eBay rep to ask for this!

For further assistance, please contact clientservices@paymate.com.au.

Thanks!

Dilip Rao
Managing Director, Paymate

Paymate's ME page
http://cgi3.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=paymate

debra9275

Re: Paymate as an accepted payment method
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 03:41:21 PM »
I did see that there wheels. interesting huh?

Does anyone here list on ebay.com and use it?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 11:37:20 PM »
I'm a buyer rather than a seller, but I suppose I could list some of the books I don't want and which are taking up valuable space that could be used by OTHER books that are better books.

I will have to sign up to Paymate. I've just never had occasion to before.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

imperfect

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 02:15:30 PM »
Hi all,

I have a Paymate account, it use to be to preferred payment option over paypal, before the paypal push. Mind you this was some 5 years ago.

I did notice that even though the fee structure is set differently to paypal, the total fees were not a great deal different to paypal.

Now having said that I did find Paymate easier to contact and I felt more supportive.

I have had only one bad experience with Paypal but let me say it was a terrible one, I had no way to respond to a claim, I tried contacting them, emailed 6 times over 5 days, I never had my question answered and still to this day still have not heard from them...

Quite surprisingly enough I did get a survey from them to ask what I though of their assistance, rest assured I told them.

Primaryaim

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »
That is appalling customer service Imp. I only use paypal to purchase from overseas traders but I don't seem able to buy much these days anyway.

imperfect

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 04:18:17 PM »
It is Prim, very bad, I was so cross with them.

This is actually when I started looking for help else where and found the old RT :)

Sadly no one but Paypal could help me with my issue but at least I found some lovely support and it made it easier to handle. :)

Primaryaim

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 04:36:23 PM »
Were you advised to contact the Ombudsman?

col52

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 05:31:50 PM »
Well, this site has been accused as a "Paypal basher" and I think that is unfair. However, there are many occasions where Paypal leave themselves open to it, such as their "customer service" (similar to ebay's).

I have to say that Paymates customer service is FAR superior.
I added Paymate as a payment option to my website as there are a lot that just plain refuse to use Paypal (especially NZ). Not that long after I added it, I got this huge order through and they used Paymate to make payment.
I was a little suspicious of the order actually and was very pleased to see how Paymate reacted. They held on to the transaction and informed me straight away that they were doing checks to make sure all was ok. Sure enough a day or so later, they told me it was fraudulent!

In all the time I have used Paypal, never once did they do anything like that and I have had a few fraudulent transactions through them!

Paymate checks the validity of credit cards to protect it's sellers - Paypal does not!

imperfect

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 06:04:20 PM »
I was actually Prim, I did and they told me to wait to hear from paypal...LOL!!!

I'm not anti paypal, but in that instance they let me down, so I am a whole lot smarted now.

Primaryaim

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 06:06:02 PM »
So much for us telling the punters to contact the ombudsman. I will rethink that solution.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 07:05:06 PM »
The Ombudsman does ask people to go through the process of contacting PayPal. It's when the process fails that a complaint to the Ombudsman can be made. (It would be unfair to make a complaint against PayPal if PayPal hasn't been given the chance to address the problem, of course!)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Primaryaim

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 07:16:04 PM »
Countess, Imp said she tried Paypal and they would not reply to her. She was probably entitled to contact the ombudsman by then I guess.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 07:26:31 PM »
Hmm... I suppose it depends how far the PayPal "investigative" process had got!

From what A*J*S said, it seems PayPal have to render a decision - and if that decision is not a fair one or fails to offer redress even though a dispute or claim is resolved in the person's favour, then that person can make a complaint to the Ombudsman.

I may be wrong, but that's what I recall...

Primaryaim

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 07:41:19 PM »
Entirely agree Countess but she had contacted them 6 times and they would not reply. I think by that stage I would have contacted the ombudsman but it seems they did not help anyway. Not good.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 10:07:22 PM »
I agree - not good.

I had to close a claim yesterday, couldn't, and had enormous trouble contacting PayPal. (My situation's different, of course, but I really sympathise with Imp's situation of not being able to contact PayPal.)

Perhaps Imp should have gone back to the Ombudsman after another week of no contact from PayPal, and insisted upon opening a claim since she'd done everything possible to contact PayPal. I don't know - I suppose it's easy to say in retrospect. Certainly inability to be contacted is a serious issue.

imperfect

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 09:22:03 AM »
It's not 10 months since my very first email, all I have every got from paypal have been their automated replies acknowledging my email, non of my questions were ever addressed.

I gave Paypal, 5 days To reply until I called the Ombudsman.

Of course because I had no way of disputing the claim against me (there was no actual "reply" button) and all my emails had to be through normal email system, I was then accused of harassment, avoiding the proper procedure and the scammer got what she wanted.

Let me just say that since this, the claimer involved has since been totally banned for life from eBay, I know this as she contacted a member of a club I'm in via email and abusing her and stated her eBay status. She ended up scamming approx 34 people.

I was very frustrated that I had no way of defending myself, I had just come back to eBay after not selling for 5 years, everything had changed, I had no idea where to go or what to do..

Luckily it was only $55, thank goodness.

imperfect

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 09:25:12 AM »
I agree - not good.

I had to close a claim yesterday, couldn't, and had enormous trouble contacting PayPal. (My situation's different, of course, but I really sympathise with Imp's situation of not being able to contact PayPal.)

Perhaps Imp should have gone back to the Ombudsman after another week of no contact from PayPal, and insisted upon opening a claim since she'd done everything possible to contact PayPal. I don't know - I suppose it's easy to say in retrospect. Certainly inability to be contacted is a serious issue.

Your right Countessa, I should of gone back but I was unwell at the time and found it all very confusing, I can say now that it wouldn't happen like that again, not now I have a place to find support and advice.

col52

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 11:39:45 AM »
A "customer" has once again just tried to carry out a fraudulent transaction via Paymate (twice) within the last hour.

Within 2 minutes of both transactions, I received (I've * out important info):

"Hi,

The following payment to your account was unsuccessful. 

Details are as follows;

Payor            : **********
Amount           : AUD 141.99
Date Processed   : 17 MAY 2009
Reference Number : ************

The Paymate security/risk management online system declined this payment.

We recommend that you contact your buyer to arrange another method of payment."

My question is, if these transactions had gone through Paypal, would Paypal have accepted them, tell me it was ok to deliver to the customer for me to then get a credit card imposed chargeback at a later date (& me be charged an additional $25 for the "pleasure")..............or would Paypal have detected the fraud?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 12:25:23 PM »
I believe you can claim through PayPal under the Seller Protection Policy, but this policy isn't really made obvious or clear. I  know of sellers who mutter empoweringly the single word: "Ombudsman". If PayPal doesn't protect the seller from such chargebacks, there's at least that route to take, and I've only heard of successful cases in relation to Ombudsman claims against PayPal in such instances.

Other sellers have apparently had no problem at all in claiming back their funds under the Seller Protection Policy.

But you're perfectly right - prevention is better than cure, and what you're saying indicates Paymate are better at the pre-emptive solution. I like the idea of Paymate avoiding the problem rather than letting it happen and then saying, "Well, you can always claim under section blah blah blah of the blah blah blah policy".

brumbymg

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 12:52:23 PM »
It would seem that you are getting the 'express lane' to re-education.  A rough trip, but hopefully enlightening. I know you'll get some good help here.

And, as you say, the amount is only $55 - so even if you lose out on that completely, it hasn't been too expensive a loss.  Philosophical approaches are needed at times.

I know a few of my life's lessons that would have been a bargain at a cost of $55.

col52

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 01:40:20 PM »
I believe you can claim through PayPal under the Seller Protection Policy, but this policy isn't really made obvious or clear.

I'll be honest, I haven't checked the policy out before saying this. I knew you could with an ebay sale/Paypal payment - but is there the same coverage with a purchase from you own website/Paypal payment?