Author Topic: Unfortunate situation with a seller  (Read 22692 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Unfortunate situation with a seller
« on: May 13, 2009, 03:00:29 PM »
I'm wondering whether to initiate a chargeback regarding a purchase I made recently. I've been looking (on behalf of a friend of a relative) for a French film on DVD called Monsieur Batignole. Because this person doesn't speak French, it was important to ensure the DVD had English subtitles.

It's been a bit of a comedy of errors! I found it on Amazon.fr, had it sent, and to my dismay discovered that it did NOT have English subtitles in spite of the listing specifying it did. The seller suggested I return it for a refund, but when I asked whether the refund would include return postage, seller went silent... I heaved a sigh, decided to keep the film myself since my French is good enough, sent off a final email to the seller telling them that I'd just keep the DVD (no reply to that one either), and then contacted each and every one of the other sellers who were listing under the same EAN.

It's lucky I did. They all replied that, no, the edition they had didn't include subtitles. (They must not have noticed they were listing under the wrong EAN.)

BUT... then I found the title (stating that it had English subtitles) suddenly available (1 copy) on Amazon.uk. Great! - I thought.

I suppose in retrospect I should have seen this coming... It was, again, the non-subtitled version. The seller's reply to my communication was interesting: she said that since the listing said Region 2, and she'd added that it came from France, I should have known it didn't have subtitles. She ended with what I thought was a gratuitous comment to "enjoy my DVD". She indicated that it was my fault.

I replied to her that the EAN under which she listed was for the subtitled edition, which was also released in France and was also Region 2. I pointed out that the listing STATED that there were subtitles. I added that had I wanted a no-subtitled version, I could have purchased it for a fraction of the cost, new.

Oh well. I did actually find the DVD with subtitles, by the way - New Zealand company.

I now have two copies of a DVD I hadn't really wanted myself... and I'm musing over whether I should go through the process of either initiating a chargeback or opening a marketplace dispute with the Amazon.uk seller. My inclination is to sigh and forget about it, and to look for a French-speaking person who wants the DVD so that at least it's not just gathering dust. I don't like giving negative feedback, and will avoid giving it.

Your thoughts?

Caution: I may not act on any ideas posted in reply! It could be that just posting about it will make me feel the therapy of having a bit of a whinge.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Golden Silence

Re: Unfortunate situation with a seller
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Countessa, I have absolutely no experience with Amazon so I don't know how difficult the processes are but that second seller's attitude would have rubbed me up the wrong way enough to take some sort of official action.

From what you've said about the listing, she was clearly at fault. Whatever you decide, enjoy the film lol.

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 03:16:41 PM »
Hi Countess,

Please bear in mind that if you don't take action, it allows the sellers at fault to continue to rip off buyers ..

Cheers
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
Charge back - now - simply because what was advertised DID NOT match what was received

IF YOU had bought it at JB Hi-Fi - you would have taken it back - so what is the difference?

Explain the difference and then you will have your answer ;)
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »
Golden Silence, cheeky reply!

Barny, Ewok, the seller is undoubtedly at fault, initially by failing to realise that not all Monsieur Batignoles are the same... and had I been the seller, I'd have been mortified and immediately offered full refund.

I don't think the seller set out to rip off anyone.

I do think the seller handled it extremely badly by refusing to take responsibility.

I wanted to make sure I didn't react in a knee-jerk way. I am mulling it over, and planning to get into my "mean mode" so that I can proceed.

(Ewok, where's that chainsaw? ... *goes looking*... Ah. There it is.  :chainsaw: )
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

night-hawk-1

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:03:51 PM »
Countess I would be demanding a full refund

i would start the refund process

If the seller didnt get with it I would be leaving a neg

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 08:21:34 PM »
G'day Countess. 

I agree with da_ewok, Chargeback immediately. The seller can not be allowed to get away with selling mis-described goods. Others may get caught the way you were.

The cat agrees as well.

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 09:40:52 PM »
Sorry countess, but I agree with every one else!
This seller will only go on to rip off more poor unsuspecting buyers, if you do not do something that is within your power, to teach them a lesson!

col52

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 10:12:51 PM »
I'd be opening a marketplace dispute with both of the Amazon sellers. If that failed, chargeback!
Both were in the wrong.

:pirateship:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »
That seller apears to be thumbing her nose at you, countess. Not a good attitude !!

Prospective buyers need to be aware of that seller's attitude.

The seller needs to be more careful when listing, and have more regard for her buyers if there are genuine problems with transactions.

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

brumbymg

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 02:49:19 AM »
Ahh ubbrd, subtle as always.

I see your cat takes after your interests - I can see how you two would get on.

Countess - I, too, would not disagree with the cat.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 10:35:21 PM »
I took the advice of everyone here into consideration, and bit the bullet.

I've initiated a claim. We'll see how it goes. The level of meanness running through my veins now is enough to power a small paper boat. (I'm working my way up.)

col52

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 10:54:30 PM »
The level of meanness running through my veins now is enough to power a small paper boat. (I'm working my way up.)

:chair:

brumbymg

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 10:58:38 PM »
Move over Col

:chair: :chair:

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 11:04:57 PM »
Countess.

I'll teach you how to fire a Barrets 50 cal. you can be as mean as you want with one of those & no one will argue.
 :snipe:

col52

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 11:23:12 PM »
Move over Col

:chair: :chair:

:rofl:

Anyone want to use these? They're going cheap at the moment, only a groat each:

:chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair: :chair:

jonnjenn

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 09:08:38 AM »
LOL Col, I have a groat dated 1855 but it has a big hole ( a bullet put there by a countess ancestor??) so it may only be worth  13 quarter farthings.

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 09:29:35 AM »
Hey Jonnjenn,

Being related to our Countess, means that you can sing.... Right ??  :huh: ??

And we only have to pay a quarter farthing to listen ??

Cheers

col52

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 11:15:37 AM »
Hello jonnjenn, sorry but the chairs are a full groat. Damaged currency is a no no. Maybe countess could offer you compensation if it was one of her relatives who caused the damage. I reckon that could add up to a fair bit, given the number of years and interest on a yearly basis!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 11:48:30 AM »
I'm sorry, but since my eBay username is quite self-titled (and they didn't even give me a castle to go with it), I doubt any of my ancestors appropriated the same title and could be considered responsible for the bullet!

I'm now mean enough to strike fear into the heart of bok choy. (Today, bok choy - tomorrow all the cabbages of the world.)

col52

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 11:14:35 PM »
Watch out, there's a mean countess about  :chair:   :scold: :blah: :yesmaster:

Primaryaim

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 10:43:29 AM »
Col, if you don't get out from under that darn chair you will never be able to walk straight up again. ;D

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 10:45:39 AM »
That's OK Prim, Col hasn't been properly erect for some time now.

:potstir:   :devil:

Cheers

Primaryaim

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 12:45:49 PM »
Naughty Barny, consider yourself    :slap:   ;D

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 01:02:56 PM »
Yes prim,

When Col sees that, he'll prolly nuke me..

:wine:

Primaryaim

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 01:05:14 PM »
 :goodluck:

col52

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 04:12:53 PM »
Col, if you don't get out from under that darn chair you will never be able to walk straight up again. ;D

I seem to be spending a lot of time there lately trying to avoid forum fallout. LOL

col52

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 04:14:57 PM »
That's OK Prim, Col hasn't been properly erect for some time now.

:potstir:   :devil:

Cheers

:o  :gossip: :snipe: :scold: :chainsaw: :deadhorse: :fishslap: :slap: :shark: :lurklaser:

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »
 :green:

:wine:

Primaryaim

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 04:37:29 PM »
You guys make me smile. Thank you :)

col52

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 04:46:37 PM »
You guys make me smile. Thank you :)

:o We can't have that!!! We would be leaving you unprepared for visiting ebay!
One must be  :( for occasions such as that.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009, 04:51:17 PM »
Ah, do I sense the need for a keelhauling? 

col52

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2009, 04:54:30 PM »
Ah, do I sense the need for a keelhauling? 

Sumfin like that ubbrd

brumbymg

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 06:50:56 PM »
Please ... if ubbrd is in the mood for a keelhauling, lets help him. (Wouldn't want him to get frustrated and pull out the Barretts!!)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 10:16:11 PM »
Amazon Marketplace refunded my money.

I would like to send back the DVD, but the seller doesn't want to pay the postage back and hasn't responded to my last email. This seems to be a case where, if the seller had accepted responsibility for her error, we could have found a compromise. I'd have accepted an offer of a partial refund, or an agreement to refund me fully once I returned the DVD, but there was nothing the seller was willing to do, nor any degree of responsibility.

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 10:48:28 PM »
I'm glad you had a good outcome   :t2:  , countessa - and more fool the seller for NOT doing the right thing!

Let us hope thay learn a lesson. :professor:

:wcat:

qualitycateringco

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 01:29:54 PM »
Hi Countessa,

I'm assuming - probably incorrectly - that you may not realise that a lot of subtitled DVDs are default-set to "No Subtitles", but you can change that in the Menu. I've bought a few DVDs from o/s that I've had to switch subtitles to Off, but in your case it may be the other way round.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 03:52:14 PM »
No, I did double-check in the faint hope that English subtitles would be hidden somewhere in the menu. There was no subtitle option. (But you're right - sometimes buyers don't realise the option may be there!)

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 05:49:19 PM »
I still think the offender should be keelhauled & then perhaps we could stake him to a fence as a warning to others!