Author Topic: CHINESE SELLERS, DSR's & POSTAGE CHARGES  (Read 14214 times)

debra*

CHINESE SELLERS, DSR's & POSTAGE CHARGES
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:50:02 PM »
Today I conducted a search of a 'small item' category, ending today and these are some of the results.

No of items    28,657

No of items    18,307  (Australia only)

When I conduct an "Australia only" listed item search, I find that I'm still wading through hundreds of overseas items, that I have no interest in buying.

Seller is registered in Hong Kong, Singapore etc. but the listings falsely state that the item location is  Australia. I wonder what the 'true' list content of Australian listed items really is?

Another give away, is the postage charges, you may think that you are buying a 99c bargain, but have a look at the postage charges, if they are not on the listing, contact the seller through the listing and ask, as you don't want any nasty little surprises.

Speaking of surprises, what do you make of this?

remember, these are very small items.

$6.00 shipping (includes handling fee)  12-25 days

$25.00 EMS                                      7-10 days

$35.00 DHL                                       4-7 days

Refunds - item must be returned within 7 days
Full refund or exchange value within 30 days after payment received.

To send the item back within 7 days of purchase is pretty difficult, not to mention costly.

on another listing I found
$34.00 airmail                                    10-21 working days.
$32.00 add a second item.

($66.00) for two small items?

DSR's many of the Chinese sellers have low DSR's, especially for postage.
At what point do low DSR's take effect on sellers?
Is the same for Australian sellers?

I will be adding more to this thread as I come across them, if anyone has had an experience that they would like to share, please feel free to do so.

Bunny

Re: CHINESE SELLERS, DSR's & POSTAGE CHARGES
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:41:11 PM »
I have seen a few listings with aussie seller clearly stated in  the item title and then when you go into the listing its in china and seller is in china.  >:(

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:55:54 PM »
If you look at Antiques....Ancient Artifacts you will find the most outrageous claims ... eg "rare" etc.. and listings as low as 39c with very high postage.

Not all the listings are from China , and I no longer bother to look at any of the sellers individually. Just have a look when I feel in the mood for a horror story.

I am always appalled by the fact that people are bidding on items which are not  "rare" or "vintage" or "antique" as often claimed , and all with high postage.

It does concern me that buyers who win these items are being ripped off.

Last year I came across $200.00 postage for "antiques" made 'yesterday' in China. Short auction times and low starting amounts such as 99c. People were bidding !

Caveat emptor !!!!!

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:04:12 AM »
If you look at Antiques....Ancient Artifacts you will find the most outrageous claims ... eg "rare" etc.. and listings as low as 39c with very high postage.

Not all the listings are from China , and I no longer bother to look at any of the sellers individually. Just have a look when I feel in the mood for a horror story.

I am always appalled by the fact that people are bidding on items which are not  "rare" or "vintage" or "antique" as often claimed , and all with high postage.

It does concern me that buyers who win these items are being ripped off.

Last year I came across $200.00 postage for "antiques" made 'yesterday' in China. Short auction times and low starting amounts such as 99c. People were bidding !

Caveat emptor !!!!!

BUT.......... as was in print this week - it is saving the real antiques of the world by selling to reproductions

They are getting so good - that even the dealers now won't buy anything unless they can play touch and feel and perhaps analyse before purchasing - 2 years ago - you could buy online and not have that problem often!

"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:47:13 AM »
I know da_ewok  :)

I have no problem with a reproduction of anything as long as it is sold as such. Nothing wrong with that at all.

The thing I do not like is items that are not genuine antiques or rare being sold as such. The items I am speaking of are being churned out in large numbers in a number of countries. That is fine if they sold as replicas/copies.

I will hop off my soap box now and sit in the corner as I am beginning to bore me ;D
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

debra9275

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 08:24:49 AM »
That's a good point centuries, reproductions from Asia are almost always described as 'rare' or 'genuine' antiques. quite misleading in my view. For those who know their antiques, it may be obvious, but I wonder do some people really think that they are buying a 'genuine' antique? at a bargain price.

Hasn't China got some sort of laws regarding antiques leaving the country?

LiisaSx

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
I read somewhere recently that the fake antiques, coming out of China were in some cases so good that even the experts have difficulty telling the difference between a fake and an authentic antique....frightening.

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 10:38:11 AM »
Antiques, Coins, and other collectables, are now part of a world wide rip-off market.

In my opinion, NOBODY should buy these online anymore.

I don't see this as eBay's fault particularly, although there is things that they should do to minimize the damage.

Cheers
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:29:17 PM »
Yes lilly. There are all sorts of regulations/laws regarding the removal of precious/antique objects from China now.

I only know what a family member has mentioned during the course of our conversations. Not au fait with the laws personally.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »
It must have been a good line of return initially - the whole idea of buying antiques online, and therefore getting a great deal because of all the costs eliminated from the equation. These could have included cutting out the middleman, no shop renting space, no percentage to stall owner, no fee to Christies, etc. But fakes and reproductions were definitely slipped into the mix, and these artificially deflated the price in the mind of collectors who were uninformed.

Perhaps the problem is at least partly the lack of knowledge of collectors today. People are depending on things like price comparisons rather than expert knowledge, and they seem to see sometimes no difference between something that's genuinely 300-400 years old and a modern reproduction, even when the reproduction is quite obviously a reproduction. Not only that, but antiques are not always of good quality. One item that's 300-400 years old may not be worth as much as another item that's 300-400 years old - there are considerations such as the maker or designer, goldsmith/silversmith/craftsman, school of design, quality of the materials used, workmanship, chronological period, period of the maker (sometimes a particular period or style in a designer's career are more highly prized than others), rarity of the object, and a whole host of other considerations.

It would be wonderful to have resources available for genuine collectors and sellers of genuine items, wouldn't it? *wistful expression* Something to help sellers describe their items correctly...? Something to educate the potential buyers?

Ah well. In the meantime, genuine antiques of value and beauty might sell for a ridiculously small amount, or they might fetch more than their value, in online auctions. Fakes might sell for around the same prices as the genuine items, or they might go for 99 cents with high postage. It's all a bit jumbled up and very confusing, and collectors probably need to be aware of export and antique laws for certain countries.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 10:29:25 PM »
Anybody be interested in some GENUINE silver bars? (Reported as silver plated lead bars actually..) Only 99cents + $199 postage! They will refund if you're not happy - the 99 cents that is - not the postage costs!

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 02:20:59 AM »

Tempting   ;D    :spend:   

:rofl: 

debra9275

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 07:59:28 AM »
Bargain!

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 09:51:06 AM »
Just had a wonderful thought!!! I wonder if these could be melted down and made into fishing sinkers? Might be really good for catching species such as Silver Bream..... Silver Dory..... and anything else made out of silver! Now why didn't the seller add this to his seller description! (whoops.... could it be that they don't have any silver fish in China?) :pigsfly:

But - to the left of topic....... I note that the US has an interesting pricing structure where it comes to postage as well. A paper item that will fit into an A4 envelope.... $34? From the UK, the same item at around $5.50 Aus? Curious!!

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 01:38:05 AM »
$34.00!!!!!! Is that an error??

debra9275

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 12:06:45 PM »
lol centuries,

no,  it's pure profit. This postage charge was for an item that would be little more than an envelope size & if you decided to buy a second item, you would get a postage discount of $32.00 on that.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 05:33:30 PM »
What a wondeful world it is ;D :spend: :robin:

col52

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 06:18:57 PM »
lol centuries,

no,  it's pure profit. This postage charge was for an item that would be little more than an envelope size & if you decided to buy a second item, you would get a postage discount of $32.00 on that.

It's called the China post syndrome.

debra9275

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »
I wanted to buy a Victorian beaded bag , so I searched Vintage beaded bags, worldwide, 85% of the listings were for new vintage beaded bags from China, a little annoying to wade through, but I eventually found what I wanted for sale in the U.S.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 09:12:36 PM »
Lilly, I find the same problem. To locate what I want, I end up having to "minus out" so many things, and still there's a load of junk to wade through!

It's an awful pity that Chinese sellers are being tainted with this perception of selling fakes or cheap rip-offs. The Chinese have such an extraordinary history, and an amazing language... and yet in general I will not buy from ... well... most Chinese sellers.

There's one exception. He has some rare opera DVDs that I can't find anywhere else, so he's definitely in my favourites list.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

llama

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 12:13:15 AM »
I wanted to buy a Victorian beaded bag , so I searched Vintage beaded bags, worldwide, 85% of the listings were for new vintage beaded bags from China

What you should have done is get somebody who lives in Melbourne to do a search by distance.

Victorian... Bag... Melbourne... oh, forget it   :chair:

debra9275

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 08:30:07 AM »
hehehe