Author Topic: I spoke too soon! My first PP dispute!  (Read 16160 times)

matildasplace

I spoke too soon! My first PP dispute!
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »
Woke up this morning to my first INR PP dispute, a buyer from Austria. Item was only posted on the 28th of April my first guess was that its just taking its time to get there but I called AP and they seem to think the address the buyer gave me is incomplete.

I don't have any proof of sending it as the value is just under $50. Will PP take in to account that the buyer has given me an incorrect address or will it all fall back on me because I have no proof of sending it at all?

Just wondering if I should issue the buyer with a refund straight away to save time and stuffing around or bother to make mention that the address seems to be incomplete?

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
Re: I spoke too soon! My first PP dispute!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:33:29 AM »
Hi Tilly,

If it was me, I would refund straight away, while contacting the buyer, requesting that if the goods do turn up, they will pay again.

At the same time, ask the buyer to confirm the correct delivery address, and if the original address was incorrect, try to open a dialogue, with a view to getting your buyer to take responsibility.

This should be done via, or noted in, the PP dispute process, so that you are not contravening the system..

Cheers
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

matildasplace

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 03:30:26 PM »
Thanks Barny  :)

I will go ahead and issue the refund, then sort it out with the buyer.

night-hawk-1

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:17:24 PM »
I don't have any proof of sending it as the value is just under $50. Will PP take in to account that the buyer has given me an incorrect address or will it all fall back on me because I have no proof of sending it at all?

as you didn't use an online tracking method of posting, you loose no matter how much buyer contributed to loss.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:28:17 PM »
Barny and night-hawk-1,

Please excuse my ignorance - and it is just that - because I've only ever shopped and never sold on Ebay before. Can you please advise why you would refund so quickly? Could it not simply be a postage delay? Isn't there a very real risk that you could lose both your item and your payment in this way?

These questions are not intended in any way as criticism of your advice provided.... I'm sure that you are both offering the best info here.....but I would genuinely like to know why you would take that option.

matildasplace

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 05:37:20 PM »
r3830, my guess is that the post is slow and they buyer will indeed receive it, thetas if they gave me the correct address. I actually just had a quick look on the calendar and it's only 10 working days today which isn't much time considering it was going to Austria.

On reflection I probably did refund a tad early but being my first PP dispute I did panic a bit lol

Hopefully it is another honest buyer and they will let me know if it arrives (that's happened to me before) and if not it will be covered by Australia Post as the value was under $50.

col52

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »
I would be asking the buyer to confirm the delivery address before doing anything else.

col52

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »
I hope (if the package does arrive) Tilly, that you do have an honest buyer. Unlike one I had last year who confirmed to me the package had arrived yet continued to claim through Paypal. They got the item and a full refund from Paypal!

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »
G'Day r3830,

I would refund immediately because it is what I would want if I had been the buyer... Good customer relations...

During my short period of selling my coin collection of over $30,000, I had two instances where I refunded straight away, and it paid dividends, because it showed the buyers, and other potential buyers that I was reliable seller..

Cheers
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 06:15:06 PM »
col52.... That was my immediate concern too.

barny, thankyou.

It must be awfully difficult at times to consider all people fundamentally honest.
....what I would want if I had been the buyer.. I wonder how many share that thought. Respect your ethic greatly!! May I suggest that you consider a change of avatar.... the reason being that the present one is SNAD.

Tilly, - here's to a happy outcome.

ernest_price

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »
Waaaaay too early to do anything except communicate with the buyer and let them know you are concerned also. Let them know that Auspost has guidelines for delivery 

Auspost airmail is only reliable delivery with 3-10 working days.

Interpreting, what that actually means is around 2/3 get there always within 10 days. That then leaves 1/3 that always get there slower. I'd always give 15 working days before doing anything international.

But that's me :) 

col52

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 07:18:10 PM »
It must be awfully difficult at times to consider all people fundamentally honest.

It is these days r3830 and ebay make the situation even worse!

Waaaaay too early to do anything except communicate with the buyer and let them know you are concerned also. Let them know that Auspost has guidelines for delivery 

Auspost airmail is only reliable delivery with 3-10 working days.

Interpreting, what that actually means is around 2/3 get there always within 10 days. That then leaves 1/3 that always get there slower. I'd always give 15 working days before doing anything international.

But that's me :) 

I'm the same with my buying and have found the majority of my overseas buyers to be the same.

matildasplace

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 08:26:02 PM »
Yeah, I know it was early for me to issue a refund but when I did it I didn't realise it was only about 10 days.

Barny, you make some very good points, bottom line is I want all of my customers to walk away as happy as possible so with a bit of luck they are happy with the refund, will still receive the wrap in a few days time and will let me know.

brumbymg

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
Tilly, I think that sometimes the greater financial pragmatism is more valuable than a single sale. I don't think you've done the wrong thing in the least...

If the buyer is honest (and just a little impatient) you will get re-paid AND you'll score a top-rate feedback, so long as they don't leave feedback before the item arrives. Even if they do, they could ask for feedback revision or leave a follow-up.

If the buyer was out to scam you in the first place, you were never going to win the waiting game - and by a quick refund, you have taken away their reason to neg you, unless they have bigger issues in their life other than theft.

The value of feedback for a professional seller is a real consideration. An occasional loss is limited to a single transaction whereas a stained reputation can affect many.

frangi

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 04:41:12 AM »
Just here soaking up all the good advice and variety of opinions  :)

Golden Silence

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 09:31:01 AM »
Hi Tilly, Just wondering if you've had a response from the buyer re the refund?

matildasplace

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 12:30:18 PM »
Spot on Brumby!

Just an update for everyone.

They buyer contacted me over night to say that the item arrive just after I issued the refund, they have now re paid me and also bought extra from the website!!!!

SO all in all it worked it just fine  :)

Thanks everyone for the time and advice you have given me  :rose:

Fluffy*Duckee

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 12:38:46 PM »
That's fantastic Tilly. 

Golden Silence

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 03:01:18 PM »
Great result. Congrats!  :t2:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 04:09:16 PM »
That's terrific - I have always thought your replies to customers and your way of communicating with them and sending items out to them was exemplary, Tilly, and here we see the result in action.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

col52

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 09:21:10 PM »
Spot on Brumby!

Just an update for everyone.

They buyer contacted me over night to say that the item arrive just after I issued the refund, they have now re paid me and also bought extra from the website!!!!

SO all in all it worked it just fine  :)

Thanks everyone for the time and advice you have given me  :rose:

That's great news!

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 09:45:29 PM »
Wonderful Tilly!  :banana:

:chocdip:

col52

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 10:06:58 PM »
Wonderful Tilly!  :banana:

:chocdip:

Tilly is wonderful, Bell?  :green:

brumbymg

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 02:59:28 AM »
Congratulations Tilly!  You've not only done brilliantly with this buyer, but scored a bonus sale there and then!!

I couldn't have scripted a happier outcome.

If your products are of interest to this buyer's friends and relatives, don't be surprised to see another customer or two from that area turn up at your checkout.  (I have seen it happen more than once.)

Again, well done!

LiisaSx

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 03:40:59 AM »
Excellent outcome indeed, Congratulations!!! :yess: