Author Topic: New Computer headache: Windows 7 64 bit .... and Turbolister 2  (Read 7717 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
In doing the build of a brand new whiz bang computer for my seller friend, there were a few challenges.

First was the selection of hardware that represented a degree of 'future proofing' but within budget constraints.  It is quite amazing what you can get these days at very reasonable prices. Quad core 64 bit CPU, 8GB RAM, 2TB of HDD, a not-too-shabby video card, power supply, etc. all wrapped up in a case for well under $1000.

Next is the operating system. Windows 7 was the obvious choice - and the geek in me had to make it a 64 bit version.  Tossing up between Professional and Ultimate, I went for the latter ... but with a reservation or two.

We then turn into the software stakes, where I had little trouble with any of the other software I loaded .... except for Turbolister.

After snooping around the various forums and boards, it was clear some people were running Turbolister under Windows 7 and some were having a variety of problems. 

The one thing that seemed to be rather apparent is that the distinction between people with 32 bit versions and those with 64 bit versions is NOT being made.  I strongly suspect that those who are running ok are using 32 bit versions.  There is also a lack of distinction between products: Home Premium / Professional / Ultimate - and that just adds to the confusion.

If anybody can add their experiences with Turbolister 2 under Windows 7, please post it here....

Poddy

Re: New Computer headache: Windows 7 64 bit .... and Turbolister 2
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 11:58:06 PM »
Brumbles, 64bit has advantages but that comes at a price..........like mega headaches. Grrrrrr

So far in my bid to upgrade I have had to buy a new laser printer and had 2 weeks in trying to get around the networking of XP and Win7. I have to run XP as well as Win7 because of software issues.

My old well loved software does not like the new surroundings.

I now have to have 2 of my systems doing what one used to do.

Progress???   ask me in 6 months

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 01:28:51 AM »
I'm staying
out of
this one.

"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 02:23:42 AM »
I sent an email to 'Turbolister Support' via an email address I picked up in the eBay USA forums.  It gave some direction as to what information to attach, so I gave them some pertinent details and the logs they asked for.

I got an automated reply, acknowledging receipt of my email .... and then this reply - less than four hours later......

RE: Problem with Turbolister on Windows 7 - 64 bit  

Dear eBay Member,

Thank you for writing to eBay in regard to the Turbo Lister program. My name is Travis and I will be happy to address this for you.

I've forwarded the information you sent to our tech team, and they're working to fix this. We've troubleshot this issue, and we're aware of the problem.

I apologize for any inconvenience. Thanks again for taking time to let us know about the problem.

Thank you for being a valuable member of the eBay community!

Sincerely,

Travis

eBay Turbo Lister Support

Since Windows 7 and 64 bit have been around for a while, with the problem apparently 'known' (one wonders how long they have known about it) - I am not getting a good feeling for an imminent solution being released.

Even then, there is the issue of 'new release' software - and if they are still trying to get TL to run under 64 bit ... then the software obviously has NO 'in service' time.

I just cringe at what may be lurking .............

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:27:42 PM »
So is virtualization the answer?

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 04:49:47 PM »
Doesn't look like it.

I made sure this new machine had a CPU capable of hardware virtualisation. After enabling it in BIOS, I set up XPmode and virtual PC.  I installed inside that and still no good.  (It is fun to watch it 're-boot' though.)

For all the glamour MS painted XP mode, there are still some fundamental problems - like hardware control.  Its an emulation - it can't be anything else - so it will (and does) have its own problems.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:41:49 AM »

So far in my bid to upgrade I have had to buy a new laser printer ....

Small win.  My laser printer is working from the 64 bit machine - and I've set it up to run directly off the network.  Full marks to Kyocera for making this rather painless to achieve.

No word on Turboblister ...

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 12:00:45 AM »
Interesting.

I found a post on the US Answer Centre where the OP raised the same problem that I was having.  The 'Answer' basically said that there were Windows Updates that had some components that were required for Turboblister to run.

Now, I had done all the 'important' updates - but I tend to be selective about the 'optional' updates, as I don't necessarily agree that I need the things Microsoft wants me to have.  (I let a Windows Update video driver through once - BIG mistake. Caused me untold hassles until I purged the system of it.)

However, since this was a new machine with new software build and no data, the risk was minimal - so I bit the bullet and did all the optional updates as well (since no-one had said WHICH update or updates were necessary for TL).

Now, once all those updates were done, I went through the Windows Update cycle AGAIN - just in case there were cascading updates..... which, of course, there were.  It took four cycles to come up clean.

AND.....

GUESS WHAT...?

Turbolister is actually running now.

I've had a bit of a play and everything seems to be behaving - but then it's not in the production environment yet.....

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »
I'm glad to hear it. I would have replied earlier, but what comfort would it have been for you to hear me say, "I'm sorry - I don't have Windows 7, it's not 64 bit, and I don't use Turbolister of any sort, so I am unable to give you any advice. But please enjoy this complementary plastic frog"...?

Hmm. Perhaps the frog would have made up for it all...

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 02:26:54 PM »
Maybe it was just as well .....

If caught at the wrong moment, the frog may have made me hopping mad.

:D

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 01:14:44 PM »
:rofl:
:duckling: