Author Topic: Internet Detective challenges... and other games  (Read 4043 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Internet Detective challenges... and other games
« on: April 12, 2011, 01:25:42 AM »
Occasionally, I am intrigued with the challenge of trying to locate a seller through means other than 'request member's contact details'.

Sometimes it's simply a matter of picking up on a trading name or other not-so-hidden details that make the connection -

.. but then, there are some really testing ones....

Have you ever been curious?

Have you ever tried?

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Internet Detective challenges... and other games
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:26:50 AM »
Here's one of mine.....

I was looking for a caravan and found one close by that was an unfinished 'restoration project'.  The location was given simply as 'Parramatta'.  Photos showed some details of neighbouring features, including the roof of some medium density housing across the road - and of the neighbour's roof.

Throwing a couple of phrases into Google brought me to a blog by a couple visiting family here in Australia that mentioned (1) the restoration project, (2) the exact year and model of the caravan (3) their daughter's name (the one inspired to initate the project) - which happened to match one of the names in the seller ID and (4) dates that were consistent with the statements made in the eBay listing.

There was too much overlap for this to be coincidence ... it had to be the same family.

Further reading of the blog gave hints on how far away certain facilities were - such as shops, restaurants, supermarkets and parks.

Alas, I had other priorities which prevented me from locating the property before the item ended ... but if I ever cast my eye over the right spot some time in the future, I'm going to recognise it!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Internet Detective challenges... and other games
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:45:47 AM »
Here's another ... for which I claim a success!

EBay listing:

Google Earth (after tracking down)

Nearmap.com

Big brother is watching ... and any of us can look over his shoulder these days.