The Oz Round Table boards > The Round Table

PROBLEMS WITH E-PURCHASES and their RESOLUTIONS

<< < (6/7) > >>

*smee*:
you possibly have more problems Countess because its likely that you have more transactions than the average person and also a high percentage of those transactions are from overseas and also faiely unusual items ...so in terms of percentage of issues to purchases you may not be doing as bad as it seems ...but of course im only making assumptions so disregard all I have said and wait for a decent response

Liisa-Sx:
Sorry to hear of your E Purchases going awry Tess, I too have had a few lately go pear shaped, mainly with sellers not describing products correctly and sending inferior items.

One was a dress stated as a particular brand, it arrived I was so pleased.. and yet when I took it out of the satchel it was clearly a fake, it was so sheer I could see my hand through it rendering it unwearable (should not have been sheer at all) and it had a small 1/2 cm hole in the side seam where the stitching had come undone, it was a battle to get a refund, I returned the dress and finally got my refund...whew.

The second, again a dress which was not posted at all for 12 days, no response from the seller then it took a further 5-6 to arrive, ahh well, it's here now I thought unwrapping it...POOOHHHH it stunk!! Cigarette smoke and overwhelming mouldy Op shop smell...Horrible, it was also covered in pulled threads and the elastic had perished....currently seeking a refund, of course no reply, that's it for me for a while with clothes online, especially dresses. This will be the second lot of return postage I will have had to pay to see nothing as a result, I should have just mailed $6 to each of the sellers instead of buying.. less stress, same result.

*smee*:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbgvEK13QtU

*CountessA*:
Another problem!

A Russian book which I purchased last year (November) from a seller in the UK but which I only started reading 2 weeks ago turns out to have a major problem. (You can tell I am a slow reader in Russian.)

Pages 64 to 96 are printed upside down.

I contacted the seller to let them know, and asked for a replacement to be sent; I said I'd be happy to return the faulty book.

Their response took me by surprise: the customer care lady - let's call her Murgatroyd to protect her identity - replied that they're so sorry about this, but they "honour all orders within a 3 month timeframe". She finished with an apology for the inconvenience.

I was not happy with this at all! They just wash their hands of any problem if it's more than three months ago????

I've just sent the following reply.

--- Quote ---Dear [Murgatroyd],

Thank you for your reply.

I must say I'm surprised by what you have said. I've never heard of any shop refusing to remedy a problem where the goods have a manufacturing fault unless a complaint is made within 3 months.

Clearly this is not a fault I could have created, unless you assume I've ripped out the pages and reinserted them upside down.

I had expected a responsible and good seller to accept responsibility and issue a replacement or refund, and return the faulty item to the publisher. Most publishers don't require the entire book returned to them, but merely the front cover as proof that the book has been destroyed, and will issue the bookshop with a credit note or refund.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, "Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality", and "For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—

(a)fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,

(b)appearance and finish,

(c)freedom from minor defects,

(d)safety, and

(e)durability."

Nowhere is it stated that the merchant can arbitrarily designate a period beyond which he/she will no longer be responsible for the goods not being fit for the purpose for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied, and not being free from minor defects, appearance and finish.

I am not satisfied that your response is in accordance with the Act.

Regards,
[My name]
--- End quote ---

If I receive a refund or replacement, I will not take any further action. If they continue on the path of "It's not our problem", I will take it up with the appropriate authorities.

Never - never - never should a seller stomp all over the rights of consumers.  :indupitably: :mum: :judge: :doa: :gaol: :nhj: :roughend: :stopit:

*FluffyDuckee*:
The seller probably thought you should appreciate the upside down pages Tessa, because you are down under.    She probably thinks it's an effort for you to read the pages the right way....

On a serious note, how annoying.  It's hard when the seller is so far away.  You can't march into the shop and insist they do something and they know that.

That's why I am happy buying most things from US Amazon.  I have had a few issues and always been looked after.  Sometimes it involves a full refund and I get to keep the goods.  In one case I was fully refunded the cost of a 1/2 carat diamond heart shaped necklace, set in 14 carat gold necklace, because a diamond was missing - it was one of those heart shaped things with about 50 1 point diamonds)   A couple of weeks ago I bought a $5 usb laptop vacuum cleaner from a non Amazon seller, that listed on the Amazon site, (OK, stop laughing) and it was DOA.  Contacted Amazon, who gave me a $10 discount voucher and the seller resent the item.  Haven't got it yet, it still at my US address, (This one better work lol) but it's nice having the company actually stand behind the products listed on their site and having the power to keep sellers honest.  I have many instances of this.  On another occasion, a seller messed up big time on something I ordered - I order 4 and they sent 1.  Amazon stepped in and refunded my money AND the seller sent 4 replacements.

Good on you Amazon for looking after your international buyers.  Ebay, you should take a leaf out of Amazon's book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version