Author Topic: Can someone explain something to me?  (Read 18094 times)

i-need-a-martini

Can someone explain something to me?
« on: May 08, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
You have to explain it really slowly though cause I am a total bimbo when it comes to all things technology related...

I don't get how multiple IDs work and how they don't get caught out.

I've seen people suspended, yet they create another ID and continue to post. But if that ID gets reported or suspended then shouldn't ALL the IDs get suspended? Same with shillers - I watch this one guy who has been shilling for years. Sometimes ebay act on my reports but more often thhan not I get the standard "can't see any evidence..." response.

OK I am going out now but will be back to see how confused you've made me.

night-hawk-1

Re: Can someone explain something to me?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 01:52:12 PM »
Martini the short response is that when one ID is out all are out.

The reality is that eBay do nothing to detect such things, so you can go along and create IDs to continue posting with out a problem until someone that has it in for you recognises your posting style and reports you to trust & safety, it requires the suspended ID and the new ID and then if they feel like checking and can find a link via IP addresses they both Ids are then NARPed this can go on until they get sick of it and then NARU you.

Then you just continue by creating yet another ID and a smart person would then stay away from the boards so as not to be reported and so life continues for the shocks regardless.

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 01:55:30 PM »
Hi Martini,

As to multiple IDs....

When anybody wants to sign up to ebay, all they need to do is have a unique user name each time, together with a dodgey e-mail address (created in G-Mail, for instance) The other details can be utter rubbish.

It only takes minutes to do one...

When an ID is NARPed or NARUed, it really is up to the honesty of the user to obey the rules and not use any other ID.... Because ebay can't tell who owns the IDs, coz they are managed by bots in ebay.
and computer bots don't have intelligence, they just follow the progam's directions

So, dishonesty means a user can have as many IDs as they want and can post with impunity.

Cheers

If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 01:57:03 PM »
Sniped by Hawkie,

In better language too..

Cheers

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »
At the moment anyone can create an eBay user ID so long as they use a unique email address. eBay should have some type of verification process in place to at least confirm users (especially sellers) name and contact details. Users should be permitted to have a buying, selling and posting ID provided they are all linked to the one user.

There are enough problems caused by 'hit and run' posters with new IDs, but it is even worse when they are used by sellers. With the system the way it is they can use fictitious details to set up an account, list a heap of non-existent items, get lots of bids and then take the money and run. This happens all the time especially in the lead up to Christmas. Last year there were many buyers caught out after purchasing DVDs and console games from now NARUed sellers.

It is impossible to go to Fair Trading or the Police and make a claim against an eBay seller unless you have their correct current name and contacts. You won't get far trying to lodge a deception complaint with the Police against 'pretty*pink*poppet'.

(apologies if there really is a pretty*pink*poppet ID)  :)

i-need-a-martini

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 04:56:07 PM »
Thank you all.

At the moment anyone can create an eBay user ID so long as they use a unique email address.

But wouldn't ebay be able to detect the connection between the two users through their ISP? A unique email adress won't hide this. Or is this just too much trouble for them?

This shill bidder I watch has at least 10 addresses. He uses them cleverly but its not hard to see. Plus I have bought 3 things from him (as 3 different sellers) but pick-up was all through same guy. His emails addresses might all be the same but unless he has access to 10+ different computers, his ISPs must be the same too?

Golden Silence

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 05:01:41 PM »
Hi Martini,

Only if he has a static IP, that is, one that doesn't change. Also if someone uses a proxy it will be different and I don't think eBay would go into in-depth investigation.

night-hawk-1

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 05:02:38 PM »
His emails addresses might all be the same but unless he has access to 10+ different computers, his ISPs must be the same too?

If he is on dialup he would be allocated a new IP address ever time he logs in, also many ADSL providers only provide dynamic IPs so a forced reconnect will also chage it.

Then you can get into all the dodgy stuff that uses proxies.

and again eBay doesnt go looking, they will only look as the result of a report if they feel like it.

i-need-a-martini

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 05:17:35 PM »
Ahh...its all becoming clear now. Sort of.

I always thought your ISP was the same unless you changed companies.

So there is absolutely no point in reporting this guy then? The annoying thing is that his shilling is so obvious - uses the same room to take a photo in; if item doesn't sell (and sometimes when it does!) it appears next day with another seller; feedback given within minutes of item selling; he buys things with one ID, then lists it via another ID with the original buyer making the odd bid or two...

Annoying.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »
Martini, there is a difference between IP and ISP

An ISP - Internet Service Provider - is the telecommunications company that provides your internet connection, eg Telstra, Optus, Netspace

Your IP address - Internet Protocol address - is a number that identifies your computer connection on a network

If you want to see your ISP and IP goto http://www.spyber.com/
(I just looked mine up and it found me within about 20 kms)

Poddy

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 05:55:56 PM »
OMG !!!! it found me as well,

To within 2,200 Km too, do you think I should wear camoflage?  :devil:

i-need-a-martini

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 06:06:58 PM »
And here I was thinking I actually understood...

Found me straight away too but tells me my address is in Kings Cross. Thats about 15km from where I am. How can that be? Is that just where the 'network' node is located?

And if I have multiple IDs then would it have the same amount of multiple IPs?

LiisaSx

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 06:41:56 PM »
Thats right martini it only gives the location of the IP "node" if you will, not your residential location, regardless of the amount of ID's you have it is your ISP (internet service provider) that shows up.

There is a difference between an IP and an ISP, the former is called an IP or Internet Protocol address or in laymans Terms, your Computer address connected to your Internet connection, the latter ISP is your Internet Service Provider, just so there is no confusion.

So a person MIGHT be able to get a general idea of your geographic location, based on your IP address, by doing a lookup on the WHOIS database, but that will only tell them the physical location of your ISP -- not YOUR home address.

And if you use a large regional or nationwide ISP, the IP lookup probably reveals nothing of interest. For example, if you are an AOL subscriber, your IP address lookup will show the location as Dulles, Virginia -- regardless of where you live.

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 06:45:31 PM »
Hi Guys,

My IP changes quite often ( a few times a week ) and I never turn the modem off ( broadband hook up ).
So why does it change ???

And when I use the link ^^ up there, it gets within 200 km. only..

Cheers

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 06:58:11 PM »
I am at least 30 ks away from where that says I am... ;D
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Poddy

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 07:14:49 PM »
Any advance on 2,200 Km

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 07:25:40 PM »
Barny,

I think everyone's IP address changes regularly except for businesses which need a static address to run their own mail and web servers.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
And, IF the federal governments grand broadband plan goes ahead, Tasmania will have the souped up, very fast broadband before the rest of us.

LiisaSx

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 07:51:35 PM »
A static IP address is one that remains fixed and never changes. The PC always sees the same address regardless if the session between the PC and ISP is broken or not. A Dynamic IP Address is one that changes over time or in the case of a Dial-up connection, when the user disconnects and reconnects to his/her ISP.

Static IP addresses
Static IP addresses are manually assigned to a computer by an administrator or your ISP. The exact procedure varies according to platform and the company that provides your Internet connection to you. Usually, if you have a business connection for your corporation or you are connecting a server for your office, you would be allocated one or more static IP addresses for your business.
These IP addresses are programmed on your routers and other network equipment supplied by your ISP or purchased by you.

Dynamic IP address
This contrasts with dynamic IP addresses, which is assigned either randomly, or arbitrarily assigned by a server using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). Even though IP addresses assigned using DHCP may stay the same for long periods of time, they can generally change. In some cases, a network administrator may implement dynamically assigned static IP addresses. In this case, a DHCP server is used, but it is specifically configured to always assign the same IP address to a particular computer, and never to assign that IP address to another computer. This allows static IP addresses to be configured in one place, without having to specifically configure each computer on the network in a different way.

Also for some IP's depending on the ISP lease, eventually will change but not for a certain time period, could be days, week, months etc..even up to a year.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 08:50:08 PM »
Bigponds - change daily - I believe at midnight
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

col52

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »
Martini, there is a difference between IP and ISP

An ISP - Internet Service Provider - is the telecommunications company that provides your internet connection, eg Telstra, Optus, Netspace

Your IP address - Internet Protocol address - is a number that identifies your computer connection on a network

If you want to see your ISP and IP goto http://www.spyber.com/
(I just looked mine up and it found me within about 20 kms)

I'm apparently in Sydney

night-hawk-1

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 07:08:25 PM »
Thats right martini it only gives the location of the IP "node" if you will, not your residential location, regardless of the amount of ID's you have it is your ISP (internet service provider) that shows up.

When I was with Virgin wireless it had me listed as being in QLD, but I am in Adelaide. Paypal picked this up and I had to provide them with proof of ID.

It only identifies the last public location that is accociated with your service and nothing that can trace or idenify you personally to anyone else.

The ISP does record and keep records of every ones IP address and even records the phone numbers for dialup customers including silent numbers, they are required to know and provide this for law enforcement or by court order.

brumbymg

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 08:47:52 PM »
2,200 km... Poddy?

Do you connect through a satellite link????

Mine comes up within 10km.

night-hawk-1

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 09:09:02 PM »
2,200 km... Poddy?

mine is wireless, I cant get ADSL here in this third world county.

I was with Virgin for some time and that showed my thousands of KMs from here.

I dumped that as it sucked and I am with a small back yard local mob, mind you they are growing very quickly as they give real customer service.

brumbymg

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 09:33:49 PM »

mind you they are growing very quickly as they give real customer service.

Real customer service will do that!!!

Good on 'em!

night-hawk-1

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 09:51:01 PM »
and not only that it even works, anyone from IT will tell you these pings to IInet DNS server are fantastic

Network Ping
Select destination IP: input manually192.168.1.143192.168.1.171   Packet count: 
or specify manually:   Packet size: 
Host Time TTL
203.0.178.191 5.38 ms 59
203.0.178.191 5.02 ms 59
203.0.178.191 4.98 ms 59
203.0.178.191 4.91 ms 59
203.0.178.191 7.9 ms 59
5 of 5 packets received, 0% loss 
Min: 4.91 ms Avg: 5.64 ms Max: 7.9 ms

brumbymg

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 10:51:31 PM »
For the record, I'm on Optus cable and located in the middle of the Greater Sydney metropolitan area. I just pinged that IP addy and got 10,11,15 & 10 ms - which isn't bad from my (limited) experience - and you're under half that.

Do you notice the evening 'rush hour' traffic?

imperfect

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
2,200 km... Poddy?

mine is wireless, I cant get ADSL here in this third world county.

I was with Virgin for some time and that showed my thousands of KMs from here.

I dumped that as it sucked and I am with a small back yard local mob, mind you they are growing very quickly as they give real customer service.

LOL!!

Poddy

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »
2,200 km... Poddy?

Nope,

I just guess everyone wants to steer clear of me :(

But I dont mind I am a bit of a recluse in any case :)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 07:16:06 PM »
I'm easy to find - I don't mask myself (except for Venetian balls or masquerades, of course)...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

col52

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 07:35:51 PM »
Venetian balls

The ones associated with me are just plain old Anglo Saxon  :devil: