Author Topic: What are the things you do before purchasing on eBay or other online auction?  (Read 13530 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Be honest - do you always check feedback before buying?

Do you always check how much of the seller's feedback is from selling?

Do you always check for how long the seller has been selling on eBay? for how long the seller has been a member of eBay? (Substitute Oztion or Trading Post or online auction venue of your choice for "eBay", as appropriate.) Do you check whether there's been a break of activity and then a sudden flurry of activity recently?

1. I always do check feedback before buying. I check negatives given and received; I check replies to negative feedback given; I check whether the positive feedback is for being a buyer rather than a seller. I want to know whether the seller would throw a berserk fit if something goes wrong.

2. I do check the seller's history; I want to know whether the account might be hijacked or whether the items being sold might not be in as good condition as the photo or description indicates. I like to know whether I can expect to wait for an item. (I don't mind waiting if I know in advance that's what I'll be doing.) I will buy from new sellers, but only if I decide the risk is worth it (and usually only if the ID does NOT look like a new ID for an existing member trying to escape from another ID with bad feedback).

3. I will never buy without knowing the postage cost.

4. I will often ask a question of the seller if I feel it's necessary, to gauge how quickly the seller replies to messages. The question itself is almost always something I genuinely want to know, though. A non-answer means a non-sale.

What are some of your pre-purchase requirements or procedures?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

exislegirl

1. I always do check feedback before buying. I check negatives given and received; I check replies to negative feedback given; I check whether the positive feedback is for being a buyer rather than a seller. I want to know whether the seller would throw a berserk fit if something goes wrong.

2. I do check the seller's history; I want to know whether the account might be hijacked or whether the items being sold might not be in as good condition as the photo or description indicates. I like to know whether I can expect to wait for an item. (I don't mind waiting if I know in advance that's what I'll be doing.) I will buy from new sellers, but only if I decide the risk is worth it (and usually only if the ID does NOT look like a new ID for an existing member trying to escape from another ID with bad feedback).

3. I will never buy without knowing the postage cost. *

4. I will often ask a question of the seller if I feel it's necessary, to gauge how quickly the seller replies to messages. The question itself is almost always something I genuinely want to know, though. A non-answer means a non-sale.

What are some of your pre-purchase requirements or procedures?

Agree with all you have mentioned, but will also add:

3.* (Unless I have dealt with the seller before, and trust them to do the right thing.)

I buy mostly from overseas, and once I have found a good seller, I often become a repeat buyer.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
If I am looking for new items I always check prices through shopbot and other price comparison sites as well as my regular online stores. Sometimes the prices on eBay get overinflated by auction-fever.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
I do all my "homework" prior to bidding/buying online on eBay or from non eBay online businesses.

Communication prior to purchase is essential if there is any doubt re the item description,  postage or how the item will be packaged. It certainly helps avoid the pitfall of buying sight unseen items.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

patcher

I also do everything you do Countess. I'm told by my son that I am to harsh on the sellers in regards fb %.

I'm a repeat buyer if the seller is good and I will recommend sellers to family and friends,

These days I prefer to BIN and will check other online sellers as well.

debra9275

I always check the sellers feedback as it gives me an indication of whether other buyers were happy with their items, whether the postage is over charged or not, and how quickly I may get my item after it's been paid for.

These are all things that I like to have some idea about before I commit myself to buying.

Golden Silence

Yes, I do all of the above also. Even then, my hand hovers over the bid or bin button before I bite the bullet and click lol.

imperfect

I mostly do, especially if the seller look newish, I have gotten to know most the IDs that sell in my line of interest but if a newbie pops up I do check them out..

I also check out the histories on the people bidding on my stuff..:)

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
Usually do the check feedback thing- unless they are 100%ers, then I sometimes don't bother. As I am pretty aware of postage costs, I check how much they charge there. Check what the items have sold for before, sometimes I check the previous buyers ! Try to manually bid just before the item ends, if I am home. If at work, I will put my bid on in the morning and hope!

Don't buy as often as I used to though.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
I've noticed that since the changes to the feedback system, this is quickly becoming an unreliable factor in deciding on a purchase. Gone is the threat to an unscrupulous buyer of receiving negative feedback - and yet, this person can attach a negative to a reputable seller. I doubt that there will be many 100%'ers left in the near future. The only confident purchase now seems to be with those sellers to whom I return on further occasions. Just another situation that further confuses or hinders a purchase.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Hello, r3830!

I find myself nodding in agreement - the changes in the feedback system have not really helped buyers in deciding whom to trust. I end up doing a LOT more work before deciding to buy, because if the seller has received a negative or neutral, I chase it up by checking the buyers' feedback (received and bestowed upon others). It's now harder to tell whether a buyer has been fair or not, and sometimes I have to read between the lines from feedback NOT given! (At least for buyers who have purchased before the feedback changes, we can still check through toolhaus.org and check through goofbay as well.)

I am also extremely careful now in separating buyer feedback from seller feedback. Some sellers' feedback (glowing 100%) might look to a casual eye as though it requires no checking, but it may turn out that most of that glowing 100% comes from SELLERS - the seller has relied on feedback as a buyer to bulk up his feedback in total.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Good Morning Countess!!! Wonderful to see you here!

Firstly - and probably in the wrong place.... but what a wonderful site, with real moderators! Brings to mind memories of what the original RT was like - and equally, how helpful it was for many. Most certainly a credit for all concerned here.

On topic - I find that these days I rely on the protection of a credit card for my purchases. I learned of the value of this nearly a year ago, where the 'perceived' protection didn't stand up to the test. For purchases from those people that I have dealt with in the past, direct deposit is my preference, as it value adds their sales with fewer fees. It wouold be nice if an extra miscellaneous field could be added to the invoicing which would allow for an (buyer optional) extra payment that would offset the sellers' cost to provide paypal payments - particularly where overseas purchases are concerned. I believe that such a thing would provide at least some additional support towards a seller.

debra9275

hi there r3830,

good to see you!!

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Wonderful to see you too lilly (now that's going to take some getting used to) and seriously, thankyou!!! :wine:

debra9275

My Pleasure!!!

brumbymg

1. Feedback check - for a seller new to me: ABSOLUTELY (but I still double check for subsequent purchases).  I especially look for the the same answer as you: "I want to know whether the seller would throw a berserk fit if something goes wrong." If I get a problem, will I regret my purchase or will I be helped to resolve the situation?

2. Seller's history; I am, perhaps, a little less focused on this, unless something doesn't 'feel' right

3. Postage cost. Absolutely check.

4. Asking questions. I will do this if there is a genuine question or if the listing doesn't present as being genuine in some way.

I, too, am in agreeance with feedback having become unreliable. As I see it, sellers' inability to leave neut/neg has resulted in three basic problems-
A. Incorrect feedback. There are valid situations where a buyer does NOT deserve positive feedback
B. Blackmail
C. Bad sellers are now protected from themselves leaving a 'retaliatory' neg.  Of the times I've done in-depth feedback research, I've come across a few of these - and in every case I've encountered, the buyer is clearly vindicated by other feedback they've received and the seller condemned by their repeated use of the neg.  Those sellers borrow ubbrds 50 calibre (set on full auto), take square aim at their own feet and just hold the trigger down.  :snipe: But that was before ... NOW those sellers are prevented from showing their true colours which makes feedback research that much more difficult and INCREASES THE RISKS TO BUYERS.

Not what I would call a positive step in 'Improving the buyer experience'.