Author Topic: ebay and the latest ...............................................MEDIA REPORTS  (Read 1193635 times)

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
http://www.indystar.com/usatoday/article/1694671?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s

eBay CEO: Our big bet on mobile is paying off

After making a big bet on mobile several years ago, eBay CEO John Donahoe told CNBC's "Squawk on the Street" that the gamble is paying off with the company able to monetize the same on mobile as it does on the Web.

"Consumers are making the mobile device the central navigation system of their lives," the eBay executive said. "While it's driving great mobile results for us, the coming year will be when the mobile device links the digital world to the physical world."

Donahoe pointed to a new Black Friday mobile app it has developed with Macy's that will allow consumers to find deals in their Macy's store ahead of time. That will then get consumers to come into the actual stores to shop.

As this distinction between offline and online blurs, Donahoe expects an explosion of innovation around how that can help retailers.

..... read more
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Shyer, it's a good reminder to people to be fair in their dealings... As far as I'm aware, people claiming benefits can earn a little extra, but if it goes over the stipulated amount, they ought to be declaring it.

But from what I've been hearing, more and more people are finding it hard to sell on eBay - some declaring that the last two months have been particularly poor and wondering how on earth they are going to manage.

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Deborah Sharkey gone from Ausse eBay   

22 March 2013 | 09:27AM EST

eBay Vice President and leader of eBay's Korea businesses, Jooman Park, will lead eBay Australia & New Zealand from July following a decision by current leader Vice President Deborah Sharkey to move to eBay's global headquarters in San Jose, USA.

Regards,

The eBay team

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

eBay has just launched eBay Garage, a new community that makes it easier than ever to
find what you need for your car.

Shopping for spare parts is simple with eBay Garage. Just add your vehicle and with one
click you can filter all of the listings on eBay to show only the parts that fit your car,
truck, or ute.

You'll also be able to join conversations with other eBay members who
share your interests in our worldwide eBay Garage community.

Whatever you're looking for, find it at a glance with eBay Garage

http://www.ebay.com.au/motors/garage

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
eBay May Count Late Deliveries as Item-Not-as-Described Defects

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y14/m07/i28/s02

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Louisiana Man Sues eBay over Security Breach

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y14/m07/i25/s01

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
And so they should too in some instances at least

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
PayPal Launches Loyalty Program for Top Customers

PayPal launched a new program called PayPal Select for its top customers. It provides members of the program with two benefits to start: "first-in-line customer service," and special coupons for retailers with whom PayPal has a special relationship. These include Target, Wayfair, Overstock, PacSun.com, Footlocker, and FinishLine.com.

One current offer, for example, is $10 off a $50 purchase at Target when you pay with PayPal.

PayPal said members receive special access to customer service: "Each time you call, you'll jump to the front of the line for faster service."

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl

I find this repugnant. (Presumably this is within the US only at this point, but it highlights that ordinary customer service is now being touted as something special for people who use PayPal as a payment method where ordinarily they'd use credit card (with its associated protections) or cash.)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
eBay-PayPal Split Not Designed for Sale to Alibaba

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y14/m09/i30/s06

Yes ... it seems John Donahoe will be leaving the top spot after the split - but he will be on both Boards.  However, there is a sense that this may be a temporary situation designed to gently ease him out rather than simply dump him by the roadside.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
It's the equivalent of executive vaseline, hmm?

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
I have noticed that once someone gets to a certain level in an organisation and the management don't want them around any more, they get a "sideways promotion" which vacates the position of interest and allows them the opportunity to leave "on their own terms" ... which tends to be just long enough for them to find another job.  I reckon around 3 months, give or take.

pra666

• Knight of the RT
    • The Sand Pit
Whatever happened to bnwt?

Just suddenly disappeared.........

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Phil will get an erection from reading that

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Yes, I miss our sensible and nice bnwt.

:missing: :crygirl:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re Brumby's post about the PayPal settlement... it's well worth quoting here.

Paypal is paying $25 million to settle allegations it illegally enrolled customers in its credit payment plans.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau leveled a host of charges in a consent order Tuesday, also alleging PayPal automatically set the credit option as customers’ default payment preference, that it deceptively advertised credit promotions and mishandled billing disputes.

A total of $15 million will be set aside to reimburse consumers. The other $10 million will go to the agency. The company will also have to make sure future customers know they are signing up for the credit program.

“PayPal illegally signed up consumers for its online credit product without their permission and failed to address disputes when they complained,” CFPB Director Richard Cordray said in a statement. “Online shopping has become a way of life for many Americans and it’s important that they are treated fairly.”

The order applies to customers from 2011 all the way up to the beginning of May 2015.

The California-based company offers people an easy way to make secure purchases online. The company was acquired by eBay in 2002, but last year, the companies announced plans to part.

In 2008, Paypal acquired a company called Bill Me Later — a service that has since been renamed Paypal Credit. The program operates much like a credit card, allowing people to make purchases and pay the balance down later, subject to interest rates.

But the agency alleges the company deceptively enrolled customers in the credit program who were only attempting to sign up for a standard Paypal account, among other allegations.

“The Bureau brings this suit to secure relief for injured consumers, to stop Defendants’ unlawful conduct, and to obtain a penalty against them,” the agency wrote in a complaint.

The settlement was submitted in a U.S. court in Maryland and will need to be approved by a judge before taking effect. The agency noted that the order “is not a finding or ruling that the company has actually violated the law.”

A spokesperson for the company did not specifically address the allegations in a statement.

“PayPal Credit takes consumer protection very seriously,” according to the company. “We continually improve our products and enhance our communications to ensure a superior customer experience. Our focus is on ease of use, clarity and providing high-quality products that are useful to consumers and are in compliance with applicable laws. ”

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - the agency which brought the charges on behalf of consumers - appears to be something similar to Australia's Financial Ombudsman.

It's pivotal to note that the CFPB found that "PayPal illegally signed up consumers for its online credit product without their permission and failed to address disputes when they complained".

I point this out specifically because too many eBay and PayPal users in Australia have been saying that PayPal and/or eBay wouldn't be implementing anything illegal because they'd have the very best lawyers who would be checking everything with a fine tooth comb. It's being said by those same persons in effect that... if PayPal and/or eBay are behaving in a particular way, ipso facto it must be legal for them to behave in that way.

This is grossly misleading. For such a response to be served up to distraught or bewildered consumers (who ask something along the lines of "Is this legal?" when eBay and/or PayPal do something that strikes those consumers as illegal and infringing on their consumer rights) is SO offensive and so eroding of those rights that it makes one want to smack the responder with a fagot of elderberry wood. (Fagot as in a bundle of sticks; I'm using the older spelling form out of preference.)

The point is well made that eBay and/or PayPal may be putting into practice behaviour which is NOT legal, and which - when challenged by a consumer (by bringing it to the attention of the appropriate body) - will have PayPal/eBay backing down.

(PayPal and/or eBay have in such instances reversed their wrong decisions - but not by admitting guilt. No, rather the wording used is that the reversal is a "discretionary payment" or decision. This is because neither of these companies wish to give the consumer the impression that they have behaved illegally, and because neither of these companies wants the proffered remedy to be spurned by the consumer so that the investigation by the FOS ( :clickme: would be pursued to create a finding or charge in law. If the consumer accepts the proffered solution (aka "discretionary payment"), the company dodges the bullet. All they've lost is a one-off forced refund. What they GAIN is the landscape of unaware consumers who can be misled and infringed upon when eBay or PayPal makes a decision which is actually against those persons' consumer rights.

It is deliberate disarmament forced upon individuals over whom PayPal and/or eBay have the power of a far more powerful entity... Consumers are inherently in a position of powerlessness against such corporations, and when a user agreement is forced upon them which implicitly or explicitly removes the individual's lawful consumer rights, it far far far too often doesn't occur to those persons that such an agreement is not lawful and will not be upheld IF IT IS CHALLENGED - IF a complaint is made to the appropriate body.

It is of no earthly use for a person to palely loiter with all the gumption of a dying swan, saying feebly, "Oh, if it's illegal, the law will stop them..." but the point is very clear that unless a person MAKES A COMPLAINT when something of this nature occurs to them, nothing will be done. The appropriate body is the weapon - but it will only and can only be wielded against the offending corporation if a complaint is made and the complaint is followed through until sufficient charges are made to have the offending corporation/s dealt with on a higher level than an individual case.

(I am thinking specifically of the 21-day hold imposed upon sellers. The hold is enforced by PayPal although instructed by eBay. Too many sellers - although angry or upset by this - are afraid to (or unaware they can) bring PayPal to brook for this behaviour by going straight to the FOS and making a complaint.     It's by no means the only instance of behaviour which is certainly against Australian consumer rights, but it is the most obvious and most recent example.)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
:link:

PayPal says sorry to customers mistakenly double-billed

Banks and financial institutions are warning customers to carefully check any transactions made with PayPal after thousands of people were mistakenly double billed by the online payment system.

All banks and financial services that accept payments through PayPal have been affected.

PayPal said it was aware of the error, which occurred when customers only completed one transaction through their PayPal account.

It is telling customers they will have to wait between 24 and 72 hours before receiving a refund on any transactions that were double-billed.

“We understand that impacted customers are concerned and will ensure all customers affected are reimbursed. We apologise to those that have been impacted and are actively working with our tech team to resolve this as quickly as possible,” a PayPal spokesman said.

The error led to PayPal’s Facebook page being inundated with complaints, as hundreds of irate customers said they were unable to get through to the service’s helpline to rectify the fault.

The double-billing has also left some customers unable to pay bills for other services.

“We are aware that some PayPal debits have duplicated,” the Commonwealth Bank said in an alert to its customers.

“This is due to an error from PayPal and we’re working with them to rectify this as a priority. We apologise to our customers for this inconvenience.”

The error comes at a troubling time for PayPal which has just agreed to pay $US25 million in fines and compensation in the US after being accused of deceiving its customers.

The Consumer Finance Protection Bureau denounced the company for signing people up for its credit arm, PayPal Credit (previously Bill Me Later), without making them aware of the fact.

Of the total $US25m penalty, $US15 million will be used to reimburse PayPal customers, with the other $US10 million issued as a fine.

pra666

• Knight of the RT
    • The Sand Pit

callostemma

• Knight of the RT
So dont expect your money back from Paypal

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Is Former eBay CEO John Donahoe Looking for a Job?

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m12/i01/s01

Do we send him to Montello?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
I see that story is 2 days old on auctionbytes and Cohen is yet to spew forth any of his repetative garbage , has he worn out his welcome there too?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Mr Donahue is looking for a job?

Perhaps he could try being a pooper-scooper. There must be many dogs who would be glad to give him the necessary accoutrements...

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Why Morgan Stanley Is Struggling to Get Bidders for eBay Debt :link:

eBay can sell just about anything, apparently, but its own debt.

That exception has come as a surprise to Wall Street banks confident they could market a junk-rated loan package that helped fund the $925 million sale of two of eBay's (EBAY - :clickme: for Report)  businesses to private-equity firms Sterling Partners and Permira in July, a deal struck at the same time that the online auction site spun off electronic payment service PayPal.

Instead, lead underwriter Morgan Stanley (MS -  :clickme: for Report) is now struggling to place the $700 million debt at its expected terms, even to investors often hungry to take on risk in return for high yields, according to two sources familiar with talks. The investment bank missed its target completion date in late October, and the loans are now being pitched at a significantly higher rate of interest, according to the sources.

The second-lien component of the loan, a $100 million slice, is being offered at nearly 11% annual interest, and the first-lien slice, $540 million, is being offered at nearly 7%. Credit Suisse (CS - :clickme: for Report) and Barclays (BCS) are also underwriters.
Read more»»

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
eBay will begin intermediating payments on its Marketplace platform?

What the ....? Were they not always doing this with paypal?

I see they say they will still offer paypal payment at checkout ? Is this new thing similar to oaypal but now just ebays preferred bedmate to paypal ? It seems like they are trying to complicate matters again ...

Heres a copy of the email for thise that didnt get it

Dear Smee

eBay is happy to announce plans to further improve the customer experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers. We have signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become our primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

You do not need to take any action at this time. The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey.

Over the past three years, eBay has transformed its business to drive the best choice, most relevance and most powerful selling platform. Building out our payments capabilities is the next step in that strategy.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds, and most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced. We’re also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, which can soon include payments information.

By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion.

The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey. eBay will begin intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of Marketplace customers to the new payments experience.

Again, you do not need to take any action at this time. As eBay gets closer to the initial phase of its intermediation efforts, we will share more details about this process and next steps for sellers. In the meantime, please read the eBay Inc announcement for further information. For any immediate questions or to share feedback, please email paymentsinfoau@ebay.com.au

We’re looking forward to what’s next, and to getting there with you.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Tim Mackinnon
VP & Country Manager, Australia & NZ

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Yeah...  My seller friend got this.  They did a bit of digging and there are a few things they weren't happy about.

I didn't get the full detail - but one of them was the equivalent of a full escrow service.  Sellers won't get their payment until delivery is confirmed.  One of the problems with this is, if you have something small that can get sent as a letter for a dollar or two, there is no tracking - unless you want to add Registered Post ... at $4 a pop.  So a $3 item with $2 postage won't be $5, it will have to be $9 ... or the seller won't ever get paid.  Genius.

There's also something about when payments are made to Sellers.  At the moment, a seller can pull money from PayPal at any time.  With this new setup, it seems that will happen whenever eBay feels like it.  "How to get interest on other people's money" 101.  PayPal have been playing that game for a while now.  (Ever notice how payments take longer to get through when there's been big exchange rate fluctuations.)

There's no doubt it's going to be painful.  Sellers are going to have to learn how it all works (the hard way, of course) so they can help guide their customers through the minefield.

I can't, for the life of me, see how it's going to be a "better experience" overall - but it will be spun that way.

I would love to be proved wrong - but I suspect I will be disappointed on that front.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
This is nothing to do with making things better for sellers (or buyers).

It's about maximising profit for eBay.

This new payment system where eBay will "manage the payments flow" means that eBay will be control of the money.

You'll notice that the letter states "You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds". There's no mention of "faster access to funds"; more predictable means it's regulated by eBay at intervals they decide, and it also means it's not accessible when YOU want the funds.

I'm extremely glad that I am not a seller on eBay.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
You'll notice that the letter states "You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds". There's no mention of "faster access to funds"; more predictable means it's regulated by eBay at intervals they decide, and it also means it's not accessible when YOU want the funds.

I did notice that - particularly the choice of the word "predictable" ... and I agree with your conclusion.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

New Fees for Sellers That Fall Below Standards
To protect our buyers and the customer experience, starting 4 April, sellers who fall Below Standards will incur an additional fee of 2% on Final Value Fees. Sellers who remain Above Standard or are Top Rated will not be affected

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
It's outrageous, but transparently obvious what is going on here.

Do eBay executives think that we - the buyers - are morons?

This isn't to safeguard buyers. It's to discourage sellers from fighting unjust claims by unscrupulous buyers looking to cheat their sellers.

The way it plays out is like this:
  • Buyer casts their eye on a coveted item.
  • Buyer doesn't want to actually BUY the item; why pay if you can get it for nothing?
  • Buyer purchases item on eBay.
  • Buyer receives item and chooses the most convenient "get money back" routine. E.g., if untracked, "INR" (it didn't arrive). If an itemneeded for one occasion or for a short time, "SNAD" (not as described at all!). If buyer directed to return, well, contact eBay by phone and go into a rant about how horrible it is and come up with a reason why it doesn't need to be returned - OR send an empty envelope with tracking number - OR any of a number of tricks. Buyer may choose to damage the item him/herself if no longer needed, or send back similar but not identical item if buyer already owned similar (damaged) item. Possibilities are endless.
  • Seller chooses to fight unjust claim.
  • Buyer escalates claim and is rewarded with money back and possibly with no direction to return the item.
  • Seller is rewarded with a defect. I'm not sure how many - is it 2? - before the seller is hit with a "below standard" punch by eBay.
  • Seller loses item and money, and is also charged an extra 2% by eBay.

Why? Because eBay has for years been attempting to turn eBay into a new shopping mall with retail shops - Myer, Peter's of Kensington, Harvey Norman, Betta, Big W, Woolworths, etc. You can bet those big sellers do NOT find themselves subjected to this ridiculous treatment by eBay. This behaviour does however make it ever more likely that smaller sellers will be forced out, unless they are the sort of sellers who humbly accept eBay's seller terms - unequivocal terms of acceptance for change of mind, free shipping, no fighting scamming buyers. It means eBay will make up some of the money it expends currently on giving 20% discounts on particular sellers - e.g., the recent 20% for Myer items on eBay.

Sickening for the genuine smaller sellers whose business model cannot sustain eBay's ridiculous terms of roll over and play dead for the customer.

I have some stock left over from the shop, but I am far too terrified by eBay's prohibitively punitive and destructive behaviour towards sellers to risk selling any of it on eBay.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
An extraordinary tale of theft and deception on eBay, using the Money Back Guarantee to defraud, as well as identity theft, etc.

Scammers making millions and living high-life in online fraud

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
The sad thing is that this goes on at a much smaller level, but over a broader scale and it is often the case that hard working honest sellers are at the mercy of such fraudsters.