Author Topic: The Parliamentary Deadlock Farce  (Read 97035 times)

Poddy

The Parliamentary Deadlock Farce
« on: August 26, 2010, 03:49:50 AM »
The current state of affairs is a disgraceful and potentially fatal blow to our supposedly democratic system.
Are we to have our elected members of parliament dictated to by a very few power hungry individuals?

Can you imagine the situation where one militant dictator is handed a loaded gun to hold at the heads of one side or the other?

‘So you don’t like green huh? BANG !!! take that’

Imagine the next parliamentary term with NOTHING being achieved because all the time has been spent in ‘negotiations’ to appease the outlandish whims of a very small greedy minority.

I say let us all go back to the polling booths with the lessons that we have learned.

I would also like to see the preferential system of elections scrapped.

It is laughable that a party that has the majority percentage primary votes is not able to form government.
Government should include ALL elected members and each member should vote on any issue according to the wishes of the people they represent.

If a policy stinks it would not pass into law just because the party that crafted it happens to have the majority vote.

TIME FOR A CHANGE AUSTRALIA !!

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
Re: The Parliamentary Deadlock Farce
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:47:43 AM »
I say call another election

dealing with these 5 alleged independents will be like trying to herd cats

call another election with NO preferences

most votes wins

Poddy

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:17:24 AM »
No more campaining, no more political bullshit, a total media blackout on politics, and just a re-vote I wonder what would happen to the power hungry MPs clamouring for a strangle hold?

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 03:31:41 PM »
Will be a bluddy sight more interesting if the independents support Labor...... Hope the people have LCP members in their electorates!

elantra

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 04:45:14 PM »
Or better still, who the Australian Public prefer as Prime Minister!

HellWest'nCrooked

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 05:25:42 PM »

I couldn't' agree more....bring on another election and I honestly believe it won't be long before there is one.

I was so angry Sunday morning on my long drive home from town......how could Australians be so bloody stupid.......... how could the power of the country end up in the hands of so few.......how could over half a million people manage donkey votes.......how could..........
and then I realised that it won't be long before we are back at the polls, so bring it on!

One more minor thing, whilst realising the predicament real Julie must have found herself in a few months ago, it wasn't a matter of life and death, it was a matter of winning an election (or so they thought), surely standing moral ground would have meant more than winning an election.   Or was all that talk of standing by Kevy just that...talk!   
Ain't no rhyme or reason
No complicated meaning

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 06:18:27 PM »
She's not the messiah , she's a very naughty girl !!

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 06:42:58 PM »
elantra,

It appears that the people spoke last saturday on that one...... How many seats did Labor win... and lose?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »
It all sounds like
American crap
to me!!!!
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 09:57:34 PM »
It all sounds like
American crap
to me!!!!

It's politics ... and the same problems exist, no matter how you make a burger: The truth is irrelevant, it's only the perceptions that matter - because that's what people 'buy' on.

Poddy

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 05:30:12 AM »
The mind boggles

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2010/08/27/Greens_could_serve_as_Abbott_ministers_505189.html

The minister for tree hugging?

Minister for disruption?

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 06:05:11 PM »
THIS IS SO GOOD

Are you a Labour, a Liberal, or a National Voter?

Here is a little test that will help you decide.
The answer can be found by posing the following question:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the knife, and charges at you.
You are carrying a Barrett 50 cal model 107 and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

THINK CAREFULLY THEN SCROLL DOWN:

Labour Voter’s Answer:
Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!
Does the man look poor or oppressed?
Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids?
Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation?
Does the gun have appropriate safety built into it?
Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?
Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?
Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?  Should I call 000?
Why is this street so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have community clean -up day.  Can we make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behaviour.
I need to debate this with some friends for a few days and try to come to a consensus.
The Government should form a committee to investigate why this is happening to me.  
This is all so confusing!  

Liberal's Answer:
BANG!

National's Answer: (or possibly Shooters & Fishers party, definately the Ubbie Max Party :-))
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
Click.... (Sounds of reloading)
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
Daughter: 'Nice grouping, Daddy!' 'Were those the Copper Tips or Hollow Points?! '
Son: 'Can I shoot the next one Dad?!'
Wife: ‘You’re not taking that to the Taxidermist!

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Ubbs..... Where do I get the application to join your party?????

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 08:57:06 PM »
I think Ubbie is negotiating to have applications included in every box of ammunition over 30 caliber...

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »
As a labor supporter - I am with the nationals on that.

Poddy

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 12:58:30 PM »
And these are the people who wiil be given a loaded gun (balance of power)?????

Check out the body language OMG !!!! is this a polly??

Start digging your graves now

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/9raw-katter-blasts-media/xh6azmr?from=imbot_en-au_general

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 01:23:46 PM »
Having dealt with the mass media when they have an agenda, they are after sales and stuff fairness or the truth.

You do not know what lead up to that outburst, the hours edited out and the bits all stuck together out of context. Anyone can be made to sound like an foolish, agressive, raving madman. And if they have a temper like Latham or Katter easiest thing in the world.

That Varieties Gal

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 01:44:37 PM »
being ex nth qld
katter has always been known as a bit rabbid
but a real character and he gets the votes
probably because he is truely committed to the stockman, farmer, the bloke on the street and the like
and he is not shy to getting his hands dirty

Poddy

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 01:49:46 PM »
I am quite aware what can be done with editing an interview, for a number of years, when I worked for the ABC, I was the technical person responsible for editing the raw material from all sorts of interviews that the reporters obtained.
On occasions I was requested to edit out portions that changed the whole flavour of the interview, I refused, and so did the other technical people.

I have no doubt that that activity does happen from time to time, sadly.

If you were to watch that segment closely you will find that there were NO edits in that segment and that it was contiguous.
The body language of that person told 1000 times more about the person than the actual words, and the words are a reflection of the type of person that man is. The body language backs it up he stabbed that reporter multiple times or did you not notice?

Watch the segment again.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
I've never had to engage in anything involving Bob Katter, but I've always considered him rather outspoken.  He is certainly not the stereotypical politician - the silver-tongued devil kind - but comes across more like the pissed off aussie knockabout who's had enough ... and has had the support of his electorate to get voted into parliament, for just that reason.

While that clip was unedited, it came across to me that his objections were very clear - the media ignored the plight of people like those Katter represents - even to the point of ignoring suicides ... and now they come chasing him with inane questions.  Who wouldn't be unimpressed?

What is quite apparent is that he is quite purposeful in representing his constituents and passionate about the relevent issues. (interesting approach - do you think it will catch on?)

Honest and refreshing in its own way, the true concern is how will he work in a constructive way with 149 other members of parliament?  Whilst it is essential to represent one's own electorate, it must be done in a way that still benefits the country as a whole - and that can be challenging.

callostemma

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 10:32:29 PM »
I'm with ubbie Max :youaretheman: :rifle: :pepsi:

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 11:51:35 PM »
being ex nth qld
katter has always been known as a bit rabbid
but a real character and he gets the votes
probably because he is truely committed to the stockman, farmer, the bloke on the street and the like
and he is not shy to getting his hands dirty

I think he is a bit like Wilson Tuckey - they may not be slick but they are regular people.  Both have gone into politics to try and help their community and the community at large.  And just like Pauline they say what they think.  Now I dont always agree with what they say, but its refreshing to see a Politician that does not have a speech writer and a stylist telling them what to do.

I personally think that is wrong with most Politicians - they dont say what they really think, they say what they think we want them to say, or worse the way the party wants them to do.   We dont see nearly enough Conscience votes on issues, and we dont see them sticking up for what they truly believe.  it seems that they dont have the courage to agree with the opposition party (whomever it maybe) when a good idea is presented. 

Thats what I think we want our Politicians to do - cross the floor when its warranted.  Work together to make this country the best it can be, regardless of what their party line is.  Too many politicians forget that they dont work for their party - they work for us.  We are the ones that elect them to represent our electorate.

I think that in the future there will be more independants in Parliament - because we are so sick of 'Politics'.  And I think that is what this election has proven.

And Bob Katter is right - the media snubbed the independants and the other minority parties during the election - focusing only on the 2 major parties, but now they are clammering for their opinions - I would tell them to get stuffed too

elantra

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 01:53:30 PM »

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 02:04:48 PM »
what a load of carry on over nothing
if this bloke cant handle someone phoning and identifying themselves as the devil then he will be pathetic in parliment .... I too hate people vetting my calls , if I phone and ask to speak to someone and the answerer asks "who's calling" I invariably make up a humerous answer , its none of their business who is calling until I get to speak to who I rang to speak to and then will will know this Mr Cockshott is so full of his own importance now its getting rediculous ....I quite liked the bloke when he first got elected and spoke a week ago , now he is about as appealing as genitile warts !!!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 04:01:03 PM »
I regard the current situation - at least as reported in the media - as a hopeless mess.

On the current showing, the Independents are flexing their muscles and playing mind games (or so it seems), rather than refraining from speaking inappropriately to the media, dangling carrots and threatening sticks, generally behaving like blackmailing ooh-la-las. What happened to the initial idea of no Independent being able to be "bought" by being handed a Ministerial position? What happened to the greater good of the country being their main motivation? What happened to the idea of a stable government? The overwhelming impression being given now (I believe) is that any government formed with these little dictators having such unprecedented say-so is bound to be unstable - because of THEM, not because of either the Labour or Liberal parties.

I feel as though we're in a sinking boat, and three men are hanging on to the cork plugs, pulling them apart bit by bit, and loudly declaiming that they want faster and cheaper corks for everyone...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 05:14:12 PM »
what a load of carry on over nothing
if this bloke cant handle someone phoning and identifying themselves as the devil then he will be pathetic in parliment .... I too hate people vetting my calls , if I phone and ask to speak to someone and the answerer asks "who's calling" I invariably make up a humerous answer , its none of their business who is calling until I get to speak to who I rang to speak to and then will will know this Mr Cockshott is so full of his own importance now its getting rediculous ....I quite liked the bloke when he first got elected and spoke a week ago , now he is about as appealing as genitile warts !!!

Now see I think its just polite to tell the caller who you are when you phone.  I think its pathetic that Heffernan did not identify hiimself properly - and I would have hung up on him too

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 05:40:54 PM »
you are correct MM it is polite to say some thing like hello this is Smee speaking may I speak to Mr Cockshott please ....but if the caller doesnt identify himself and just says Hello may I speak to Mr Cockshott please ...it is actually impolite for the call answerer to then say "who is calling" as this implies that depending on who is calling depends on whether Mr Cocksott is available ....which is rude and bad business manners
At least this is what (amongst other things) a business telephone etiquette company told all the staff that I sent to them for a telephone manner confrence

but the point is even if Heffernan was wrong by saying he was the Devil ...was it neccessary for
Mr Cockshott or whatever his name is to burst into tears and say the whole shebang has been compromised ....it didnt really matter one iotta did it ? unless his daft missus actually thought the caller was the devil ??? ....... fair dinkum the bloke is so full of his own importance its going to be his undoing mark my words ......... JMO !!!!

"'But what is of deeper concern is ... is this a strategic move to try and destabilise this whole process?"
just how is naming youself as the devil a strategic move to destabilise ????

What an absolute Knob Jockey !!

and what the f### has Rambo got to do with it ???

But you dont think he over reacted ?

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 06:04:18 PM »
I agree that this has been blown out of proportion.

Vetting phone calls is fairly normal business practise nowadays and I would expect a Politician to know this - all their offices do this too.

But this was their home, and as i expect they were getting a lot of phone calls from the media etc, I think it was fair enough for the wife to ask who was calling.  he should have just said who he was, and there would have been no problem. 

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 06:21:18 PM »
I have just heard that Heffernan reffered to himself as the devil because Cockshott referred to himself as playing the devils advocate

and never the less a bloke refers to himself as the devil and the wife hangs up .....

so why isnt that the end of the story?  why does Mr Cockshott feel the need to tell the media hey someone rang and told the war office they were the devil ?
Heffernan texted him virtually straight away and said it was him after trying to ring back and be unable to get through .....either way its not important ...its definately not newsworthy and this bloke is making a clown of himself , 
all he wants is to be the contstant centre of media attention and believe me it will be his down fall
the other 2 stooges are already getting Jack of him and he will end up making enemies in parliment ( in either / both / all parties ) if he doesnt settle down and then no one will want to work with him ....again JMO

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 06:25:38 PM »
I would ask why the media ran with this story in the first place.  Because I do think they helped blow this story up, thats what they do.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 06:28:37 PM »
Mandurahmum, "too right" as the saying goes.

The media are not helping the mess at all. I feel like hunting down all of the media involved and locking them in a room where the most exciting story is how long it takes an ant to shove a tiny grain of sugar from one end of the room to the other.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 06:32:27 PM »
yes I agree ...the media should not have run with the story ...its not newsworthy ....but unless they have Mr Hotshotts phone tapped then who went crying to them ? Him Mr Hotshott did ... unneccessary self promotional  crapola !!!!!
and Parlimentarians already hate what happens when shite gets leaked to the media .... This tosser will get labelled as a telltale to the media and no one will confide in him ..... he will or has shat in his own nest .......
again I say he will be his own down fall

Poddy

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »
I agree Mandi,

The media don't give a rats, so long as it sells papers it's fair game

Pretty sad state of affairs huh?

As I read in one comment in response to one of the media reports

'Lets go back to the poles', hmmm.... i would love to see see some pollys at the 'poles' some at the south pole and some at the north pole.

A fresh election would probably break this deadlock and send a message to the would be dictators.
I would love to see the results of those would-be dictators in a fresh election :)

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 07:09:40 PM »
The media certainly does not just report the news anymore - they sensationalise everything and even make up stuff.

A few years back a neighbour was charged with murder, we had the media camped out for a couple of days and then when other things happened - they were back.  The neighbour in question lived opposite me, and I had to ask on several occassions for the media to move thier cars - they had blocked me in.  I was hassled for a comment - and gave them one - not the one they wanted.  In the end I had to call the police - just to get out of my driveway.

Poddy

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »
Quite right.

'News' is a self pertetuating growth industry, no news? Make some.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 07:21:42 PM »
They are just lazy nowadays - they seem to copy each others story - instead of investigating stories for themselves.

Poddy

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 07:35:59 PM »
Sadly, the media give the majority of their readers what they want, sensational crap, if it was not sensational they sensationalize it.

The majority of readers need stimulus in their otherwise uneventful boring lives.
It is just a shame that it has to be imposed on the minority.

I sift through all the flotsam and jetsome to find something even remotely resembling newsworth with an iota of credibility, rarely do I find anything :(

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 09:57:51 PM »
A media beat-up...? Who would have thought...........?

Hopeless.

It is, as has been said, just a means of making money. Objectivity, truth and fairness are the first casualties.
 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I also was thinking along the lines of the pomposity of these 'muscular' independents. If they don't sort themselves out and support the creation of a government - we'll be back to the polls ... and their constituents might think differently about them!!

Strutting around like peacocks - they should take a long walk off a short pier.

Poddy

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 10:29:09 PM »
Isn't this pandering to the would-be dictators a bit much Julia?

Do you think echoing the word 'paradigm' is going to win you any brownie points?
Scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit, but heck any straw is OK if you are drowning.

Ms Gillard told the National Press Club on Tuesday a Labor government would 'build a new paradigm for regional development'.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »
its just about all over for Julia and her team

bnwt

• Knight of the RT

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »
Deal with Greens shows Labor is desperate to cling to power: Abbott

Mr Abbott said Prime Minister Julia Gillard's decision to agree to the Greens proposals to ditch her controversial Citizen's Assembly plan on climate change showed she was prepared to "junk" election commitments.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-election/deal-with-greens-shows-labor-is-desperate-to-cling-to-power-abbott-20100901-14mql.html

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 12:52:40 PM »

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 01:59:56 PM »

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »
I dont know why the coalition wont share the costings of their election promises with the rest of Australia - we deserve to know

elantra

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2010, 11:32:49 PM »
The final tally

Labor Party won, 72 seats.
Liberal Party won, 66 seats.
National Party won, 7 seats.
Greens won, 1 seat.
Others won, 4 seats.

Poddy

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 01:19:01 AM »
Don'tcha just love the preferential voting system Trala!! ???

How to get votes even if those votes are supposedly for someone else.

Pray tell what was the primary vote count for all parties concerned?

By the way when is it going to be official? The renaming I mean.

What will the title be Green Labor, Socialist Green Labor, Como Green Labor or maybe Bobby will have his wicked way and drop all other titles and just go with Green.
After all Julia DID promise parliamentary reforms or is that re forms?

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 03:59:37 AM »
Here is the primary vote count as requested.

Labor    150        4,504,452    
Liberal    109        3,589,419    
Greens    150            1,364,492    
LNP        30             1,098,133    
National    16          439,755    

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2010/guide/parties.htm

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 06:28:15 AM »
What will the title be Green Labor, Socialist Green Labor, Como Green Labor or maybe Bobby will have his wicked way and drop all other titles and just go with Green.

Potential in a number of the above names Poddy. An interesting concept, given that Labor and the Greens are pretty much chalk and cheese on policy. As I recall, there was always a price involved with getting into bed with the devil. And stability?.... should be interesting. Might just have to resurrect my Curly avatar in dealing with this matter..... just for the sake of clarification.

Can't wait until the "Labor supports same sex marriage" adds begin to run. That should impress the Labor purists no end. Who ever would have thought that Julia would get into bed with Bob?  And... the reverse also applies.  Ooooh.... did I say that?

New party slogan: "Labor..... in power at any cost". Rings rather true.

And..... buggerit.... just where did the Greens themselves get their mandate from to stand over the Australian people? One seat in the house of reps does not a government make.... even on elantra's above quoted figures! 

Poddy

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 07:08:52 AM »
R numbers surely you are not hinting that they have gender identity confusion syndrome are you?
Hmmm...... food for postulation.

Maybe that explains why Bob persued gay law reforms in Tasmania with such vitality.