Author Topic: Internet Fraud Ebay won't crack down on them.  (Read 13864 times)

newspeak

Internet Fraud Ebay won't crack down on them.
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:13:50 PM »
Hi too everyone reading this,

I've been on ebay for about four years now and in all that time I haven't had a problem. But in the last two months I've had two ebayers screw me over when buying their stuff.

Now I went through that stupid security center that does nothing but waste time and to no avail I haven't got my money back and I probably will never get it back. It seems that ebay just wants you to forget about it. I even went to the police internet fraud site because the seller is no longer register with ebay and filed a form for that one but they haven't got back too me and it's been a month since that. And the other one is still here on ebay but he keeps giving me these "oh sorry yeah I'll pay it on Friday" then Tuesday Weds rolls around and nothing. This has been happening for weeks. Seller name edited out look him up and tell him to give my money back!!!

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Internet Fraud Ebay won't crack down on them.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 11:18:53 PM »
Sorry to hear about your dodgy sellers , newspeak.

Welcome to my nightmare!   :)

I made a large purchase in early July last year and we still haven't received a refund. The seller shut up shop and did a runner leaving many buyers out of pocket. The matter is currently under police investigation.

It does take time. And eBay were no help in our case, just made the seller NARU and that was it.

Did you pay by paypal?

newspeak

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 11:42:49 PM »
Well one of the sellers was offering a discount when paying with internet banking. And I usually use internet banking just so the seller doesn't have to pay paypal. I thought was doing the right thing but now I just don't know. I guess I'll just have to pay with paypal, stuff it I can't afford to loose anymore money.  I hate ebay the gutless Playful Percys.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 11:46:04 PM »
Do you want to give some more details to see if anyone here can offer some suggestions tomorrow? I'm sorry I have to go now. I hope everything works out and you can get your money back.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:55:49 PM »
Newspeak, there are some good strategies for minimising your risk with online purchases. Did you check your seller's feedback before purchasing? (I mean - really check it, using toolhaus.org) Did you check how long they'd been operating, and whether they'd sold similar items on that ID?

If you feel any sort of misgivings when considering a purchase, perhaps it's time to hit the Back button. If you're purchasing anything for a significant amount of money, you demonstrate a nice degree of trust if paying by bank transfer, but then you really need to feel convinced that the seller has earned that trust. (Of course, that's no help now.)

By the way, we don't want to encourage naming the seller / naming the buyer on this forum, as - if you misidentify the person - there's the danger of adversely affecting that person's ability to trade in the event of that person being innocent of wrongdoing. I'll edit your post.

How long ago were these purchases? Can you give a little more detail about type of item, etc? Have you tried contacting your bank to see about reversing the payment? Do you have the seller's contact details (phone number)?

Perhaps we can offer some helpful advice to give you a chance of being able to get back your money. I hope so.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

newspeak

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 12:34:48 AM »
Hi countessalmirena,

I'm sorry about any inconvenience to the forum but this is really doing my head in. The items weren't overly expensive so I thought it would be alright with internet banking. And I usually look at the users feedback in detail but it was a good deal and I saw that the feedback was pretty good in general and that they had sold a few hundred items so I just bought it.

But the details are as follows. I bought a laptop from one of the sellers that was atleast a month and a half ago and we were talking and everything was fine. But it seemed as soon as he got the money he unregistered the ebay account and that was that. I filed a no item received claim and was talking to ebay about it trying to get his details so I could inform the police but I had to wait 60 days until they could give his details so when I finally got them I filed the report and have been waiting ever since. Ebay has no interest in helping you they just want to pass it off to someone else when they could just nip in the bud right there and then.

As for the second one well I bought a $80 phone off him I received it and it was faulty so I sent it back registered post (I've still got the post num if that makes any difference) And he said that he would send the money so I'm waiting and the money never comes. So I just think that he's maybe having some trouble or something so a few weeks go by and I'm not too worried because what can possibly go wrong on ebay. Well I forget about it and the listing as ended so I can't get the details back, I can't really report it too ebay so now I start getting a little worried and email the seller and he says that he will pay it this week. So the week goes by. I email him again and says he's really sorry and he had trouble with money so he's definitely going to pay next week and so on. I just don't know what to do. I've got the phone numbers of both sellers but no use they don't pick up.                                

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 12:39:12 AM »
More infomatrion is the key

Do you have any of the emails etc - any email addresses or even names and bank acount numbers/paypal names?

They often lead to things that the seller may not be aware of and allow you to report him to the police

Let me know - probably via Private message and I'll see what can be done - and if anyone knows anything - doesn;t hurt to try

Don't post in here at the moment - as some things are best left unsaid for a little while.
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

brumbymg

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 03:21:26 AM »
newspeak - don't apologise.

The issue you are seeking help for is a perfect example of why this site has been set up.  There are many of us who have discussed and helped out on these sorts of issues on the old Round Table (our inspiration for this site's name), but because of the environment, changes and  'politics' over there, the ability to be straightforward and honest has become an exercise in masochism.

So bring your issues here and we'll do what we can to help - and we will be honest.  We actually care about what happens to people - not just trolling out tired lines or posting links to double-dutch legalspeak policies and then leave you to it.  We will ask questions.  We will want to do our best to tell you the right thing.  Sometimes it will be an easy solution.  Sometimes it will be hard work.  Sometimes it will mean telling someone something they don't want to hear (not you) - but it will be sincere, appropriate and without malice.  (If any member tries to laud it over someone seeking our help, they'll be quickly sat back in their place by everyone here - not just the moderators. We've all seen the baiting games and 'using the system' antics and we won't stand for any of that here).

If you haven't already, have a read of our Desiderata thread.  You will then have a good feel about where we're coming from.

Feel free to hang around, too.  As well as adding to our understanding, your experience can help someone else and we'd love to broaden the range of expertise this site can offer.

Oh, and since I'm sure I haven't done so already (with apologies) - WELCOME!!

cueperkins

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:35:47 AM »
Hi Newspeak...you say you paid by bank deposit?  If so, you already have the sellers location via the BSB...his/her name, and the bank they use.  All you need do is give this to police with the emails da-ewok mentioned.  That's the ONLY safe thing about using b/deposit on ebay these days...the very fact that you have the sellers details.   

If you contacted ebay the first thing they asked no doubt was.....did you use Paypal?  If not, too bad, nobody home !!.  So, in a bid to make everyone use Paypal, they ignore the fraud on their site, and it becomes functional in some perverted way.  One thing is certain, this type of fraud has been out of control on Ebay for some time now......anyone remember the frauds that happened last year?  not one consumer ripped off...thousands were defrauded.   Still with all of eBay's so called innovative disruptions, they've done diddly squit to Id sellers and make Ebay a safe marketplace.  They never learn !!!

Anyway......Numb posted a thread on this subject, and put in a link to look up BSB numbers.  Once you have the suburb of the bank branch, get on line to the white pages and see if the individual who's name you have, is listed in the phone book for that area or any nearby suburb.

Now while you are doing all this mucking around...You should also consider lodging a complaint against Ebay with Fair Trading, and complain specifically about the absence of any customer service or assistance, as a result of being defrauded by a seller that Ebay allow on their site (Unverified and hence anonymous)  Here we go again with 100 pt Aust Post ID....LOL 

You should retain and make copies of all info you have and put it in a file.  i.e. emails (original from ebay)  Print down the actual email and the internet header...any emails direct from the seller, do the same...all emails asking ebay for help forlornly should be tendered both with the police complaint and complaint to Fair Trading...(in some states it is called Consumer Affairs)  Ebay is a service provider, not a venue, according to a precedent case in Victoria defined years ago...(Evagora v Ebay - v-cat database I think).  If you are located in Vic...even better, they have the best consumer protection laws in the country.

When you lodge your complaint against Ebay with fair trading, make sure you send a CC, to the Minister in charge of that Dept in the State you live in.  Tell them that consumers are unprotected against fraud on Ebay, and ebay do nothing to assist the victim or police in any expedient manner to track them down. 

Just my opinion !!

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »
G'Day Cupie,

As an interest, I just tried to track my location by entering my BSB into the tracker...

And it didn't show much at all...I am with ANZ, and their structure just says "rural Account" with the address of ANZ head office in Melbourne..

But, My bank branch is in Tassie...

HHhmmm, not much help really... But I suppose the police could require ANZ to cough up the proper details.

Cheers
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

cueperkins

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 10:26:27 AM »
There is a BSB List...let me see if I can find one for ANZ.  Otherwise, you can call ANZ and get the branch suburb from them...it's hardly confidential as it doesn't pinpoint any individual.  As I said, give me a little while, catching up on some work today in the home office.  And yes...Police can find out the BSB without a court order...lol...but they are unlikely to do it unless they have enough info to proceed...it takes up police man hours and in NSW for instance, Police are already flat to the boards.   You have to do a lot of the legwork yourself if you want to be successful.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

newspeak

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Hi guys,

First let me thank you all for some good advice and support.

For the seller that sold me the laptop I've got most of his details like all of his banking details, state, phone number etc. So I filed the two internet fraud documents that the police give you. But his bank account name was different than his name on ebay so hopefully the police can track him down I'm not sure. But I really want to bring this guy to justice. I wonder if I can sue him for thousands of dollars and make an example of him so people think twice before they rip you off.   

As for ebay I will definitely go to the consumer affairs and lodge a compliant against them.

Also I've been looking at some of the items of the seller that sold me the phone, and he put his mobile No. on one of the listings so when I get a chance I might just give him a call and just tell him to get this over with because I'm not going anywhere and shouldn't have to put up with this. I mean I'm not really worried about the 80 bucks but it's the principle of it that some guy thinks he can get away with it and just laugh in my face.

I guess some people think that this is just video game or something because they're not dealing with people directly. It's just ridiculous that ebay doesn't punish these people. I've sent numerous emails to ebay, just stating that his seller hasn't reimbursed me and he's not applying to ebay's guidelines. But I don't get any reply they put their head in the sand.

You would think that a seller that has been on ebay for years and given them hundreds of dollars in fees would help you out but no.

I'll keep you all updated but I think this is going to go on for while.....

Poddy

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 12:33:08 PM »
Thank you da_ewok,

You are a mine of golden information :)

I have checked out that site's look-up table with 18 known BSB numbers and the results are spot on.

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 12:37:04 PM »
Thanks Ewok,

I put my BSB in and got the wrong result again !.

The account name said ANZ Tas... which is correct.

But gave the branch address as Tuggarah, NSW... And I'm in Tassie..

This is ANZ's problem, not the site doing the lookup..

Cheers
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 04:34:16 PM »
Fraud on eBay????????

That's a "stunner"!
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 05:06:59 PM »
eBay responds to questions about fraud

LiisaSx

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »
Botox Sold Illegally on Ebay   <-----Click for Link. 

night-hawk-1

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 09:46:16 AM »
Good morning newspeak I hope you feel a little better now, than the help you got from ebay.

A few new ideas and been able to tell your story can make things a little better.

Also try a google search on that phone number you have and even the bank account # I have some times been able to track people quite well because they provide this info accross different formums linking different user names.

brumbymg

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 12:09:51 PM »

I have some times been able to track people quite well because they provide this info accross different formums linking different user names.

Well, I suppose it is this Sunday coming...  ;)

newspeak

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 06:36:21 PM »
Well everyone, this is the situation I've spoken to the QLD fair trading office and they basically said to me that I'm on my own and to take them to court. Well it looks like anybody can just stumble onto ebay and start stealing at will. Great work ebay you won... Or have you...

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 06:40:27 PM »
What have you tried so far?

Have you spoken to your bank and explained the situation, asking for their help in finding the seller's correct details?

Have you filed the complaint with the QLD police online fraud link? The police might then be able to follow up on your behalf with the seller's details.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

imperfect

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 06:17:51 PM »
Hi Newspeak,

Are they in Aust? if so where?