Author Topic: The ELECTION Thread  (Read 253137 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: The ELECTION Thread
« Reply #750 on: August 21, 2010, 01:35:51 AM »
Well, I think the Woody effort was more creative, unlike the snake.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #751 on: August 21, 2010, 01:43:43 AM »
... and speaking of bringing foreign material into an Australian political discussion... that snake picture is featured on the University of Massachusetts Amherst website.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #752 on: August 21, 2010, 06:47:46 AM »

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #753 on: August 21, 2010, 08:02:09 AM »
Julia derailed by city rail link

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/election/julia-derailed-by-city-rail-link/story-fn5zm695-1225907970833

One Labor source called the announcement a major mistake saying it "reminded all of western Sydney of one of the biggest failures of Labor".

no that's not true, it did not remind all of western Sydney ....... it reminded the whole of NSW

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #754 on: August 21, 2010, 09:13:12 AM »
A train line between Epping and Parramatta??? Was a great idea - about twenty years ago. The same route is currently covered by a dozen bus services. The people of the North West - and South West have a much more serious need. Goodness knows, in very recent times a judge dismissed a drink driving charge against a woman because of the absence of public transport to one of these areas.

But.... the idea was an off the cuff one by Ms Gillard wasn't it? I wonder if it made the Labor self imposed costing deadline of last Wednesday? Seems that 35 others didn't.

Let me see.... might need some help here Countess.... how does one spell H Y P O C R I T E S? Is that correct????

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #755 on: August 21, 2010, 09:17:33 AM »
Oh.... and BLARDY HELL! My daughter still wants her computer that was promised to her by Labor in 2007. She is worried whether Windows 95 on a Pentium 166 platform will still be compatible today. Kids! Who'd havem!

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #756 on: August 21, 2010, 10:26:48 AM »
NBN could cost households 'an extra $3000'

THE electrical industry has contradicted Julia Gillard over the costs of connecting to the National Broadband Network.

It has argued that some households could pay up to $3000 in rewiring costs to take full advantage of the superfast internet service.

GAWWWWWD Julia! I think you've misled the community ..... again. Just goes to show that Tony Abbott is not the only person technically limited... doesn't it! Although... he was quick to point that out to the community! Better be getting on the phone to Swanny quick smart! It's a funny feeling when you put the boot on the other foot.... is it not!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/nbn-could-cost-households-an-extra-3000/story-fn59niix-1225908005122

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #757 on: August 21, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »
Anna Bligh says if Labor loses it's really all Kevin Rudd's fault

ANNA Bligh has insisted it was Kevin Rudd and not her that had a toxic impact on federal Labor's vote in Queensland.

The Courier-Mail has learnt the Premier told her Caucus colleagues this week her own rampant unpopularity had nothing to do with federal Labor's woes.

It appears that even Anna dearest is voting with the Libs.... and encouraging other Queenslanders to do the same! As one comment put it.... "The Stabbing" Part 2. (should be a bestseller!)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/anna-bligh-says-if-labor-loses-its-really-all-kevin-rudds-fault/comments-fn5z3z83-1225907969593

EDIT: Apologies bnwt, I should have known that you'd be on the job. Looks like I've made a Gillard of myself... or would that be a Gillardism perhaps?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #758 on: August 21, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »
It seems so far that the predictions that this will be a knife-edge election are true.

The closest Federal election in 50 years? It's too much for me. I can feel my teeth grinding with anxiety.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm a swing voter. THIS election, though, presented me with none of the usual humming and hawing and changing my mind which usually accompanies my thoughts on voting. I sympathise with a lot of the Labor issues and policies, but not with other Labor issues and policies. I am still incredulous that anyone would be voting for the Greens, considering the cogent issue of failure to permit back-burning which was so strongly contributory to the horrific loss of life in the Black Saturday fires. (But I respect the right of anyone to vote as they wish... This is, after all, our democratic right.)

I have voted this morning before going in to work.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #759 on: August 21, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »
Tony Abbott is not known for his good interviews: however, the ACA interview on election eve with Abbott was (I thought) surprisingly good. In my opinion, Ms Grimshaw hammered at the Abbott-and-women thing for far too long. It would have been good to hear some more cogent and interesting questions... but Abbott did respond both carefully and with his own character showing through. (That hasn't always been the case in the campaign, though - or so I believe.)

I think this is what has been missing for me in a lot of the campaign (from all sides): genuine personality and character shining through with all its quirks and mistakes and visions and glories. People being careful and holding back in an effort to project a plastic everyman (or everywoman) does NOT impress me. I prefer an honest person showing me personality traits I can honestly dislike than a person showing me a prefabricated nothingness. I can respect and dislike a person at the same time, but a nothing-person earns no respect AND no liking. I can vote for someone I dislike as long as I respect him/her; I can't vote for someone I cannot respect.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #760 on: August 21, 2010, 02:25:53 PM »
I've just received this youtube link in an email. Very funny!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ_s6V1Kv6A&

I don't have any speakers on this PC so if the sound is offensive please let me know and I'll delete this post.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #761 on: August 21, 2010, 02:26:32 PM »
I've just returned from voting. It is a strange election this time around, where normally, we walk in, vote and leave. Today was a line of around thirty meters.

Gut impression is that the LIBS are doing very well in the seat of Lindsay!

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #762 on: August 21, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »
same for me ............. normally I just walk straight in and vote but there was a line of about 40 people

I went off and did some shopping and came back an hour later when there were only about 10 people in the line

I didn't see anyone with labor how to vote cards in their hands

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #763 on: August 21, 2010, 03:29:04 PM »

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #764 on: August 21, 2010, 04:10:47 PM »
Gutless.... Agreed. Would it have been such a terrible thing for him to have offered some kindness to that family? It would have only really been a token gesture anyhow.... but could have, perhaps, provided them with just a touch of closure. Very sad.

callostemma

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #765 on: August 21, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »
Information has just been made public about something every australian should be aware of
Gonorrhea   Lectim
This is pronounced  "Gonna re-elect   em"
The Centre for Disease control has issued a warning about the new virulent strain of this old disease, although most people after being infected for the last 2-3 years are realizing how destructive this sickness is.
It is easily cured by a new procedure  coming on the market now ,called  Vo  tem  out
If persons take their first dose and don't  engage in past behaviour again,  it will not become permanent and eventually wipe out life as we know it.

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #766 on: August 21, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #767 on: August 21, 2010, 05:50:54 PM »
I have not voted yet - still got 2 hours and ten minutes till they close - and the winner will probably be known before then

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #768 on: August 21, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »
Rudd avoids insulation victim's family

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/rudd-avoids-insulation-victims-family/story-fn3dxity-1225908159317

GUTLESS

I would have avoided them too - they were there to protest.  He did not kill Matthew - he was killed because his employer did not train him properly or those guidelines were not followed.

Why not blame the premier of the state he worked in - they did not ban foil insulation - it was banned here long ago.  It has also been dangerous.

My son works in the housing industry - if something happened to him - can I blame the government because the house is probably being built under a new home bonus scheme.  

Of course not

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #769 on: August 21, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »
Well.... Polling booths have now closed for the eastern states - and in 2 hours, they will be in the west.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #770 on: August 21, 2010, 06:10:53 PM »
I went to my closest polling booth - at my old primary school - parked the car and got out. I looked across to the buildings and saw a queue stretch out the door, along the verandah, down the steps and up the quadrangle.

I got back in the car.

I then drove 1km to the polling booth I used to go to when I was at my previous address. It's in a large room of a fitness club located in another electorate but since it's so close to the boundary, they have a table for the one I'm in.  I parked one car away from the door and had one person in front of me for marking off the roll. I was out of my car for less than three minutes.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #771 on: August 21, 2010, 06:19:03 PM »
We have two that are both just up the road.  One at the school - which is normally busy and one at a church - I go to the church one.  at least then I can tell my grandma that I went to church.  lol

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #772 on: August 21, 2010, 06:30:13 PM »
I would have avoided them too - they were there to protest.

As I recall, Mr Rudd was the Prime Minister who stated  - "The Buck Stops With Me". There is a serious issue here - did he not speak with this family after the loss of their son? Honest question.... I don't know the answer.

He did not kill Matthew

No argument there at all..... of course he didn't - but his government was responsible for driving the program in the first place. Were the young man killed someone who was indirectly working for you.... would you close your eyes and hope it went away?

I'll let you in on a little secret mum..... I actually wrote to Kevin Rudd when he again made his email address available. (it was offline for quite some time) There were different policies that I certainly DID NOT agree with.... but I did genuinely like the man. I don't believe that there would be anyone, who actually watched his final speech from parliament house who would not have been moved by his compassion for the people that he spoke of - just as he bought such an interest to politics for soooo many people back in 2007.

Personally, I do not believe that the present Labor Party should continue to govern, after the way Mr Rudd was treated. Who's next to face the blade do you think? As I've mentioned earlier, I believe that the powerbrokers placed Ms Gillard in the hot seat in order to maximise populist opinion in the female part of the electorate. In doing so - they've exploited femininity disgracefully. Evidence of this? Well, let's start with an absolute minimal time for an election campaign to capitalise on the height of the wave.

Given the events of today, and the treatment of that family - perhaps I was wrong about his compassion. The meeting would have been taped most certainly - and I, for one, would have most certainly been impressed in seeing him address this particular concern. To have done so would probably seen as one of the most positive events of the present campaign.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #773 on: August 21, 2010, 06:34:06 PM »
The AEC's "Virtual Tally Room" is starting to show some results.

As at 6:28:59 PM there were 9,157 votes counted.

Hmm... still have a ways to go - there are just over 14,000,000 registered voters.

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #774 on: August 21, 2010, 06:36:09 PM »
I think he avoided them because they were not going to listen to him anyway.  They were not there for an apology - they were there to protest.  

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #775 on: August 21, 2010, 07:22:31 PM »
who would like the first slice , I know who should be queuing up

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #776 on: August 21, 2010, 07:30:01 PM »
There was a knife around somewhere .... anybody see where it went?

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #777 on: August 21, 2010, 07:32:17 PM »
Oh......  Sorry Kev.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #778 on: August 21, 2010, 09:26:16 PM »
Hey Mum! I thought you said that this would be all over before the count came to WA????

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #779 on: August 21, 2010, 09:37:58 PM »
I voted at 8.30 am at the local high school.  I also was surprised by the long line of people waiting to vote snaking down the corridoor.

I, being a swinging voter, like Tessa, are usually a bit dithery about which way to vote.  This time, I had no problem......
:duckling:

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #780 on: August 21, 2010, 10:37:21 PM »
Hey Mum! I thought you said that this would be all over before the count came to WA????

Please dont tell anyone - but I have been wrong before

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #781 on: August 31, 2010, 05:13:40 PM »
This was Kevins other punishment prior to the knife in the back

[attachment deleted by admin]

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #782 on: September 04, 2010, 02:49:23 AM »
ok since certain people werent happy with the comparision with Woody Woodpecker , here is another look alike

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #783 on: September 04, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »
Didn't they both go to the same Finishing School...?

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #784 on: September 04, 2010, 11:40:38 PM »
Most concerning! This could well be where this country will be heading in coming years!

Food price fear over Russia wheat ban

The rising prices around the world have raised concerns about a return to the political instability in 2008.

Haiti, Kenya and Somalia were among countries which saw rioting over the cost of living.

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/article.aspx?id=509061&articleID=1737421

callostemma

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #785 on: September 05, 2010, 08:46:16 AM »
We should be planting wheat,  barley,  rye in the riverland where all the grapes and fruit trees have been pulled

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #786 on: September 05, 2010, 07:01:59 PM »
We should be planting wheat,  barley,  rye in the riverland where all the grapes and fruit trees have been pulled

Couldn't agree more Callo, we will talk about it when Smee picks me up on the way to Westies.. ;)

Keep the genetically modified crap out of it and lets stand up and take advantage of this "food shortage" opportunity in front of us.  All we want as farmers is to get our "clean, green, fresh, pure" food out there into a vibrant market.

25 years ago I lived in Finland.  A steak on a plate in a bistro was worth more than a days wages..  get ready Australia.. this is where we are heading.

Poddy

« Reply #787 on: September 05, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »
I am sure that there are VAST areas of Australia that could and should be irrigated, it would give a lot of people jobs and make the land fertile giving more people oppertunities.

Put the money into that project instead of the NBN.

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #788 on: September 05, 2010, 07:24:22 PM »
I am sure that there are VAST areas of Australia that could and should be irrigated, it would give a lot of people jobs and make the land fertile giving more people oppertunities.

Put the money into that project instead of the NBN.

Unfortunately Poddy, the boy loving boys, in Melbourne voted for the billions to be spent on a North/South pipeline, and ripping water out of the Goulbourn Valley...  Get some balls farmers and sell them nothing for 12 months...  put our produce on the side of the road and let people know you are welcome to come buy from us if you r new Toyota Prius will make it that far on the coal sucking you did...

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #789 on: September 05, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »
Good onya Golden. I nominate Golden for Pm.

Poddy

« Reply #790 on: September 05, 2010, 07:34:47 PM »
You know, we are going to have to watch all the private members' bills if the worst happens, next thing you know 'boys loving boys' may become compulsory. they may try to slip that 'in the back door'.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #791 on: September 05, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »
now that will leave a big black hole in the budget

wyzeguy60

« Reply #792 on: September 05, 2010, 08:41:15 PM »
now that will leave a big back hole in the budget

;D