Author Topic: Partial Refund Question  (Read 17453 times)

Golden Silence

Partial Refund Question
« on: May 01, 2009, 04:09:26 PM »
Hi All,

I did a partial refund to a buyer yesterday - my first one. While it's completed and seemed simple to do, I do have a query about the fee involved.

I don't remember the screen exactly but it looked to me as though the fee was taken from the buyer and not me.

So for eg, if I refund $100 he only got $97-something and not the full $100, is that right?

Primaryaim

Re: Partial Refund Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 04:31:51 PM »
Hi Golden, I don't have an expert reply for you and later in the day there will be more posters here who can give a definite answer but...

I thought if a partial refund was processed the buyer did not get charged anything and your initial fee should go down.

I await a correct answer in anticipation :)

Golden Silence

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 04:38:44 PM »
Thanks Prim, that's what I thought too but there was some sort of deduction from the full amount. I'll check back later. Luckily the buyer is happy anyway so I'm not expecting a problem but it would be nice to know.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 04:53:50 PM »
According to this guide, no fees should be incurred by either you or the buyer, Golden Silence.

This confirms what I've read on the old RT. Did you issue the refund through the original buyer payment?

You should receive a partial refund of the PayPal fees if issuing a partial refund.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

exislegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 05:02:27 PM »
Hello Golden, if I haven't got the wrong end of the stick, it sounds like you send the buyer money, rather than doing an actual refund.

To do a partial refund you need to go into your PayPal account and find the original transaction and click on 'details' in the column next to the record of the transaction... when that page opens you will see a 'refund' button at the bottom of the page. You must issue the refund from there, so the buyer won't be charged any fees for accepting the money.

If you just send the buyer money via PayPal, (not linked to original transaction) the buyer would be charged the usual transaction fees.

Golden Silence

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 05:23:58 PM »
Hmm ok, not happy Jan.

I just went into my PayPal account to check it all again and yes, I definitely refunded through the original transaction.

They've charged a fee of $2.40.

It says: Gross $100 AUD  - Fee $2.40 AUD   - Nett $97.60

Golden Silence

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 05:25:14 PM »
And sorry, I forgot my manners. Hi Countess and Outofexisle and thankyou.  :)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 05:43:35 PM »
Hi, Golden - Hmm. Could you call PayPal to check on what's actually happened, and post the reply here?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Golden Silence

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 06:07:49 PM »
Aaarrggh lol.

I just rang and listened to the options about 5 times (plus the sub menus) and can't find one that's applicable.

It shouldn't be this hard to make a simple phone call.  :help:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 06:08:33 PM »
When I had occasion to call PayPal, there seemed nothing appropriate either, so I chose one at random.

Golden Silence

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
lol ok, bbs

Father Jack

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »
Hmm ok, not happy Jan.

I just went into my PayPal account to check it all again and yes, I definitely refunded through the original transaction.

They've charged a fee of $2.40.

It says: Gross $100 AUD  - Fee $2.40 AUD   - Nett $97.60

Greetings Golden

The above figures are:  $100 refunded back to the buyer = $97.60 taken from your PayPal ($2.40 not taken from your account as it's the 2.4% of the transaction)

Golden Silence

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 06:20:58 PM »
Good God that was painful! Had to spell out everything from name to the @ in email.

Hello Feck, you're right!  ;D

That's what PayPal eventually said. Very confusing way of laying it out but I guess that's to be expected from them.

Thankyou all. GS is happy again :D.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »
Golden Silence, would you like to write something on this for the FAQ section?

Golden Silence

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 06:33:05 PM »
Countess I think I just had my first hot flush lol. I'll give it a go if you like but I'm not confident I know enough to be of any use.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 06:35:27 PM »
You have been through the confusing situation of not knowing what was happening, so you have first-hand knowledge of how confused other sellers might be.

Feck, you had the answer to hand, which means you must have been through this.

That's the basis of being able to write a very useful piece for eBayers. I think you'll do a fantastic job.

Golden Silence

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »
Ok then I'll make an attempt. I'm being pushed off the computer now but I will see what I can do for tomorrow.

Thanks again to you all and have a great night.  :)

Golden Silence

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 11:38:15 AM »
Done Countess. You have a pm  :)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 04:07:53 PM »
Golden Silence, I've moved your excellent post to the FAQ section.

Do you foresee yourself wanting to write more FAQ posts? Let me know - I'll be happy to give you access!

Golden Silence

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
Countess, if I ever feel I know enough about anything to write another one, I'll let you know. At this stage I feel I'm a bit of a dumbo lol.