Author Topic: Is it just me.. or..?  (Read 3768 times)

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Is it just me.. or..?
« on: June 18, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of sellers on eBay of late are charging the most outlandish prices for very ordinary, worn, tired looking items.

In some cases they are setting straight BIN's (no auction) on second hand everyday items that they have had for years at above Retail for a brand new item, are they crazy? LOL

Do they look at the influx of B and M store listings and think 'Hmmmm yes, I will charge as much as they do, after all it is a similar item, and I think it still looks pretty newish (sort of) so that must be what it is worth'  LOL

and don't you just LOVE those infrequent sellers that list an item as "new" and when you read further in the listing it says something like "Item as new" has a few scratches and will need some glue to put the leg back on"........ er... thats.. not.. new, not even close!

They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
Re: Is it just me.. or..?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:50:15 PM »
Yes and it is also irritating to find flaws mentioned further into a listing which initially proclaims an item to be As New eg. half the tatting missing from 100 year old linen tablecloth. If buyers do not read all the listing they could be in for some shocks.

Surely it is just asking for trouble to list that way? It makes me not bother to buy from the seller, as I would never feel sure about the true condition of any of their items, and I would not trust their replies to any queries regarding any flaws mentioned. I prefer to not buy and look elsewhere.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:33:51 PM »
Liisa, hasn't it always been the same? Remember the listings in the Trading Post in The Castle. "Tell 'em they're dreaming!"

A lot of people have an over-inflated view of the value of their belongings, whether they are selling stuff online, at a garage sale, or even their car or house. The market will soon let them know the true values.

But .. then you do get some sellers who list items at auction and are genuinely surprised at how high the final bid goes!

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:39:33 PM »
With a lot of items that I see on eBay and Oztion, I do wonder why the seller hasn't just donated the item to charity or a school or the local hospital. By the time they take pics, write up a listing, pay listing fees, FVF fees and PayPal fees, package and post the item, surely they are not making any money?

I do regular visits to the local charity shop to drop off clothes and household goods. I like to think the items will either go to someone who needs them or the money raised from their sale will go towards a worthwhile program. I've heard that a lot of op shop stuff gets sold on eBay, who knows, some of it may have ended up there!

After the kids had grown out of their toys and books they were taken to the hospital to be used in the children's waiting rooms and a couple of boxes of books went to the School library.