Author Topic: New eBay Search tips  (Read 16350 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
New eBay Search tips
« on: April 29, 2009, 11:47:50 PM »
There have been a few posts on the AU boards asking for help in how to search all items in all categories in a specific area. This is the only way that I have found to do it through Advanced Search. Does anyone else have a better solution?

To search for all items in all categories, you can no longer leave the keywords blank, it requires at least 2 letters and an * as the wild card. I have tried a couple of combinations, th*, po* (assuming most listings would have the word 'the' or alternatively, 'postage' in them). th* has returned the most results so far.

Tick to search Title and Description

Tick Items near me, .... kms of postcode ....

A full list of search commands and operators is in eBay help
http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/search/search-commands.html

llama

Re: New eBay Search tips
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:54:03 PM »
We did an excercise for this some time ago on the eBay RT.

To search for all items in all categories, you can no longer leave the keywords blank, it requires at least 2 letters and an * as the wild card. I have tried a couple of combinations, th*, po* (assuming most listings would have the word 'the' or alternatively, 'postage' in them). th* has returned the most results so far.

You can capture far more if you choose more than one term...

(th*, po*, an*, to*)

The use of brackets, with commas in between) creates an "AND" search.

llama

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:55:48 PM »
Another tip... if you are searching and the Search Engine keeps finding no results and then loading a "suggestion" instead...

Make your search using "quotes" (even around one word) - this stops the search engine from second guessing and suggesting alternate terms

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 11:59:25 PM »
Thanks Llama, I'll have to remember my th po an & to.

There are all these posts with people looking for help so I had to try and find an answer. It's not a search I've ever tried to do before. Even a 10km search from my postcode gives 20,000 results!

I had to use the "quotes" today. I was searching for a coffee table choc (as in chocolate colour) and it kept telling me I wanted coffee table chic!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 11:02:11 PM »
Some of the suggestions the new search offered me were beyond ludicrous. I have found I have to put everything into quotation marks just as Llama mentioned. I'm also not very patient when it comes to re-loading the results just because I refine the search...

It takes so long to get a worldwide search result including shop inventory. When what I want is the item - I don't care whether it's in Timbuktoo or next door, whether it's newly listed, whether a Powerseller is offering it, whether it's new or second-hand, whether it's available for auction or for BIN - then... obviously... what I want is the item! I don't care how! Where! When! Who! Why!

:ebay: :o :throwpc: :hearnoevil:
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 11:07:29 PM »
Yes, Countess, it is so slow when using Advanced Search as it refreshes each time you add another search filter.

I just read on the AU boards that you can actually use a full stop as a wild card to search all listings in all categories, no other letters or * needed. Why don't eBay put that in their help section? Seems a lot of people are getting frustrated as they like to search all listings in their local area.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 11:09:12 PM »
Have you experimented with that yet, Wheels? I suppose we really need to write up a "How to Survive in the Wilderness of the New Search" manual.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 11:11:04 PM »
Yes, it works. You would think that eBay would have stuck with the standard *.* to search all.

<edit 3/5> as pointed out by da-ewok, the full stop only returns one page of results. So it's back to Llama's combination of multiple filters.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 11:29:47 PM »
there is a good third party search engine for ebay which allows you to accurately search and its called auctionsieve, if you do a google on that it is pretty awesome and allows worldwide specific ebay searches especially when you do advanced searches imo

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 10:16:38 AM »
Very interesting - just did some experimentation

(please note that _ signifies a space)

_a_* - will bring up approx 30,000 items - and moves to the second page of the search
_._*  - brings up nothing :(
.       - brings up 1,406,800 items but will NOT move onto the second page of the search
_-_*  - brings up nothing :(
the    - brings up 66,585 items - and moves to the second page of the search

with the "include title and description" box ticked
_a_* - will bring up approx 1,082,779 items - and now tells me that the search is invalid for the 2nd page
_._*  - brings up nothing :(
.       - brings up nothing
_-_*  - brings up nothing :(
the    - brings up 1,160,077 items - and moves to the second page of the search

So the search is stuffed to the best of my knowledge - tick one more box and you get nothing - whereas previously you got something
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 10:30:31 AM »
There are currently 1,406,455 items listed

In Advanced Search
Any words, any order
search including Title and Description

(th*,po*,to*) 1,351,588 results

When I try to add more than three wildcard filters it returns 0

gr8-expectations

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 10:40:44 AM »
lol ewok, do you mean auctionsieve?

well where i find it good, and happy to admit no search expert here, is when i am looking for a rare title in a book, the specific searches usually where i know exactly what i am looking for and can provide detailed info, brings up items on ebay internationally that dont come up on the ebay searches, seems as you say though it is not useful for basic searches, apols.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 10:44:54 AM »
lol ewok, do you mean auctionsieve?

well where i find it good, and happy to admit no search expert here, is when i am looking for a rare title in a book, the specific searches usually where i know exactly what i am looking for and can provide detailed info, brings up items on ebay internationally that dont come up on the ebay searches, seems as you say though it is not useful for basic searches, apols.

I agree - IF you are looking for something specific you can find it easily on Ebay - all you need to do is put in 1/2 the title and you find it - BUT - for me - I like to browse and see IF there is anything I MIGHT be interested in and then bid accordingly - sometimes with seconds to spare

Now - it is incredibly difficult to do so - simply because I am not seeing the WHOLE range available to me and I feel cheated.

Auctionsieve - never heard of that one :(

I just get the feeling that ebay have grown too big for their boots and until they wake up - they will miss out on a LOT of online money because of their attitude :(

What more can I say - I miss the old ebay (the seraches and listings and variety)

Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 11:21:42 AM »
I'm going to have a bit of a play with Auctionsieve and see whether that helps.

cosmo

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 10:08:55 PM »
Yay, thanks for the tips  ;D

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 10:42:18 PM »
I have been searching for a coffee table on eBay for the past few weeks. I've just noticed the following message appearing at the start of the listings. Nothing like eBay finding more ways to send buyers off-site!

Are you looking for... coffee table for sale locally on Gumtree classifieds?

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 10:44:27 PM »
Gumtree is owned by ebay :(

They want to own the world for which you will only be able to pay by paypal :(

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Why doesn't eBay make a FAQs page to help people with the 'new search'? This is the answer I posted for a couple of questions tonight on AAM.

Are you trying to search all listings in all categories?

eBay no longer has a global wildcard that you can use in the search to give you a result.

Using a . or $ shows all listings but you can only see the details of the items on the first page. If you click to go to the 2nd page you are taken back to the category summary.

Seems the only way to find the maximum number of listings if you want to search all items in all categories is to use Advanced Search and list as many words possible, or use part words (min 2 letters) followed by *.

You need to think of any and all words that may be included in the listings you are looking for.

Separate the words with commas, no spaces, and surround the lot with brackets.

Select 'Any words, Any order' and tick 'Include Title and Description'.

eg. Using the following in a search returns in excess of 99.7% of the listings, but still not 100%!
(th*,po*,a,and,at,condition,has,in,is,on,of,off,or,for,from,has,new,old,on,paypal,pick,up,to,was,where,when,will,with,%,$,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0)

Enter your distance filters.

Once you get the results you're looking for make sure you save your search!

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/search/search-commands.html

A lot of fiddling, when they could have included a standard wildcard for 'search all' as part of the new search.

'eBay's improved search experience' should make it easier to find items, not more difficult!

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 10:48:02 PM »
unfortunately whenever ebay 'improve' things - it is guaranteed to do the opposite

Been proven time and time again - the only thing they improve is their bottom line :(

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 10:48:39 PM »
I've noticed that on GumTree there is no buyer protection and no compulsory payment method, it is still like the old trading post and classifieds.

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 10:51:18 PM »
I've noticed that on GumTree there is no buyer protection and no compulsory payment method, it is still like the old trading post and classifieds.

At the moment - it is th wold west of ebay/paypal kingdoms - they will reign them in - ONCE they finish mucking with EB/PP - until then it will remain the wild west

Gumtree is good for advertsing - but not much else - I would NEVER sell anything there  and doubt I would buy something either - far too many scams - do a search on boats and computers and watch the warnings coming up from other buyers :(

Sad but true

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 02:03:05 PM »
When asking eBay for assistance with 'search all' in the new search experience this is the cut and paste answer you get:

You can search for the following, including the brackets:
(or,and,of,is,I,if,at,where,when), and tick the search title & description box . This will find all listings with a description which included one or more of the words in brackets, i.e. pretty much every listing.

Finally, you can leave your feedback on the new search here aucategory@ebay.com

pretty much every listing ?!

At time of this post the number of listings returned when you search using . = 1,591,753
Using an extensive list of key search words and numbers as listed in post #17 above = 1,587,493   99.7%
Using eBay's recommendation to get "pretty much every listing" = 1,505,698    94.5%

I feel sorry for the sellers who must be having reduced bidders and/or sales amounts because buyers can't find their items.

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 02:14:27 PM »
Simple laws of nature..

For every life enhancement, there is an equal and opposite eBay reaction.

:wine:
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??