Author Topic: where is ebay headed for collectables sellers ???? best match really does suck  (Read 4941 times)

wyzeguy60

I think I know the answer and it is not pretty at all.

I have done an analysis of my last 30 days of sales & not sold and a disturbing trend has developed. I used to always auction items but of late have tried to utilise the best match feature and aim for Buy It Now items.

Some general info beforehand will help. I used to get a 99.4 % sold rate through auction prior to best match.
After best match this dropped to 81% auction style.

After going to best match and using BIN format it has dropped to a lousy 52.44 %.

Now I am no genius but to me a sell rate of 52.44% then subsequent relist and possible 3rd relist is tantamount to demise as a seller. The worst bit is that ebay cannot lose as each relist or non sale still results in ebay getting their cut.

It is impossible to master best match as a seller of collectables as each item is usually unique whereas best match relies on volume sales of like items using best price, low postage and a combination of feedback, DSR's and star ratings.
Individual / unique items can be listed ad infinitum but won't even be seen by the majority of buyers due to best match positioning.

I have experimented with features such as using keywords, highlights and specifics and my items are still not showing on first page. Obviously the item finishes before the buyer even gets to see it.

more to follow ...........

PS - I sell under juddernauts on ebay. My stars average 4.97, I have never had a dispute raised, I have never had a neutral or neg. This still does not postion me above somebody with 98% feedback and 4.6 stars. I find this all very bewildering.

gr8-expectations

your ads look excellent wyzee and nice photography, thats a very good sell through rate prior, amazing in fact you must keep your prices very competitive and great quality to be able to do that agree with your comments above and yes very perplexing the whole thing, does not auger well for future

wyzeguy60

thanks gr8 - appreciate your comments.

would love to hear what other sellers of collectables think of best match.

I know that confidence in buyers is a large factor in end prices ( scams, fakes etc ) and I know people are spending less due to economic factors

But I do think best match was conceived purely and simply to aid volume sellers. If this is the case then the one off or occasional seller of collectables is surely doomed.

PS - a certain coin seller ( respected ) has almost all of his listings near top of page one in search. All are buy it now and all have more than 10 available. This is where volume positions you. If you only have one item you will be positioned way down the page or worse still - 10 pages back.

Most sellers of collectables don't have multiple similar items to sell so will never reach the front of the search page.

yours sincerely ( the thread killer )

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
would love to hear what other sellers of collectables think of best match.
But I do think best match was conceived purely and simply to aid volume sellers. If this is the case then the one off or occasional seller of collectables is surely doomed.
PS - a certain ..... has almost all of his listings near top of page one in search
Hi W,
Yes not just collectables but all S/H smaller sellers are being pushed out. Best match is about what makes money for ebay. Even ebay admits in its own spin the smart buyer is at Amazon or direct with internet retailer. My average Buyer gets dumber every year. Ebay has to spoon feed mr & ms dumb with an outcomes based education.
You can manipulate the e$bay system to come in tops with Best mismatch I can PM you if you want. You are breaking e$bay rules though. My quess is your certain seller is, only way to stay on top without making a loss.

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
A closer look at the best Match Algorithm and listing visibility factors. (Make sure you are channelling Albert Einstein)

http://www.auctioninsights.info/decoding-ebays-best-match.html

They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Am I supposed to read all that?
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

Liisa-Sx

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Were you channelling Albert at the time Tello, if not it would be redundant if you read it, decoding the dead sea scrolls would have been an easier task lol
They said there would be cake....and there WAS!

wyzeguy60

thanks guys and girls for your advice / help etc.

it appears as though this is a long uphill road with an empty tank.

Sell through rate has now dropped to 48.25% and it is clearly evident it is now time to pull the pin.

Thanks shyer for your input - if I continue selling I will PM you, cheers