Author Topic: Ultimate Guides magazine - current edition - eBay 2009  (Read 13201 times)

Father Jack

Ultimate Guides magazine - current edition - eBay 2009
« on: April 28, 2009, 04:57:42 PM »
Picked up a copy at the newsagent this morning (published by Derwent Howard in Australia http://www.derwenthoward.com.au/publishing.htm ).  This month's edition is devoted to eBay - 146 pages of tips for the princely sum of $14.95

From the back cover:

HUNDREDS OF EXPERT TIPS TO SAVE YOU $$$!  Including these must-read sections:

Why use eBay? * Pros and Cons * eBay policy changes * Tools to eBay better * Creating your account * Understanding PayPal * Starting Selling * The secrets to a great listing * What extras are worth paying for? * Getting the right image to help you sell * Photo mistakes to avoid * Why feedback matters * Ten eBay scams to be aware of * Setting up an eBay shop * Increasing your sales * Hints to find your dream items * Alternatives to PayPal * Buying and Searching tools * Sniping tools * Management software * Website reviews

Seven chapters: The Success of eBay - Getting Started - Selling - Advanced Selling - Buying Through eBay - Using PayPal - Reviews

The upside is that being an independant publication, it's an objective view with pros and cons rather than the company line e.g. four pages are devoted to problems with PayPal.

The downside is that it appears to be an Australianised version of a UK magazine and there are a few instances where it hasn't translated well e.g. Moneybookers is suggested as an eBay compatible payment option, while there is no mention of PayMate.

Still, it's well worth a read even for the seasoned seller or buyer. 

mtnlane

Re: Ultimate Guides magazine - current edition - eBay 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »
Feck - does it give any information on where they sourced of all this information?  Any attributions to any eBayers we might recognise?

Father Jack

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 05:15:07 PM »
There's a list of twelve contributors on the back page, mtnlane.  None recognisable, nor any eBay Australia staff to the best of my reasonable knowledge.

There's a case study on successful UK seller drstevew and his ebay store Retrowarez, but no Aus sellers.

mtnlane

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 05:16:46 PM »
Thanks Feck :)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:23:17 PM »
That sounds like a useful magazine to some extent at least (even if it doesn't mention some things it should). New sellers could at least get some clear information about the pitfalls and best methods.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Father Jack

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »
That sounds like a useful magazine to some extent at least (even if it doesn't mention some things it should). New sellers could at least get some clear information about the pitfalls and best methods.

Old sellers too, Countess (and I don't mean the geriatric ones  ;D )

I've picked up a few pearls in the Advanced Selling section.