The Oz Round Table boards > PayPal

Are your credit card details safe with PayPal?

(1/2) > >>

trishreid:
I have never liked Paypal and I hate the way eBay has forced it on us and for these two reasons alone I hate to use it.

I have also read a lot on the old RT boards regarding the safety of your personal information eg credit details.
How safe is it to have your details on file with Paypal?

Specifically one off credit card payments?
I ordered a photo book online with Big W and their only method of payment is via credit card through Paypal.

On principal I don't want to use it, but if I have to, how safe is it?

Many thanks in advance.

regulus*:
Hi Trish,

I have used paypal with my credit card for a few years now and have not had a problem.

I find paypal easy to use and great for international buying.

col52:
Hello trishreid and

Whilst I have used Paypal without problem (buying/paying anyway), there is always a risk. Their server was hacked around 2 years ago by someone who had a real gripe with ebay - he is in prison now I believe.

Paypal is not as perfect as ebay would have all believe. I personally prefer Paymate or a merchant account (that's where a website has it's own system via an Australian bank)

col52:
I wonder why Big W is using Paypal, considering they are also using ANZ eGateway. Why don't they have the two options separated to allow choice?

night-hawk-1:
I personally do not trust them to have my credit card details.

I also am not happy that their dispute resolution process mentions nothing about our legal rights of resolution from our Financial Ombudsman

Or that they refuse to be party to the  Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Code of Conduct that all Australian financial organisations are party to.

This I feel could leave Paypal customer in more than a little trouble if things go pear shaped.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version