Author Topic: eBay versus Amazon  (Read 23760 times)

col52

eBay versus Amazon
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:49:46 AM »
Ebay's position: eBay reported financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2009, posting revenue of $2.02 billion, a $171.6 million year-over-year decrease it said was caused "primarily by the impact of the stronger dollar and the decline of the core Marketplaces business in difficult macroeconomic conditions."

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y09/m04/i23/s01

Amazon's position: Amazon.com announced financial results for its first quarter ended March 31, 2009. Net sales increased 18% to $4.89 billion in the first quarter year-over-year, and net income increased 24% to $177 million. Worldwide unit growth was 30%. Active customer count exceeded 91 million, up 16%. Worldwide active seller accounts were more than 1.6 million, up 19%. Third-party seller units were 32% of total units versus 30%. Worldwide gross profit was $1.15 billion, up 20%.
Items shipped on behalf of sellers who utilized Fulfillment by Amazon increased by more than 300% from the prior year.

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y09/m04/i24/s01

What do you think?

As far as my opinion goes, ebay is losing a lot of traffic, buyers and sellers. Many Americans are "moving over" to Amazon, as well as some other countries.

Unfortunately, we do not have an AU Amazon, I have asked them several times if they will be "coming over here", they said not at this stage - but if they saw (& heard) interest, they would re-think.

Did647

Re: eBay versus Amazon
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »
I think the figures speak for themselves.  ;D

I'm not sure i want Amazon, but it would be wonderful to have a genuine alternative to Ebay. 

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:14:52 PM »
In my opinion, eBay should return to the focus it had originally. That's fathoms away from Amazon's focus, and I think it would be eBay's strength.

Any market forecasters here? What are some of the business strategies that eBay could undertake to climb again?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Numb!

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:43:49 PM »
On the .ca boards:  http://forums.ebay.ca/topic/Canada-Town-Square/Question-For-Ebays/600031273

This was a hot topic on the U.S. boards a year or more ago.  I (and many, many others) openly stated I would not buy new items on eBay, but only from established retailers.  Part of it was a trust issue based on scamming sellers, but the bigger issue was warranties.  Some companies flat out exclude on-line auction sites stating that warranties will NOT be honored on items bought on those sites.

eBay grew wildly while the focus was on individual sellers selling whatever they had laying around, the more odd or rare, the better.  You could find things on eBay that could not be found anywhere else (collectibles, antiques, old-stock).  Only a few sellers might have any certain item, and any one seller might have a dozen or so items listed at any time, always different each week.

Now, you have a zillion sellers all listing exactly the same items, hundreds of listings at a time.  The uniqueness is gone.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:59:29 PM »
Afternoon all. I have bought a number of items (books) from Amazon but nothing in recent times. I found Amazon to be very reliable (the sellers).

I was always very careful buying new items from Ebay sellers, not because I don't trust them but, in the archery game for example, many bow manufactures explicitly state warranty not valid for internet purchases. Many warranty forms require the retailers details.

This is something to be mindful of when considering a purchase of expensive items over the internet.

patcher

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 06:23:33 PM »
ubbrd or anyone for that matter, how do you find the postage rates from Amazon and how difficult is it to buy from there being that we are in Australia.

I'm interested in anyone's experiences. I have been tempted many times to purchase books (sorry booksellers) and dvd's but never have, just seemed a bit to much trouble.

PS. the books can't be had in Aus. LOL.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
G'day Patcher. It's not difficult at all. Just find the Amazon web site type in your category & search. I just pay using my Visa card. I've never had any problems.

the books I have bought, even with post cost from the USA have been much cheaper than here. Some of the books I got (Fly tying) can't even be found here. 

patcher

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 06:32:33 PM »
Thanks Ubbrd,

I have a Visa so that is step one sorted out, LOL. I was actually looking at something today on Amazon, might have to lash out and try it. Hahahaha.

Oh, do they take Paypal.  I have that as well. :rofl:

Bunny

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 06:37:10 PM »
Never bought on amazon, I have been true to ebay  :P :tazdev:

mtnlane

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 07:06:33 PM »
ubbrd - was just looking at amazon for some text books I need and which are not available in Australia or on ebay.  Can you give me any rough indication of the length of time (in your experience) they take to get to oz?  Sounds like a silly question I guess but time is of the essence for me so am seeking your input from experience.  Many thanks

col52

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 07:21:38 PM »
What are some of the business strategies that eBay could undertake to climb again?

Get decent, genuine and honest staff for a start!
Second, offer real customer service and support.
Third, actually value their customers (the sellers).

Did647

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 07:58:32 PM »
What are some of the business strategies that eBay could undertake to climb again?

Well, It would be nice to be treated like a sentient being :D

regulus*

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 08:12:45 PM »
Laney,

I have bought books from Amazon before and the time to send will vary. My last purchase was the middle of last year and it took nearly a month. Therefore, ask how long delivery will be before you buy, if time is important.

col52

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 08:22:07 PM »
ubbrd or anyone for that matter, how do you find the postage rates from Amazon and how difficult is it to buy from there being that we are in Australia.

I'm interested in anyone's experiences. I have been tempted many times to purchase books (sorry booksellers) and dvd's but never have, just seemed a bit to much trouble.

PS. the books can't be had in Aus. LOL.

The only downside I know is that purchases - even from the same merchant - cannot be combined, so there is a postal cost per transaction (item). I've bought a few things without any problem.

I am also considering selling on Amazon UK as I still have a UK bank account.

Numb!

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 08:24:49 PM »
I've been buying quite a bit from Amazon recently.  Quick, easy, usually FREE shipping, even on big items if you're patient enough.  Bought some DVDs recently that arrived in less than a week.

'Course they didn't have to go to the other end of the Earth either. :green:

Numb!

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 08:28:46 PM »
The only downside I know is that purchases - even from the same merchant - cannot be combined, so there is a postal cost per transaction (item).

No, that's not true.  At least not in my case.  I've bought several things from different sellers on one Shopping Cart Checkout.  You pay a shipping charge to each seller, but multiple items from each seller are combined and discounted.  Sometimes the postage is only charged on the first item from each seller and additional items in the same shipment are shipped free.

col52

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 09:14:28 PM »
Is the USA site "rules" different to the UK one, Numb?

I was looking at some things last night on the UK site and this is what is says about delivery:

As Marketplace orders are dispatched from different individual sellers, you pay a separate delivery charge for each item you order. This is the case even if you order a number of items from the same seller at the same time. Therefore, to calculate the total delivery charge, add together the appropriate delivery rates for each item.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/seller/shipping.html/ref=olp_merch_ship_3?ie=UTF8&asin=B00006JXYY&seller=A1FJSLLD4SYFLX

Numb!

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 09:17:39 PM »
I don't know.  I just load everything into the shopping cart and only see one shipping charge per seller which is less than the total of the items individually.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hy_f_3?ie=UTF8&nodeId=468520

col52

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 09:37:50 PM »
Ah, there is a difference. I think yours have been purchases from Amazon, not merchants on Amazon. Amazon in USA does offer combined, merchants not:

Rates are based on shipping a single item. Purchasing multiple items results in multiple shipping charges--there are no "per shipment" and "per item" charges, as there are when you buy directly from Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/shipping.html/ref=olp_merch_ship_3?ie=UTF8&asin=B00067FGO2&seller=A1MSHKP33DCC6

mtnlane

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 09:41:25 PM »
Thanks Nova - time is a problem for me so I might have to look for other texts since I have little time to meet a deadline

sevenmurphys

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 11:00:20 PM »
mtn when you go through checkout on Amazon you can pick what type of delivery you want - there is an express option  which can be pricey but depending on what you are purchasing sometimes it still works out cheaper than some Aussie sites and you will have your item in 3to 5 days. We order from Amazon very regularly (about once a month) and usually opt for the 2nd fastest shipping which takes about 10 days to arrive here.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 12:27:12 AM »
G'day Laney.

I apologise for not getting back to you earlier. Sevenmurphy's has got your question covered. I generally choose the cheapest (Air) delivery method. They drop ship at times as I have had books come direct from Singapore. I don't care as they all get here.

Subject to availability it generally takes a couple of weeks, sometimes quicker & occasionally a bit longer.

Fluffy*Duckee

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 01:20:50 AM »
Hmm Amazon Vs Ebay for Australians?

I spent thousands of dollars on Amazon last year, so I have had quite a bit of experience with it.

Ebay 

Well I find it great to sell on and I only sell within Australia.  Buy?  I tend to only go for bargains, which are usually second hand, but occasionally new.  I find the prices in general are cheaper on ebay.  It is great being able to buy and pay for things from anywhere world.  If something goes astray in the post there are processes that ebay and Paypal have set in place that help, but I'd have to say, as both a buyer and seller, when things go wrong, I really do have my heart in my mouth.  The information I gained from accessing the old Australian RT until it's demise, really helped with that by educating me in the correct timelines, processes and procedures for Ebay and Paypal.

Amazon

With the $ the way it is you may not want to buy from the US, but should you do, here's how to do it.  I have also bought DVD's from Amazon UK and found this quite good and shipping quick and cheap.

Amazon is great for buying new items.  They often have good specials and I use them for those things you just can't get in Aus such as kids toys, clothes etc.  this was fantastic when the AUS $ was neck and neck with the US$.  My spending has slowed down now, because of the weak Aussie $ and also because I bought most things I wanted last year.

The items that can be bought from Amazon and shipped to Australia are normally limited to items such as DVD's and books and a select few other things because they will not ship outside the US for most items.

If you really want to get around this, as I did last year when I bought clothes, shoes, jewellery, excerise equipment, electronics, health products and the like, you will have to buy or use an American address.  There are a few different places that offer this.  Two examples are:

For once only shipping from the US, try https://www.vpostasia.com/australia/index.html.  It costs nothing to join and they they take Paypal and charge you in Singaphore $,  They don't combine parcels.  The parcels are shipped to Australia via Singapore and are totally trackable the whole way.  Be aware that going through Singapore may make the items eligible for Singapore GST and the eligibility cut-in point for this is approx $275 US.  This has never been an issue for me as the items I have bought have been worth less than this and because they don't combine parcels, the cost doesn't mount up.  I only use this option to avoid American taxes.  For example, if I buy from Macys and ship it to my address in Florida, I am subject to sales tax.  If I ship it to vpostasia, I ship to Oregan and avoid the tax. 

I also have an address at Access USA which is in Florida and this is my main one.  They have different types of memberships and my one allows me to receive letters, magazines and parcels and these parcels are combined to save on shipping costs.  They also allow you to receive parcels for friends and family if you register their name. For parcels only, adding others to your account is free, if you receive mail as well, there is a small yearly charge.  You can also buy a US phone number with an answering machine if you wish as well.  This is not the only company that is set up to do this, but it is the one that has been around the longest and I have had no trouble with them.  They will also buy things from the US for you with their credit card for a fee.  For example, many companies such as Bobbi Brown will not take Australian credit cards.  I have asked Access USA to buy a great deal offered to me (I get emails with specials).  I sent them the email I received with the special deal and link in it and they buy the products on my behalf.  I haven't done this recently with the AUS $ being low, but when it was neck and neck, it was great.

Not super cheap, but I certainly have found it useful when I have needed to use it.
http://www.myus.com/index.shtml will link to their front page.

Different membership options can be viewed at http://myus2.myus.com/Memberships.aspx 

They notify you when your items arrive and you can see them held online at any time. You can select to send all or a portion of the items in your mailbox.

You send all the items your have purchased to this address and they then combine all your purchases into one box and ship the box to you when you request it.  I buy basic toiletries that I can't get here, get them on special and ship them over together.  The shipping is couriered to your door and I get mine sent to my workplace.

So how do you return items I hear you say.  What if something goes wrong?

I've had three 'awkward' experiences with buying things from Amazon. and hundreds of good ones.

1.  I bought necklace set with a diamond from Amazon, but via a third party seller called Ice.com.  When it arrived, it didn't sit properly and was much smaller than the picture shown on Amazon.  I contacted Ice, and they asked me to return it to them and they would pay the postage back.  Did this, Ice refunded my money (original postage within the US was free) via Amazon back onto my creditcard.  They then me sent a check for $18.00 US to my Australian home address.  I paid $18.00 Australian for postage with tracking, so I would have made a profit, except the bank charged me a lodgment fee.

2.  I bought a DVD that came straight to my Australian address.  Other DVD's I bought arrived no problem, but not this one.  Contacted Amazon customer service, they sent another one priority post, no charge straight away.  Two arrived at once.  Contact online Amazon customer service (they also have a phone number if you want to ring it).  They told me to keep both.

3.  I bought a beautiful necklace for my niece for her 21st birthday.  When it arrived, it was missing a small diamond.  Contacted Amazon and they refunded all my money and told me to keep it and put the money towards getting another little stone put int it.  It was $350.00 US and it cost me $100.00 AUS to get it fixed.  My niece loves it.

With Amazon, anything I have sent across the US is totally trackable.  To Australia with items coming direct such as DVD's and books, it isn't.  You can see an easy history of all your purchases and print invoices whenever you want.  They also have a fantastic way for you to contact the seller if you need to.  This is done via a sales history and a link to the seller's email pops up automatically.  You send your question and they get back to you. When your items is shipped, you are automatically notified.  If within the US a tracking number is sent.  The tracking number also appears on your buying history, so from one page, you can just click and see where any parcel is at any given time (If within the US).

Be aware you can only bring up to $1000 Australian worth of goods into the country at any one time and you are not supposd to bring things in for resale. This $ amount is calculated by Australian customs on the day the parcel leaves the US.  For example, the AUS $ was up until the middle of last year.  I had bought about $920 of US ($980 AUS at the time) valued items.  I had no idea that AUS $ was going to drop, but decided it was time to ship my stuff as it was getting close to the cutoff.  I requested that it be shipped.  That day the AUS $ started to slip, making my shipment worth $995.00 Australian.  It took a couple of days to reach me and by the time it reached me, the AUS $ had fallen to .85, so my shipment worth was well over $1000.  I did not have to pay any tax, however because customs calculated the worth at the day it left.  They did ask for copies of my invoices as it was so close and they do not normally do this.  This was which was easy, as through Amazon you can reproduce the invoices at any time.  Also be aware that if you split the parcels to keep the worth down, do not send them at the same time.  Customs considers different parcels coming from the same seller/forwarding company to be of the same order and will still calculate the full cost if they pick up that there are two.

Amazon will quote you the price in Australian $ at checkout if you wish and you have an Australian credit card and they will then charge your card in Australian $, with a small inbuilt fee, so you don't have to pay your bank the exchange rate fees.  This is optional and you can choose to be charged in US $.

You can buy 2 day shipping for a year from Amazon for all Amazon products for $75.00 US per year, so your items move very quickly across the US and there is less risk of damage.  Without buying this shipping option, Amazon offers free shipping if you buy over a certain amount anyway.  It just takes a week to get to the destination and it can be fun watching it travel across the US.  This free shipping doesn't include items from external sellers such as Macys who sell through Amazon.  However, they often have specials on shipping quite often and I rarely have had to pay for it, it I wait for the specials.

The feedback system at Amazon is fantastic.  You get to supply feedback on all sellers external to Amazon, but can also provide and review feedback on the items you buy or even if you haven't bought the product from Amazon.  This is most helpful.  Some products get many feedbacks and these feedbacks can tell you how someone else found the product, good or bad, how often they use it, what they like most about it, and other valuable advice.  Other Amazon users rate how valuable this feedback or advice is and so people often stive to provide well thought out feedback. This can be handy even if you choose to buy the product from Australia.

It's all horses for courses, but for those things that are so available to the American public that we can't get and aren't too heavy to ship, it can be a good option.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 10:07:41 AM »
Wow, thank you Fluffy for sharing your experiences. I have often looked and been tempted to buy but have never made a purchase. I must go have a look now.

patcher

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 10:21:52 AM »
Thanks Fluffy and others, very interesting indeed, wandering back to Amazon as I type. LOL.

col52

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 12:02:42 PM »
Some interesting, and mainly encouraging information (towards Amazon), thank you!

brumbymg

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 03:56:36 PM »
I personally have only ordered a couple of ebooks from Amazon for a friend (The stories were not available in print.) and it was all pretty straightforward and went well. Copyright was covered too.

I have a friend who has ordered Yu-Gi-Oh manchester, DVDs and several other items and hasn't had any problems either.

These experiences, plus the opinions above, would make me comfortable buying from Amazon - but I would still be hesitant about items where high value and/or warranty considerations come into the equation.

Fluffy*Duckee

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 04:04:43 PM »
Agree Brumby.  If you buy electronics, the warranties usually do not translate to Australia.  Having said that I bought some really cool external sound reducing headphones for about a 1/4 of the cost shipped (AUS $ was up).  They are fantastic and I am wearing them as I type.  (I use them at work when I want to concentrate).  For me it was a balance of the saving compared to the lack of a warranty. 

brumbymg

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
Know what you mean Fluffy.  I would have the same financial view - but I apply the logic of:

'No warranty' on item that dies = write-off. Am I comfortable with that?

If I answer 'Yes' then the purchase is considered. If 'No', 'Not sure' or any other hesitation, I move on.

mtnlane

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 04:48:30 PM »
Thank you so much for all your informative replies.  I am sure others will welcome the information also  ;D

Fluffy*Duckee

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »
Well said Brumby!!  That is exactly what I was meaning.  Thank you.  Warranties do not exist for electronics.  I do have one qualification though.  Amazon from my experience and I am certainly not pro Amazon - I'll buy from anyone who gives me the best deal - isn't just a venue.  They do take responsibility for products sold by them even if they are sold from a third party.  As such as long as you can return an item, you should get your money back as long as it is promptly returned.  This is a nuisance from Australia, but it is something that I have done when I've had to, but have not needed to with an electronic item.

regulus*

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 10:30:03 PM »
Has anyone bought from fishpond? If so, what was your experience?

gr8-expectations

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 10:43:23 PM »
if anyone is buying books from overseas, the best site to use and the major libraries here use it for this reason is www.bookfinder.com, it shows you prices including freight to australia in aus $ and usually the prices for freight are VERY good.

if anyone wants help buying books i am happy to assist with some advice on where to get them cheaply for specific titles

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 11:54:52 PM »
Boy!  Some great info on this thread! :o

Fluffy...you have outdone yourself and proven you aren't just a cute little yellow fluffy thing..lol

BUT!  Does Amazon have a Member's Forum? 

If they do...maybe we could invade it one day! :green:

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 11:58:47 PM »
HI Roo.  It is so great to see you on this forum.  It wouldn't be the same without you.

No, Amazon doesn't have a forum as such.  They do have discussion threads, but they are about nothing interesting and take months to move at all.  They are related to an actual product rather than swapping help or info or just having fun, as we all like to do.
:duckling:

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 12:16:50 AM »
It's good to be around here too Fluffy.. :D

But it's hard not to keep looking over my shoulder and waiting for the Barbs..lol :filenails:

Shame about the Amazon forums though....we could have had fun...lol :evil:

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 12:30:09 AM »
Well I have no doubt that dear old Sharp Barb lurks around here just wishing she could vomit some vitrol on us all, but can't.  It must be building up something shocking.  I hope she doesn't explode.  Her nails are probably in bad shape too because her fav habit of filing in the presence of RT'bers cannot be fulfilled and it just wouldn't be the same filing them by herself at home without an audience. 

:duckling:

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 12:47:16 AM »
Well....she will just have to vomit her vitriol like the rest of us now..lol

:sick:

Hiya Babs! :welcomedesk: I know your'e watching..lol :neener:

ambercat

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 10:24:49 PM »
Has anyone bought from fishpond? If so, what was your experience?

Hi Nova

I've bought from Fishpond several times with no hassles.  They have a deal where if you spend over $50.00 postage is free which I like (it's an excuse to buy even more books LOL).  Books are often shipped from NZ.  If you order more than one book they often arrive separately as theydon't wait until all are available before they send.  If there is going to be a delay, I have always been emailed (although I have heard others complain about not being advised of delays).

Price wise, for latest releases and stuff, they are cheaper than the bookshops but not as cheap as BigW or KMart.  For publications not available yet in Oz they get their supplies from US and UK.  I'm happy to recommend them.

For more hard to get stuff and out of print books, ABE is another option you could try.

regulus*

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 01:42:53 PM »
Hi Ambercat,

Thanks for the information. The free postage is good to know about.