Author Topic: Paypal fees - how do I calculate them  (Read 8186 times)

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
Paypal fees - how do I calculate them
« on: January 26, 2010, 04:10:57 AM »
Hi,  I have checked the paypal website and still cant figure it out, so hopefully someone here can.

I want to sell somethings and get paid by paypal (a private sale).  I will mainly be selling to the USA but will ask to be paid in AU$.

I will be selling the items for $10 US$ each - probably about 10 of them.

I only have the basic paypal account - private use I think.

I want to do this as cheaply as possible, so any hints would be great - Is it best for me to "request money" or just let them send it?

What would the fees be on each transaction (dont worry about the exchange rate charges - as I think they will be charged for that anyway)

Thanks you paypal wizards

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Paypal fees - how do I calculate them
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:47:15 AM »
MM paypal fees will be 30c australian per transaction plus 2.4% of the value of the transaction (this includes postage costs ... it goes on total $$$ value of the transaction ) so lets say total transaction is A$20 fees will be .48c + .30c = . 78c ... now on top of that if you wish to transfer any paid money into your actual bank then it will cost you an extra $1 if you are transferring less than $150 .... over $150 you dont pay the $1...

If these transactions were through a site like eBay you would not need to request money , the buyer would just pay 
but you mentioned that these transactions would be private sale ? ie not through ebay ? so how you receive or request money or get paid depends on how you set up the sale

Hope this helps

low-enghooi

• Knight of the RT
Re: Paypal fees - how do I calculate them
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
I only have the basic paypal account - private use I think.

Sorry Smee.

Unless things have changed, otherwise if basic paypal account = personal account, Jane you only can receive money from the sender's paypal balance. You will get full amount paid in your paypal. No fees.

You will need to upgrade to premier/business account to receive payment funded via credit card, and the fees is as explained by Smee.