Author Topic: Paypal scam warning  (Read 10213 times)

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
Paypal scam warning
« on: January 06, 2010, 09:37:32 AM »
If you log in to my105.com (a racing car sales site) you will see a warning for a Paypal scam...

Worth a read....

Hhhmmm. my105.com is offline at the moment (just checked)

:wine:
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
Re: Paypal scam warning
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »
my105.com is still down...

But the scam is... ( and bear in mind some of these racing cars are well over $100,000)

Scammer buys car and pays with paypal...

Immediately notifies seller that he has overpaid the freight (can be thousands) and please credit the amount to buyer bank account....

Because the purchase is bogus the paypal deal never goes through, and if the seller "refunds" freight "overpayment", he loses....

Scammer here is relying on Paypal to be slow in their processing of the transaction (which apparently, they are)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 06:02:02 PM »
That's a nasty little game, Barny.

Ugh.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »

Scammer here is relying on Paypal to be slow in their processing of the transaction (which apparently, they are)

Sorry , Im a bit slow ..why would someone refund part payment that wasnt cleared ?

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:39:35 PM »
I dunno Smee... You ,me and other careful peeps would not...

Anyway, my105.com is back up if you want to have a read of how it works...

surf-inside

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 12:07:17 AM »
My thoughts exactly, until a payment clears you don't do anything. 

I made a mistake once (yes, once) buyer bought an expensive Ipod from me, then emails me and says he made a mistake and thought he was buying an Iphone.  Overworked and underpaid, I mistakenly issued a refund before getting the Ipod back.  Buyer emails me thanking me for the free Ipod.

Paypal said they could not reverse the transaction (BS!)

So I ran to my bank and put a stop payment on the refund.  Very effective.

Buyer then files a Unauthorized Transaction dispute against me.  But by this time, the Ipod had already arrived and since I sent it Signature Required, Paypal immediately found in my favour.

Buyer then Files a SNAD against me.  But of course, I record serial numbers and have photographic evidence.  Once again Paypal found in my favor.

The buyer, now miffed at losing twice, returns the item to me with tracking, but mails it to the wrong address.  Buyer is furious that he has not only been unable to scam me, but now accepts the fact that he won't get the Ipod or his money. 

The new owner marked the item return to sender.  Buyer receives the Ipod, in disbelief, and then sends it back to me at the correct address.

I tell the buyer, 30 days have passed. but I will refund you. So I did. at $10 USD per month for one year. as punishment. and retribution. for his scandalous attempts to defraud me several times.

BOOYA!!!!

da_ewok

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
    • It Ain't Always My Life!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 12:10:10 AM »

I tell the buyer, 30 days have passed. but I will refund you. So I did. at $10 USD per month for one year. as punishment. and retribution. for his scandalous attempts to defraud me several times.

BOOYA!!!!

Love your style LOL
"I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years"

http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ $7,800 **Raised as at 22nd March 2013**
Photos by Enigma - Iphone cases too! :D http://www.redbubble.com/people/photosbyenigma

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 12:11:47 AM »
Good stuff Surf I love an incident with a fair & just ending. I'm Ubbie Max & I love Pepsi Max.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 01:08:37 AM »

BOOYA!!!!

I like this guy already.