Author Topic: Safe Buying on eBay  (Read 11387 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Safe Buying on eBay
« on: April 26, 2009, 03:30:12 AM »
It can be risky buying online, and there are some definite things to avoid in my experience and from what I've seen.

1. If you don't trust the seller absolutely, and you're purchasing a large amount, and the seller can't accept payments by credit cards, you need to be aware that eBay won't protect you if you use methods other than PayPal. You are going to have to use your good judgement and decide whether the situation warrants using PayPal. At least with PayPal, you have a way to protect yourself as long as you are aware of PayPal's and eBay's guidelines.

(That means - not for pre-sale items that contravene the PayPal requirement of goods to be shipped within 20 days; not for vehicles; not for e-products.)

2. If paying by PayPal and you feel a little dubious about it, make doubly sure of your protection - make certain your payment is by credit card rather than an e-cheque.

3. Be aware of the dispute deadlines - 45 days from purchase. Open the dispute BEFORE time runs out, and remember to escalate within 20 days if your item hasn't arrived, etc.

4. Most importantly, check the seller's feedback. Use www.toolhaus.org to check out the seller's feedback, negatives left and given for instance. See how the buyer responds to problems.

5. Take note of the stars in the DSR as well.

6. Exercise caution - if the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

If you exercise due care, you will be much safer than would otherwise be the case.

Above all, I think, try to enjoy eBay! Also take a look at other online auction venues or papers that offer auction information.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"