Author Topic: What was your best sale ever  (Read 13700 times)

Primaryaim

What was your best sale ever
« on: April 25, 2009, 01:01:29 PM »
Mine was both a fun 'find' and financially profitable sale.

I went late to a well advertised garage sale. People were browsing with arms laden.

But there was one couple, she was darting from table to table grabbing all the 'good' stuff, vintage crockery, etc. and he was kneeling on the floor near a huge pile of gathered items, arms outstretched to 'protect' their haul.   (You know the type, they grab anything that looks remotely valuable and take so long about deciding on what to keep most of the first line buyers have already left leaving the owner fewer buyers and needing to reduce price to the couple's rejects so much later in the day).

I wandered along the table and there, sitting alone and unwanted was a whale's tooth. I can only imagine no one knew what it was and even the owner didn't because when I asked the price he said $1.

I took it home, emailed a US university with a photo and description who confirmed it definitely was a whale's tooth (though I already knew this as my father worked on whaling ships in NZ and had in his possession two scrimshawed whales teeth which I remembered clearly from my childhood).

I listed it on eBay and had the most wonderful 10 days filled with enquiries from around the world from lovely buyers and a few numpties. One eBay member emailed me from a UNIVERSITY in Tasmania stating I needed to pull my listing as 'whales don't have teeth'. As you can imagine, after I finished emailing him in the politest but firmest manner he is now very aware of the dental properties of whales' mouths. How does someone get to university without knowing whales have teeth?

At the listing's end I had reaped $167 for the tooth.

It was a wonderful find. A wonderful listing. And one I have never forgotten. That was the eBay fun in the 'old' days. :)

Primaryaim

Re: What was your best sale ever
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:09:55 PM »
Great stories Imp, isn't it amazing what can be found out there. I have one third a double garage full of finds but at the moment I won't list them on a dead auction site. Here's hoping for a fast improvement!

Did647

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »
Years ago I had a stall at a market, and someone came in with a big box of old locks, they wanted $25 for it. Nobody wanted it, I was planning on replacing the deco locks on my victorian house, so I bought it. Replaced all my locks eventually [8 locks].   I cleaned the others up a  little bit, but no finishes, put them up individually on ebay. Got just under $1500 dollars.  ;D

Over the years I have a made a lot of money because people were too mean to pay. Classic, a really passionate radio restorer died and his wife wanted to sell everything in his collection including, books, spare parts, valve testers etc. . She approached other radio restorers , wanting $1000 the lot. I made so many thousands off that I lost count. I got more than that for the spare parts alone. A lot of it probably sold to those same restorers.  ;D

imperfect

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 03:25:58 PM »
It is Prim, you made a nice little profit on the tooth!!

I know what you mean, it is very dead out there, I have a rare bear on right now, I'm not asking a lot for him, I thought he would be snapped up right away but he is still there, I have had 2 offers and a bit of interest but no solid reaction yet...got me buggered really.

I am really hoping I can quit my job, I nearly sent my resignation in last night, I want to really give my love a go, make it my job...don't know what to do???

imperfect

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
wow didi!!!

ripper story!

Primaryaim

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »
Imp, at this time I would not hand my life to eBay :)

Didi, I know what you mean about locks. I head straight for the old tools section of garage sales as there is generally an old biscuit tin with old locks and keys in it. Keys also sell well.

The large older keys get good money but when I had a collection of less valuable keys that I did not want to throw away I just listed them as an assortment of keys expecting to get $1 but they got bid up to $30. Don't know what the other bidders wanted them for the the winner had a 'key' theme for her wedding and she was going to use them as part of that. You just never know, do you!!

Did647

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 04:01:20 PM »
I should say I am l now losing money hand over fist on things . ;D  I changed career direction and I think it will take me years to get rid of the stuff I have. No longer trade, mainly just restore.  ;D

Btw I still have a couple of hundred keys but never the one I want !!

*barny*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 04:35:29 PM »
In 2001 I bought 5 commemorative $1 coins from the Royal Mint in Canberra ( Victoria cross ).
They were $7-50 each..

In Sept 2007, I sold them on ebay for $190-00 each..

Cheers
If you try to fail, and succeed, what have you done ??

mtnlane

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »
Wow - interesting stories.

I have spent many years collecting old keys - I have a huge box of them many from the UK and Europe - my favourite being a large pair with a handwritten tag attached to it in old cursive writing saying 'Spare keys - Garden Door'  I just love the idea of having a garden door with a lock and keys - makes me feel like an old chatelaine.  If ever I decided to become a seller those are things I think would be of considerable interest.  Something holds me back though - not necessarily the current economic climate either - I guess I am just an 'old hoarder' and these things I get attached to.

There used to be a locksmith on the lower North Shore didi who had the most wonderful window display of old locks and keys - that to be was better than any dress or shoe shop window  :crazy:

col52

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »
What was your best sale ever

The one to countess..................just a little grovel there..............d'ya think it'll work?  :saint: :pray:

:praise:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 04:06:20 PM »
Well, it was a lovely buy! That jewellery always receives compliments.

Fantastic stories... I particularly like the whale tooth anecdote, and - the Chilten Bear!

Didi, it's true that sometimes potential buyers won't spend when an opportunity comes along, but end up  having to pay a great deal more.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"