Author Topic: Secrets of Success on eBay  (Read 88686 times)

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: Secrets of Success on eBay
« Reply #250 on: November 21, 2009, 01:33:53 PM »
LOL @ Tello.

SCORE!  :yess:
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #251 on: November 21, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »
Philip, you may be confusing email addresses with IP addresses.

They are different things.

Hi Countessa,

Yes, strictly speaking, what I should have said was “That’s what internet cafés are for …” and in that context I did mean IP addresses; there is no email address involved directly in the making of shill bids. In the first place there may be 10-20 email addresses involved in the obtaining of that rotating stock of 10-20 bidding IDs that every sophisticated shill-bidding seller seems to now have (but that is another story and comes back to effective validation of all users).

In any case the smart user can manipulate IP addresses—even “paid” broadband addresses (Bigpond actually wants an additional fee for a static IP address, otherwise the IP address will be dynamic, like the bidding aliases in the UK]) and can be changed simply by switching off/on your ADSL Router and therefore IP addresses are far from being a foolproof means of data matching for such security purposes. (Why else do you think that the dynamic “Bidder x” alias, that changed every auction, was eBay’s initially preferred form of masked bidding alias?)

Validation of users is a cost that eBay is not interested in incurring as, not only would it be a direct cost, it would also cause a reduction in revenue because it would make life much more difficult for the many unscrupulous sellers from whom, I suspect, eBay presently gets much of its revenue. 

Hi Bazza,

The spreadsheet contains facts; I am quite happy to let those facts speak for themselves. Or are you, like Chris Dawson, implying that you have examined those facts but can see no suggestion of shill bidding by any of the listed sellers?

Bazza, if you are a professional seller I would be happy to analyse some of your auction sales: the spreadsheet needs some more examples of apparently scrupulous sellers to try to keep a balance (you can private message me your eBay selling ID and I will contract not to identify you regardless of the outcome). Can I be any fairer than that?

(By the way Bazza, you wouldn’t, by any chance, happen to be an acquaintance of my old friend from the Rocky Horror Show, would you?)

Hi Brumby,

Of course, you are right, when the preference is to not spotlight a matter, better to simply ignore it. When I have presented my draft articles to eBay for their comment thereon, they ignore me. They have offered feeble, devious, nonsensical responses to the media when the media has taken up the matter. But, me directly, they ignore—and I post under my own name and have been tracked down by others (including the media). Frankly, this is undoubtedly an area that eBay would prefer was left unexplored. That way they don’t have to face the perfidy of their position.
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #252 on: November 22, 2009, 06:23:04 AM »

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #253 on: November 22, 2009, 10:04:23 AM »
I notice that eBay's broken again! No lists!
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #254 on: November 22, 2009, 10:24:20 AM »
I've noticed that these Boards have been Dead Air for 6+ hours, and counting....

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #255 on: November 22, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »
I have an excuse Tello....It is known as SLEEP Time  :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :filenails: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #256 on: November 22, 2009, 12:53:08 PM »
I notice that eBay's broken again! No lists!

Been broken for about 18 hours no search results pity the ebay seller with no shill bid on auction listing, item "sold" for a song.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #257 on: November 22, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »
It is not good!Perhaps that explains the weird problem I had ...could not get in to the site (only eBay) and wanted to look at an auction. I thought it was odd as should not have been anything to do with cache. I cleared everything a few times and finally got in...too late!

it meant I did not bid on an item, so many others may have had similar problems.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #259 on: November 22, 2009, 02:12:44 PM »
It is not good!Perhaps that explains the weird problem I had ...could not get in to the site (only eBay) and wanted to look at an auction. I thought it was odd as should not have been anything to do with cache. I cleared everything a few times and finally got in...too late!

it meant I did not bid on an item, so many others may have had similar problems.

Yes, Centuries, and for the 99 cent auctions with one bid that weren't accessible, there will be some ecstatic buyers and some ropable sellers ... and you can bet your boots eBay will duck any compensation questions.  I doubt they would even consider cancellation of sales - saying it was always a possibility.

When eBay talked about "innovative disruption" were they talking about innovative ways to improve the site - or - were they talkiing about innovative ways to 'cleanse' the site of all those annoying 'little' sellers (the ones that have less than 20,000 listings).

?

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #260 on: November 22, 2009, 03:37:44 PM »
"Innovative Disruption" was JD's way of saying: "Flock everybody!"

And it's stuck ever since.....

What's the surprise, ya'll???????????????????????????