Author Topic: Secrets of Success on eBay  (Read 86889 times)

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
Secrets of Success on eBay
« on: October 24, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »
“Secrets of Success on eBay”
How two top sellers make hay with high-priced items

http://www.auctionbytes.com/forum/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=6502763

These would be two beautiful success stories if only they both were not habitual shill bidders.
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Secrets of Success on eBay
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 02:42:02 PM »
Phil , why would a shill bidder put an offer on a best offer item of his own ??????
now that just doesnt make any sense whatsoever 

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 02:54:26 PM »
For the same reason that some of the smarter shill sellers will use multiple shill IDs on the same auction. It's all about auction psychology: to make it look like the items you are selling are desirable and in demand and good value at that price. If the "buyer" ultimately does not pay then there is no FVF paid; and watchers get the impression that your stuff is moving ...

Think about it, you're looking at an item, it's near the end of the auction, but no one else is interested; you start to think maybe it's not good value; and the opposite case: many (usually nominal bids), or the seller's other items appear to be selling very successfully ...

If nothing else the auctioneer at a traditional goods and chattels auction will keep the activity moving so fast you may think that everything is being sold even when it's not ... There are a lot of professional sellers on eBay who understand the psychology of the auction very well; they may well buy a lot of their own stuff at times, but they will do better than the other seller selling the same stuff without any artificial devices.

But regardless of the purpose, even if only to get the bidding started, shill bidding is still fraud.
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »
"Kill Shill"

A Quentin Tarantino Movie
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 03:02:21 PM »
Phil , I am sorry , a lot of the stuff you say makes sense , but your answer regarding best offer is in my opinion .... bollocks ..... no one else other than the offerer or the seller can see the offer , it in no way increases the potential sale price as the seller is not obliged to sell to the highest offer and as I said potential offerers have no idea what any previous offers if any were 

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 03:10:19 PM »
Phil , I am sorry , a lot of the stuff you say makes sense , but your answer regarding best offer is in my opinion .... bollocks ..... no one else other than the offerer or the seller can see the offer , it in no way increases the potential sale price as the seller is not obliged to sell to the highest offer and as I said potential offerers have no idea what any previous offers if any were 

"No one else can see ..." And that is another problem with such sales format: we simply have no way of knowing post sale if the sale is genuine or not. I did not say it was the case. I suggested that it was a possibility. It's all to do with making watchers believe that your stuff is moving. What would you think of a very large listing of "Best Offers" with a zero success rate? The professional seller has to try to keep up the excitement on all his sales formats.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 03:19:09 PM »
Nope sorry Phil you are grasping at straws to enhance your arguement , there is absolutley no benefit in a seller making an offer on his own best offer item , for a guy who appears to do his homework Im afraid you dont appear to have a very good grasp on how best offer works on ebay ... and in my opinion by you making such suggestions detracts from the good work and research you have done on shill bidding IMO 

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 04:36:57 PM »
Nope sorry Phil you are grasping at straws to enhance your arguement , there is absolutley no benefit in a seller making an offer on his own best offer item ,

Smee I think you need to do some experimation on how best MIS match search works. Ebay quotes watchers, keywords and DSR's as the main critera to climb up search order. And hide things like clearance rate, for you that itam numbers of sales, and relisting same auction. Clearance rate and sales are 90% of best MIS match "points". The rest is a smoke screen. Top rated seller is about clearance rate for instance.

If you as a seller relist an item with sales, it will jump to head of best MIS match search. Sales means fees for ebay all they care about is fees. listing fees , final value fees and Paypal fees. So a few "sales" that cost you nothing as you either mutually agree not to complete, or not paid with yourself or accomplice shill buyer.

Your items thus moved up search order and move likely to get real sales, a repeating cycle. Not as important here in Australia where most searches well worded, will bring up a page or two. In USA or Europe, large markets best worded search brings up 10 or 20 pages. No sales in page 18.

cueperkins

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 04:47:27 PM »
Shyer...I haven't looked into this whole scenario, but from a buyers perspective....I HATE BEST MATCH.....whose best match?...certainly not mine....I don't enjoy having every conceivable unrelated piece of crap thrown at me when I'm searching for something specific.....So, I don't even go there much anymore...just when I can't find something in particular.  I had a look in a few old favourites in terms of categories the other day, and there was so much unrelated garbage in each category it was painful to wade through.  I did a search...more unmitigated bullshit to wade through...it's painful actually.  I keep having to shave down the search just to rid myself of the garbage that ebay has decided I need to have thrown at me.

For instance, in order to spam buyers, Sellers will, in the Vintage/Antique Jewellery section....say Vintage Esq?...and Vintage Style, Vintage look.....anything to get themselves into searches...they've made it so cut throat on ebay these days, it breeds it's own corruption by the minute...I wouldn't be surprised what some sellers will do to get their product noticed or promoted.

Ebay was once fun...now it's stressful...simple really..

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 04:49:08 PM »
Shyer I am FULLY aware of how best match search works and all my listings are on page 1 as I have done my research .... and I reiterate to suggest that someone makes an offer on their own best offer listing is really drawing a long bow . As I stated comments like that only detract from all the good work done in identifying actual shill bidders .... if you have to make things up to strengthen your arguement then in my opinion there is a fair chance that there is also some 'creative bending' of facts in original arguement also ......
Next you guys will be telling me that most sellers buy their own BINS as well ...... turn it up !!!!!

Bazza

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 04:55:26 PM »
Hello folks. I agree with smee on this. Its not enough to convict a seller on.

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 07:21:44 PM »
Smee,

Can I say it again. I did not say that it did happen, I simply hypothesised that it could happen.

I spent six years as a partner in an auction business: I do have some understanding of the mechanics and the psychology involved in English auctions.

Whether or not you accept the possibility of a vendor accepting his own highest “Best Offer,” for the reason I have already stated, the point I would make is that you have absolutely no way of knowing one way or the other.

No information (other than the sale price) is supplied post sale. And eBay undoubtedly planned it so. And, if the buyer “does not pay” then the seller can avoid any further fee, as will be undoubtedly the case with many of BeckerTime’s obviously shill-bought auctions.

After all, Best Offer is little different to an auction (you make an offer). The big difference is that afterwards there is total opacity. No details for others to ascertain the veracity of the transaction.

Indeed all bidding information except for the Current Bid and number of bids has recently been removed from the primary View Item page. Why do you think eBay would do that, other than to further obscure matters? They have even hidden away the notice that an auction is a “private listing” at the very bottom of the page!

You may well say that we are not entitled to know. And I would say that that is now the problem with eBay’s auctions, it takes a lot of work to ferret out the sophisticated shills and that undoubtedly also was the intention of eBay’s further masking of bidder IDs.

The total lack of transparency, that eBay appears to prefers, breeds untoward activity.

I suppose the next thing you will be saying is that you can see no other evidence that either BeckerTime or QuickShipElectronics are, as I claim, rampant, habitual, shill bidders.

Bazza

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 07:48:36 PM »
Philip, how much do you know about bidders in any auction (online or other)? A heck of a lot less than ebay shows you.

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 07:51:11 PM »
Bazza,

Sorry, I have no idea what your statement means: "A heck of a lot less than ebay shows you."?

Bazza

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 07:56:11 PM »
Philip, if I go to an auction house I have absolutely no idea who I'm bidding against. I don't know anything about their bidding history, so I just bid and hope for the best. How is that any better than ebays system? Or should all auctions be outlawed?

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 08:39:08 PM »
Bazza,

Do you really think that eBay could have gotten to where it is today if it had been run the way many unscrupulous auctioneers run auctions, with all their devious tricks? No way. The onlline auction system requires an amount of transparancy that gives bidders confidence and that eBay used to have; it was never perfect: shills have always been about; but it is less transparent now than it ever was, and it can be demonstrated that the professional shill bidding sellers are now running rampant. If you have no appreciation of that fact then I must assume that you are predominantly a seller.

tinker

• New Knight
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 08:58:35 PM »
Hello.

I'm sorry but I really don't think this holds water.

Smee, I have to agree.

tinker

• New Knight
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »
Sorry but as a Power Seller I would never jeopardise my business for the simple sake of "best matched" everyone knows no one uses it anyway.

As a buyer as well, I never use that silly search, ever.

tinker

• New Knight
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 09:15:22 PM »
Philip.Cohen

May I ask if you sell on eBay?

If so, what option do you take, BIN or auction?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 09:25:55 PM »
Phil once again your statement doesnt make sense , you say a best offer is similar to an auction .... it isnt !!!!it is a buy it now at a negotiated price . now I realise that in your original statement you didnt say it did happen and thats my point you threw in some codswallop to try and enhance your point but in fact you detracted from it . Phil I have no doubt whatsoever that shill bidding does occur unfortunatley you look that hard for it you appear tunnel vision and you come across as if every seller either shill bids or uses some other scullduggery to obtain a false price, As I have stated a lot of what you have said in the past about shill bidding makes sense but this doesnt in my eyes make you an expert in every facet of selling on ebay and in my opinion and having read the posts here by most other peoples opinions here  you are ill informed on best offer selling so dont treat me and others as imbociles

tinker

• New Knight
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
Ha...looks like I'm talking to myself. Well, I just want to add this:
I put an absentee bid via internet at my local auction house each week, the auction House could easily stitch me up, although if I want to participate I have to trust they are abiding by their own policies, don't I? If I am feeling suss I didn't involve myself.

Last auction, I was the higher bidder on a nice little lot of antique gold jewelery...for $25!!! even the auction house owner was staggered when I collected it, because she is familiar with me she laughed and said I must of missed bidding on that one.

I think bidding is as such that you have to lay down what your ready to pay and no more if it goes over that then so be it...that squashes shillbidding then. right?

I don't see the issue?

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 10:30:32 PM »
Tinker,

I am predominantly a buyer on eBay and I prefer the fun of auctions; frankly, if I wanted to buy at fixed price I would go to Amazon.

And isn’t it nice that you have been involved with a scrupulous auctioneer; too bad the same cannot be said of eBay, the auctioneer.

Smee,

Maybe I missed something on "Best Offer" but it is best offer; in other words the seller does not necessarily have to accept or reject the first offer that is made; someone else can make a better offer; and then someone else can make an even better offer; up until the end time of the listing if an offer is not accepted beforehand; sounds something like a form of “reserved” auction to me; if it is a “BIN or Best Offer” then it is certainly somewhat similar to an auction with a BIN option attached thereto—but with a complete lack of any transparency.

But, maybe I got it wrong as I have only bought one item that way and that was a while ago on a multiple item auction (eBay has now done away with multiple item auctions too; they apparently now want a listing fee for every individual item listed; things are getting desperate on the Road to San Jose).

And, please don't put words in my mouth: I never suggested that you were an imbocile [sic]; I hypothesised that you may be (predominantly) a seller. I don’t think that sellers are necessarily imbeciles, are they? Would I be right in presuming that you are predominantly a seller? ---

You still have not answered my previous question. Do you or do you not believe that it has been demonstrated that BeckerTime and QuickShipElectronics most probably are shill bidders?

Moderated

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »
Phil , I havent answered your question because once I saw the tripe you wrote about the seller probably making offers on his own items I lost interest in what you were saying , as I say by making up scenarios you did not enhance your story with me you lot all creditbility , and its none of your business why I post here instead of on Ebay forums !!!! just who do you think you are coming out with that line???? and as a matter of fact I sell and I buy and as I have already stated I do agree that there is some shill bidding on ebay but Phil ease up .... not every seller shill bids and not every item gets shill bidded on .... One day when I am not feeling so pissed off with your self importance attitude I will take the time to explain why it can actually be detrimental to a seller to shill bid , but you are so GD paranoid about and tunnell vision I doubt you would take the time to even considetr that a possibility ... Now it summary Phil all I am saying is dont do yourself a diservice by making up BS theories ... stick to posting the facts that you are able to substantiate by your research and more people might be simpathetic to your cause .... you are obsesssed and its getting to the point where you fantasise !!!!  

tinker

• New Knight
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2009, 07:28:32 AM »
Look, all I have to add to this thread is this: Your Talking Rubbish Philip.Cohen.

Smee, I agree with your argument.

Why anyone would offer themselves a best offer is beyond me, it makes no sense what so ever, not now, not ever. It’s like calling myself on my phone to see if I'm home.

Philip sorry to say but ***.

Take your argument to the eBay discussion forums; I would be interested to see what others think of your theory.

Edited - profanity or abuse removed by moderator

cueperkins

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 08:09:31 AM »
Just wondering if calling the OP names and implying that he's talking rubbish, is helping this debate in any way?......

Phil.....Shill Bidding as we've agreed previously, is insidious...not obvious, and much of the time, you can only really demonstrate a pattern that may or may not fit, the pattern of shill bidding.  I agree with you that Ebay have the power, but not the willingness to police it but as you know, that would entail verification of all sellers and it would put a stop to any shilling ID's being invented for that purpose only. 

They could limit members to a buyer/seller/posting ID only, unless that member applies for more than one ID and states their reasons....YES, they could do a lot to clean up fraud but as a precedent study concluded in 2006, they have no incentive to do so, because they make a profit out of the various illegal antics sellers get up to.  (Not talking about all sellers OK? in fact I'd say it's a minority, not the majority).

Verification would also automatically provide consumers with redress against unscrupulous sellers, and blatant rip off sellers, who sign up, rip off hundreds of people and then disappear....only to surface again under yet another anonymous unverified ebay ID. (See Qld online auction fraud stats for 2007).

So.....I agree with your assertion that Ebay could do a lot to mitigate proactively, but they don't even give a toss about reactive mitigation do they?  in other words, even when they are aware of it, they still don't do anything to prevent or reduce fraud on ebay.

I have to admit...this particular debate is a complicated subject...and many here have never actually used Best Offer, so it's hard to follow the debate.  Perhaps explain some of these things, first and then hypothesize further?  e.g. What is best offer and how does it work?  (for the numpties).  Also, is there any studies on 'Auction Behaviour' or Shill Bidding in the traditional Auction marketplace that might set a baseline for further discussion? 

In the meantime people, is there any real need for name calling ?

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 09:01:46 AM »
Next you guys will be telling me that most sellers buy their own BINS as well ...... turn it up !!!!!
YES smee that is what happened to me, while I was learning about mis match.  I had nearly 50 watchers on a multiple bin of 8 clearance items and stuck in middle of best mis match search after 5 days . 1 item sold elsewhere and one in testing was faulty. I got friends to "buy " 2 items so if 8 buyers did bid ,first 6 I had item to sell , last 2 too late.

Soon as friends bought listing shot to top of 1st Page ( using featured plus as well) watchers within a day was over 70 and 4 sales before listing ended. When I relisted with 3 items still had watchers on compleated ad. New ad started at top of 1st page.

Clearence rate is most important metric in my catagory in best mismatch. In other catagories I do not know. I have done about 10 experiments and that is MY results. Also sales make people think they must bid or possiably misout.

Also can we keep to topic and not act like children, and throw personal insults. If some one has different experiences and conclusions to yours.

tinker

• New Knight
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2009, 10:49:51 AM »
ummm...it is becoming clear to me Cupie that you have an issue with the way I am posting...If you have a look at my post I didn't call Phil a name, I said he is talking rubbish and if that is what I think he's statement is, why do I have to pretend it's not?

I was told that this forum was an even playing ground for all posters????

You have had a go at me twice now, why?

I will ask you kindly to refrain from this please.

Can someone tell me who are the moderators and who do I talk to if I have an issue please?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2009, 10:59:18 AM »
Philip, thanks for what you've been posting. While I don't necessarily agree with your scenarios in all cases, you have the right to express what you've been saying, and it could prove fruitful to explore Best Offer.

Smee, you have the experience to say making Best Offers to oneself is unlikely, and you can't see the point in it.

Shyer, you have experience in seeing your listing placement affected positively by BINs made by friends.

This gives an interesting new perspective on the whole thing. It's certainly worth exploring.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 11:13:13 AM »
Also can we keep to topic and not act like children, and throw personal insults. If some one has different experiences and conclusions to yours.
PS I appologise baddly worded what I meant to say .
Was "Also can we ALL keep to ....... "

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 11:21:06 AM »
Shyer ... Just to let you know I am not ignoring your post ... its just probably best I dont respond at the moment ... but let me just say one thing please , read back through what you have posted about buying your own listings .... do the maths and give yourself an uppercut and if you get back up give yourself another and keep going until penny drops  or you will end up going broke . 

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 11:31:23 AM »
ummm...it is becoming clear to me Cupie that you have an issue with the way I am posting...If you have a look at my post I didn't call Phil a name, I said he is talking rubbish and if that is what I think he's statement is, why do I have to pretend it's not?

I was told that this forum was an even playing ground for all posters????

You have had a go at me twice now, why?

I will ask you kindly to refrain from this please.

Can someone tell me who are the moderators and who do I talk to if I have an issue please?

Hi tinker... If you would like to contact someone regarding any concerns you have about this site send a message to Admin = countessa... though the private message system...countessa IS the final word.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 11:36:09 AM »
What Yib said.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 11:38:19 AM »
The issue of "watchers" on those items, Shyer... well, it's not what you think. Read this topic: http://www.ozroundtable.com/index.php?topic=998.0
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 11:44:59 AM »
do the maths and give yourself an uppercut and if you get back up give yourself another and keep going until penny drops  or you will end up going broke . 

No Smee I am not going broke if I file mutually cancel sale with friends "sales", I get my final value fees back. I can get excellent feedback and DSRs , FOR ZERO EXTRA COSTS. My listing fee is the same if I sell zero or 100 items.

Here is one place ebay admits impressions to sales ratio is a factor. Near bottom of page.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/searchstanding.html

Listing performance score for fixed price items: Relevance is important for fixed price listings. Fixed price listings have a performance score based on the listing's recent sales in relation to the number of recent impressions it received. The performance score is a more accurate measure of how buyers perceive a listing than recent sales alone.

I find all other metrics are +1 / 0 / -1 points. Listing performance score I find is +10 to -10 points in my two main catagories. Ebay does talk about differences in catagories. Ie cars would have often have averages of 100 impressions or more for each sale. While Packing tape might show on average 3 impressions for each sale.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2009, 11:53:35 AM »
Shyer ... oh whats the point ..... if you are here to bait me ... dont go there ... please do your home work including the upper cuts ....

If in fact you are genuinely believing what you have suggested in your previous posts I am more than happy to help you later in the week when I have calmed down from reading the absolute piffle posted by some in this thread .

If you are just taking the piss then please refrain because I can fight fire with fire also and my fire will be substantiated by facts

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2009, 11:59:57 AM »

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2009, 12:02:16 PM »
Timing is everything.

HellWest'nCrooked

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2009, 12:13:04 PM »

Well done Tello.....didn't know you had it in ya!! :roflmao:

Yibs...are you having trouble again...where on earth has the green man gone now??

:-* :-* :-* :-* to Smee and everyone (before I get into trouble)

Westie :ivanhoe:
Ain't no rhyme or reason
No complicated meaning

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2009, 12:57:47 PM »
tinker: all that serious stuff is bollacks. You just happened to pop in when it all got sparked up.

I suggest ya chill and hang out with me, and maybe yib, cuz we get away with everything, and that's like "elite" or some shite like that.

Alone here, yer lookin' a tad vulnerable. Being a Noob izzint a plus either.

Trust me. I'm an American.

:motorbikeride:

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2009, 12:59:24 PM »
Tinker....do I know you from somewhere? :)

You sound....oddly familiar??

Play nice now... ;)

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 01:03:11 PM »
'scuuze me roo, but it seems to me that tinker is getting beat up straight out of the chute & it duzzint look good.

I feel for her. I may be even Championing for her, I dunno.....

Overall, this joint is heating up, and you know what that can do......

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2009, 01:06:54 PM »
You know I luvs ya Tello...but I think Tinker isn't as 'new' as she makes out to be...that's all.... :saint:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »
Ok, so I'm infatuated.

Is that so wrong?   ;D

cueperkins

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2009, 01:11:09 PM »
Is Infatuation Blind?.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2009, 01:13:27 PM »
Is thread hijacking kosher?

Oh, this just in: I "get it" now.

:hearnoevil:

cueperkins

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2009, 02:00:47 PM »
 :t2:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2009, 02:11:19 PM »
:wink_wink-nudge_nudge:

:winner:

tinker

• New Knight
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2009, 03:05:03 PM »
I don't believe so Roo. Are you a collector?

Thank you Tellomon.

I've been told to ignore the insults so I will do that.