Author Topic: When a seller doesn't include the age of second-hand furniture...  (Read 5692 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
... what is your first thought?

Someone I know (let's call him Jack) was checking on eBay for a lounge suite, doing some price comparisons before walking around from shop to shop. He came across a second-hand suite which briefly intrigued him as it seemed like a very good deal. All leather, apparently nice-looking, stated as being in very good condition.

But the listing said absolutely nothing about how old it was.

Jack messaged the seller to ask "How old is the suite?" There was no reply for 24 hours, although one answered question appeared on the listing in the interim (one of those "where are you" questions - mind you, the suburb WAS stated in the listing).

Four hours to go on the listing, no bids, and then Jack receives an answer. "Hi, it's in top condition, I would say no signs of age", or words to that effect.

Jack immediately replied with "Hi, thanks, but could you tell me the age of the suite?" (or words to that effect).

Ten minutes before the item ended, Jack received a reply. "Hi, I would say it's around 6 years old, in top condition."

By that time, Jack had already shown me the listing, and I'd shown Jack the other pictures on the listing (which he'd not clicked). The other pictures showed what I thought looked like "sag". I gave Jack a bit of a talking-to; he can certainly afford a good quality new suite, and I still can't work out why he became interested in this s/h one! (Male love of a bargain?)

Jack agreed - he could see the sag, and when he looked more closely, the whole suite looked a bit dispirited. And hearing it was already six years old, he lost interest. The suite did sell, but at its starting bid of $1000.

Now, there are a few things about this:

1. I don't believe it was six years old. It seemed older to me. I was also made suspicious by the seller's refusal to be specific. "I would say it's around" seems like a way of giving a false impression with the seller trying to give himself wriggle room if challenged. He could always say, "I said it was 'about' six years old."
2. This is also borne out by the seller's refusal to answer the question the first time around.
3. The fact that the seller didn't include the age of the suite in his listing seems dodgy to me. Wouldn't you, if you were looking for second-hand furniture, want to know how old the item was? Isn't that one of the basic questions?
4. When it comes to usable everyday furniture... new every time for me. I love antique furniture (and there's some fantastic vintage stuff as well), but not dodgy 10-year-old stuff that's getting past any warranty, showing sag and revealing the reason why modern furniture doesn't have a lifetime warranty.

What are your thoughts about listings that don't specify the age of s/h furniture?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

gr8-expectations

Re: When a seller doesn't include the age of second-hand furniture...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »
countess that happens a lot on all sorts of items, people are dodgy about age, they often know but dont say or dont know and dont say, or are very honest and say, on that one it must have been a spectacular lounge suite if used to go for that, very rare on ebay, sure he/she is not on "schillers" list?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:55:45 PM »
get your suite from Sofa_King
they are Sofa_King honest
and Sofa_King cheap !

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:00:34 PM »
The listing stated that the suite was $7000 new... but I've no idea for how much s/h suites sell on eBay (I've never checked before).

As to Schiller's List - possibly! I could not rule it out... but there's no definite evidence.

Smee, sofa so good, hmm?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:43:29 PM »
I wish all bidders would read the whole page before they place a bid. So many are caught out by not scrolling to see all the information, or lack of information, provided by a seller, as you have pointed out, countessa.

If I were to buy furniture on-line I would need to be given the age, size/s colour and any faults noted, eg stains scratches/wood or upholstery damage, wobbly legs, plus any holes/sawdust in drawers etc.(evidence of white ant attack, perhaps ;D) And, I would need to inspect the piece prior to placing a bid if it was a higher priced item.

And I would not buy if the seller did not answer any query within a reasonable period of time, if the information supplied was insufficient about the item.

It helps everyone to ask questions prior to bidding and does give a bidder a 'feel' for the seller.   

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

ernest_price

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:05:11 PM »
I think it depends on what you are selling - lounges definitely need a reasonable age and usage estimate [as subjective as that would be].

Dining tables and solid furniture are probably less of an age and more of a condition issue to me.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 11:28:55 PM »
Yes, that's a fair comment. If a table's made of solid mahogany, for instance, its condition would be the issue... but anything with upholstery has that issue of the innards not being good for much longer, as well as fabric condition definitely being affected by age.

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 03:33:43 AM »
When a seller doesn't include the age of second-hand furniture... what is your first thought?

First thought... Why ?

Second, after reading the story is.. Jack is lucky he has someone to point out some reality.

Third, frame your question to seller better.  What year was this made / purchased by you ?

Fourth, what other details are being omitted ? The omission of significant details = lie to me.

Fifth, failure to respond to questions is like limiting a means of escape from the sale via SNAD claim.

... I could go on with questions like... Do you have pets ?
Cats can be very destructive. I have one that claws the lounge and curtains to attract attention seeking to play. He will also attack for fun.  Well... he was an adopted feral bush cat now a tamed tiger.

I think it's risky business as well buying some types of furnishings 2nd hand. Could be 3rd or 4th hand.
In this case, the cost of re-upholstering in leather and new foam would be very high, possibly as much as a new one if a frame repair is also necessary.

pobox486cronulla@hotmail.com    I have NO HERO'S or IDOLS.  I will question everything and anyone having faith only in myself.

cueperkins

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 08:21:58 AM »
I think it's also about being a smart buyer.  I had a girlfriend who lost her husband a few years back and her ratty 5 year old lounge suite was on it's last legs....so I got onto Ebay and started looking for a modular suite to fit her space....she was intending to move to a flat up north, so I had to keep that in mind too.....it had to be versatile and small enough to fit a flat......well, what a bonanza....found a 1970's modular, re-upholstered....wood arms, legs and solid frame, heavy as sin, and that was a good thing (sign of older quality)...paid only $50.00.  I knew what I was looking at, the seller simply stated they bought it at auction ten years before...but the style, the materials and the construction was all obviously vintage and top quality...even to look at you could tell that.  

She was thrilled with that lounge suite, it lasted her years, and she then gave it to someone else, in as new condition as she'd received it...that's almost 40 years with only a reupholster of the coverings way back when.  Apparently, it had started it's life as an upmarket hotel room suite, so it had been good quality even then.  

Sometimes, to reverse the coin....bargains arise out of the sellers ignorance, which is part of the fun of collecting.  I can't tell you how many things I've bought on ebay, knowing full well, their true provenance, when the seller didn't have a clue....Collectors know..isn't that right Misha?...in fact they hunt down what they're looking for and can only hope someone lists the item vaguely so no other collector gets wind of it...lol.  

As for contemporary furniture, well, Garage sales and moving sales are the best place to buy cheap modern furniture.  People tend to sell entire lounge suites for a few hundred dollars because they don't want to take the items with them....If you want to be so selective as to absolutely have to have leather....then try online classifieds or local classifieds....even second hand furniture stores will have older leather suites.....lot cheaper than new and the construction is always usually better quality.