Author Topic: What's the Most UNjustified Neg You Ever Received - As a Buyer or Seller ?  (Read 17515 times)

frangi

Here's the place to vent

What's the most unjustified Neg you ever received .. as buyer or seller ?

And if you like, you can include what Ebay did or did NOT do to help you.

No holds barred .. let it rip.  You're safe here in this slap-free zone

Ok.  I'll start.  Worst, must unjustified Neg I've ever received was from a seller who gave
no indication of any problem.  She emailed several times asking me to leave Feedback as soon
as items received, which I did.  I was happy with the items, so left great Feedback for her.

Next time I logged into Ebay, I saw that my rating had dropped.  Blood ran cold, skin clammy,
butterflies in my stomach.  I was in shock.  Trembling.  Must be a mistake .. must be.  What was
happening ?

And then I saw the Feedback she'd left for me.  She'd described me as 'difficult' and warned people
to avoid me.

Reason ?   Because I'd asked for my items to be sent via Registered post.

Can you top it ?

col52

:o

One of mine from December 2007 was from someone who I bought from (he's in UK). I had bought from him in the past without problems but this time I had not heard from him. I sent a message asking when the package had been sent as I'd not heard anything. He responded with an abusive reel of e-mails then made a purchase of a necklace chain from my shop and immediately posted feedback something like "I just bought & paid for this today and expected delivery yesterday".

It took ages for ebay to take action, I had to complain to them many times. When they did remove it, they also deregistered the guy as punishment for about a month. I never expected them to do that, I felt a bit sorry for the guy actually as he lost out on Christmas sales.

I did get an apology from the guy, he said he couldn't even remember doing it as he'd been watching football or something and celebrated by getting drunk! He said he must have logged on to ebay.

Primaryaim

Don't know about topping that Frangi, what a cow.

But I had two in 5 years.

My first was from someone who had purchased a $4 item. After 2 days of no contact I logged in to see a negative. I checked his feedback to see what sort of person he was and that ID had given 5 negatives in the space of a few minutes. The reason, 'item not as described' but he had not even paid. I contacted him and he said his young brother had got on the computer and left everyone negs. He would not remove any. Ebay did NOTHING even though he had obviously left unfair negs.

I wore it and moved on but less happy with eBay.

The second one, customer was from US, sale went smoothly but I got a neg saying I double charged her for post. On emailing her she said she got me mixed up with someone else???? I asked and she removed the neg.

Both of them undeserved but both unavoidable because they were given by buyers who, no matter how good a seller the deal with, have no flamingo idea.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
I'm a protected species on eBay - a buyer, 100% and no negs for me

Primaryaim

LOL

frangi

Oh wow, Prim and Col ... I cringed when I read both those accounts  :'(

Both totally unjustified .. yet you guys had to wear them

Nothing can describe the way you feel at the time.  Even years later, it still stings, doesn't it ?  And those stupid unjustified Negs hang around for ages up there on the screen, like a cup of cold water in the face every time you click on your ratings history (old style one, anyway).  Bad enough if you'd earned it, but to have to put up with that insult and slight to your reputation when you're innocent has made people literally weep out loud, as we've all heard in the old RT.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Wheel, snap!

I'm a buyer. I can't even pretend to be proud of my 100% feedback, though, since even problem buyers can't be negged.

(I hasten to add that I'm not a problem buyer!)

Frangi, what a horribly unfair neg. Col - outrageous. Prim... utterly unbelievable.

Hmm... I do have a neg story from someone I know. I'll change the details slightly.

The seller (let's call him Malcolm) sold a gorgeous antique item of furniture, providing quite a few images (not fuzzy). Buyer (let's call her Bluebell) asked for it to be delivered and paid by bank deposit. From the questions Bluebell had asked, apparently Malcolm suspected she was potential trouble, and I wish he'd asked me about how to cancel unwelcome bids... because there were other bidders on this item. Unfortunately she won.
Malcolm delivered the item - she had a look at it and admired it - all seemed fine and Malcolm was beginning to think he'd misjudged the potential problem.
Not so.
Two days later Bluebell rang to complain that the antique piece had a slight gap where the wood had shrunk. She obviously hadn't noticed this gap at the time of delivery in full sunlight. She asked for a significant reduction. Malcolm thought, "Here we go," and replied - no, sorry, no reduction, but if you're unhappy with the piece, you can return it and I'll refund the item price" (this was $800-$900).
Bluebell said, "You'll have to come and pick it up, and I want the delivery cost refunded too" (something like $20 or $30 for delivery to a suburb about an hour from Malcolm).
Malcolm said, no - the delivery cost isn't refundable since you approved the item. Bluebell's messages became increasingly acrimonious and the little space between the wood panels apparently grew in size from barely discernible to a HUGE HOLE. (When Malcolm was telling me about this, I remembered the story of Snoopy and the thousand-lb gully cat.) Malcolm also said, Yes, fine, I'll drive all the way out to pick up the item, but I will not refund you the delivery cost for the pleasure.
Bluebell finally agreed, and the pickup and refund took place.
The instant Bluebell had her hands on the $800-$900, she opened a dispute for Item Not Received, demanding a full refund.
Malcolm showed records from the bank illustrating he'd refunded.
The dispute was closed.
Bluebell was furious.
The neg was absolute vitriol - I've seen it. I thought Malcolm's response was incredibly mild...!
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

frangi

Ooooooooooooooooo, Countess.   Oh, that's awful !

These are people with whom we work, pass in the supermarket and on the street.  Scary.  I always whisper to myself that I hope they don't breed.  I know, bad of me.  But jeepers, imagine the lack of ethics in which any child of theirs would be raised ? 

Primaryaim

Countess, another terrible part to your story is that you cannot avoid these people. No matter how good a seller you are, theives abound.

For my first one I was distraught, I felt 'unclean' and very angry that my 100% perfection had been spoilt.

Then I realised it did not make a hill of beans difference to my sales and I got over it.

By the time I got my second one I had more sense and instead of getting upset, I calmly emailed the buyer, crawled, begged in the nicest way and talked the buyer into removing it by laying a huge guilt trip on her, i.e. you made the mistake and my lifeblood is selling and your negative will leave me without food type of thing. I think she gave in so I would not make her cry again.

I have to say if I got one now I would not care and that is only because I read on RT many times "its only 1 neg, the rest of your feedback speaks for itself. The buyer is the one who looks bad", and those wonderful RTers were 100% correct.   Who is going to say that over there now, and where?

frangi

' Who is going to say that over there now, and where? '

That's such a sad and sobering question, Prim  :(

Primaryaim

eBay DO NOT reaslise the value they had from the members of the RT. They won't rue the day they got rid of us because they are too STUPID but they will lose customers who come looking for help and get a whiteboard

saint_phoebe

God there were some kooky buyers (as well as some very shonky sellers of course).
I would have got many more negs than I got - I think I had 2 all up - had I not somehow developed the "sweet as pie, bite your tongue, patience of a saint" attitude that sellers have to have.
I hate to think how difficult it is now to sell in the current environment, & with the abundance of one-word-&-a-link-answers to questions on the buying/selling boards, such as they now are, there are mant new sellers who could find themselves in a lot of bother very quickly I think.

frangi

The place as it is now reminds me of an abbatoirs

We have to rescue them !  Knights and Knightessess of the Oz Round Table .. full speed ahead, spare not ye horses.  We have to write the link to the Oz RT on A4 sheets and make paper planes of them .. then rain them down on the poor citizens of Oz Ebay !

Grab bandages, bottles of blood and lashings of hot tea and Arnott's shortbread creams .. it's an emergency !  Forward ho !

Primaryaim

I was feeling a bit ambivalent until I got to the shortbread creams part, but now I'm in :)

frangi

You're a card, Prim  :D

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Advertising on buses?

Highlighting the shortbread creams bit?
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

col52

You're a card, Prim  :D

She'll be easy to deal with then  :rofl:

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
 :pmsl:

Well done!
 :10:

col52

Welcome to the round table Bellagina

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT

Why thank you muchly, col!

I've only ever had one neg, for a lost item, which I didn't think was justified at the time ( I wanted them to wait til Australia Post accepted the claim) - since then I have learnt to be far more communicative with information on the whole process, and haven't had a problem since..... yet! (now where's a touch wood icon?)

Fluffy*Duckee

I've never had a neg.  However, I am sure I would have if it hadn't been for the information shared on the old Australian RT before it got canned.  I'm hoping that this site will give other ebay sellers the same information that was afforded to me.

col52

Why thank you muchly, col!

I've only ever had one neg, for a lost item, which I didn't think was justified at the time ( I wanted them to wait til Australia Post accepted the claim) - since then I have learnt to be far more communicative with information on the whole process, and haven't had a problem since..... yet! (now where's a touch wood icon?)

That's good. Now...................touch wood icon...............let's see................... :hide:
that's about as close as we get there!