Author Topic: Do You Get the Feeling Ebay Respects You ... or Not ?  (Read 19332 times)

frangi

Do You Get the Feeling Ebay Respects You ... or Not ?
« on: April 23, 2009, 03:41:55 PM »
I'm musing about why I feel so disenchanted with ebay.  Maybe you've done the same ?

They send me emails all the time, encouraging me to buy and to look at my Favourite Sellers and so on.  But for months now, I've just been deleting them.  I don't even bother compiling much of a Watch List any more and these days I don't sit up late into the night waiting for an auction to end.  I don't have much of an ebay life, it's true.

It began with enforced Paypal.  If something's as great as ebay claim Paypal is -- why would they need to force people to use it ?  No-one's ever had to force me to eat chocolate or watch a good movie ...

Then the Hidden Bidding -- it didn't seem a good idea to me.  It seemed as ebay was intent on hiding something.

Along came the one-sided Feedback rules.  Smacks of injustice, everyone can see that.  As a buyer, I decided I'd give great feedback even to useless sellers, just to even the scales a bit, lol.

After a while, even though I protested against all the above in the hope ebay would take its customers into consideration, it dawned on me that ebay didn't give a damn about how its customers felt.  Ebay didn't care if people liked things or not.  Ebay slapped it all in everyone's face and said, ' You don't matter.  Like it or lump it '.

Well, when someone insults you to your face, they leave you no option.  Only response was to let ebay know, in a very small way, that I didn't like it and thus wasn't going to ebay any more.

I feel insulted by ebay.  I feel ebay's shown me no consideration or respect.  It's not the first time, either.  Ebay never helped me when I'd been ripped off, even though I'd taken ebay's promises of 'safe trading environment' seriously at the beginning. 

Personally, I believe ebay deserves to nose-dive into obscurity until it learns to put its customers, its patrons, first.

How do you feel about ebay .. do you feel valued and respected ?  Do you feel ebay has your best interests at heart ?

Primaryaim

Re: Do You Get the Feeling Ebay Respects You ... or Not ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 04:49:18 PM »
Imp
I think Oztion does works for some but a lot of patience is required and it is definitely not for anyone needing to make a living or some weekly pocket money.

It is different and the buyers buy differently. Once a seller works it out, they do start to make progress but it is slow.

meatloaf20040

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 04:55:43 PM »
Does Ebay lnow the meaning of RESPECT

Primaryaim

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 05:04:55 PM »
Hi Gina, Welcome.

I don't think that word is in their vocabulary.

eBay's forum intermediary, Shane, tells us lies and shows favouritism to some. Where is the respect in that?

Primaryaim

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 05:24:33 PM »
Me too Imp. I have had more success there than I ever expected and if I can get off here I can list some more :)

However, eBay was my first love and you know you never really forget your first love. At the moment they are being the B you dumped because you found aspects of their personality you did not like. If we could just send them to counselling we might get back the eBay we loved :)

imperfect

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 05:27:37 PM »
counselling we might get back the eBay we loved

You said it!!

heheh, I need to go take some pics for my web site but I've been fiddling around on the net all day..terrible!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
I do not feel that I am important to eBay; I don't feel my opinion matters, and I feel as if eBay has made decisions that make it HARDER for me on eBay as a buyer rather than easier.

eBay aren't listening to their members.

No, Frangi - I don't feel eBay respects me. Of course, eBay is a business; eBay shareholders want a return, and those holding executive positions in eBay have demonstrably no particular interest in the eBay users - but that would not be a problem. I don't really need eBay executives to invite me over for dinner! The problem is that I feel they despise the customer base - both buyers and sellers - and pay no attention to their voice. When that happens, when contempt for the customer base becomes so blatant, I think there's a real problem...

I feel horribly sorry for the eBay employees who were sacked recently, leaving Australia very understaffed. The moderators on eBay have a shockingly difficult job; no two ways about it. I am not sure that, even given the problems those mods are facing, the moderators could be said to be doing a perfect job, but I acknowledge the difficulties. Dealing with deliberately disruptive influences makes any job a nightmare. Also dealing within the constraints of a system that doesn't really permit the highest level of customer service (to say the least) gives an added burden to the whole thing.

But the end result is... we feel lost, disenfranchised, unheard, without the respect that is automatically given to good customers in virtually any other business in the world.

I very much hope eBay finds its way back out of this black hole. Why don't the eBay executives listen to their customers? There are wonderful suggestions to hear from both buyers and sellers, and those suggestions could a) promote financial growth within the company and b) woo back the members who have left or who have reduced their eBay presence because of insulting and unworkable decisions.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

col52

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 07:09:51 PM »

No, more the opposite, they feel hate towards me.

I do not feel that I am important to eBay; I don't feel my opinion matters, and I feel as if eBay has made decisions that make it HARDER for me on eBay as a buyer rather than easier.

eBay aren't listening to their members.

No, Frangi - I don't feel eBay respects me. Of course, eBay is a business; eBay shareholders want a return, and those holding executive positions in eBay have demonstrably no particular interest in the eBay users

They're not doing right by their own shareholders either countess. The share value is low, traffic to the site is dropping, page views are dropping, sellers are leaving - whilst Amazon has increased business by 17%.

saint_phoebe

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:32:01 PM »
Definitely "...or not" Frangi. Ebay have destroyed the site with no regard for members whatsoever.

Hi Meatloaf & welcome ;D

meatloaf20040

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 07:39:01 PM »
Waving to all I havent meet

And some must know me cause of the name shortening

Ebay gave up on Ebay Austalia when we fought and won the PP thing
They dont wont to listen to us any more

how can one company be so stupid to try and undermine the people that keep it afloat on a daily basis

We get no thanks for the help that most gave on the old boards
Did they start a thread and say thanks for the help ??

Well if they did I missed it

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »
Hello Meatloaf and welcome to the Round Table

col52

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 08:05:13 PM »
Hello Meatloaf, don't know if I know you.

saint_phoebe

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »
Meatloaf, now I know who you are ;D
I thought many times of posting in the old "thread killer" thread but thought I might kill it right off!
Cheers

frangi

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 09:08:41 PM »
Well, we can at least hope that someone buys up ebay's shares and boots out all the goons and returns ebay to the way it was.

No, no ... don't laugh.  It could happen  (don't want to see any of those flying pig smilies, either, you hear )

saint_phoebe

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 09:16:06 PM »

Sorry, just couldn't help it!

frangi

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 09:19:38 PM »
Ahhhhhh.... the cute laughing puppy tactic, huh.  Circumventing the flying pigs.  Where's the one I'm thinking of?.. she'll have that lovely little creature banished in no time flat. 

saint_phoebe

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 09:23:56 PM »

:please: :please: :please:

saint_phoebe

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »
It's ok - Beefy's got her contained :rofl:

frangi

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »
Oh my .... i know it's just a poor dumb animal and can't help it

.... but look at that face !  It's ...

LOOK at it !

saint_phoebe

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 09:32:53 PM »
EVIL??? :evillaugh:

(Just in case anyone's concerned, I don't hate cats :rose:)

frangi

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 09:40:43 PM »
Sort of looks like a bat, now I'm game to look at it properly

poor thing

saint_phoebe

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »
Certainly doesn't look happy does he.

frangi

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 10:00:59 PM »
And he's game, isn't he ?

Unless he's wearing protection ?

saint_phoebe

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 10:04:48 PM »
Yep, that'd bloody HURT! ;D

meatloaf20040

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 10:58:31 PM »
Col

I use to wonder onto the old RT
And the run back to CW cause I use to forget my hard hat

So I have seen you over there from time to time

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 11:02:40 PM »
Lola  #20

Belzeebub loves the cat. :devil:

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 11:07:12 PM »
Belzeebub loves the cat. :devil:

For dinner!

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »
mmmmm cat yum! :devil: :devil: :evillaugh:

col52

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 10:49:17 AM »
Col

I use to wonder onto the old RT
And the run back to CW cause I use to forget my hard hat

So I have seen you over there from time to time

Ah, not good without a hat. There were times you also had to wear a tinfoil hat to bounce the ebay thought reading waves.

matildasplace

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 11:24:58 AM »

I don't really care if eBay respects me or not. I love eBay and it works very well for me.

I think if I spent too much time thinking about how eBay operates it would do my head in. Just like anything else in my life I make the most of what is available and try to focus on the positives.

I am very lucky though because I have an awesome account manager who certainly respects me and bends over backwards to help me. He calls me at least once a week just to have a chat and see how things are going.

Its a shame not everyone can have the one on one support that some get but I guess that would be impossible.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 12:40:06 PM »
Tilly, that level of support must be terrific.

For sellers who are finding it hard - particularly in this economical onslaught where things may very well get worse - having someone to talk to on a professional basis, giving helpful insight and advice and trying to help with finding solutions might be even more vital to their survival, but as you say, resources could not possibly stretch to that one-on-one level.

Oh - I've just had an idea! SuperBuyer Support!

A friendly buyer manager calls once a week, suggests some wonderful items you might not have found in searching online, suggests some wonderful ways in which to obtain those items (as well as negotiate lower postage cost), and even arranges for the best way to pay!

I actually like that idea. Yes... I have something there...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »
A SuperBuyer Support sounds great to me.

I still buy on eBay, but find I am doing more of my online shopping directly with online stores - many of whom I have found through eBay :D, either from a previous purchase as they also sell on eBay or through a sponsored link (which most sellers hate as they direct traffic away from eBay listings)

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 11:14:16 PM »
ebay respects me??

NAHHHHHHH  ::)

I don't think they actually respect anyone anymore - not even the share holders.

I suspect they tried to change their game plan, and when it hasn't worked, are now just floundering.....

And we, the users, suffer for it

Did647

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2009, 03:38:37 PM »
Funny! I have been posting about respect in the "if Paypal is instant" thread on Ebay.  No Ebay definitely does not respect me. >:(

Forums are very handy, it could be difficult sometimes, but an awful lot of great advice was administered from the old RT. My favourite Auction apps both have very accessible, active and helpful forums. Members who are using the apps everyday are great!!  Jbidwatcher in particular, it has buttons for both forum and support in the toolbar. Imagine how good that would :D