Author Topic: The Saturday Off Topic Thread - no rules- Any Topic is On Topic  (Read 40136 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Re: The Monday Off Topic Thread - no rules- Any Topic is On Topic
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2009, 05:14:16 AM »
Yes, beautiful shots. Sometimes the beauty of what we see is so stunningly captured by a photo that it catches at the heart.

I'd like to learn more about taking great shots.

And now, for something completely off-topic: my cat has had his flea collar removed. I harbour dark suspicions that "the woman at number 9" did it. If only I had the time for full-time surveillance, as well as a SWAT team to search her house for the evidence.  :mug: :tongueincheek: (I knew that those new emoticons would have a time and a place.)
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

gr8-expectations

Re: The Tuesday Off Topic Thread - no rules- Any Topic is On Topic
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2009, 08:26:21 AM »
lol - i think the melbourne underworld is having a strange effect on you l8tly countess....

just an observation by da count

gr8-expectations

« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2009, 08:27:09 AM »
give chopper a call and see what he can do...

**cupie**

« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2009, 08:28:51 AM »
Garn..... :mug:

gr8-expectations

« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2009, 08:33:43 AM »
if hes busy try mick gatto, he will sort the old girl out...

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
Re: The Monday Off Topic Thread - no rules- Any Topic is On Topic
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2009, 09:09:08 AM »
Hey thanks for that.
I say I'd like a new camera because I'm not satisfied with the amount of field I can get... the pic's may look great BUT, it's a very small representation of what I can see down there on the beach shooting that.......
The options are adaptor lenses. Problem is deciding whats best given that some are not all that optically fine and can have light losses in the compound lens. 
Just a matter of time before I can afford a nice high res. Sony, Cannon or Pentax DSLR.
Close up filters are just one single lens effectively zero light loss and few problems look here.
http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.806~search.close%20up%20filter
For coins a home made light box with a +5, +10 , +20 would be my start point. Circular polarisers can help with auto focus or zoom CP a must. In DSLR I use samsung they made the bodies for pentax and are slightly cheaper new, much cheaper used even just a few months old.
Also Pentax / samsung is the only one that really supports ALL old lens . For instance a fully manual macro 75mm screw lens from 1950 can be fitted to current DSLR pentax bodies. Not usually a good choice, as now collectiable expensive and usually needs expensive service. However many excellent macros from the 70 / 90 not expensive . The 50 macro I use from 1980 cost me about $100 is manual focus  replacement similar quality glass would be over $700 new and auto focus not good in macro anyway. Also after 1980 the coatings applied to lens glass are modern chemicals. 

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2009, 01:49:33 PM »
Shyer, you sound like a camera man/woman. Perhaps you can give a few pointers about what to look for in a camera when buying online (or offline for that matter). There are definitely some photo and camera enthusiasts here who'd love a discussion of that nature.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2009, 03:35:40 PM »
Yes.. thanks for that link and advise.
Checking out all the goodies there now.

The light losses I was worried about were associated with wide angle adaptors. They do have a degree optical distortion due to a range of 130o - 180o, but thats of little consern given the subject. It's that get the whole sky in frame I'd like to achive.
pobox486cronulla@hotmail.com    I have NO HERO'S or IDOLS.  I will question everything and anyone having faith only in myself.

**cupie**

Re: The Wednesday Off Topic Thread - no rules- Any Topic is On Topic
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2009, 06:52:23 AM »
Morning all...It's Wednesday the sun is trying to shine, no wind storms, no obvious rain, no hurricanes and no bushfires...yet.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »
Wind here and quite strong at times.

Well, that was an inspired comment :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2009, 04:14:50 PM »
Wind here and quite strong at times.

Well, that was an inspired comment :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

Cent ! what are you doing up so early?....it's not night time yet...your a night owl !...LOL

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2009, 04:53:40 PM »
There's something about art deco which fails utterly to remind me of iPhones.

(Now - THAT'S off-topic.)

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2009, 10:09:02 PM »
Glass - I love it.  A frozen fluid.   Yeah... I collect Art Glass.

This is whats known as Cameo Glass. Genuine and made in France around the 1900's.
I think it's amazing pieces like this survived two major European Wars. 
A thin layer of coloured glass was fused to clear on this dish with a coral theme and then acid etched to produce the design in relief. Pretty obviously hand made as the three coral trees are not the same design.

Beware if you see items like this.  Lots of contemporary pieces getting around now made in Eastern Europe and China. This was purchased from a reputable dealer in Belgium for around 230 Euro and is old.
Sadly again... the problem of reproduction works sold by the unscrupulous as originals.

pobox486cronulla@hotmail.com    I have NO HERO'S or IDOLS.  I will question everything and anyone having faith only in myself.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
Re: The Thursday Off Topic Thread - no rules- Any Topic is On Topic
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2009, 10:44:07 PM »
That is interesting, misha. Lovely piece. And it is amazing how these fragile pieces have survived.

Which reference books about Cameo, and other glass, are considered the best?
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
Re: The Thursday Off Topic Thread - no rules- Any Topic is On Topic
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2009, 02:31:37 AM »
I don't have books like that unfortunately. I rely upon what I've learned in the past... been collecting glass for around 15years... most pieces still packed from moving 3years ago. Internet has been a great improvement for research and I've only been using it for 3years too. LOL

I've many interests so the books would become the collection if you know what I mean.
All my research files and books re. political stuff were left with friends in Sydney to use now. Lots of covert survelance pics of bad bad industrial sins in that lot. Years of trying to keep the buggas honest.
All NSW legislation and area specific so pretty useless here in WA. Good for them to continue on with.

As it is, I've virtually zero fiction works.... but some real beauty in the art books collected.
Perhaps I'll post some of the etchings soon if people are interested.  Norman Lindsay works and a recent Daryl Lindsay folio acquired last week.... sketches of the men of the AIF in France during 1916.  
All 1st editions dating from 1900 to around 1927.

I like having things of beauty around me. It helps cope with an ugly World outside.
Can't help it... I'm from a family of Artists, Engineers and Teachers.  
No choice in the parents or place of birth. LOL

Time for me to go I think.. been a long day.   Night all.