Author Topic: Vehicle Purchases on eBay  (Read 7692 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
Vehicle Purchases on eBay
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:32:14 AM »
I don't know how many of you read this in the eBay Announcements section, posted here by Wheels - but you should read it to be aware of this rather important change.

***eBay’s Vehicle Purchase Protection program to end 23 November 2009***    

04 November 2009 | 10:42AM EST

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/au/200911041042122.html

Over the past year, the number of claims to eBay’s Vehicle Purchase Protection program has decreased as more buyers take a proactive approach to safely buying a car. For the remaining claims that are received annually, it has become economically unviable to continue this insurance program coverage for car purchases. As such, any car purchases made after November 23, 2009 will no longer be covered by the Vehicle Purchase Protection program.

Please see our FAQ page for more details.

All vehicle buyers should take proactive steps to achieve a safe vehicle transaction. A helpful source of tips on purchasing vehicles is found in our buyer checklist. At the very least, eBay encourages buyers to undertake the following two actions when purchasing a vehicle online:

1. Always inspect the car or have it inspected. A car is a large purchase, and it is best to inspect the vehicle before buying in order to make sure everything is as described. If you can’t get to the car because of time limitation or distance, get somebody else to inspect it for you. A professional inspection can discover mechanical or other issues that may not be visible.

2. Purchase a vehicle history check. Learn the history of the vehicle by purchasing a report. eBay recommends Veda Auto Reports, but there are other providers. A $20 to $40 report can tell you if the car has any encumbrance or if it was written off.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
Re: Vehicle Purchases on eBay
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:49:48 AM »
eBay recommends Veda Auto Reports,

Why do they recommend that service provider?
pobox486cronulla@hotmail.com    I have NO HERO'S or IDOLS.  I will question everything and anyone having faith only in myself.

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »

Simple Veda pays ebay for referals

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »
I'd never consider buying a MV via eBay but it's interesting to note that a decrease in problem sales makes it non-viable for them to offer a means of remedy through an 'insurance' scheme.

Does that mean after the process has been deleted, which would be considered a negative to a scammer, problems could increase and then it will become economically viable for eBay to re-implement a scheme that they might get a kick back from?
pobox486cronulla@hotmail.com    I have NO HERO'S or IDOLS.  I will question everything and anyone having faith only in myself.

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:01:20 AM »

Simple Veda pays ebay for referals

Yeah... it was a rhetorical question.

wyzeguy60

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 02:07:39 PM »
I don't know how many of you read this in the eBay Announcements section, posted here by Wheels - but you should read it to be aware of this rather important change.

***eBay’s Vehicle Purchase Protection program to end 23 November 2009***    

04 November 2009 | 10:42AM EST

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/au/200911041042122.html

Over the past year, the number of claims to eBay’s Vehicle Purchase Protection program has decreased as more buyers take a proactive approach to safely buying a car. For the remaining claims that are received annually, it has become economically unviable to continue this insurance program coverage for car purchases. As such, any car purchases made after November 23, 2009 will no longer be covered by the Vehicle Purchase Protection program.

Please see our FAQ page for more details.

All vehicle buyers should take proactive steps to achieve a safe vehicle transaction. A helpful source of tips on purchasing vehicles is found in our buyer checklist. At the very least, eBay encourages buyers to undertake the following two actions when purchasing a vehicle online:

1. Always inspect the car or have it inspected. A car is a large purchase, and it is best to inspect the vehicle before buying in order to make sure everything is as described. If you can’t get to the car because of time limitation or distance, get somebody else to inspect it for you. A professional inspection can discover mechanical or other issues that may not be visible.

2. Purchase a vehicle history check. Learn the history of the vehicle by purchasing a report. eBay recommends Veda Auto Reports, but there are other providers. A $20 to $40 report can tell you if the car has any encumbrance or if it was written off.

I would like to re - arrange this sentence if possible

" it has become economically unviable to continue this insurance program coverage for car purchases "

should read

" due to the overwhelming number of claims received and continual and large drain on our finances and unwillingness of any insurance firm to back us, we are ceasing the program "

;D

PPS - Misha - yes, i read it as that too !!!

misha

• Membermn
  • Knight of the RT
  • NO CONFIDENCE
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »
They must really think we don't have the bullshit detectors turned on.

It's quite clear to me what that all means.

NO CONFIDENCE

LOL  I do recall the time I saw a notorious coin fraudster selling a car on eBay... didn't look good man.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:18:32 PM »
Now that's surprising! I would have thought that they could have held back the sellers funds for..... maybe a year or two to avoid having to fund any claims. No imagination, these people!

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 08:19:14 PM »
Now that's surprising! I would have thought that they could have held back the sellers funds for..... maybe a year or two to avoid having to fund any claims. No imagination, these people!

Shhhhhhh ! don't give em any ideas r3......

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »
Yib - They have NO IDEA! Isn't it our civic responsibility to assist?

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »

Yeh but r ...are you saying the seller gets no payment for a year?

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 08:37:18 PM »
No Yib...... make it two....or possibly 5 years! Ebay has to protect itself at all and from all costs! (pardon me Yib - the issue makes me cranky!)

First - Paypal hold back a percentage of seller funds (stated to be limited number of customers @ 1% - proves to be just about all - and upto 20% [the lying barstards]) Hence - the 20K protection is becoming totally self funded by the sellers themselves..... while crashing their cashflow and probably sending many small sellers to the wall. And now - bugga the protection on motor vehicles! Another expense that this mob of crooks don't have to worry about..... but bigtime gains in the greed bottom line apply! Ebay / Paypal giveth - and the management taketh away! Is it any wonder that people are looking for alternatives????
 :sick: :keelhaul:

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 08:45:29 PM »

I see your point....I think..

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 08:52:58 PM »
 ;D No Yib...... make it two....or possibly 5 years! (only me being a silly B****)

I'm surprised that Paypal didn't actually think of doing this. Consumer backlash certainly doesn't appear to be an issue. Can't blame Ebay ..... they're only a venue you know. Interestingly - no raising whatsoever on the Ebay forums. People must think it an ok development.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 09:22:21 PM »
wyzeguy60 is pretty well on the mark, IMO.

I can't imagine ANY insurance setup where it is terminated because of a reduction in claims.

It's more likely to be a cost reduction exercise from either excessive claims and/or elimination of facility administration and claims processing costs.

Bet you the savings won't be passed on to the people who pay the fees...!

Bazinga

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 08:33:47 AM »
I went to inspect a car I saw on ebay and it was the biggest POS I have ever seen.
It was a rolling piece of junk and belonged in the wreckers.

It was nothing like the item description or pictures, pity help anyone buying sight unseen.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 02:32:20 PM »
Yes Hawk, sight unseen is a risk in any online purchase - but vehicles are a particular concern.

I once was interested in a vehicle, located quite nearby, so I organised to have a look at it.

WELL!

I couldn't say the description was wrong - but it's relationship to the vehicle was very much on the optimistic side.

What WAS troubling is that I have done some of my own mechanical work and am familiar with how a few things should look like under the bonnet and elsewhere.  Not inspiring at all.

Further, it was an LPG converted vehicle and since I had done a little helping out with my mechanic (a licensed one) who does LPG as well, I have learned some of the rules and techniques of LPG installation.  (FYI - from my observations, safety is the top consideration).

The LPG on this one was as dodgy as all hell.  I walked away, glad they didn't try and start it.

So, yes Hawk.  Inspecting a vehicle is absolutely necessary - but even more important is to have it done by someone you trust who knows what they are looking at!