Author Topic: ELECTION AFTERMATH!!!  (Read 142257 times)

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
Re: ELECTION AFTERMATH!!!
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2010, 08:26:58 PM »
Yeah Golden, they have a bit of recoil.

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »
Can't leave you on your own for an instant, can I? All of a sudden it's guns everywhere!

Dragging the topic back... Let me quote from the first chapter of the Constitution, dealing with Parliament. It's Section 40:
40 Voting in House of Representatives

Questions arising in the House of Representatives shall be determined by a majority of votes other than that of the Speaker. The Speaker shall not vote unless the numbers are equal, and then he shall have a casting vote.

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

elantra

« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2010, 09:20:37 PM »
Lo! and Behold !! :)

Trala!! had been converted and seen the error of his/her ways, I wonder if it was the ingestion of crow that did the trick?

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Funny is funny.

I agree - but the piece you posted portrays Tony Abbott as a thinking person and is derisive of Labor party members - particularly Julia Gillard.

Did you really get, "Tony Abbott as a thinking person" FROM THAT? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hello, it's a joke Joyce!!

Although,,,, I have just found out why you liberal voters  believe in Tony Abbott ,, you can't tell the difference between a joke & what you think Tony Abbott  is!!!!

But take heart,, I can't tell the difference between a joke & Tony Abbott either!!

This seems somewhat opposite to your previously indicated views ... that were stated with some conviction.

Anyway, you should be eating the crow,
to which I must admit you did a very good job of dishing it up.
So it must be a dish you are very famillar with!!!

I am also curious as to why you think Poddy should eat crow?
I was the one to predict a Labour Government, okay I did saywould win by seven seats, was 5 off but, there is a Labor Gov!!

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »
Golden & R numbers. We've been very naughty & taken the thread off topic. If I wasn't the keelhauler I'd keelhaul us.

Poddy

« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2010, 09:28:36 PM »
But for how long Trala!!?

Care to predict ?  ;)

Poddy

« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2010, 09:32:23 PM »
Imagine Robbo as speaker and having to cast a vote.
The house woluld be held in suspence for at leeast 2 days and the have to endure a seven hour preamble before the vote.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2010, 09:34:10 PM »
I see Kevin saw fit to give away another billion dollars of our money today
has he been given an open cheque book again ??
we have no hope on Gods earth of clearing the debt within 3 years as Joooooooooooolya Wayne Swan promised .....no hope whatsoever ....They really need to stop just giving money away willy nilly and either pay off the debt or put it to good use in this Country

sunshine

• New Knight
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2010, 09:41:50 PM »

elantra

« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2010, 10:49:30 PM »
Phony Tony Breaks his word,
WOW!!! who would have thought that.

Same thing would have happened with work choices.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/abbott--told-me-he-will-break-his-word-on-deal-gillard-20100923-15o7m.html?autostart=1

elantra

« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »
But for how long Trala!!?

Care to predict ?  ;)

THREE YEARS !!!

Poddy

« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2010, 10:59:15 PM »
Trala!!

Care to participate in a little wager?

What about $100? The loser donates that amount to Wokkies Marysville rebuilding fund.

Are you game ? :)

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2010, 10:59:42 PM »
will struggle to last 3 months

but they wont have an election till around Easter

whenever it is , it will be before the new senate takes over in the middle of next year

heaven help us when the next budget comes out if Labor are still in power 

Poddy

« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
In addition to the $100, a public crow eating :)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2010, 11:10:32 PM »
I was the one to predict a Labour Government, okay I did saywould win by seven seats, was 5 off but, there is a Labor Gov!!

I am reluctant to consider it a true Labor government.  It is a Labor led group that achieved the ability to form a government with the support of some independants through negotiation. Labor did not 'win' the election at all and it has been quite correctly called a minority government for exactly that reason.

Had the independants gone the other way, the Liberals' position would be much the same.

As for you being '5 off', that is clearly incorrect - since you were being very particular about a Labor vote. Even if we accept the pre-election coalition arrangement with the Greens as being part of the 'Labor' vote (as has been customary for the Liberals), there is no majority at all.

You may feel I am being pedantic - and I can accept that you would want to hold such an opinion - but the fact of the matter is, the minority Labor led government cannot operate as it would have had it achieved a majority vote in its own right.  This has been clearly stated on numerous occasions and has already been cited as a reason why Labor is not going to be able to deliver on its pre-election promises.

The political scene is precarious - because Labor did NOT 'win' the election.

callostemma

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
So the boys out the back know what they are doing.? :yesmaster:    Whichever party rules first will get ousted,  as it cannot govern

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »
It's not that the government cannot govern - that is, perhaps, one of the useful roles of the governor-general. Whoever seeks government needs to get their approval to do so.  Normally, in a clear election win, this is just a formality as the governor-general will have no grounds to doubt the ability of the winner to govern.

In the situation we have now, however, the governor-general has a power that is essential in vetting who assumes the mantle of government. In such a close battle, somebody needs to be able to check that the proposed government is sound enough to function.

As such, Labor has assembled a sufficient proposal for the governor-general to be able to give the nod, so there is enough for a government to be formed ... which means there is enough for a government to function ............ at the moment.

If things change and the government loses any support, a vote of 'no confidence' could be carried and everything will get tossed up in the air.

Even the coalition with the Greens has its loophole ... according to the excerpt of the agreement between Labor and the Greens presented elsewhere on this forum, the Greens will not vote for a motion of no confidence in the government - unless the motion is put by a member of the Greens.  So even THAT coalition has an escape clause that could put Labor out in the cold.

There's lies, damn lies and statistics ... followed a long way off by politics.

elantra

« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2010, 03:48:38 PM »
Trala!!

Care to participate in a little wager?

What about $100? The loser donates that amount to Wokkies Marysville rebuilding fund.

Are you game ? :)

More than game.
But I only donate to the RSPCA where I do volunteer work.
So if thats suitable.

But what is Wokkies Marysville rebuilding fund??

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »
Da_Ewok is a much-respected member here, whose parents lived in Marysville and stood to the last man to defend the town - even in the after-days when what mattered was holding the community together when so much had been lost.

Da_Ewok drove like a hero through smoke and forest, overcoming fallen trees and police blockades to get to her parents on that terrible night with supplies and whatever assistance she could give.

Afterwards she began collecting together great classic Australian recipes that are simple to prepare and give a sense of comfort and warmth - as a way of helping all who had lost everything, even down to their favourite recipes. We don't often think of how much of the simple things we'd miss if something of that disastrous scope happened to us, but many of the survivors were heard to speak with numb disbelief of not even being able to cook or bake the traditional recipes anymore, since their cookbooks had burned up along with their clothes, photographs, writings, drawings, gatherings, mementos, etc.

Da_Ewok not only collected together all of these recipes, but turned it into a cookbook which is being sold for the purpose of raising money for the devastated community of Marysville, to help with its rebuilding.

There is no better cause.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Poddy

« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2010, 08:37:12 PM »
Thank you Tessa :)
You are way more eloquent that I in the way you put things

Trula!! as much as I love animals and the RSPCA for the work they do, in this case I think that rebuilding a devastated community takes priority.

May I suggest that you check out wokkies blog and web page :)

http://www.itaintalwaysso.blogspot.com/
http://www.itaintalwaysmylife.blogspot.com/
http://www.marysvillecookbook.com/ come and buy a copy!

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2010, 09:17:45 AM »
NBN switches to 'opt-out' model to boost take-up

The move to shore up the viability of Australia's first fibre-optic cable rollout follows official estimates that only 16 to 25 per cent of premises passed by the rollout would take up subscriptions to access the high-speed internet it offers.

http://http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/nbn-switches-to-opt-out-model-to-boost-take-up/story-fn59niix-1225935147644?referrer=email&source=Punch_nl&emcmp=Punch&emchn=Newsletter&emlist=Member

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2010, 08:52:19 PM »
Customers may be forced on to NBN to keep phones

"Anyone who has a fixed-line phone service will continue to have a fixed-line phone service," the spokeswoman said. But before a home owner can choose a telecommunications provider for their fixed telephone line they must opt in to the NBN network.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/customers-may-be-forced-on-to-nbn-to-keep-phones/story-fn59niix-1225937394605

Very difficult to get a voltage to conduct through glass.... = power out.... phone line out. And also..... what happened to freedom of choice?

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
Connect to NBN now or pay up to $300 for phone line

If Australians do not opt in to the national broadband network (NBN) as it is rolled out they will lose their fixed-line phone service unless they pay a one-time fee of about $300.

Communications Minister Stephen Conroy has said repeatedly that he would not be forcing homes on to the NBN, however, if consumers want to keep their fixed-line telephone service once Telstra has decommissioned its copper network, then they will need to connect to the new network.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/connect-to-nbn-now-or-pay-up-to-300-for-phone-line-20101015-16ms3.html

HellWest'nCrooked

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2010, 11:45:27 PM »

It is the one-time fee that gets me.  Every week there is a one-off fee for some thing or other!

Don't get me started   lol

Hi loco........hope your well
Ain't no rhyme or reason
No complicated meaning

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2010, 06:43:01 AM »
Good to see you westy.... not too bad this end, after another all-nighter!

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2010, 07:48:37 PM »
Labor Stimulus by:

Gillard and Swan.

Sometime this year, we taxpayers may again receive another 'Economic Stimulus' payment.

This is indeed a very exciting program, and I'll explain it by
using a Q & A format:

Q.  What is an 'Economic Stimulus' payment ?

A.  It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

Q.  Where will the government get this money ?

A.   From taxpayers.

Q.  So the government is giving me back my own money ?

A.  Only a smidgen of it.

Q.  What is the purpose of this payment ?

A.  The plan is for you to use the money to purchase a high-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.

Q.  But isn't that stimulating the economy of  China  ?

A.  Shut up.

Below is some helpful advice on how to best help the Aust. Economy by spending your stimulus cheque wisely:

If you spend the stimulus money at Coles,  the money will go to  China  or  Sri Lanka.

If you spend it on petrol, your money will go to the Arabs.

If you purchase a computer,  it will go to  India ,  Taiwan  or China. 

If you purchase fruit and vegetables, it will go to  Mexico , Honduras and
Guatemala.

If you buy an efficient car, it will go to  Japan  or  Korea.

If  you purchase useless stuff, it will go to  Taiwan.

If you pay your credit cards off, or buy stock, it will go to management bonuses and they will hide it offshore.

Instead,  keep the money in  Australia by:

1)  Spending it at garage sales.

2)  Going to the footy.

3) Buying Pluto Pups.

4)  Spending it on prostitutes or 

5)  Beer or 

6) Tattoos.

(These are the only Australian businesses still operating in   Australia  )

Conclusion:

Go to a footy game with a tattooed prostitute that you met at a garage-sale, eat Pluto Pups and drink beer all day !

No need to thank me,  I'm just glad I could be of help.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2010, 08:24:34 PM »
Good ideas there Ubbs..... but should Asian prostitutes be excluded?

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2010, 08:51:35 PM »
Yep Numbers, caucasian only, keep the money here in Australia..

Elantra

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »
So, do you guys except the fact that "The Mad Monk" lost the election,
or are you still clinging to some faint hope that the sky will fall?  ;D ;D

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2011, 06:15:33 PM »
So long as you accept the fact that Julia didn't win it.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »

Now aint that the truth!

ANNA BLIGH FOR PM!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2011, 06:50:42 PM »
speaking of Anna .... she was/is very unpopular as far as I could tell , however I must say that seeing and listening to her on TV regarding the flood crisis , she has impressed me with the way she has spoken and the way she has acted ... much better than that hand waving head nodding sour looking red headed thing that was prancing around with her for a while
Anna may well have saved her political skin with the way she has conducted herself over this terrible state of affairs

Elantra

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »

Now aint that the truth!

ANNA BLIGH FOR PM!
Were you ssying this a month ago?
or
Is this what's known as, jumping on the band wagon?

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2011, 06:59:55 PM »
Agree smee - I watched a real person, sharing genuine grief with her people. It appeared she wasn't simply playing politics. The others sort of looked like they were under burden being there - as if their minders had told them it was important for the sake of appearance. Prior to this dreadful event - I didn't know much about her at all - but what I've seen over the past few days...... a somewhat remarkable person.

Elantra - I think she'd make an excellent PM..... preferably a Lib .... she's miles above her Labor counterparts!

Oh - and I forgot to mention - I believed that you were aware that I made the mistake of voting Labor - for Kevin Rudd.

HellWest'nCrooked

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2011, 07:25:01 PM »

Surely someone could tell Joolya  to drop the patronizing tone, her advisers couldn't be that misled could they????
Ain't no rhyme or reason
No complicated meaning

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2011, 07:28:44 PM »
Westie , I dont think her advisors would have a hope in the world or her listening to them on that , its just the way she is ....the real Joolya ........a nasty piece of work ...you can tell just by looking at her ...she has that glare.

as I have said before , if she was in a cage you wouldnt throw peanuts at it !!!

if you knocked on her front door she would bark at you ....go off like one of those little yapping terriers I reckon

maybe even like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knNUIeVed54&feature=related

lacey

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2011, 08:21:16 PM »
lol, I wanna 50" led or is that LCD TV.  Huge, so I feel like I'm in the picture theatre.
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #186 on: January 15, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »
Either one is correct, Lacey - but the LED is the newer technology.

Yib picked himself up a Plasma TV (the first plat panel screen technology) - but it was 60" !!!

(Mind you, there are those who prefer them to the LCD and LED screens)

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #187 on: January 15, 2011, 10:47:45 PM »

63" ... to be precise... but size isn't the issue.. quality is.. Samsung TV's have both.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2011, 12:07:19 AM »
Either one is correct, Lacey - but the LED is the newer technology.

Yib picked himself up a Plasma TV (the first plat panel screen technology) - but it was 60"63" !!!

(Mind you, there are those who prefer them to the LCD and LED screens)

... but I'll give him the nod for it being a Samsung.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2011, 03:29:03 AM »
I am glad Samsung TV's get the nod. I have one in my computer area and I do like it.
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Poddy

« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2011, 06:08:42 AM »
OMG!!! is that a Tralaa!!! i se before me?

Where ya been? Thinking up that one liner?

Re-incarnation takes a while I see, any side effects?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »
Welcome back, Elantra.

By the way, I am still not impressed by Julia Gillard; I continue to be of the impression that she was fully aware of the intention to remove Kevin Rudd from the leadership and was part of it - and this is confirmed by the whole sordid Wikileaks thing. I continue to think that she made deals with the Greens and the Independents in order to remain Prime Minister at any cost. I continue to think that in so doing, she denuded the Labor Party's ability to manoeuvre as they'd need to be able to in order to govern properly in any sense. I think we have an atrocious leadership at the moment, hamstrung, hampered and hammy.

But let's be fair - after all, if the Liberal Party had gained the majority through making deals, it too would have been hamstrung, almost as badly.

I say "almost", because - I'm sorry - I have to point out that the Liberal Party would not have been virtually controlled by the Greens. It was an absolute given that Labor HAD to be in bed with the Greens in order to gain this hamstrung majority.

But there we are. We're dealing with the election aftermath, and there will be various opinions from people all around Australia. And each of those opinions has the right to be.

callostemma

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2011, 04:37:26 PM »
A narrow escape for the liberals. :cavalry:

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »
can I stick my neck out and make a prediction ??

I get the distinct feeling that Julia will be gone in 6 months ... let me rephrase that, Julia will no long be PM in 6 months

as the ad at the last election said, "don't let Julia foolya"

I think a lot of people have realised they have been fooled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yidl7o3hU0M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnKeMH8G1IU&feature=channel

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
greedy grubby gillards last gasp

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »
By goodness bnwt..... on the basis of your prediction..... may I suggest that if you're right that I'll be more than pleased to shout you a drink....or three? The mere thought has made my day!

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »
I think you are out by a few months bnwt ...I have said Easter all along , if she stays in office any longer its going to be a massive job to recover for this country i

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2011, 01:08:14 PM »
I'll find you an ale or three too smee!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #198 on: January 29, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »
I believe we need a strong, able, majority-held government. We cannot have a Prime Minister who is obliged to perform backflips in order to remain in power; it's too much pressure and such an invidious position.

To be fair to Julia Gillard, I think she is in the most disastrous knife-edge situation any nominative Australian PM has experienced. I don't think she's a good PM, but I am sympathetic to her position.

I do not want a Liberal government if it means it's just "barely holding it" - dependent upon Independents just to remain in power. I want a clear-cut government that will be able to build up Australia into something strong and prepared.

Can I ask wiser and more experienced heads than mine... Do you think we will have another election in the timeframes you've mentioned? Or do you envisage that the Coalition will simply be asked in as a minority government?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #199 on: January 29, 2011, 01:31:47 PM »
I think we will have another election , I think it has to happen , you're right no government should be expected to try and govern without a clear majority , its a recipe for disaster .
We should have returned to the polls the week after the last election when after a day it was clear that there was not going to be a clear majority , that would have been the wisest and most econonmic decision. On the bright side I guess allowing Joolya to have a crack at it for a few months has made more people realise that she just doesnt cut the mustard . If an election was held today the Libs would win by 10-20 seats IMO a nd Oakshott would struggle to get a vote in his electorate ..One thing about Aussie people they hate people trying to pull  the wool over their eyes .