Author Topic: SPECIAL THANKS to two of the members - to Poddy and to Smee  (Read 17062 times)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
SPECIAL THANKS to two of the members - to Poddy and to Smee
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »
Firstly - Poddy, your generosity and helpfulness in putting together and sending to me that robust, gutsy, well-able-to-handle-itself computer is overwhelmingly appreciated. I wanted to say Thank You publicly as well as privately. You are a person of the highest integrity and kindness, and I wanted everyone to know that.

:youaretheman: :thanks: :10:

By the way - to everyone thinking of getting a new computer monitor, may I suggest the Samsung 2233SW? Send me a PM if you'd like to know the name of a shop which gives positively the best deal on this that you can imagine.

Secondly - to Smee, for outstanding service as a seller. I ordered some DVDs from Smee, paid by bank transfer, received the DVDs in excellent condition (possibly the best packaging of DVDs that I've seen). Since it was an off-eBay transaction, I can't give feedback there, but I can say HERE and NOW that Smee is a  5 :star: seller.

Item as described :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Communication :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Postage time :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Postage and handling charges            :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

Poddy

Re: SPECIAL THANKS to two of the members - to Poddy and to Smee
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 11:24:35 PM »
Congtessa,

For all you have done in getting this site operational, your continued selfless effort in making sure that it operates without major drama, that was a mere token of my appreciation and all the other people here.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:35:13 AM »

Bravo! I agree poddy ;D

:applause:  :applause: :applause:

“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 12:45:08 AM »
Bravo ! Bravo !...Encore ! Encore !........Bravo ! Bravo !...Encore ! Encore !........Bravo ! Bravo !...Encore ! Encore !........Bravo ! Bravo !...Encore ! Encore !........
Bravo ! Bravo !...Encore ! Encore !........

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »
Excessive Glad-Handing will cause a rash.

You have been warned.
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

Bellagina

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 10:24:23 PM »
I really think that the very best ppl form the old RT are here  - and I appreciate all of them.  :angel: :t2: :applause:

I always did think the Countess was especially special! :thanks:

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 10:28:38 PM »
Thank you Countess , I was more than happy to help out with your special dvd order and the same applies to anyone here if you are having trouble finding particular dvds at the right price message me a wish list and if I can get them I am happy to supply my friends here at mates rates

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 11:21:24 PM »

Sorry I made a boo-boo! No rash for applause for great people ;D
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 11:28:12 PM »
That is very kind , smee.

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 11:31:09 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :kisshug:

Kisses and Hugs all round.  

Hi Centuries.  I just looooove your cat.  Is it soooo you.
:duckling:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 11:36:41 PM »

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 12:46:38 PM »
 :t2:

I'd like to add my appreciation to all the members of the OzRT.

Maybe we could have a 'recommended sellers' board for websites and eBay stores?

I don't have any products to sell, I get paid for my advice and experience.  ;)

cueperkins

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 01:53:28 PM »
Hey Smee....yes please.....but I want CD's - don't have a DVD player.....Don't suppose you've ever heard of Dutch Tilders?....Working Man Blues?....have to have it...can't find it......he's an Aussie...doesn't play anymore.....Years ago, he used to play and sing solo...then he joined with Kevin Borich for a while....about the only time Kev Borich's band got interesting.......also Welcome to My Nightmare - Alice Cooper - would love to get a copy of that....I have it on vinyl, but can't get a reasonably priced diamond needle for me turntable.. - It's a Beogram 1700 Bang & Olufsen and the needle cartridge nmc20S.  Now if you can find me one of those cheap, I'd think you amazing......

Another one I have on vinyl but not on CD is George Harrison All things must Pass.....a classic.....and I'd love to get hold of another copy of that...I was going to buy one of those turntables that connect to your computer, so I can burn copies of my albums (many of which you just can't get anymore)...not sure if the technology is worth it though?  Anyone know anything about turntables that connect to computer for burning

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 01:56:12 PM »
Hey Smee....yes please.....but I want CD's - don't have a DVD player.....Don't suppose you've ever heard of Dutch Tilders?....Working Man Blues?....have to have it...can't find it......he's an Aussie...doesn't play anymore.....Years ago, he used to play and sing solo...then he joined with Kevin Borich for a while....about the only time Kev Borich's band got interesting.......also Welcome to My Nightmare - Alice Cooper - would love to get a copy of that....I have it on vinyl, but can't get a reasonably priced diamond needle for me turntable.. - It's a Beogram 1700 Bang & Olufsen and the needle cartridge nmc20S.  Now if you can find me one of those cheap, I'd think you amazing......

Another one I have on vinyl but not on CD is George Harrison All things must Pass.....a classic.....and I'd love to get hold of another copy of that...I was going to buy one of those turntables that connect to your computer, so I can burn copies of my albums (many of which you just can't get anymore)...not sure if the technology is worth it though?  Anyone know anything about turntables that connect to computer for burning

Jeeeeese !... talk about giving an inch and taking three feet !....LOL @ Cupie........

cueperkins

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 02:01:46 PM »
You have no idea......rural Aussies go without......a lot !!!

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT

cueperkins

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 02:37:21 PM »
Yes Wheels that's the type of thing...there's also a Sony one, but I heard the technology isn't fabulous yet....I'd also want to have some kind of equalizer or sound mixing ability, so I can filter out any noise...I wonder if there's a sound mixer type program you can clean it up with ?....I'm in numptyville on this one....have to talk to someone who knows more about home sound studio technology.

cueperkins

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 02:41:49 PM »
Ships with Audacity software for removing clicks, pops and other vinyl sounds. Audacity supports highspeed recording and has ability to export to WAV and MP3 files

Just noticed this bit....so you can filter out noise, but not sure if it will burn to CD or DVD.....I'm sure it would...I didn't notice any way to adjust the actual sound of it though.....maybe that's another add on type program...talking out of my hat now.....lol...will have to take a good look at all of it....just thought because Poddy was involved in Sound studios, he might know the best technology for this type of thing. 

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »
Oh boy... that turntable with USB looks very nice indeed... I have some vinyl records that have not been released on CD, which I haven't been able to play for a very long time.

Edita Gruberova singing Wolf Lieder...
Elly Ameling singing Christmas songs...

Wheels, I think your idea of a Recommended Sellers' board for websites and eBay sellers is excellent. As long as it's clear that it's consumer-to-consumer, it seems the admin here wouldn't be held at fault if things went pineapple-shaped - and it would give an opportunity for the truly top sellers (whom we know from experience to be excellent) to be known. This wouldn't be like the entirely fictitious apparent reliability of being a Diamond Seller; it wouldn't have anything to do with eBay's revenue or the seller's turnover.

I like the idea. I'll have to have it checked and examined and strip-searched to make sure it holds no hidden problems, and see that it's discussed, but at first glance - I like it.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

cueperkins

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 03:06:01 PM »
I think, that if you are going to post a sellers ID and details here, even if it is complimentary, then they should be emailed first to ask if it's OK...I'm sure it would be, but it is always best to ask....I have purchased from a few great sellers lately, and I had considered emailing them to ask if they minded if I posted about their product and service on this forum.....but that was a few months back....now that wheels has brought it up....I think it's a great idea....but again, I think that a courtesy email asking first, would be prudent.

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 05:01:11 PM »
I think it is a good idea, pending countessa's findings on the matter. And I certainly agree it would be necessary to request permission from any seller before mentioning them.

I am sure members here would only be nominating reliable sellers ;D

It would not mean that there would never be a slip up, (people are human!) but it would indicate that the communication and all aspects of the transaction would be a pleasant experience, plus good packing etc., and methods of payment choices eg Credit Card,  and ( net bank etc. from Australian sellers). ;D ;D

I hope it will be possible.

cueperkins

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 05:11:24 PM »
I can't see why not....you only get into trouble with these things when you're publishing unjustified gripes about a seller....saying nice things couldn't be that bad could it?   It also gives them good reason to keep up the good work....always good to know who is considered reliable.  I have purchased from a couple of sellers over the years who always do a great job, they DON'T overcharge postage...= biggest pet gripe I have, and they are reliable and friendly.....can't stand postage rorters....I sold items online for 7.5 years prior to the paypal push, and I NEVER overcharged postage...in fact if it was less than the amount quoted, it was included in an envelope taped to the parcel securely with an email to the buyer....These days, asking a few questions seems to be an imposition for many.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 06:21:42 PM »
Hi Cupie , have done some checking for you and will message you the results , but in short I can get my hands on Alice Cooper - Welcome to my  nightmare and George Harrisson - All things must pass (2 cd set)
immediatley, the other 2 are are more of a challenge and also can point you in a direction to get your needle cartridge but be prepared to hand over a kidney or lung for that little baby   

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 01:00:43 AM »
Just on the USB turntables...... We have a stack of vinyl records here that have remained untouched for years. My better half visited an ALDI store recently and came home with one. I think it cost her $99. Came complete with Audacity software. It has an excellent quality ceramic pickup, quality of sound is great, and it is easy to use. Our records live again....... in newly converted high qual MP3 output files!

cueperkins

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 12:01:45 PM »
I think you are right about getting that needle Smee..it's a diamond so it's bloody expensive anyway......Used to be you could find a turntable needle in every single music store...now they're like hens teeth.  I have a 'put together' stereo, like we always had decades ago....Modular beat box style ones just sound awful.  Bose two way speakers are fantastic, mounted on a wall, Yamaha Amp, and a failing CD, which I may replace with DVD.  Even an old Nakamichi tape deck....  I'm sure I can pick up a cheap DVD player somewhere.

Hey 'R'......does Aldi still sell these?  If so, I may give them a call and find out if they're getting them in soon and give one a go.....I have a large stereo cabinet full to the brim with albums and I just WON'T throw them out.....there's a bit of an emotional link to because they are from a treasured timed, when it life was much simpler and seemingly more fun.

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 12:20:29 PM »
Good Morning Cupie :welcomedesk:

It was only in the past two weeks that these things were available. Should be still on the shelves. It might just be me - but the vinyl re-creations actually sound better than the itunes downloads!

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 12:29:10 PM »
For all you have done in getting this site operational, your continued selfless effort in making sure that it operates without major drama, that was a mere token of my appreciation and all the other people here.

Poddy - your kind gesture and wonderful words are both spectacular and accurate!...... as were your efforts smee!  :applause:

Poddy

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »
Contessa, Cupie PM me about transfering records to CD

Contessa you already have that software on your new PC :)

Poddy

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 09:16:42 PM »
P.S.

If you already have a decent turntable and an amplifier with an aux output you do NOT need tp spend any money on a USB turntable,

All you require is a an audio lead wit 3.5mm stereo plug one end and 2 X RCA plugs on the other and some time to do the transfer :)

I can supply you the software that removes clicks and pops and splits the record into tracks.

You can save the tracks as either MP3 for storage on your computer or transfer to an iPod or MP3 player or as WAV to creat CD that can be played on a CD player

We have the technology :)

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 09:21:09 PM »
I don't have a turntable... That's the problem.

Poddy

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 09:44:01 PM »
yep that is a problem:(

But not to worry, i'll have a look around for youto see what i can come up with if you wish :)

cueperkins

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 07:20:31 AM »
I have an excellent turntable, but the needle is hard to get...see earlier posts...it's a bang and olufsen.......I reckon the needle would cost as much or more than a USB turntable poddy....I'm going to take a look at the Aldi one today and I'll let you all know what it's like if I buy it.  Otherwise Pod, if you can find me a diamond turntable needle (which smee reckons is as rare as hens teeth), then that would be a start.  Not sure if it would still work with something that old...