Author Topic: Does putting your store on Holiday affect the ranking of your listing?  (Read 4593 times)

earthmother

I recently had to put my store on holiday due to (storewide) supply issues.
When I took my store off holiday setting I found it affected the ranking of my listings - is this standard?

(I've tried reading the ebay info about how rankings are created - sounds a bit gobble-de-goop-ish to me)

So if I encounter supply issues again say for an individual product, would you recommend any of the following (I understand that some of these will affect ranking of listings anyway):
a) ending the listing
b) editing your listing to include a visible note to the effect that the product is temporarily unavailable
c) raising the price of the product to make it temporarily unattractive
d) any other suggestions?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Re: Does putting your store on Holiday affect the ranking of your listing?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 05:07:46 PM »
I personally dont think its right to have a listing at all for stock that you dont physically have in your possession ......... I work on the motto that you cant have a buy it now if you cant supply it now !!!   but thats just my opinion ...

if you must keep the listing going at all then the only option I would entertain is the "pre-order" one where it CLEARLY states it in the title and the TOS/ description  

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 05:12:39 PM »
I think there is a period (7 days ?) where you can relist an ended item and the Best Match ranking is retained.

Best Match doesn't really affect our rankings because we try and find products that very few, if any, other sellers have listed.

There are some threads on this board including a question and answer session with Chris Dawson about Best Match that may be useful reading

http://www.ozroundtable.com/index.php?topic=1323.0

earthmother

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 05:38:24 PM »
I personally dont think its right to have a listing at all for stock that you dont physically have in your possession ......... I work on the motto that you cant have a buy it now if you cant supply it now !!!   but thats just my opinion

For sure smee.  At the time however I didn't know I had a supply issue until I rang my supplier.  Everyone who had ordered received an email explaining what had happened & had their money refunded within 48hours and the store was subsequently put on holiday.  I normally watch stock levels quite closely but it can be hard to manage at times if my supplier experiences a delay that I am not aware of.  Then the lag time affects my listing which in turn affects my ability to move stock when it does arrive.  I am dealing in a category where there are a number of other sellers selling the same thing so keeping a good ranking listing is important.

There are some threads on this board including a question and answer session with Chris Dawson about Best Match that may be useful reading
http://www.ozroundtable.com/index.php?topic=1323.0
Thanks - I will check this out - I did a search on putting store on holiday not best match. :rolleyes:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 06:25:25 PM »
Now what???
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"