Author Topic: paying by pay pal, but no registered mail?  (Read 4722 times)

square peg

• Knight of the RT
paying by pay pal, but no registered mail?
« on: June 17, 2010, 05:36:17 PM »
Hi, I am looking at purchasing an item on ebay, I will pay by pay pal as I have had a negative experience in the past, but there is no mention of registered postage - is this a problem for the buyer?

I doubt this is factored into his postage costs - as they are too low ($5)

I'm wondering if when I get to checkout, can he then charge me extra postage if I use pay pal? or does he have to stick with the $5 mentioned in his listing?

When I used to sell things, I only ever sent things by registered mail.
When opportunity knocks, don't complain about the noise.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: paying by pay pal, but no registered mail?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 05:40:15 PM »
Pegs, it is not a problem for you as a buyer. If the seller wants PayPal Seller Protection they have to use an approved trackable shipping method. For items less than $50 most sellers don't worry about Registered because if a parcel goes missing they can apply for reimbursement through Aus Post.

The Seller cannot add anything extra unless it is in the listing that payments by PayPal must pay for Registered. I avoid sellers who insist on Registered for small items.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »
PayPal Seller Protection

you must mean Aust Post registered post insurance

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 06:05:56 PM »
PayPal Seller Protection

Yes, to protect sellers from PayPal's No Questions Asked policy of refunding buyers who claim Item Not Received

Rebel*1*

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 06:15:39 PM »
See Unfair Consumer Contract Terms and the EFT Code of Conduct vs Paypal User Agreement aka Contract, to see what paypal is not, and doesn't offer !!!

In all common sense, it pays to read a user agreement before agreeing to it or relying upon it when all goes wrong. Paypal waive all imaginable liability and request a debit authority.

Any informed consumer would Run, not walk, to the nearest exit before agreeing to that. JMO

emptyheadted

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 06:20:50 PM »
alot of dealers charge registered post but send the coin via normal mail specially if value is under $50 as i believe you can claim up to $50 for normal lost postage specially if they kept the receipt. i dont mind that i have paid for registered post but coin arrives in normal post just as long as it arrives in good order. its a risk the seller takes and i would like to think that if it didnt show up they would set it right. so far so good i have had no problems with regards to my mail apart from getting to know my post man very well over the last few years as he always seems to have something to sign for and think he would be happy to know as i am  that half the registered post i pay for comes in the normal mail and as long as i get it thats all that matters

square peg

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »
thankyou for your answers, it just seemed a bit dodgy to me and I did not want to get scammed again - so all good
When opportunity knocks, don't complain about the noise.