Author Topic: eCommerce Shopping Cart recommendations?  (Read 7517 times)

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
eCommerce Shopping Cart recommendations?
« on: May 31, 2010, 09:31:54 PM »
Does anyone have recommendations for Shopping Cart software? The site is to be setup by an experienced computer user for another user (not so experienced) to maintain/update.

OScommerce, Magento, CubeCart, ZenCart, X-Cart, BigCommerce ???

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
Re: eCommerce Shopping Cart recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 09:51:09 PM »
*snipe*
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:57:04 PM »

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 10:22:07 PM »
No.

Stay on topic!
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 11:07:49 PM »
OScommerce is completely free, and once up and running it is very easy to maintain.

If there's someone reasonably familiar with php or at least able to follow instructions, and with access to MySQL database info, etc., it can be set up to the user's particular needs. Various payment options can be incorporated, and there are all sorts of add-ons and options available.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 11:18:38 PM »
Thanks Countessa. That's the one that he's decided to go with. And he'll be able to add it to the work resume.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 11:29:25 PM »
I'm curious to ask about several aspects - but my first is security: Do any carts have good or bad security issues?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 11:59:35 PM »
All carts focus on ensuring that information has a way of being sent securely, but of course it is necessary for the person uploading and setting up the cart software to take care of installing an SSL certificate for real security. As you no doubt know, there are separate issues in dealing with secure information - 1) on the site as the buyer enters the information (hence the need for encrypting the page), 2) in transit as the information is sent from the site to the payment gateway, and 3) from the payment gateway to the seller's bank. The payment gateway will take care of the information it sends... but the cart software must be properly installed and set up with regard to getting information to the payment gateway securely.

The seller is responsible for that secure transmission, and responsible for the secure collection of sensitive information.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 12:26:27 AM »
Any specific concerns from hacking vulnerabilities with any of the carts?

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »
I believe I have heard about hacking exploits among some shopping carts perhaps 5 or 6 years ago, but security has greatly improved since then. I think most of the shopping carts are much of a muchness in terms of security.

But for a full comparison, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_shopping_cart_software

However, I note that the comparison is inaccurate with regard to OScommerce. Almost everything marked as "no" is available to add as a mod. One of the things that I like about OScommerce is there is a great deal of versatility if one's prepared to put in the work testing it, trying it out., etc. (but having backed up just in case!).

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 01:16:53 AM »
A thousand questions more... but I will endeavour to find as many answers as possible without burdening you, Countessa.

Besides, I am conscious of the time...

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »
OK - getting buried under a lot of possibilities.

So I will focus on this question:

Cubecart  - vs - OsCommerce - which would you choose?

In answering, please answer from your own perspective - don't try and guess what I am after. I have several decades professional experience in the SDLC, so I can usually determine relevance of points raised. If not, I'll ask.

If you have some thoughts - but you would not like to disclose them publicly, then I would appreciate a PM.

*wheels*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:21:58 PM »
Brum6y, how did your brainstorming session go?

I've been having a look at ZenCart (just so we have comparison of a relative newbie trying to set up an eCommerce site against what the wonderkid comes up with using OSCommerce for his current project). I have to say that after just a few hours, including the download and uploading times, it's looking pretty good! I am using a downloaded template and just following my nose through the instructions.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 01:41:38 AM »
Brainstorming - like a damp Wettex.

Frustrating!

ZenCart isn't satisfactory for my seller as the invoice cannot be amended. They have a couple of circumstances where amendment is far superior than recreation.

They were looking to run with CubeCart V3 with some Aussie home-grown mods wrapped up in a product called KenzKart.  That product has now been restructured, so that the mods will be available separate to the base CubeCart product. The author will be making versions of the mods for CubeCart V4 - which he didn't want to do until recently, because CubeCart V4 was somewhat unstable at the time and has only just now achieved a standard where he will produce the mods for it.

With such a diverse range of Shopping Cart products out there, it's getting to the stage where we might just bite the bullet to get something up and running that can handle the requirements we have currently identified.

Also, being based on PHP, I am really itching to develop my programming skills and get my hands dirty. I wrote my first program when I was in high school on a computer the size of three large refrigerators and started my programming career writing applications programs on an IBM mainframe using assembler. Yes, I could pick up a hex dump and read through the instructions. I still have my 'Yellow card'!!

The one thing I AM really conscious of is that, with the internet, I not only have to write resilient code in consideration of application requirements - I also have to write it with hackers in mind, too!

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »
My preference from my own perspective - Cubecart vs OsCommerce - is for OsCommerce.

The reason is that, although it may take a while to get a handle on working out what to do, how to edit and adapt it, change the layout, change some functionality and options, etc., it is in my opinion the one that DOES offer the most functionality.

You do have to be either PHP-savvy or prepared to learn some PHP.

It's not a quick start option, but it's the one for which there are many, many community-based add-ons, and for which you can create your own to suit your specifications.

Drawbacks: steep learning curve, and the OsCommerce community is not as active as it once was with regards to giving helpful advice. (This may change again.) Oh, and you should keep the little footnote stating that it's OsCommerce, but since you can change the appearance of this as you wish, and it can be blended in very tastefully as well as acknowledging the source code, I don't consider this a problem.

Pluses: Many, many questions have already been asked in the community forums, so that a thorough search may well elicit the answer you need anyway; there are many add-ons; you get the entire source code; you can make the thing look pretty much as you want (not just an offering of "skins" or "templates" - you get to play with the whole look); you can use an add-on for importing and exporting new products, as long as the product code is entered; you can enter manually; you can tailor it to particular postage costs per weight of total order; you can tailor it to the payment options YOU want to offer (including your merchant payment gateway)... Also... it's free. Completely. Completely free. You are free to change anything you want. Add-ons don't cost anything. There's no extra "special" version with more features. It is just... free.

It's not ideal, and it's not the easiest of options. I can see why other carts such as Cubecart are popular, as they are simpler to deal with and can look so much easier when you have to change something.

Functionality to my specifications and control in my hands were two of my major concerns when deciding on OsCommerce. Cost was another factor.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »
The IT in me leans towards OsCommerce - but the learning curve is the issue. A pragmatic solution is required where the timeline is a major factor. Some of the essential mods for CubeCart required for our situation are available. Subject to detailed examination of the essential requirements, it is likley to be a business decision to go with the CubeCart+mods option.

My seller's fees have now passed 25% of gross sales and they have a growing following that are waiting for the website to open. Unsustainable ... and it's getting worse.

Anyway, things are on hold for the next 2 days ... I've been conscripted into preparations for an 18th Birthday party tomorow.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 02:19:09 PM »
....but I really want to get PHP under my belt!!!!!!!!!!

(for starters ... :) )

bnwt

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 08:26:41 AM »

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
Thanks for that BNWT, but not going to be heading in any of those directions.

Overheads are going to be based on hosting and software costs - not inventory or sales.