Author Topic: The Chris Dawson Q & A Thread regarding "best Match"  (Read 44823 times)

TameBayChris

• New Knight
    • TameBay
Re: The Chris Dawson Q & A Thread regarding "best Match"
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2009, 11:05:58 PM »
Polish up the crystal ball for this one.....

The inference from your last post is that things should stabilise over time and a better reflection of 'best match' actually approaching it's intention will come.

Any thoughts on when ..?  (How long do we hold our breath?)

eBay will never stabilise - sadly they'll always find something to tinker with, but yes over time more desirable listings should rise to the top... until eBay make another change

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2009, 11:07:31 PM »
Have eBay got the balance right? Not yet. Does Best Match help? Yes, because every time a buyers sees (a search impression) and doesn't buy (a sale) the score on that listing goes down so through best match buyers will eventually determine what's a quality listing and what's a less desirable listing.

I have one reservation on that .... It relies on buyers being persistent enough to have made enough 'impressions' and purchasing to bore through the rubbish.  In some of the niche areas, they may just give up before getting there or buy something sub-standard because that's all they found (by not examining ALL the pages of the returned search results).

TameBayChris

• New Knight
    • TameBay
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2009, 11:07:47 PM »
hi Chris - only if you have time.
I only sell auction and always start at 99 cents.
I have 4.9, 5, 5, 5 stars
I always get good prices.
does best match disadvantage me
cheers

Best Match doesn't affect you in the slightest! :-D Auctions are sorted time ending soonest and the only thing you have to worry about is not dropping DSRs to become sub-standard and being demoted in search. Other than that you've nothing to worry about other than your listing title and item specifics to make sure your products get found in the search recall

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2009, 11:11:50 PM »
The sense I get is that whoever is involved in inputting ideas, and the majority of those making the decisions, and all of those involved in implementing those ideas (technically), actually don't use eBay. They approach it from an ivory tower perspective where the ivory comes from the tusks of their own dead white elephant graveyard of comprehension. New "changes" seem to be rolled out without regard to whether they're of any use.

It reminds me a little of the way Sultan Moulay Ismael would tear down the back-breaking work of his unfortunate white slaves during and after the Restoration period. (Giles Milton - "White Gold".) Pointless, pointless, pointless...
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

TameBayChris

• New Knight
    • TameBay
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2009, 11:14:55 PM »
Chris, can you confirm that there are some aspects of the "best match" algorithm that are not known to the general public, and which may be presenting results that are sometimes quite noticeably different to what the buyer wants to see?

I don't know about other sites but in the UK everything that's "in" best match is on http://tamebay.com/2009/11/best-match-secrets-part-2-how-products-are-sorted.html

The part eBay tinker with is what is "best value". Currently eBay consider the best value to be the rate at which an item sells but that has changed in the past.

Often changes are tests which eBay are constantly running to verify what works and what doesn't

TameBayChris

• New Knight
    • TameBay
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2009, 11:18:59 PM »
I have one reservation on that .... It relies on buyers being persistent enough to have made enough 'impressions' and purchasing to bore through the rubbish.  In some of the niche areas, they may just give up before getting there or buy something sub-standard because that's all they found (by not examining ALL the pages of the returned search results).

The sense I get is that whoever is involved in inputting ideas, and the majority of those making the decisions, and all of those involved in implementing those ideas (technically), actually don't use eBay. They approach it from an ivory tower perspective where the ivory comes from the tusks of their own dead white elephant graveyard of comprehension. New "changes" seem to be rolled out without regard to whether they're of any use.

It reminds me a little of the way Sultan Moulay Ismael would tear down the back-breaking work of his unfortunate white slaves during and after the Restoration period. (Giles Milton - "White Gold".) Pointless, pointless, pointless...

For sure there was a long bedding in period when Best Match was introduced and sellers saw very volatile search results and sales.

I've often complained that eBay 1) Don't use the site enough and 2) Don't share enough valuable information -  The second is a view shared by Dan Wilson who used to work for eBay

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2009, 11:19:37 PM »

thats the first comparision that sprang to my mind to Countess  :rofl:

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2009, 11:23:06 PM »

Often changes are tests which eBay are constantly running to verify what works and what doesn't

While the logic of doing this live is obvious, the morality of it is abhorrent - especially when it is directly affecting sales and income of sellers.

* steps off soapbox *

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2009, 11:25:24 PM »
Smee, I knew we'd be on the same wavelength here... Would you like to borrow my copy of Harald's Chronicle of the Slavs, which may provide you with some other apt comparisons?

Chris, have you noticed at all any difference in the type of "best match" results on different eBay sites?

When I look for antique items, I don't even bother checking on eBay.com.au. Even though I'd specify the same search terms, and tick "Worldwide", I would get only a fraction of the results that I'd receive if I checked on eBay.co.uk with the exact same search terms.
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is ...a part of the maine; ...any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde"

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2009, 11:27:19 PM »
Smee ....?

Smee ....?

(I think his eyes have glazed over.......)

TameBayChris

• New Knight
    • TameBay
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2009, 11:32:08 PM »
Smee, I knew we'd be on the same wavelength here... Would you like to borrow my copy of Harald's Chronicle of the Slavs, which may provide you with some other apt comparisons?

Chris, have you noticed at all any difference in the type of "best match" results on different eBay sites?

When I look for antique items, I don't even bother checking on eBay.com.au. Even though I'd specify the same search terms, and tick "Worldwide", I would get only a fraction of the results that I'd receive if I checked on eBay.co.uk with the exact same search terms.

I have to admit (shame on me!) to not searching on many International sites and am not particularly well up on International Site Visibility. I would recommend experimenting and listing directly onto the site where you get the most sales

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2009, 11:35:37 PM »
Ah, I'm the other side of the equation - a buyer.

I speak solely as a buyer when I say the "best match" is so frustrating that I immediately set my search parameters automatically to "lowest price" instead.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2009, 12:19:06 AM »
HI CHRIS,

thanks for taking the time out to come here, when ebay introduced "best" match, i began using again a search engine for books (i like mine rare usually and my steak doa) called auction sieve because it took ages on ebays search engine to find what i was looking for across the world and here, now i almost never bother with ebays search engine, its so bad and so commercial, auction sieve finds auctions on ebay for me that ebay rarely if ever finds and around the world.

i think ebay sold out big time by implementing best match and when i do use ebays search engine i hate having to reset it to ending soonest which should be the default, a designer friend said he really hates the fact the ending auctions screen is nowhere on the au home page as it used to be, i never used to look at that but he obviously did. the only positive thing i can say as a regular user about ebays new engine is the random things i find, but really i could do without that.

since when did dsrs mean anything since ebay have destroyed the feedback process virtually? to me ebay is like rats on the treadmill, all the unique things about it and the lovely sellers with special items are gradually leaving imo, there are still some great sellers there for what i buy but rare books, antiques and art arent widgets and (to me) ebay cant see the difference

sorry to be so frank but someone needs to give this feedback

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2009, 12:35:55 AM »
Indeed.

Thank you Chris for your time and input.

I'm sure there are many more twists and turns that we will need to deal with - but when you have stuck with eBay for as long as many of us have, it is an acquired skill.

Will see what else we can dig up for you...

TameBayChris

• New Knight
    • TameBay
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2009, 05:35:30 AM »
Hi gr8-expectations, I have to agree that Best Match isn't ideally suited for rare items. The problem is that by definition there'll only ever be one of a particular item in a certain condition so everything is a unique listings.

Brumby "sticking with eBay" is about right. I remember when you just had to stick up an item with a title and two line description and if you had a picture that made you stand out! Can you imagine selling something without a picture these days? Times change and the one sure thing about selling on eBay is that if a seller isn't constantly changing to keep up with eBay then sadly they're not going to be around for long

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2009, 05:42:18 AM »
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2009, 08:12:06 AM »

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2009, 08:21:41 AM »
Boosting the Thread Ratings:

Greetings Mr. Dawson!  :t2:

Checkout my feedback!
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=898sarahg&ftab=AllFeedback

rontello.com :drummer:

C):-{= <"cheap, shameless plugs are our specialty! "<<

gr8-expectations

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »
Thanks for your reply Chris I appreciate it.

Tello that is excellent feedback and something you can be really proud of m8! well done

wyzeguy60

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2009, 10:20:06 AM »
hey tello

have you mutated ??????

" This great customer has mutated into an awesome multiple bidder. A+++ "

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2009, 12:08:40 PM »
Countessa writes " When I look for antique items, I don't even bother checking on eBay.com.au. Even though I'd specify the same search terms, and tick "Worldwide", I would get only a fraction of the results that I'd receive if I checked on eBay.co.uk with the exact same search terms."

I used to sell a lot internationally now with current items and high Australian dollar and paypal costs and P$P needing expensive registered tracked post I no longer bother. When a seller lists an item they have some choices to offer wordwide or to certain continents. My experience is if you do not tick wordwide but tick north America and Europe for example . Items will often not appear in Europe or north American search. Only worldwide tick will show on all sites.

Most sellers do not sell to Nigeria Etc. You are better ticking worldwide but in listing, list areas not sent to. The other thing I have had a lot of trouble with are eBay's "HELP" programs like turd o lister, ebay is always fiddling if you use those programs your default setting get freequently changed to eBay's new defaults. I find sell something similar the safest way to list.

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »
I do think it's important to forget selling experience and your knowledge of the site and think like a buyer. It's very instructive to sit down with a novice eBay user and watch how they search for something with no input or help. It may surprise you what they do and how little the average buyer knows about using eBay.

Chris I could not agree more and would also use the word "MOST" as well as "AVERAGE" and with eBay constantly "FIDDLING" many buyers are completely confused and out of frustration leave or buy the first thing that seems like good value. Best Mismatch has been a buying boomtime for me in items I collect. Searching by ending soonest or least price I have picked up some real bargains. I also notice what I call the spread has widened. EG. Camera lens I am interested in Pentax 50mm f1.2 in perfect glass condition used to sell in eBay USA $200 to $250, now it is usually $150 to $300

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2009, 01:05:41 PM »
hey tello

have you mutated ??????

" This great customer has mutated into an awesome multiple bidder. A+++ "

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

ENVY!!!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »
Allied Troops are at the ready, Sir!

:sinbin:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »
Thanks for your reply Chris I appreciate it.

Tello that is excellent feedback and something you can be really proud of m8! well done

Yeah. I'm getting slapped here cuz I'm more colorful than YOU!

Ask around.....

TameBayChris

• New Knight
    • TameBay
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2009, 11:01:18 PM »
If anyone still has Best Match questions there's going to be a Webinar on Thursday, November 26th, 2009 at 3.00pm (GMT) hosted by ChannelAdvisor and eBay.

Susanne Kaden, Manager Best Match Europe, eBay will be attending, but bear in mind it's aimed at selling on eBay UK so some Best Match features may differ to what you find on eBay Australia

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2009, 11:02:15 PM »
Thanks, Chris. You've been very helpful and generous with your time, and I hope we see more of you here.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2009, 03:27:10 PM »
...and I hope we see more of you here.

Don't count on it!

He's done.

And so are we.

Next topic, please....

*cupie*

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2009, 03:38:12 PM »
Pay no attention to Tello, Chris...he's American, and the yanks are none too pleased with Ebay's 'Innovative Disruptions' either...That makes 3 English speaking countries that all consider Ebay's 'Innovative Disruptions' anything but Innovative...loss of profit for sellers, loss of choice for buyers....welcome to the strip mall...

Drop in anytime....

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »
Tell him about that "Banned For Life" gig with me and the eBay US Forums!

:tanty:

*CountessA*

• Administrator
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »
To all who were not advised of this already:

Hear ye, hear ye. The party of the first part, known as Tello from Montello, hath been barred for life from the forums of the party of the second part, to wit, eBay's forums. It is hereby admitted that Tello is no angel, yet hath he performed that which calls upon itself such dire and eternal punishment? For lo, he sayeth that it is not so, that this sore thing was because of the parties of the third part, they who have fought against him with the weapon of the report button.

Here endeth the advisement.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2009, 05:52:12 AM »
That works for me!

THX!

Philip.Cohen

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2010, 07:27:24 PM »
Funny, maybe I'm imagining things but eBay gatekeeper, Chris Dawson (eBay: mountcomp), has currently no items listed for sale, no "completed listings" (last 14 days) listed, and no store listings either. Maybe he's given up on eBay too, finally. And yet there are feedbacks left for items sold within the past 14 days! What's going on? More eBay glitches?
“Today we’re dealing with phase two or phase three [he can’t even remember which one] of disruptive innovation. We’ve had the disruption, now we must disrupt our own disruption.”—John Donahoe (2007).

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2010, 08:02:30 PM »
Maybe he has kids on School Holidays? Maybe just having a break? Not everyone keeps listing 24/7/365.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2010, 09:14:55 PM »
Funny, maybe I'm imagining things but eBay gatekeeper, Chris Dawson (eBay: mountcomp), has currently no items listed for sale, no "completed listings" (last 14 days) listed, and no store listings either. Maybe he's given up on eBay too, finally. And yet there are feedbacks left for items sold within the past 14 days! What's going on? More eBay glitches?

""no "completed listings" (last 14 days) listed, and no store listings either. Maybe he's given up on eBay too, finally. And yet there are feedbacks left for items sold within the past 14 days! What's going on? More eBay glitches?""

No Not Glitchs Phil... just the authority / ability to manipulate the beast at will... absolute power to do what he wants with the system at any time he chooses... what spineless employee is going to question him ?....