Author Topic: What camera/s do you use for what shots?  (Read 225564 times)

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
Re: What camera/s do you use for what shots?
« Reply #200 on: April 09, 2010, 05:20:03 PM »
As a reminder - here is how it looked finished.

[attachment deleted by admin]

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #201 on: April 09, 2010, 07:00:15 PM »

You know were going to expect personal portraits of us when you good at it Ubb's ....

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
« Reply #202 on: April 09, 2010, 10:52:38 PM »
It shall be done Yib. I've just gotta get better first.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #203 on: April 09, 2010, 11:40:40 PM »
I think I just made a mistake. I completed a Buy Now for ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 8 EDU VERSION WIN 7, XP, VISTA & have since noticed that it is the educational version for students.

Does anyone know if it will still work for me? I'm not a student.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #204 on: April 09, 2010, 11:42:31 PM »
I think I just made a mistake. I completed a Buy Now for ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 8 EDU VERSION WIN 7, XP, VISTA & have since noticed that it is the educational version for students.

Does anyone know if it will still work for me? I'm not a student.

No idea Ubb's...I'm sure Poddy or Brumby will know for sure...

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2010, 12:08:50 AM »
I contacted the seller & he very kindly cancelled the sale & my payment has been refunded. Very quick service from an obviously fair & reasonable person.

I completed a a request to cancel the transaction for him so he can get his fees back.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2010, 01:20:25 AM »
The student or 'academic' version is exactly the same full-function product as the one you pay full price for.

The only difference is the price - and to get that price, you are supposed to provide evidence of your academic standing.  For students, a current student ID card is all that is necessary, but teachers, lecturers, etc. can also get it at the cheaper price.

Without that evidence, authentic resellers will refuse to sell it to you.  (or they certainly should!)

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #207 on: April 12, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
I just bought a Bevel Master BM-347 Picture Framing Mat Cutter. Got it at a real good price.

I haven't got a clue how to work it but I'll practice & learn.

I'll be able to put borders around my photos.

Another reason I got one is because, I didn't have one, now I have, ripper .

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #208 on: April 12, 2010, 03:50:08 PM »

Another reason I got one is because, I didn't have one, now I have, ripper .

Just call me jealous.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #209 on: April 12, 2010, 09:38:53 PM »
I made a couple of Mat frames for A4 size photos.

I made a couple of mistakes with the first one but the second one worked is good. The measuring must be accurate.

Mistake 1, A 210mm wide photo framed with a 50mm border should have a 310 outer width not 260mm.

Mistake 2, draw the lines on the back of the mat board not the front.

The second effort worked out fine.

Now all I have to do is take photos that will do the mat frames justice, easier said than done.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »
Yippee. I just picked up a Photo Studio Light Tent from Ebay. Ripper.

The Commander In Chief is just shaking her head in stunned disbelief.

She asked me why I wasn't as enthusiastic about helping with the housework. The obvious answer is that it bores me senseless but I didn't say it.

gr8-expectations

« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »
good effort on the frames ub and very wise to avoid the cic's question re housework lol

gr8-expectations

« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2010, 09:15:09 PM »
i am getting one of those light tents for sure one day soon, they look to be very useful and not expensive either

Poddy

« Reply #213 on: April 17, 2010, 06:39:16 AM »
Can ants take up residence in the tents ?

shyer

• Knight of the RT
  • from UBB & yib thank you
« Reply #214 on: April 17, 2010, 12:07:53 PM »
Interesting camera.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_finepix_hs10_review/conclusion/

30 times optical zoom CMOS sensor, hotshoe, manual controls, Raw and 55mm filter thread

gr8-expectations

« Reply #215 on: April 17, 2010, 01:57:36 PM »
looks like a beauty shyer, thanks

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #216 on: April 19, 2010, 10:03:47 AM »
A quick question for all you Melbournians.

Does anyone know if this establishment exists?

Techrific Australia
A.B.N. : 92 664 723 045
Postal Address :           
2711A / 100 Harbour Esplanade
Docklands
VIC 3008
Australia

I can't find any phone numbers.

They have a camera listed on their web site http://www.techrific.com.au/  that looks pretty good but without contacting them I'm reluctant to fork over any dough.

The camera is a Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera TWIN LENS KIT 18-55mm & 55-250mm & is listed for AU$1,389.00

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #217 on: April 19, 2010, 10:07:59 AM »
Birdie .... they crack a mention in this forum ....interesting reading

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1044263.html

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #218 on: April 19, 2010, 10:22:25 AM »
Thanks Smee. I just read the posts on that forum.

It looks like a good place to avoid. I think I should look elsewhere.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2010, 04:46:29 PM »
Smee & everyone else who is interested. I enquired further & contact Techrific Australia regarding the camera (Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera TWIN LENS KIT 18-55mm & 55-250mm). They drop ship from Asia. There is no Australian Canon warranty. 

I contacted Ted's Camera's here in Aust & although they couldn't match Techrific Australia's price, they dropped a couple of hundred of their price, so I bought one from them, ripper.

My next buy might be a top range Hasselblad for around $20,000  (only kidding). The CIC would have to buy it for me though. I better be nice. I even cleaned up the kitchen bench after my lunch today. I shoved everything in the sink.

On a serious note, I want to buy a Macro lense for the new camera in due course. Does anyone have any recommendations?

golden

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2010, 05:17:48 PM »
I realise she is certainly NOT your mother, however as that day approaches we must put on our thinking caps! many women would appreciate a carry handle or something else from the range of accessories!

http://www.thecountryshed.com/50_cal.htm

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2010, 05:19:49 PM »
Excellent suggestion Golden. I should buy one.

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »
I am trying to buy a kit, with lens at $800 in one shipment and body in other$130 dearer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183199-GREY/Canon_2540A002_Macro_Photo_MP_E_65mm.html

Seriously I would use 55-200 with kit of raynox 150 and 250 till you find your wishes. Can sell Raynox later if no longer used. Ebay seems cheapest at moment

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2010, 05:45:29 PM »
I just looked at that lense Shyer. I'd hope to get one like it cheaper than that down the track. I like doing macro photography of small critter & things. The Panasonic I've got does a good job.

Do Raynox lenses fit Canon caneras?

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2010, 06:05:14 PM »
I just looked at that lense Shyer. Do Raynox lenses fit Canon caneras?

That is an EXTREME macro lens, a pro lens. All other macros under $200 stop at 1 to to 1 that one starts at 1 to1 and goes myto 5 times life size.

Raynox fits lens not bodies as long as 55-200 lens filter thread is under 65mm it will fit and sweet spot will be about 100mm in zoom range.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2010, 06:26:58 PM »
Check this information out (suppied by Ted's Cameras). Techrific is at times drop shipper.

TEDS CAMERAS                                                                                       GREY IMPORT

Our products comply with Australian standards
Items may not meet mandatory safety and certification codes, or may not have been handled properly, therefore they may malfunction.

Full technical service is provided at your local Teds Camera Store or authorised service centre.
During the warranty period, any servicing or repairs will be free of charge, provided the camera was bought in the same country as where it was purchased from. (Damage caused by owner's negligence, accident, misuse, do-it-yourself repairs, sand or water is not covered by this warranty).
May not be able to receive full technical support as the warranty is valid only in the country where the camera was purchased from.
Certain dealers selling grey items may not be able to provide technical support as well.
You will also have to pay to have your camera serviced if it was bought from another country.

The manual in the package will be in English.
The manual may not be in the preferred language of your region.
The manual is often a photocopy of the original manual.

Users are able to register their product online to download software and firmware upgrades.
Owners of grey items may not be able to download online software and firmware upgrades available from the manufacturers site, due to incompatible serial numbers.

The software CD included in the package will be an INT (International) version.
Software upgrade is easier if the initial software installation was an INT (International) version.
The software CD included in the package may not be an INT (International) version and as a result, there may be problems involved when wanting to upgrade the software.
The warranty card doesn't state       "Australian Warranty Card"

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2010, 03:17:42 PM »
I just got my new camera, it's a ripper.

I'm charging the battery at this time & then I bash of a few shots.

I guess I better read the instruction book inthe meantime.

I now have to buy a flash, a camera bag & a macro lense F1.8 or F2.8. 

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
Let me know if you have any 'cast-offs', Ubb.  I'm not too far away (I think) for a drive....

.... and reading the instruction book is an excellent idea.  You won't remember everything, but if you get into a tricky situation, you might recollect seeing something about it in the book.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »
Yeah Brum6y. I'm not far down the road from you as the crow flies, I think.

I have taken some photos using the automatic function & the camera does a brilliant job.

The Canon software for this model has a program for Raw in Windows 7 64 bit. so my problem (posted on the computer thread) appears solved.

There is a heap to learn as it has a lot of functions my Panasonic doesn't have.

I took one photo (jpeg) of a weed & after downloading it I blew it right up. The camera picked up what looks like dust in the air, either that or spots on the lense.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2010, 07:35:15 PM »
I have a question for all the camera people.

There is a sloping mirror just behind where the lense screws on in these digital cameras.

Can the lense be cleaned with a soft cloth or will it risk harming it?

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2010, 07:52:59 PM »
tip pepsi in there

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »
Good idea Smee, now why didn't I think of that!

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2010, 09:27:15 PM »
As tempting as using Pepsi Max might be....

The sloping mirror is common to all SLR (Single Lens Reflex) cameras. It ensures the image you are viewing is exactly what the film/sensor will get, since it uses the same lens. With film cameras - this was the only way to get exactly the shot the photographer saw - no parallax error and no approximations for zoom lenses.

Also, by using an optical path for your viewfinder, there is no power needed for you to see the subject.  As well, the main image sensor is protected until the shot is taken, when the mirror flips up out of the way for that instant and then drops back down.

The mirror only serves to reflect an image to the viewfinder, so any dust or other contamination will not affect the image captured.  HOWEVER, it is precisely positioned so that the viewfinder screen is exactly the same distance from the lens as the digital sensor - so when you focus in the viewfinder, the captured image is also in focus.  Contamination on the mirror may affect the ability to focus.

As for cleaning it - Step 1 - Read the Manual!  It should be done with great care - at least that's how I approach it.  It is mounted on a relatively lightweight mechanism, so that it can move quickly and any excessive pressure could affect its position or movement.  If unsure, I might suggest you pop into a reputable photographic store when you have some spare time and run through a couple of these questions with someone who knows what they are talking about.  If you have questions, you can always raise them here.

By far the better way is to PREVENT contamination from getting into that area in the first place.  These are some practices I follow:
 1. Keep a lens ON the camera.  This not only protects the mirror (and sensor!) from contamination getting in, but also means you can just pick up the camera and shoot, if your opportunity for a shot is short.
 2. When storing lenses, keep a lens cap on the front AND rear of each lens to protect both pieces of exposed glass from contamination.  This will also reduce the dust introduced into the body when a lens is fitted.
 3. If you have to remove the lens from your camera for any length of time (and I'm talking minutes and upwards) fit a body cap to the camera body (like a lens cap - but covering the hole where the lens is mounted) to keep out contamination.
 4. When changing lenses,
   (a) make sure (if at all possible) you are not in a place where dust, water or other contaminants are prevalent.  If you can't help it, try and be as protective as possible.
   (b) Before removing any rear lens caps or body caps, giving a quick once over with a blower brush will never go astray.
   (c) Between the time the first lens is removed and the second lens fitted, lay the camera body face down on a dust-free, lint-free surface.  (If it's going to be exposed for any length of time, fit your body cap. Dust floats down more than up - but a wayward grain of sand (or a precision bombing seagull) will be a problem if it finds a target inside the camera body.  The risk of this is very small - but a simple change in orientation makes it infinitesimal.

One last thing, while we are talking about protecting lenses and such ... for any camera that can take filters, go get yourself something like a Skylight 1a filter and keep it permanently on your lens.  Its effect is very subtle, but improves skies and clouds just that little... It hardly makes any difference to exposure and you can confidently ignore the fact that it's even there - BUT - If you get a scratch ... it's much better that it is on a relatively cheap filter (which you could remove and keep shooting) than on your more expensive lens!  Also, cleaning a filter is easier than cleaning a lens!

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2010, 09:29:31 PM »
I have a question for all the camera people.There is a sloping mirror just behind where the lense screws on in these digital cameras.Can the lense be cleaned with a soft cloth or will it risk harming it?

Well it is a little like the mirror in a car, on the passengers sunvisor ,  there to tidy your hair or adjust your warpaint.

Got you.

Yes it can be cleaned, a blower brush the best with camera upside down ie lens face downwards. The mirror has no effect on photo . The mirror is so photograher through viewfinder "SEES" what camera sees. When shutter us pressed the mirror moves up and lens light falls on sensor / film

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #234 on: April 22, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
Shyer is right for the most common cleaning job on the mirror... my comments come from one experience I had where a water droplet had found its way onto the mirror - the resultant contamination required a more physical contact than a blower-brush.

Notice, too, the 'face downwards' orientation mentioned.... It's better for things to fall OUT than to fall IN!

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #235 on: April 22, 2010, 09:39:37 PM »
Thanks Brum6y & Shyer. Very informative advise. I didn't know a lot of that. I certainly didn't know that the mirror only reflects the image so I can see what I'm looking at. I will leave the mirror alone, and everything else.

I will be practicing taking photos in RAW tomorrow. Canon supplies a program that lets me download pictures in RAW format on a Windows 7 64 bit system to their programme, Digital Photo Professional. I can't download RAW straight to Photoshop though.

I have been downloading to Fastone Image Viewer. saving as a TIFF file then transferring to Photoshop.

I wish I could download RAW photos direct to Photoshop it would save a bit of hassle.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #236 on: April 22, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »
If you make sure you have front and back lens caps for all your lenses, a body cap and a blower brush, you're pretty well set.

Oh, having a pack of lens cleaning tissue on hand is good. Any half-decent camera store should have this.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #237 on: April 22, 2010, 09:51:42 PM »
Yep Brum6y, I've got all that stuff.

I will Google Skylight 1a though, I haven't heard of that sort of filter. I normaly use plain old UV filters  or a polarizing filter if I'm trying tp photograph something in the water.

Maybe Ebay has Skylight 1a listed.

Down the track I want to buy a reasonable Macro lense, I like photographing little critters & other small stuff.

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2010, 10:00:42 PM »
I will be practicing taking photos in the RAW

I trust it wont be tooooooooooooo cold in NSW tomorrow

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #239 on: April 22, 2010, 10:06:32 PM »
Yep Brum6y, I've got all that stuff.

I will Google Skylight 1a though, I haven't heard of that sort of filter. I normaly use plain old UV filters  or a polarizing filter if I'm trying tp photograph something in the water.

Maybe Ebay has Skylight 1a listed.

Down the track I want to buy a reasonable Macro lense, I like photographing little critters & other small stuff.

UV filters are good, too.  If you've got them, don't worry about the Skylight ... unless you want to start getting into filter effects...

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2010, 10:06:49 PM »
She'll be right Smee. I'll wear big fluffy slippers. The CIC will never know, she works tomorrow, ripper!

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »
I are a genious.

I took some photos of one of the archers shooting a recurve bow this afternoon. I took some in JPEG & some in Raw.

When I got home I downloaded the photos into the Canon "Digital Photo Professional program" supplied by Canon. After some fiddling I Was able to save them as TIFF files & keep all the megapixels. I was then able to go to Photoshop elements & upload the TIFF photos.

Using Photoshop I was able to improvements.

And they say it can't be done on a Windows 7 64 bit setup.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #242 on: May 01, 2010, 09:13:31 PM »
My latest Macro attempt. Freehand picture of little bee thing. Could be less blury but I took it freehand & should have used a tripod.

I have changed it to JPG. The original photo is in RAW & looks better.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Poddy

« Reply #243 on: May 01, 2010, 09:19:38 PM »
Pretty good effort Ubb:)

If you keep the appature small you can get a better depth of field but to do that you need lots of light.

If you have an outrigger flash that works too if you set things up manually :)

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #244 on: May 01, 2010, 09:29:08 PM »
Yep Poddy. Afterwards I realised I should have used a higher depth of field. The lense (55-250 with macro filter) was about 3 or 4 inches from the critter & I focused by moving the camera back & forward.

These critters are not very obliging, they don't hang around for a second shot.

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #245 on: May 02, 2010, 09:13:40 AM »
.....These critters are not very obliging, they don't hang around for a second shot.

Hi Ubbie getting there fast. Poddy is right flash is the way to go, both to "freeze" body shake and to allow f16/32 for depth of field. The inbuilt camera flashes are useless for maco. There are cheap canon compatiable flashes around, sb600 power and size that are still on camera with hotshoe.  Not $600 canon unit but $100 / 300 or so different name. I use them with a cloth diffuser when out of studio.

The $300 units are as good as canon / nikon / ect. brand in my experience. When in field sooner or later you will drop. lose, get stolen or get wet gear. Fact of life.
The $100 units tend to last the warranty or 1000 flashes which ever comes first. They do not like heat or multible flashes a few seconds apart.

Thus you control light quatity direction (multi) and light colour.  I also use raynox macro filter (keeps me 150 / 300mm away from subject) thus focus not as effected by distance. .A monopod easy to angle move back and forward takes most of weight and reduces body shake by up to 80%.

Another thing is flash temporaily Blinds most living things even in full daylight . A spotlight type effect. Often creates time for follow up shots closer or different angles. Ebay best place to compare prices / features of hardware mentioned.

*Brum6y*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #246 on: May 02, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »
There are lots of things flash photography can deliver and there are some other considerations - but the best advice I can give is just try things out and see what works.  Any particular problems and you can throw a question up here. (I think Shyer might be answering more on flash questions ... I've got the theory, but little recent practice.)

Another thing is flash temporaily Blinds most living things even in full daylight . A spotlight type effect. Often creates time for follow up shots closer or different angles.

Something I learned the easy way (and put my camera back in the car)......

Just don't try doing this around the fairy penguins.  Flash at dusk to evening is quite intense and will blind these little guys - and because they ARE little, people will try and get close-ups, which just makes it so much worse.  It is so much of a concern, at known tourist spots there are rangers out who WILL confiscate any photographic equipment before you get near the beach ... and if they catch you firing off a flash, you'll be in some hot water.

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
« Reply #247 on: May 02, 2010, 08:14:33 PM »
Thanks for the advise Poddy, Shyer & Brum6y. I need all the help I can get.

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #248 on: May 03, 2010, 11:13:41 AM »
'''''Flash at dusk to evening is quite intense and will blind ....... It is so much of a concern, at known tourist spots there are rangers out who WILL confiscate any photographic equipment before you get near the beach ....

Brumby I take your point , any living thing can be upset with flash especailly in low light. However the discussion was about macro and flys ect and flowers do not have that problem. I will also give my weekends play in another post.

shyer

• Knight of the RT
« Reply #249 on: May 03, 2010, 11:19:48 AM »
I had the oportunity to play with the canon sx20is and fujifilm hs10 my results below for what I call a picnic camera.

New Review here of hs10, lots around for sx20

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Fujifilm-FinePix-HS10-13479

Firstly he is talking about a 375 pounds UK price. In australia price is 330 pounds equivelent. Yet the canon is more expensive by similar amount in OZ

I have played with hs10 and canon sx20is deceiding which to keep. Canon sx20 has no raw files, CHDA have beta still in development. hs10 is slow in raw. overall IQ the canon has the edge but not the zoom range. The canon is smaller and lighter and feels more solid. The hs while heavier feels lighter because of size I feel. The canons viewfinder is useable the fuji viewfinder is terriable small view and NO soft rubber to seal out light, flat not curved also nearly flush with LCD. Need no nose to use and smears LCD. I will cut an old soft rubber viewfinder and glue on.

Canons lcd swivels and folds away to protect Fuji screen only tilts however is larger.

I do a lot of macro. The available manual focusing ring on fuji is great. The fuji flash is larger and higher thus in macro more useable

Bottom line for me fuji designer needs nose cut off and eye socket hammered flat. That said I can fix easily. The fuji for me just got nod side by side. Used individually I thought the fuji would walk away.
The decider for me was no canon raw available yet and fuji manual focus ring. Some one else will have different wants.

PM me if you want a sx20 used two days 50 photos or................. maybe not